PDA

View Full Version : Recently started swimming again

~Patti~
July 31st, 2007, 10:00 PM
I recently started swimming again after about 24 years of not swimming. A few years ago I swam for a few months but then stopped. Its been about 2 1/2 months now and while I've gained a lot of endurance, I'm not really gaining speed. I hope that with some of the ideas on other threads here, that will soon change! Just stopping in to say hi!

geochuck
July 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
The older I get the slower I swim.
The older I get the less I swim.
The older I get the more often I start over again.

Scottly
August 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Patti, I just started swiming last April. I've really never been a lap swimmer and I'm 48 so it took me a couple of months to build up my endurance but like you I'm really slow. Just switching my workouts around has made a big difference.

I'm trying not to get OCD about the whole thing. I want to improve but I also want to be patient with myself and have fun.

Mirabella
August 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
I have recently starting swimming having only been a so-so swimmer as a kid. What has helped me the most is having private lessons. She has really helped me with my technique so I don't get bad habits ingrained in me. I am a wimp and take private lessons so I don't have to go to the Y for master's swimming at 6 AM! I may not be alot faster but I am a better swimmer and the speed will come later.

swimshark
August 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Welcome back to swimming! I'm with George.

Alison

~Patti~
August 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the welcome! Its good to know I'm not alone in gaining some speed.

Mirabella, I swim at our local Y and the Master's swimmers are there at all times of the day it seems! I may join them at some point but my work schedule will have to be more predictable first!

Scott, I'm terribly OCD about my swimming. I try not to be but...well, you know! Mostly about making sure I get there at least 4 days/week but also about making sure I swim enough distance. I hadn't started worrying too much about times until I looked here and saw how slow I am!

George & Alison, you both crack me up.

ande
August 5th, 2007, 06:52 AM
please provide more details about yourself

read swim faster faster
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229

Ande

I recently started swimming again after about 24 years of not swimming. A few years ago I swam for a few months but then stopped. Its been about 2 1/2 months now and while I've gained a lot of endurance, I'm not really gaining speed. I hope that with some of the ideas on other threads here, that will soon change! Just stopping in to say hi!