PDA

View Full Version : Getting Warmed Up--Tips to find rhythm fast.

SwimStud
July 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I always struggle with the first few hundred yards of a swim. I know I could do better if I could reduce the sagging period I suffer at the start of longer races. I loosen off my muscles and feel ok but breathing seems to take forever to get settled. It happened to me in the first 10 miutes of a football match too, then I'd find my lungs.
I'm always terrified of blowing myself out if I get too aggressive in warm up.

What tricks or tips do you guys and girls have that you will share?

Thanks

aquageek
July 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Use the warm-up pool/lanes.

geochuck
July 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
A warm fizzy bath, maybe in warm beer??? See warm up here http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0706.htm

SwimStud
July 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM
A warm fizzy bath, maybe in warm beer??? See warm up here http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0706.htm

this must be part of Peter Cruise's comeback plan...

The Fortress
July 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
What tricks or tips do you guys and girls have that you will share?Thanks

I think many masters swimmers don't warm up enough. When I don't, my first events suffers because I'm not ready to go. The only surefire trick I know of is to make sure you get your heart rate up by doing some off the block sprints. If I'm in a short course pool, I usually do 4 25s all out and then cool down. Some sprint kicking as part of your warm up helps too.

Scottly
July 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
You're lucky that you only struggle with the first hundred yards. I don't compete and I'm probably older but I don't feel like I hit my groove for the first 800 meters. What you want is for your endorhphins to kick in which is probably different for everyone. Find out when that happens (you'll feel it) and do your warm-ups accordingly. I've never felt that a good warm up in any sport has ever tired me out so that I didn't preform at my best for that day. Other factors may contribute to that but not the warm-up.

islandsox
July 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
My warmups take forever compared to most people. Don't know if it's because I'm older, or because I do high mileage. But, the first 800 yds feels just plain awful; everthing hurts and I am warming up, not swimming. The 2nd 800 feels a bit better. I don't feel normal until a mile and a half, then I actually can start doing "my work." I heard this before and don't know for sure if it is true: the better condition you are in, the longer the warm up needs to be. ??

donna

scyfreestyler
July 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I heard this before and don't know for sure if it is true: the better condition you are in, the longer the warm up needs to be. ??

donna

I have heard this before and I can relate; although not to the degree that you speak of. Swimming a 1650+ as a warmup is not my cup of tea.

geochuck
July 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Warm ups are overated, I still like the hot showers and towels.

I have done the loosen up things, a little shaking here and there. A very casual maybe 200 yards if in a pool. If you are swimming a long swim you automatically warm up in your swim to the first bouy. The thing to do before a cold water swim is to wet the body with the cool water so you don't get a shock.

FlyQueen
July 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM
When I used to distance run it took forever for me to get into it. Sometimes 4-5 miles. Swimming I need a good warm-up before I can actually swim fast, which I sometimes forget in my excitement at meets.

SwimStud
July 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM
The thing to do before a cold water swim is to wet the body with the cool water so you don't get a shock.

I do that in winter so the pool feels warm when I get in...

quicksilver
July 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I usually need about a thousand yards to get the rust out each joint.
After an easy 500...I'll do around (10) 50's with a nice break in between each one.

The pace in a crowded warm-up pool is usually hurried...so it's very easy to become part of the frenzy. By having a wrist watch you can carefully monitor your speed and not overdo it. Some people come out of warm-up feeling like they did a work-out.
Fact of the matter is...they did! Control is key.

Think of it as an opportunity to become acquainted with the new pool. Get to know the walls...and the flags (if you're a backstroker.)

Doing a few one lap sprints is important after the initial swim.
It gets the blood rushing ...and wakes your body up for race pace swimming.
Again...not too fast. Save it for the race.

Here's a similar discussion on the Gary Hall (race club) site.
They say he warmed up with a meager 150 yard swim for the Olympic Trials.
Sprinters are a unique animal however.
http://www.theraceclub.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1173

gull
July 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
My typical warm up: 500 swim, 8 x 50 drill/swim, 5 x 100 on cruise interval holding my 1000 pace or 8-10 x 50 on 1:00 holding my 500 pace, then 200 easy. I warm up again before I race with a 200-400 easy followed by some 50's at race pace. Very important to stay warm before you race (which will not be a problem at the Woodlands).

islandsox
July 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM

I have done the loosen up things, a little shaking here and there. A very casual maybe 200 yards if in a pool. If you are swimming a long swim you automatically warm up in your swim to the first bouy. The thing to do before a cold water swim is to wet the body with the cool water so you don't get a shock.

I guess this just goes to show that all of us are so very different in how our bodies actually warm up to get to a race pace of sorts. I guess my joints are pretty rusty because I take forever. A swim to a buoy wouldn't help me at all and the thing that's interesting here is I have ALWAYS needed an extraordinarily long warmup; even when only doing a 800m swim at Nationals. I must've swam at least a 1500 as a warmup; race pace; some sprinting; etc. etc. So I guess there is no magic answer for this. We just have to figure it out and it may even change from year to year. One of my biggest concerns was how I was going to warmup for a 20 mile swim next year? Since this is the summer I am experimenting with hydration/feeding/training, etc., I just know that my first two miles won't feel very well; just have to go through it until the body is ready!! I actually do best when I swim a 400, rest a minute, swim a 400, rest a minute, etc.

geochuck
July 30th, 2007, 08:55 PM
If your swim is an individual swim just start swimming you will warm up very quickly. If it is a race, ride a bike easily to get the blood flowing arrive at the start and everything will workout. I never warmed up before a marathon race the blood and heart were pumping pretty good before the race. It is called excitement.

Karen Duggan
July 30th, 2007, 11:52 PM
The older I get the more warm up I need- I do at least 700 for every event, no matter what it is, usually closer to a 1,000. My last set is always 4 x 50 build up...

The Fortress
July 31st, 2007, 03:42 PM
My typical warm up: 500 swim, 8 x 50 drill/swim, 5 x 100 on cruise interval holding my 1000 pace or 8-10 x 50 on 1:00 holding my 500 pace, then 200 easy. I warm up again before I race with a 200-400 easy followed by some 50's at race pace. Very important to stay warm before you race (which will not be a problem at the Woodlands).

I'd have to pack up and go home after this warm up(s). :cane: Must be the difference between sprinters and distance swimmers. I never do any pace work in warm up. I do a mix of easy swim, kick, drill (usually one arm fly), build, sprint. I am fanatic about doing some 25s off the blocks at about 80% or so. I never warm up before each race unless there is a super long time between events. Even then, if I've had a couple races already, no harm in sitting around. I think I had 1.5 hours of rest or so before my 50 fly against Muppet.

gull
July 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM
I'd have to pack up and go home after this warm up(s). :cane: Must be the difference between sprinters and distance swimmers.

It takes me a very long time to warm up. Trust me, if I could sprint, I would.

3strokes
July 31st, 2007, 10:19 PM
I think many masters swimmers don't warm up enough.

I never warm up enough, when the water's too cold (for me.)

I know that a lot of Masters (and Forumites) complain when the water's too warm, but I don't recall any post ranting or complaining about the water being too cold. I like it warmish (Hey, that's ME! No criticism of others implied.)

I have been to a couple of LCM meets (We only have one of these per year in Ottawa) where even real (i.e., born and bred) Canadians complained that the water was too cold. I got out after just a 100m of warm-up(?) as I just couldn't take it. On these two occasions, I just swam the 50m free (and scratched the 100m free). When the water's cold -again, for me- I can't breathe. What really irked ME, is that those were two years when I felt really good and where I thought I could get PBs (as a Master. I'll never approach my PBs of 44 years ago..........)

My best swims (meets or just swims) are when 90% of the swimmers are complaining that the water's too warm. But that's when I swim easier, faster, higher, smoother and hardly ever need a long warm-up period.

Midas
August 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
When I was an age-grouper I used to have this set warm-up that I did before every meet. I think it was about 800-1200 yards but can't for the life of me remember any more. That really has me bummed out as my warm-up was more of an OCD ritual than anything and I'm concerned that my first race back (I'm just recently back in the pool after over a decade) will suffer because of it. :blush:

Blackbeard's Peg
August 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
The former egyptian olympian on my team warms up the same as he did as a younger, olympic lad:
show up 30 minutes before event goes off; warm shower; jog laps in the locker room; come out 3 minutes before race and take all clothes off, jog to the blocks; swim (fast).

seems to work for him.

at our terrapin cup meet, my warmup was the 50 fly, 100 free and a 50 in a relay. then went out and swam my 2nd fastest 400 ever. granted, leslie did beat me in the fly.

3strokes
August 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
The former egyptian olympian on my team warms up the same as he did as a younger, olympic lad:
show up 30 minutes before event goes off; warm shower; jog laps in the locker room; come out 3 minutes before race and take all clothes off, jog to the blocks; swim (fast).

Hi Peg (Somehow "Peg" --short for Blackbeard's Peg-- does not sound right.)

I'd be curious to find out that Egyptian's name. Probably way after my time (I used to swim nationally, not Olympically, back in the early 60's) and his style of warm-up does not sound like anyone from around my decade (+or-). Also, what club did he use to swim for?

Thanks
Ahmed

geochuck
August 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
All the Egyptians I knew did just that. I also saw them kicking around a socker ball in the dressing rooms or the tent we used to change in.

3strokes
August 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
The former egyptian olympian on my team........................ snip ..............; warm shower; jog laps in the locker room; come out 3 minutes before race and take all clothes off, jog to the blocks; swim (fast).

all ? and they still allowed him to swim instead of arresting him?

Sorry. Just couldn't resist.

The Fortress
August 2nd, 2007, 10:25 PM

seems to work for him.

at our terrapin cup meet, my warmup was the 50 fly, 100 free and a 50 in a relay. then went out and swam my 2nd fastest 400 ever. granted, leslie did beat me in the fly.

The fly warmed you up enough for the free!

I will say my teammate, Wally Dicks, never does much for warm up. Never sprints much. Loosens up in the pool and sits around. Sure works for him. I'm tempted to try this "egyptian" warmup. I did a version of it once, last December. Cruised into a Terrapin SCM meet late, slept in, hopped in the warm up pool ever so briefly. Did my fastest 50 fly SCM ever. Next day repeated same procedure for the 100 IM. I would do this for zones on Sunday, Jeff, but I fear I am expected to swim in a relay first thing. So no sleepy time for me.

SwimStud
August 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
The fly warmed you up enough for the free!

I will say my teammate, Wally Dicks, never does much for warm up. Never sprints much. Loosens up in the pool and sits around. Sure works for him. I'm tempted to try this "egyptian" warmup. I did a version of it once, last December. Cruised into a Terrapin SCM meet late, slept in, hopped in the warm up pool ever so briefly. Did my fastest 50 fly SCM ever. Next day repeated same procedure for the 100 IM. I would do this for zones on Sunday, Jeff, but I fear I am expected to swim in a relay first thing. So no sleepy time for me.

Oh Leslie you'll be up and raring to get to the meet knowing I'll be there...:party2: