PDA

View Full Version : Overexertion: is it possible to do damage to your lungs?

Syd
July 28th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Overexertion: pushing it to the point where the body is wracked with waves of nausea and you are left gasping for breath. Or overpushing it when you are doing SDK's to the point of nearly passing out and your lungs feel like they are going to burst. Is it possible under either of these circumstances to do damage to the lungs? Like bursting a blood vessel or overstraining the lung muscle? Any docs out there with an opinion on this?

Syd

Mirabella
July 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I don't think your lungs are the issue - what is your pulse when all of this is happending?

geochuck
July 28th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I had a couple of Canadian international coaches who tried to push swimmers to the point you talk about. They said I was lazy, I gave them the four letter word reply and a hand signal.

gull
July 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
No, you won't damage your lungs. A heart attack, on the other hand, is a possibility (a topic which has been discussed on this forum previously). There is a definite risk associated with strenuous (as compared to moderate) exercise, obviously greater in those individuals with heart disease (diagnosed or not).

knelson
July 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM
The nausea thing is interesting. There was another thread about puking during workout and it sounds like this isn't all that uncommon. I don't ever recall in my life felling nauseous from overexertion. I guess this must be something that varies depending on the individual. Some people must be more prone to nausea. I can only recall throwing up once in my adult life and that was due to a serious medical condition that required surgery. Anyway, just thought it was strange how different people react to pushing their bodies to the limit.