PDA

View Full Version : gas problem

See Mom Run
August 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
I am not a real *fishie" so please read this accordingly. I feel so much gas in my system (like coming out from mouth as well as the bottom) after a hard workout. I sometimes feel like puking too. I don't usually eat anything for 2hours or so before a workout. For a weekly workout with my tri/swim club at 7am (for 1.5hours), I don't eat anything at all from the dinner night before nor I eat/drink anything during a practice. I know I am working hard close to my LT, or even above for certain interval. Is this normal? Am I supposed to have something in my stomach before a workout? I have never puked after a swim practice, however my problem is this - For a short triathlon race (sprint or oly), I get real nauseated toward the end of bike or the beginning of a run and I have to stop and puke or try to puke (nothing really come out just air coming out). Though this paritcular issue may have something to do with the race nutrition and nothing to do with swimming, but a hard swim workout is THE only time I can feel something similar to the gas/nausea which I experience during a tri race, so I thought swimming is the culprit here. (I haven't been able to recreate this nausea issue during a bike or run workout or race of various distances upto marathon.) Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks,

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
The nausea I can relate to. Hard swimming will sometimes make me feel as if I am going to "blow chow" (There is a thread somewhere in which the words blow chow are a portion of the title, you might find that thread useful). As for the gas, I don't know what to tell you.

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Voila!

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7231&highlight=blow+chow

SwimStud
August 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
The nausea I can relate to. Hard swimming will sometimes make me feel as if I am going to "blow chow" (There is a thread somewhere in which the words blow chow are a portion of the title, you might find that thread useful). As for the gas, I don't know what to tell you.

Well directed gas could save a few hundreths of a second per length...

I get belchy sometimes too but not excessively. I avoid onions and chinese or spicy food at lunch on swim days. Time before swimming doesn't negate the potency of these foodstuffs in my experience. You could try GasX to break up gas before swimming...

geochuck
August 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Change your diet. Foods that cause flatulence http://www.nexiumresearch.com/food_that_cause_flatulence.html

A lot of people swallow air into their stomachs this, could be your problem.

See Mom Run
August 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM
A lot of people swallow air into their stomachs this, could be your problem.

Very likely. How do I learn not to?

swimshark
August 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
After a particuarly hard workout, I can find myself excusing myself a lot. During the workout, fly will give me burps (aren't you Zones people happy ot know I will be swimming the 100 fly now?!). Maybe you can try to eat something light before the workout. I usually eat a banana and energy bar before. Then afterwards sometimes nothing goes down better than a tall glass of chocolate milk :)

Alison

geochuck
August 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
The way to stop gulping air. When we breathe in through the mouth we just do not gasp. When you swim the breathing should be as if you were out for a stroll. Easy in easy out. Some force their air out trying to get everything out and they have to gulp the air in, some goes to the stomach.

Shaman
August 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
I've always had oatmeal and a banana about 40 minutes before practice.

3strokes
August 1st, 2007, 08:24 PM
Well directed gas could save a few hundreths of a second per length...

Not if you don't have a well- and appropriately- placed hole (exhaust vent so-to-speak) in your swimsuit, otherwise it could backfire on you.........

geochuck
August 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM
When I swim in a pool I just putter around, putt - putt - putt.

3strokes
August 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
When I swim in a pool I just putter around, putt - putt - putt.

So do golfers, but they are outdoors (and no telltale bubbles). :p

geochuck
August 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
I saw a great swimmer that I was passing and I noticed stuff coming out of both ends. I did get away from him in a hurry, that was pollution for sure. It was puke, puke, puke and putt, putt, putt. The putt, putt, putt was more of a pffft, pffft, pffft. He had a large quanity of exlax the evening before, administered to him by a competitor. He thought he was eating a chocolate bar.

See Mom Run
August 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
The way to stop gulping air. When we breathe in through the mouth we just do not gasp. When you swim the breathing should be as if you were out for a stroll. Easy in easy out. Some force their air out trying to get everything out and they have to gulp the air in, some goes to the stomach.

THis is hard!!! I tried to practice in a pool but I just couldn't change the way I breathe. Do you really 'breathe like you were out for a stroll'???? OMG. I thought you were supposed to force air out so when your mouth opens it is ready to suck in air, NO? Any more tips would be appreciated.

Meanwhile.... I am pretty sure gulping air is the cause of my system distress during a tri race. For the first time during a training workout, I was able to recreate the 'nauseated/gassy feeling'. I swam 1.6mile OW yesterday followed by 10mile run. The worst 10 miler ever.

geochuck
August 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I have done explosive breathing at times to increase turnover. But contrary to many who suggest a complete expell of air I never did. When you do this you must gasp for air.

imspoiled
August 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I have done explosive breathing at times to increase turnover. But contrary to many who suggest a complete expell of air I never did. When you do this you must gasp for air.

I agree with George on this. Yes, you should be constanly exhaling so you are ready to breathe when you turn to do so, but forcing all the air out tends to make me feel winded. You don't want to continue to exhale as you turn to breathe, but you shouldn't wait until you feel like you're forcing yourself to empty your lungs either.