PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at the current level

See Mom Run
July 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I have been swimming consistently for almost 2 years. I made some good improvements and can swim 1:20/100m all out, and keep 100 interval at 1:55. But I am stuck here for a while. I swim 3/wk for 1hr each, one of which is OW (I am a triathlete). I do lots of drills but tend to take it easy on the interval or any kind of speed work during the tri season. How can I get to the next level? Should I take some more lessons? Should I spend more time on a longer interval or shorter interval? I would like to get faster in a tri swim (800m~1.2mile) but I also would like to improve my time at meets (50~400m).

Another question - My back starts hurting after while when I swim in a wetsuit. Does this tell you anything about my body position and what I should do to eliminate this?

Thanks.

ande
July 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
train harder, push yourself on interval training
train further
train more often
with a coach and a team

find out if you are making any technique mistakes and if you are fix them

read "swim faster faster" and apply the tips you feel would help you most
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229

make up your mind that you are sick and tired of where you've been stuck and that you will break through

ande

I have been swimming consistently for almost 2 years. I made some good improvements and can swim 1:20/100m all out, and keep 100 interval at 1:55. But I am stuck here for a while. I swim 3/wk for 1hr each, one of which is OW (I am a triathlete). I do lots of drills but tend to take it easy on the interval or any kind of speed work during the tri season. How can I get to the next level? Should I take some more lessons? Should I spend more time on a longer interval or shorter interval? I would like to get faster in a tri swim (800m~1.2mile) but I also would like to improve my time at meets (50~400m).

Another question - My back starts hurting after while when I swim in a wetsuit. Does this tell you anything about my body position and what I should do to eliminate this?

Thanks.

m2tall2
July 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I think there's nothing wrong with taking an "active break" from a certain type of training during the year, especially to do a different type of training. Now, during your "active break", which I assume you are at right now since it's the middle of tri season, I wouldn't be shocked if you don't see big improvements in speed. You might fine tune effort and endurance but unless you show up and work the the interval training, you won't get "faster, faster" (using Ande's words). However, once you switch to swimming season, I would think you will step up and do more sprints, and will probably start seeing time drops again. Come to think of it, you mentioned interval drills, but are there ANY sprints in there? Building sets where you get faster each interval?

There are some good suggestions out there on how to choose intervals, one on the NEM master's website.
http://www.swimnem.org/docs/chartguide.html

m2tall2
July 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM
you won't get "faster, faster" (using Ande's words). http://www.swimnem.org/docs/chartguide.html

HAHA! I wrote that before I saw Ande's post. Too funny.

Ande - you're predictable. :)

scyfreestyler
July 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
My personal suggestion is to start swimming longer distances on intervals. For example, swim some 200's on 4:00 to start with and work your interval down from there. I find myself in your shoes from time to time and the piece of advice I have found to be useful is that you need to feel some pain in every practice to make progress.

Donna
July 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Ande's got some great ideas.

Maybe it is time to shake things up abit, the type of workout, the intensity of your efforts in your workout, add an extra session or two.

You didn't mension if you were working out with a team or not. A coach can really help if you don't have one, but if you have a coach do talk to him/her about your goals, stroke technique, training. Set some goals for your practices and stretch yourself to reach them even if it is only 3x100 on 1:20 holding 1:15.

When I needed to shake it up I went from 4 days per week to 6 a year and a half ago. Now I am doing doubles some days for up to 10 workouts per week, this I started about 6 months ago. I also added weightlifting to my routine 2 days per week a month and a half ago.

Each change yeilded improvements in my distance swimming but now I am going to switch focus to sprints and that means a coaching/team change.

knelson
July 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I made some good improvements and can swim 1:20/100m all out, and keep 100 interval at 1:55.

I think you need to start swimming on a tighter interval. I typically swim on an interval per 100 that is 10-15 seconds slower than an all out effort. Yours is 35 seconds. Reducing your interval will make you train closer to your anaerobic threshold (use search for other threads about this) and I think you'll really reap rewards from this.

See Mom Run
July 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks all for your advice.

No, I don't have a coach nor work out in a group, until Oct. when our tri/swim club resumes its group practice. There I get to push myself much harder in a longer session. As m2tall2 said, there is nothing wrong to do a different type of training - I often swim in the evening, several hours after run or bike and a bit tired.... I can't go after everything, can I. I have never done a longer interval, like scyfreestyler suggested. I should try that. Also, knelson answered a question I was going to ask. I should try to reduce the interval and see how many I can do.

Thanks. I had better come here more often to learn more about swimming.