PDA

View Full Version : Help! In Orlando @ Meet/ Wrong Age/ What do?

CreamPuff
August 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm at the Orlando LCM meet. They have me listed as an incorrect age - 34. I kept a copy of my entry sheet and it clearly lists me as my correct birthday and age (35). I brought this to the attention of the meet director Nick.
He said he would fix it after the meet. However, the heat sheets and results list me as 30 to 34 age group. So, I'm showing up as first in 30 to 34 and felt the results should reflect me in the 35 to 39 age group.

My times are enough to get me into top 10 in 35 to 39 - 200 fly and 800 free.
So, I'd like them to count as top 10s (I've had many of my top 10s not count in the past due to administrative errors such as not measuring the pool etc.)

What else should I do in this situation? What are the rules? Should I just not worry about it and let him fix it at the end of the meet? Or do I need to insist that he correct it now so the results are correct? My birthday is 9/22/72 and as of 12/31/07, I'm 35.

Thanks to anyone who knows.

The Fortress
August 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM
This happened to me at a meet once. It was no big deal. I told the meet director and it was changed. I think it was changed by the end of the meet, but I can't recall. When the results came out, my times were reported in the correct age group. Just make sure the meet director is aware of the situation and doesn't send results to USMS until the correction is made. I'm sure he/she would want the results to be accurate.

Great going girl!! :applaud: (Odd choice of events, however. LOL.)

WPSWIMS
August 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM
They should be able to fix that in their computer at the meet and put up a revised meet result sheet. When you get back to ATL have the GA registrar check the meet results before submitting to TOP TEN. Did you make any new Georgia records?
Good luck with the rest of the meet. See you at SWim Atlanta this coming THanksgiving.

ALM
August 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Kristina,

They can correct your age after the fact, and Meet Manager will put your results into the correct age group. (I'm assuming that they're using the Meet Manager software to run the meet.)

The bigger question is, do they have your year of birth entered incorrectly into Meet Manager, OR do they have the meet "age-up" date set up for yards (today's date) instead of meters (Dec. 31)?

For the latter, ask the computer operator to check the following:

1) From the main menu at the top of the screen, click "Set-Up"

2) Click "Athlete/Relay Preferences"

3) Make sure the "Date for computing ages" is set to 12/31/2007 (If they have it set to today's date, that's the problem.)

Anna Lea

CreamPuff
August 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Thank you all so very much for the great responses!
I really appreciate it. I can relax a bit more now.

Anna Lea, I have NO IDEA where the admin error was made. But tomorrow I will be sure to ask the person running the HyTek program. Thank you for the words of wisdom.

Winnie, I doubt I set any GA records. I have no idea where the GA records are posted anyway. I was happy to just swim my line up and survive. It was fun swimming lots of different events. I love my 50 fr.

Fort, I swam 800 fr, 50 fr, 200 fly (7 minutes rest between the 50 fr and 200 fly) and the 200 fr. I most likely missed top 10 in the 50 and 200 fr. Yes. Odd choice of events for me. But, I'm trying to branch out above and beyond my beloved 50s. Times weren't great but I guess my 50 fr was still a personal best at 28.89. Tomorrow is 100 and 50 flys and 400 fr. 200 fly was long and smooth (a bit more than a warm down) - went 2:40.something. 10:08 in 800.

Tomorrow after all my swims - Cocoa beach! Yippee!!

Will be sure to remind the meet director of the issue again tomorrow and check on where the error occurred in hy-tek.

Thank you! Kristina

MegSmath
August 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
One possibility is that they used last year's meet database to build this year's database, and forgot to change the starting/ending date of the meet, so it is calculating your age of a year ago. I've forgotten to do this myself!

CreamPuff
August 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Meg, thanks for your response as well.

I'm not certain as to where the error was made (turns out other swimmers had their ages listed incorrectly as well.) But, come Sunday morning prior to the meet starting, the correct results (with correct ages) were posted and the heat sheets for that day were correct and updated as well. So, kudos to the Orlando swim team and YMCA for making the corrections pretty quickly and prior to the meet concluding!

ALM
August 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'm not certain as to where the error was made (turns out other swimmers had their ages listed incorrectly as well.)

If the affected swimmers all had birthdays after August 5th, then the problem was as I described above (using the meet date instead of 12/31/2007 for the date for computing ages). If the problem affected every swimmer in the meet, then it was an "old database" problem like Meg suggested.

Anna Lea

islandsox
August 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Kristina,

It's time to Advertise. Go get a white T-shirt and write on it in big black letters, I'M REALLY 35 and then go see the Meet Director. Might as well wear it up to the blocks when you swim in the wrong age group, too.

CreamPuff
August 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Kristina,

It's time to Advertise. Go get a white T-shirt and write on it in big black letters, I'M REALLY 35 and then go see the Meet Director. Might as well wear it up to the blocks when you swim in the wrong age group, too.

:lmao:

Heck yeah!! I ain't no Dara Torres, but I'm officially swimming faster at 35 than from 30 to 34! And, my 100 fly time this weekend matched my time at 15 - 1:08. So, 35 is pretty cool. :bouncing:

swimr4life
August 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
CONGRATULATIONS KRISTINA!!! Great swims! :bow:

I'm glad they got it all straightened out for you. I know you have had a lot of your swims not count for Top 10 due to problems in the past. I'm glad it all worked out.

I miss you at SWAT! When are you coming back? :sad:

CreamPuff
August 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
CONGRATULATIONS KRISTINA!!! Great swims! :bow:

I'm glad they got it all straightened out for you. I know you have had a lot of your swims not count for Top 10 due to problems in the past. I'm glad it all worked out.

I miss you at SWAT! When are you coming back? :sad:

Thanks Beth! I had a fantastically FUN FUN time. I truly enjoy my masters meets/ vacations. I'm still swimming at Dynamo but need to join in with you guys on Saturdays (so I miss the traffic coming back from SWAT on the weekdays)!
I miss you! I'm surrounded by boys every morning. :help: