PDA

View Full Version : Woodchuck help?

ALM
August 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Geek can start a thread about mailboxes, so I can start one about woodchucks...

I have a mystery animal in my herb garden. A few days ago I discovered that something had dug a HUGE hole right next to the foundation of the house. The hole was about 8-10 inches in diameter, and I don't know how deep (REALLY deep). My neighbor told me that he had seen a woodchuck in the yards behind our houses. He made me get the hose and turn it on. He ran water down the hole for quite a while, until it looked like it was beginning to fill up. We filled the hole in with dirt.

This evening I saw that the animal had re-excavated the area. I showed it to two more neighbors. Both had the same reaction ("Holy @#$#!").

This time I collected dog uh, excrement, from the neighbor's Yard of Seven Dogs (didn't make a dent in the supply). Dumped it down the hole, then filled the hole with dirt. As a finishing touch I left a few pieces near the surface, garnished with cilantro (remember, it's an herb garden).

What is this creature? How do I get rid of it?

Anna Lea

SwimStud
August 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
Geek can start a thread about mailboxes, so I can start one about woodchucks...

I have a mystery animal in my herb garden. A few days ago I discovered that something had dug a HUGE hole right next to the foundation of the house. The hole was about 8-10 inches in diameter, and I don't know how deep (REALLY deep). My neighbor told me that he had seen a woodchuck in the yards behind our houses. He made me get the hose and turn it on. He ran water down the hole for quite a while, until it looked like it was beginning to fill up. We filled the hole in with dirt.

This evening I saw that the animal had re-excavated the area. I showed it to two more neighbors. Both had the same reaction ("Holy @#$#!").

This time I collected dog uh, excrement, from the neighbor's Yard of Seven Dogs (didn't make a dent in the supply). Dumped it down the hole, then filled the hole with dirt. As a finishing touch I left a few pieces near the surface, garnished with cilantro (remember, it's an herb garden).

What is this creature? How do I get rid of it?

Anna Lea

Leave it alone you meanie!!! It's a gift of nature sharing your space. Move your herb garden. It isn't a pest. It will eat the weeds in your lawn and flower bed. We must have about 3 on our property. They are hilarious when they see you and run away...poor woody!

geochuck
August 3rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Jay hawk

How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck could chuck wood.

Just as much wood as Woodchuck could chuck, if a Woodchuck could chuck wood.

ALM
August 3rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Leave it alone you meanie!!! It's a gift of nature sharing your space.

I won't tell you what happens to the chipmunks in my neighborhood... :eek:

I wouldn't mind Punxsutawney Phil if he dug out in the yard somewhere. You're right - they are cute to watch. But this is right along the concrete foundation. I'm already having water problems and settling in another part of the basement due to drainage issues; I don't need any on this side of the house.

SwimStud
August 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
I won't tell you what happens to the chipmunks in my neighborhood... :eek:

I wouldn't mind Punxsutawney Phil if he dug out in the yard somewhere. You're right - they are cute to watch. But this is right along the concrete foundation. I'm already having water problems and settling in another part of the basement due to drainage issues; I don't need any on this side of the house.

Hehe we have one under the deck...I already feel anxious about laying a pation there myself and blokcing him in (I'm not spending 10grand on a deck). There's another under the shed...I've not seen any issues with the holes that are near the wall. It's tough to relocate these critters. My old Beagle had an altercation with one once...one bite a piece, a squeak and a doggie yelp, and me laying out to make an open field tackle on my dog to stop it from pursuing the groundhog...Beagles don't care unless it runs...then they really care.. lol

ensignada
August 4th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Have you called your local animal control? Where I used to live, they were great sources of advice and sometimes would come out, trap and move them for you. Good luck on critter control.

meldyck
August 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Anna Lea,

remember Bill Murray in Caddyshack? Might give you pause...

quicksilver
August 4th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Putting all joking aside...this remedy is nature's eviction notice when all else is failing. If your spouse is so inclined...ask him to pee all around the little bugger's entry foyer. It works well for moles and all sorts of critters. Just hope the neighbors aren't around!

Animals are keen to territorial claims...and whatever it is, won't like it very much when he senses that a potentially bigger one has laid claim to his new found digs. It make take several days for the message to get through, but eventually they will move on to more pleasant surroundings.

geochuck
August 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
The old remedy from the past throw moth balls in the holes. Spread moth flakes on the ground. It used to kill moths and kept animals from under porches.

But if all fails the sure fire way to get rid of woodchucks is to go to this site.
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/howtogetridofgroundhogs.htm

SwimStud
August 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Seriously though, this groundhog sounds much more competetive and a faster digger than an other groundhogs around; do you think he could be doping?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::banana::banana:

ALM
August 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Putting all joking aside...this remedy is nature's eviction notice when all else is failing. If your spouse is so inclined...ask him to pee all around the little bugger's entry foyer. It works well for moles and all sorts of critters. Just hope the neighbors aren't around!

A member of my swim team suggested this. I don't have a spouse, but that shouldn't be a problem. I've had three different "opportunities" to do 24-hour urine collections (for medical tests); I'm pretty good at the collection process. :eek:

Anna Lea

Blackbeard's Peg
August 4th, 2007, 10:21 PM
My mom bought some wolf pee or something to put on our plants to keep "the bunny" away. Only problem is the dog liked it almost as much as he does chasing the bunny around the yard.

Apparently cayanne pepper is supposed to help.

SwimStud
August 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM
you need to find a female woodchuck and locate her away from the house...

quicksilver
August 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
A member of my swim team suggested this. I don't have a spouse, but that shouldn't be a problem. I've had three different "opportunities" to do 24-hour urine collections (for medical tests); I'm pretty good at the collection process. :eek:

Anna Lea

Hi Anna Lea,

This may or may not work depending on how many shot glasses you plan on filling. One alone is like a mouse leaving it's calling card.
The message needs to race horse if you know what I mean. Sorry for the bathroom humor...but it does work.

ALM
August 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
This may or may not work depending on how many shot glasses you plan on filling. One alone is like a mouse leaving it's calling card.

Quicksilver,

You apparently have never done the 24-hour test. The last time I did it I collected 3500ml (that's 118 ounces, almost a GALLON)... :drown:

Anna Lea

ALM
August 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
~~ SUCCESS! ~~

I signed an official Declaration of War on Friday morning. That's when I discovered that the woodchuck had dug a tunnel 12 feet long that went under the patio and into a window well. A 10-inch-diameter tunnel under a concrete patio is not a good thing.

One of my swim teammates offered to loan me his large animal trap. I set it yesterday, using an ear of corn as bait. I had "Mr. Chuck" trapped within an hour - click on his photo below.

He was not happy, of course, but he didn't seem to have a problem devouring the cantaloupe that I fed him after I trapped him! Then he got to listen to the stereo during his air-conditioned car ride to his new home in Shawnee Mission Park. He'll have woods, a creek, and a lake. What more could a woodchuck want?

Anna Lea

smontanaro
August 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
He's a handsome fellow. Looks well-fed. :)

Skip Montanaro

quicksilver
August 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I like your temporary avatar. Congratulations are in order.

He'll have woods, a creek, and a lake. What more could a woodchuck want?

A girl friend.

meldyck
August 19th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Anna Lea,

is there any chance of getting a woodchuck steak in the freezer? I can pick it up from you at the Oly Trials next year. I'm thinking a woodchuck curry with rhubarb chutney...

ALM
August 19th, 2007, 11:57 PM
is there any chance of getting a woodchuck steak in the freezer? I can pick it up from you at the Oly Trials next year. I'm thinking a woodchuck curry with rhubarb chutney...

Darn, I hadn't thought of that. He probably would have been pretty tasty... I think he had eating a diet of tomatoes from my garden.

I have eaten deer, rabbit, and squirrel, but I've never had the opportunity to try woodchuck.

Anna Lea

SwimStud
August 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Darn, I hadn't thought of that. He probably would have been pretty tasty... I think he had eating a diet of tomatoes from my garden.

I have eaten deer, rabbit, and squirrel, but I've never had the opportunity to try woodchuck.

Anna Lea

You're going to come back as a woodchuck Anna Lea...mark my words!!

Hehehe glad you got him humanely.