PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for 2008 SCY Nationals

Concho Pearl
July 28th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm starting to prepare for Austin, I figure even if I can't make it at least maybe I'll have some improvement.

To prepare how many times a week should I swim. I don't think my schedule will allow 7 days. Currently I'm swimming at the "Y" at least 2-3 days, this week will end with 2 days, we were ready to swim the other day, but a storm can and they had to close the pool. I"ve done weights a few times this summer. Oh my yardage for each swim is 2500 trying to increase to 3000

In Sept I'm thinking 2 days a week coached ( with the age groupers) 1 day at the "Y" and 1 day weights.

Betsy
July 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I don't think 7 days a week is good. When I have tried that, I get so tired that I get discouraged. I aim for 5 days a week. I don't always get to the pool all 5 times, but that is the goal. It works for me and I try to go to both nationals each year. I slack off, but never take a full break, in the fall.

Donna
July 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Swimming with the age groupers will be of benefit to both you and the coach.

Swimming with a team makes me push harder than I would swimming on my own. A coach can also help you correct and fine tune your strokes.

I find it is amazing how masters swimmers appreciate the workouts the coach gives them, and typically they feel free to express their thanks to the coach after a workout more than the kids will. Coach really likes feedback in the form of thanks for their swimmers.

Red60
July 29th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I am also setting a goal of 2008 SCY nationals. I have spent the summer drillling to improve my stroke, and am working my way back to 5x a week and starting weights. I may or may not actually qualify, but at least I'll come close, and it seems you can swim a decent number of events (5?) without formally qualifying.

It's an exciting goal, and the first time I will have worked for a full year to achieve a swimming goal in oh, three decades or so!

Good luck, Concho Pearl!

geochuck
July 29th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Betsy you are right always have at least one day of rest. Get in lots of quality work.

I would wait on doing weights. Spend more time on swimming.

I don't think 7 days a week is good. When I have tried that, I get so tired that I get discouraged. I aim for 5 days a week. I don't always get to the pool all 5 times, but that is the goal. It works for me and I try to go to both nationals each year. I slack off, but never take a full break, in the fall.

The Fortress
July 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Betsy you are right always have at least one day of rest. Get in lots of quality work.

I would wait on doing weights. Spend more time on swimming.

Concho:

I agree with Betsy. Aim to swim 5x a week, or at least 4. You can get some quality work or specialty sprint work in when you swim solo at the Y. 2500-3000 is plenty of yardage when swimming by yourself for a sprinter, if you're doing some quality. Disagree with George on the weights though. Since you are a sprinter, I would do weights at least 2x a week and some drylands focusing on the core. Upper body and core strength will help your sprinting IMHO. Don't bother with that stretching stuff though, right George? ;) Save lots of time there.

Good luck!! :groovy:

Blackbeard's Peg
July 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Concho,
Swim as much as feels comfortable! I don't think many of us can do 7 days a week, and sometimes my average 3-4 is too much!

As for Austin, remember, Cinco de Mayo is the Monday after the conclusion of the meet. Start the :wine: training too! I'm planning on sticking around to witness Austin on May 5!