PDA

View Full Version : Life Rant

ande
July 31st, 2007, 04:37 PM
I created swim rant, now there's life rant in NSR,
rant to your hearts content about the things and people that bug you. State your case, please be funny and good natured.

Here's mine

I don't like people who don't know how to merge on highway access ramps. They don't get going the speed of traffic and slide into their slot.
They stop at the end of ramps and wait for an opening, thus backing of a line of cars and drivers who mumble obscenities about idiots who don't know how to properly merge.

What would you like to rant about today?

A

gull
July 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM
People that honk at you even though you have out of state license plates and obviously don't know your way around yet.

knelson
July 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't like people who don't know how to merge on highway access ramps.

How about the people who insist on merging in before they're supposed to and then they're in your way when you actually try to merge in the correct area!

Also, people camp out in the lefthand lane of a freeway drives me insane. There are signs posted everyone stating "stay right except to pass" yet they just remain in that left lane like they own it. I don't care if they are going the speed limit or not. That lane is for passing and they should allow faster drivers to go by without having to pass them on their right.

KenChertoff
July 31st, 2007, 06:44 PM
A very timely thread. My rant du jour is people who block the doors to the subway car. (Like any good Manhattanite, I don't drive to work -- I take the subway.) I had to fight my way off the car tonight. You'd think they'd realize that there would be more room if they'd let people off. :bitching:

CreamPuff
July 31st, 2007, 09:45 PM
Lovely timing!

And now for a female rant (let's keep the taunting down to a medium sized dose). . .

I'm not loving the withdrawal effects I'm having from going off Orthotricyclin (was on it for 15 yrs). Can we say hormonal imbalance?!

Am basically going through menopause and puberty at the same time.
I go from :mad: to :bouncing: to :mooning: within a few minutes!

Have hit a time frame where I am experiencing daily:

Hot flashes
Severe headaches/ migraines
Nausea
Major fatigue/ crashing
Mood swings
Attention span of a fly
General confusion

Feel like :cane: when I'm swimming.

Doc's solution was to give me more pills for the migraine. I asked what the side effects were. Said some people get increased/ rapid heart rate. And, "Very rarely, certain people, even some without heart disease, have had serious heart-related problems when taking xxx." ie., sounds like your heart explodes. Don't think that will serve me well during my 800 free and 200 fly. Did I mention I have an out of state meet this weekend? I swear I will try acupuncture first.

Current mood: :thhbbb: with a side of :mooning:

3strokes
July 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Lovely timing!

Doc's solution was to give me more pills .... I asked what the side effects were. Said some people get increased/ rapid heart rate. And, "Very rarely, certain people, even some without heart disease, have had serious heart-related problems when taking xxx."

I would stay away from XXX; it does have that effect on most people (Videos and/or magazines).

CreamPuff
July 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM
I would stay away from XXX; it does have that effect on most people (Videos and/or magazines).

There go my weekend plans! :laugh2:

3strokes
July 31st, 2007, 10:02 PM
(More) idiot drivers who, at rush hour, and in order not to have to take their proper (going through) lane, will use the "Exit right..........Must exit........right-hand lane" and then -as if they are the most important thing in God's creation- cut in, in front of everybody else who has been patiently queueing/waiting/hardly moving in their correct lanes.

It's at times like these (i.e., daily, weekdays) that I envy Americans' right to bear arms.

Where is that Smith & Wesson or Colt or Browning (or, even better, AK-47) smiley when you need it?

3strokes
July 31st, 2007, 10:06 PM
I swear I will try acupuncture first.

All kidding aside, yes, do please consider Acupuncture. It did wonders for me when I had Rotator Cuff sprain/strain/injury (to three of the four RC muscles). When the Acupuncturist knows what he/she is doing, of course. (I found out that the pressure point for my right shoulder, was somewhere on my left knee. Go figure!)

CreamPuff
July 31st, 2007, 10:18 PM
All kidding aside, yes, do please consider Acupuncture. It did wonders for me when I had Rotator Cuff sprain/strain/injury (to three of the four RC muscles). When the Acupuncturist knows what he/she is doing, of course. (I found out that the pressure point for my right shoulder, was somewhere on my left knee. Go figure!)

I'm going to give it a go next week. Although this acupuncturist is highly recommended, I've been warned that he doesn't speak English too well, he's in a sketchy part of town, and he's been known to accidentally leave the occasional needle in those who are of the extra hairy persuasion. . . :shakeshead:

The Fortress
July 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM
Lovely timing!

And now for a female rant (let's keep the taunting down to a medium sized dose). . .

I'm not loving the withdrawal effects I'm having from going off Orthotricyclin (was on it for 15 yrs). Can we say hormonal imbalance?!

Hot flashes
Nausea
Major fatigue/ crashing
Mood swings
Attention span of a fly
General confusion

Doc's solution was to give me more pills for the migraine. I asked what the side effects were. Said some people get increased/ rapid heart rate. And, "Very rarely, certain people, even some without heart disease, have had serious heart-related problems when taking xxx." ie., sounds like your heart explodes. Don't think that will serve me well during my 800 free and 200 fly. Did I mention I have an out of state meet this weekend? I swear I will try acupuncture first.

ROFLMAO -- but not at you. This sounds oddly like me without the migranes for the last several years. I have been off that stuff since baby #3, but I'm assured by my doc that I'm suffering from old lady symptoms that could continue for many years (you're not old enough -- you generally need to be at least 40). Did your doc happen to mention whether and how long it might take for your body to return to normal from the withdrawl? You didn't mention insomnia ... that's often hormonally induced. So thank someone for small favors.

I feel your pain! I hate those hot flashes, especially in the middle of the night. One reason why I detest hot pools too. Feel like I'm suffocating. So excuse me while I selfishly go turn the AC down to frigid.

Now, I will rant about child #3. Why, oh why, when there is no reason to wake up early, is my kid waking me up at 6:15 am in the summer?! (Sorry, if this sounds late to anyone, but I usually go to sleep at 12:30-1:00.) I can't fall back asleep and am getting crabby from sleep deprivation. :snore: So are my older kids. Can I please have some sleep in August?! Otherwise, I am forced to swear in the car at all the drivers I detest ...

newmastersswimmer
July 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM
I can't stand drivers that clogg up traffic by traveling in the left lane with their cruise control on staying right next to some slow driver in the right hand lane so that no one can pass them unless they pass them on the shoulder....often times an 18 wheeler will cruise for miles in the left lane to pass another 18 wheeler forcing everyone else to drive 10 miles under the speed limit for 5 to 10 minutes at a time before the left lane eventually opens up.....I always look in my rear view mirror and try and leave faster drivers enough space to pass me if they wish.....it just seems like common courtesy to me.....its amazing how many selfish drivers there are out there that seem completely oblivious to the drivers behind them who want to pass though?? Its hard for me to understand drivers like that??

Peter Cruise
August 1st, 2007, 02:34 AM
I don't like talking to the telephone company's voice activated software to try and arrange internet service for the days (regular) that I'm working away from home in Victoria and staying in a basement apartment. Like I'm yelling at this voice recognition software that can't conceive of such a circumstance, so it puts me on hold for an hour and a half listening to insipid soft rock while offering job opportunities as customer service rep. which is what I wait for. The upshot? No internet for a week, despite my new apt. being wired and a previous account ending tomorrow the day I take possession. It takes a week to throw a switch...

Swimmy
August 1st, 2007, 07:27 AM
Pedestrians! They cross 4-6 lane roads without even looking. I had one jump in front of my car on my way to an early am practice. Barely saw her and stopped in time. Cross in the crosswalks, people!
:doh:

CreamPuff
August 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM
ROFLMAO -- but not at you. This sounds oddly like me without the migranes for the last several years. I have been off that stuff since baby #3, but I'm assured by my doc that I'm suffering from old lady symptoms that could continue for many years (you're not old enough -- you generally need to be at least 40). Did your doc happen to mention whether and how long it might take for your body to return to normal from the withdrawl? You didn't mention insomnia ... that's often hormonally induced. So thank someone for small favors.

I feel your pain! I hate those hot flashes, especially in the middle of the night. One reason why I detest hot pools too. Feel like I'm suffocating. So excuse me while I selfishly go turn the AC down to frigid.

Now, I will rant about child #3. Why, oh why, when there is no reason to wake up early, is my kid waking me up at 6:15 am in the summer?! (Sorry, if this sounds late to anyone, but I usually go to sleep at 12:30-1:00.) I can't fall back asleep and am getting crabby from sleep deprivation. :snore: So are my older kids. Can I please have some sleep in August?! Otherwise, I am forced to swear in the car at all the drivers I detest ...

Hey, the only way I'm getting through this is by swimming and humor!

Doc told me, "everyone reacts differently" when they go off the pill. I pay for this information?! I've read three months to a year!? Ugh. My meet this weekend is my last concern. I'm more concerned about how to make it through the tough practices after this meet.

Man, it sounds like old lady syndrome. Maybe they can let me swim in an older age group. Oh wait. Never mind. They are as fast as my 35-39 age group. :laugh2:

No sleep deprivation. More like crash and burn.

Good luck to you in your upcoming zones meet. I almost went to that meet, but it turns out that Orlando is an easy drive for us. And it's Florida.

SwimStud
August 1st, 2007, 08:15 AM
People that honk at you even though you have out of state license plates and obviously don't know your way around yet.

"Don't mess with Texas!"
;)

SwimStud
August 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM
A very timely thread. My rant du jour is people who block the doors to the subway car. (Like any good Manhattanite, I don't drive to work -- I take the subway.) I had to fight my way off the car tonight. You'd think they'd realize that there would be more room if they'd let people off. :bitching:

Easy fix...make like you need to barf...they'll move...

I once atteded a big industry dinner at the Waldorf. It was black tie etc, and I rode the subway in from Astoria, Queens looking mildly overdressed in my dinner suit, but the subway was less hassle than a car or taxi. When the train arrived at 59th Street a mob formed on the platform outside the doors and were not "parting" to let folks off. I stood in the centre of the doors as they opened and sharply threw my arms up in "zombie" pose (oh yeah, I was seriously going to physically push anyone out of my way as I was not about to squeeze and tussle through a crowd and wrinkle my shirt). Almost as if by magic the people looked totally confused and wary of my action and I made my way without so much as a shoulder rub. New Yorkers do not like to be touched...

Remember in NYC there are 2 types of people: Loonies and people who are scared of loonies. Act like a loonie from time to time and see what happens.

SwimStud
August 1st, 2007, 08:28 AM
Lovely timing!

Hot flashes
Nausea
Major fatigue/ crashing
Mood swings
Attention span of a fly
General confusion

If Mr (S)he-Man needs the refuge of a couch....wait that will probably just trigger of Mrs Stud...looks like we're all doomed then. Ahmed...these crazy chicks are exactly the reason why we shouldn't have the right to bear arms...you never know when they'll go bonkers!

:bolt:

PS Yes Ladies--I'm kidding. I know it's generally the guys that go bonkers...Stud loves you all very much...

The Fortress
August 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM
Hey, the only way I'm getting through this is by swimming and humor!

Doc told me, "everyone reacts differently" when they go off the pill. I pay for this information?! I've read three months to a year!? Ugh. My meet this weekend is my last concern. I'm more concerned about how to make it through the tough practices after this meet.

Man, it sounds like old lady syndrome. Maybe they can let me swim in an older age group. Oh wait. Never mind. They are as fast as my 35-39 age group. :laugh2:

No sleep deprivation. More like crash and burn.

Good luck to you in your upcoming zones meet. I almost went to that meet, but it turns out that Orlando is an easy drive for us. And it's Florida.

I hope it's just three months!! I can't recall anyone I know having that problem before ... Hormones just generally suck. It's tough for others to understand when something takes involuntary possession of your body.

Are you going to DisneyWorld again?! Is this trip for that looooong swim you're doing?

FindingMyInnerFish
August 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM
My tendency to attract crowds....

No, I'm not famous, not a celebrity, and no, the crowds are not papparazi.... If I were famous enough to have papparazi following me, I'd no doubt have "people" to take care of them.

But no, my ability to attract crowds goes like this:

7 a.m. Run into supermarket at what should be a down time. No one in line at any of the registers... until I come with my two or three items to the express line. Then everyone in the county is suddenly in front of me.

Out for a run: find a nice lightly traveled street...probably three cars go down that street in maybe an hour... all in the five to ten minutes I'm running there. (My bf had an even tougher time... he chose an business campus that on a Sunday morning should have been deserted. Of course, that was the morning some big event was going on...)

Off-peak trolley... great... chance to sit down, read, zone out a little. Oops! School let out early (and what's with this early dismissal stuff anyway... but that's another rant) and 15,000 high school kids crowd the trolley (okay, I exaggerate, only 14,999), their voices definitely not the "indoor voices" your parents told you to use... and if there's one person in a seat, that person's backpack and/or legs are in the space next to him/her.

Yes, for some reason, every where I go, people follow me. It's a plot, I tell ya! :violin:

Oh wait! I bet it's my network. I do have a Verizon cell phone. :doh: But the Network they show on their tv ads usually consists of people over 21.... That doesn't explain the kids... unless they're Network people in disguise. ;)

SwimStud
August 1st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Oh wait! I bet it's my network. I do have a Verizon cell phone. :doh: But the Network they show on their tv ads usually consists of people over 21.... That doesn't explain the kids... unless they're Network people in disguise. ;)

LOL what do you thnk they do when your phone is not in use???

knelson
August 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
its amazing how many selfish drivers there are out there that seem completely oblivious to the drivers behind them who want to pass though??

I don't think they're generally oblivious, Jim. They know you're there, but think they're going fast enough and, by God, have the right to be in whatever lane they please.

globuggie
August 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
A little rant - I'm doing chem research at my college this summer, and my professor is never around when anyone needs help. He always hangs out in his office, a good 5 minute walk away (half of it outside in 80-90 degree weather) and prefers for us to call him on a live video chat thing. He's an awkward person to start off with, and the video chat makes it a whole lot worse.

imspoiled
August 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Re: bad/selfish drivers--
We have a saying that my husband coined and I adopted: "(Kids) Don't grow up to be a moron or a bad driver!" The kids even know when to use it now, but it took a little explaining for them to understand that while the two often occur together, they could also be mutually exclusive.

My own Life Rant:

People who stop at the top (or bottom) of an escalator. Is it really so hard to understand that just because you got off the moving staircase, it doesn't mean that others behind you have also stopped moving? :frustrated: This is especially disturbing if the offending party has a baby stroller.

3strokes
August 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM
It takes a week to throw a switch...

I guess it all depends which "finger" they use............ and their automated-attendants which will -sometimes- accept voicemails will never take pictures of us trying to send them a "digital" message (if you get my drift).

We all feel what you're going through, Peter.

newmastersswimmer
August 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
My tendency to attract crowds....

No, I'm not famous, not a celebrity, and no, the crowds are not papparazi.... If I were famous enough to have papparazi following me, I'd no doubt have "people" to take care of them.

But no, my ability to attract crowds goes like this:

7 a.m. Run into supermarket at what should be a down time. No one in line at any of the registers... until I come with my two or three items to the express line. Then everyone in the county is suddenly in front of me.

Out for a run: find a nice lightly traveled street...probably three cars go down that street in maybe an hour... all in the five to ten minutes I'm running there. (My bf had an even tougher time... he chose an business campus that on a Sunday morning should have been deserted. Of course, that was the morning some big event was going on...)

Off-peak trolley... great... chance to sit down, read, zone out a little. Oops! School let out early (and what's with this early dismissal stuff anyway... but that's another rant) and 15,000 high school kids crowd the trolley (okay, I exaggerate, only 14,999), their voices definitely not the "indoor voices" your parents told you to use... and if there's one person in a seat, that person's backpack and/or legs are in the space next to him/her.

Yes, for some reason, every where I go, people follow me. It's a plot, I tell ya! :violin:

So do you ever hear the voice of Rod Sterling somewhere in the background during any of these overcrowding incidents? LOL!

And yes Kirk, I agree that more often than not those selfish drivers are aware of the people behind them but simply don't care. Maybe its just a symptom (along with many others) for how self centered many people have become these days.....Which kind of ties into what Dana said about being a moron and being a bad driver not necessarily having anything to do with one another.

Les and Kristina: Sorry to hear about the medication/ female issues....I don't know how long I could deal with stuff like that because I need my sleep and my semblance of sanity to make it from day to day! Sounds like the symptoms should subside though as you get use to the withdrawel?

Bork

FindingMyInnerFish
August 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM
So do you ever hear the voice of Rod Sterling somewhere in the background during any of these overcrowding incidents? LOL!
Bork

Oooooh... I wondered who that guy was who always came in with the voice-over! :doh: :joker:

3strokes
August 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Some of the most annoying TV lines (and their variations).

Don't touch that remote
Don't go away
We'll be right back
(all of the above specially when you KNOW that the actual
program is over and that after the commercial, they'll come back just for the closing credits.)
And yet they believe, they KNOW that there are millions of spectators out there who will actually wait for them to come back.

News programs (specially CNN) that use "teasers" (more on that, after the break, or, in the second half) so that you stay tuned. For myself, no matter how interesting (the subject matter would have been), I make it a point to click away.

And the worst of all, for me:

"What are you waiting for? Call NOW!"

Sometimes, when I'm in the mood, I will call. And waste the operator's time (I know it is not their fault; they're only working there. Poor sods! But still................) I'll make like a moron and confess I called because a "voice" told me to call the number on the screen. "No. I do not need product "X" -or "XXX", as the case may be- but I always obey the "voice"."

newmastersswimmer
August 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Some of the most annoying TV lines (and their variations).

Don't touch that remote
Don't go away
We'll be right back
(all of the above specially when you KNOW that the actual
program is over and that after the commercial, they'll come back just for the closing credits.)
And yet they believe, they KNOW that there are millions of spectators out there who will actually wait for them to come back.

News programs (specially CNN) that use "teasers" (more on that, after the break, or, in the second half) so that you stay tuned. For myself, no matter how interesting (the subject matter would have been), I make it a point to click away.

And the worst of all, for me:

"What are you waiting for? Call NOW!"

Sometimes, when I'm in the mood, I will call. And waste the operator's time (I know it is not their fault; they're only working there. Poor sods! But still................) I'll make like a moron and confess I called because a "voice" told me to call the number on the screen. "No. I do not need product "X" -or "XXX", as the case may be- but I always obey the "voice"."

Voice eh? Isn't it more like many different voices now Ahmed? Its o.k. to tell us all about it though o.k......its not like I'm forwarding all of these messages to the proper Canadian authorities or something right! We are all friends here now o.k.! ;)

3strokes
August 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
its not like I'm forwarding all of these messages to the proper Canadian authorities or something right! We are all friends here now o.k.! ;)

The words "proper" and "authorities", in the same phrase, form an oxymoron, (or a multi-moron when "authorities" is plural.)

Tomorrow is a Civic (Statutory) holiday in most of Canada. Today is a Sunday when, normally, Beer and Liquor stores close at 18:00 (6PM).
So, I cut my 5 to 6 PM (Adult Lane) swim short at around 5:30, make it to the Beer store at 5:40-ish to find it closed and Zero beers in the house.
I was expected for dinner and therefore could not have made it in time to drive over the Ottawa river to Quebec, where their Beer-selling hours and locales (i.e., Convenience, corner stores) are the ONLY good thing about them. (I must also confess that Quebec women in general, including immigrants, are prettier and sexier. I love Summer and scant (feminine) attire.) What's my rant?, you ask? Summer's too short and Beer should be sold wherever and whenever.

I would :drink: but :drink: are :notworking:

swimshark
August 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM

I can relate and know how much it sucks. I have been in medically induced menopause twice for fibroids. Both times in the summer. Nothing like hot flashes in Georgia heat and Oregon summer (two different states of lupron medicine) when you are under 30!

My rant: getting stuck behind dump trucks and heavy equipment on my way home from practice every morning. One literally cut me off. I was lucky not to get rear ended slamming on my breaks so this big THING could cut me off and then drive 10-15 miles under the speed limit.

Alison

SwimStud
August 9th, 2007, 08:15 AM
My rant: getting stuck behind dump trucks and heavy equipment on my way home from practice every morning. One literally cut me off. I was lucky not to get rear ended slamming on my breaks so this big THING could cut me off and then drive 10-15 miles under the speed limit.

Alison

You need a front mounted cannon...

My rant: People riding bicycles on commuter roads during peak hours. You can't wait until 9?...Actually people on bicycles in general: you know, the ones that think stop signs, traffic signals and the other laws don't apply because they're peddaling and stopping means having to start again...GRR.

It's high time they made cyclists get tested, taxed and licenced if they want to ride in commuter hours. Give them plates too so you can actually track down the offenders.
*shakes fist like old man*

elliec
August 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I am getting ready to go back to work next week (teacher). I travel on a four-lane highway and usually don't have much problems with traffic. However, my problem is that some geniuses decided not to build a bridge over the railroad tracks. I'd have a fighting chance if the trains ever came at a regular time each day! I have to leave ten minutes early each day on the off chance that a train might stop, sit for a while and then back up! Blocking four lanes of traffic!

nyswimmer
August 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
You need a front mounted cannon...

My rant: People riding bicycles on commuter roads during peak hours. You can't wait until 9?...Actually people on bicycles in general: you know, the ones that think stop signs, traffic signals and the other laws don't apply because they're peddaling and stopping means having to start again...GRR.

It's high time they made cyclists get tested, taxed and licenced if they want to ride in commuter hours. Give them plates too so you can actually track down the offenders.
*shakes fist like old man*

That's one of my pet rants. Here in New York they ignore the traffic rules while they ride on the sidewalk (yes, it's illegal) -- they're afraid of getting hit by cars, so they hit pedestrians instead. :bitching:

inklaire
August 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM
My rant: People riding bicycles on commuter roads during peak hours. You can't wait until 9?...

Not all bicycles are strictly recreational vehicles. Some cyclists may actually be trying to get to work -- on time.

Cyclists should SO be licensed. I agree. The bad cyclists give cycling a bad reputation in general. The days when bicycles were something 8 year olds could ride alone safely are over. I'd put a minimum age requirement in there too.

On the other hand, driving tests really do need to cover both road sharing etiquette and motor vehicle laws regarding bicycles. The number of drivers who have told me that cyclists are *required* by law to ride on the sidewalk is truly astonishing.

And no one, NO ONE can be trusted to look behind them for a cyclist when they open the driver's side door.

newmastersswimmer
August 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM
The words "proper" and "authorities", in the same phrase, form an oxymoron, (or a multi-moron when "authorities" is plural.)

Tomorrow is a Civic (Statutory) holiday in most of Canada. Today is a Sunday when, normally, Beer and Liquor stores close at 18:00 (6PM).
So, I cut my 5 to 6 PM (Adult Lane) swim short at around 5:30, make it to the Beer store at 5:40-ish to find it closed and Zero beers in the house.
I was expected for dinner and therefore could not have made it in time to drive over the Ottawa river to Quebec, where their Beer-selling hours and locales (i.e., Convenience, corner stores) are the ONLY good thing about them. (I must also confess that Quebec women in general, including immigrants, are prettier and sexier. I love Summer and scant (feminine) attire.) What's my rant?, you ask? Summer's too short and Beer should be sold wherever and whenever.

I would :drink: but :drink: are :notworking:

Actually I think its "proper" and "Canadian" ...(or "Canadian" and "authorities") that form the real oxymorons there o.k. Ahmed LOL!...(just j/k of course). If I ever make it up to the Northern regions during summertime, you me and Cruise need to hit the Canadian night life together!....Sounds like a lot of fun...(but Peter is a bit too polished to hang out with a rag like me though....I might embarress him or something LOL!).

Bork

SwimStud
August 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Not all bicycles are strictly recreational vehicles. Some cyclists may actually be trying to get to work -- on time.

Cyclists should SO be licensed. I agree. The bad cyclists give cycling a bad reputation in general. The days when bicycles were something 8 year olds could ride alone safely are over. I'd put a minimum age requirement in there too.

On the other hand, driving tests really do need to cover both road sharing etiquette and motor vehicle laws regarding bicycles. The number of drivers who have told me that cyclists are *required* by law to ride on the sidewalk is truly astonishing.

And no one, NO ONE can be trusted to look behind them for a cyclist when they open the driver's side door.

I agree, I think you got that my post was a little tongue in cheek. It's frustrating though when bike are going 2 abreast down a country road. I had one guy just start to cross an intersection when it was red. I was already in the intersection to turn left...but he was just going to go in front. I'm wary of 2 wheelers (being a rider myself) but some of them are as arrogant as heck in their approach to signals and the laws (not all motorists are perfect either).

The Fortress
September 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I'm tired of the road I live on being semi-closed for construction, repaving and utility work. My water has been cut off 5-6 times after 9:00 pm, not a time which I go to sleep. Once it was off for 40 hours straight. It makes driving, always a horrible nightmare here, even more difficult and time-consuming. I can't carpool for my kid's 4:40 am swim practice. I often can't run to my running trail. They've dug up my front yard. And it's not over until next May. Sigh.

inklaire
September 13th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I agree, I think you got that my post was a little tongue in cheek.

Actually, no. But that's my fault, totally. It's probably because the hostility level between 2 and 4 wheelers around *here* is so high that you'd think we were at war so I'm braced for the sentiment even where it doesn't necessarily exist. I'd wear camouflage while I rode, except that I know very well that drivers can't see me even when I'm wearing 3 different clashing shades of neon with reflectors and blinking lights. ;) Come to think of it, maybe the problem is that they CAN see me.

3strokes
September 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM
.(just j/k of course). If I ever make it up to the Northern regions during summertime, you me and Cruise need to hit the Canadian night life together!....Sounds like a lot of fun...(but Peter is a bit too polished to hang out with a rag like me though....I might embarress him or something LOL!).

Bork

Just add Geochuck to the mix and we might all be deported to Antartica (where it's too cold to swim, for me anyway........)

3strokes
September 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Just talking about those two-wheelers:

This afternoon, driving out of my indoor parking, up a steep ramp and a hard 90 degrees right angle and down a steep incline that's a one-way for me, I almost ran down a bicycler coming home, pedalling up the wrong way and SHE gives ME a dirty look!!!:shakeshead:

nyswimmer
September 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Just talking about those two-wheelers:

This afternoon, driving out of my indoor parking, up a steep ramp and a hard 90 degrees right angle and down a steep incline that's a one-way for me, I almost ran down a bicycler coming home, pedalling up the wrong way and SHE gives ME a dirty look!!!:shakeshead:

Oh, I can top that. About a week ago I was walking across the street in front of my building, coming home from the pool, with the light in my favor. Yes, a cyclist almost ran me down and then cursed at me. :dunno:

inklaire
September 19th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I hear ya! I got hit by a bicycle once. Sucks.

Fortunately, the band-aid on my knee and dry cleaning for my pants were both quite a bit cheaper than the funeral that my friend had to pay for when her son was hit by a car.

The Fortress
September 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I've always found the hostility to cyclists odd, and I live in a high traffic area. They're out exercising or commuting ... should be a good thing. Won't typically hold you up more than a bad driver. Many more of those. Plus, the cyclist hostility is in contrast to the courtesy typically given to runners. At least in my experience, everyone is happy to watch out for or wave on runners. I rarely bike around here; don't want to risk my life. But I can safely run to the trail. We have a wonderful 40+ mile trail. But every year a cyclist is killed crossing an intersection by a speeding car. :shakeshead:

scyfreestyler
September 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Oh, I can top that. About a week ago I was walking across the street in front of my building, coming home from the pool, with the light in my favor. Yes, a cyclist almost ran me down and then cursed at me. :dunno:

That cyclist is bound to wind up with a tag on his/her toe.

I don't have any hostility towards cyclists unless they ignore the rules of the road. All too often I see cyclists who ignore stop signs, stop lights, fail to yield to cars when it would be prudent, etc.. These people are asking for trouble just like somebody in a car who makes the same mistakes.

swimr4life
September 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Selfish drivers in the Atlanta metro area. :dedhorse:

People who break the law and then make up ridiculous excuses and/or can afford excellent lawyers to get them off and they never take responsibility for their actions. (Note where I'm from and draw your own conclusions....hint...M.V.

nkfrench
September 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Maybe it would help if the people designing streets would take cyclists into consideration.

There was one route that featured these:
* No sidewalk or shoulder to ride on
* Heavy traffic
* Stop signs and stop lights at the BOTTOM of a steep hill.
* Area where a lot of people run red lights anyhow

If you have to stop at the bottom of a hill and then start from a dead stop going up a steep hill, you are going to get in trouble from anyone behind you trying to pass. This was one of the few ways to get over a freeway for miles upon miles.

I miss my home town that had bike paths all over the place so you could get from point A to B without having to get creamed.