PDA

View Full Version : Phelps the next backstroke king.

quicksilver
August 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
"Phelps' time of 53.01 seconds was the second-fastest ever...
That prompted coach Bob Bowman to warn the rest of the swimming world of the unthinkable:
Phelps can go even faster."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7654227880875498066&q=phelps+100+back+you+tube&total=5&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3446627

http://www.theage.com.au/news/swimming/phelps-just-misses-world-record/2007/08/04/1185648212627.html

ande
August 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Michaels SDK was awesome, he turned behind Hesen then passed him underwater, surfaced ahead then increased his lead, to a near world record
probably the fastest 2nd 50 in the 100 bk ever
26.12 26.89

Cromwell who got 2nd trains in Austin

Phelps could make the olympic team in the
100 & 200 fr, 100 & 200 fl, 200 & 400 IM, and now the 100 & 200 bk
I wonder if he'll swim all those events at trials

"Phelps' time of 53.01 seconds was the second-fastest ever...
That prompted coach Bob Bowman to warn the rest of the swimming world of the unthinkable:
Phelps can go even faster."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7654227880875498066&q=phelps+100+back+you+tube&total=5&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3446627

http://www.theage.com.au/news/swimming/phelps-just-misses-world-record/2007/08/04/1185648212627.html

Jeff Commings
August 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Michaels SDK was awesome, he turned behind Hesen then passed him underwater, surfaced ahead then increased his lead, to a near world record
26.12 26.89

I doubt it. Even if he drops the events, that's a very crowded week. That's 23 swims in a week.

FlyQueen
August 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM
26.12 26.89

I'd guess he'll drop the 200 back (he seemed to say as much at Nationals) and probably the 100 free. I can't imagine him dropping anything he has a WR in or the 100 fly.

Sam Perry
August 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'd guess he'll drop the 200 back (he seemed to say as much at Nationals) and probably the 100 free. I can't imagine him dropping anything he has a WR in or the 100 fly.

I wonder about the 100 Free. Last time he didn't swim it and there was a lot of controversy on him being on the 400 Free Relay. There are many more this time around who should get a spot. Do you think he needs to prove his place on there by swimming the individual at trials?

Peter Cruise
August 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Relay choices are always subject to the most rigorous post-race bezanalysis, but I think Phelps is virtually automatic for that relay.

quicksilver
August 6th, 2007, 07:07 PM
If he could go a 52 for the 100 back...wouldn't it make sense to give Crocker the fly leg?

Phelps
Hansen
Crocker
Lezak

might be faster than

Piersol
Hansen
Phelps
Lezak

phdude
August 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
If he could go a 52 for the 100 back...wouldn't it make sense to give Crocker the fly leg?

Phelps
Hansen
Crocker
Lezak

might be faster than

Piersol
Hansen
Phelps
Lezak

yeah, but given Phelp's speed in the 100Free at worlds, and him being basically a draw with both Piersol in back and Crocker in fly, the fastest might be Piersol/Hansen/Crocker/Phelps. But Crocker's shaky starts might give US Swimming pause before placing him on a relay when there are so many promising combinations that could win gold. Maybe that's why the system USSwimming has in place for picking the spots is probably the best way for selecting the relay team.

Sam Perry
August 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM
:notworking:
yeah, but given Phelp's speed in the 100Free at worlds, and him being basically a draw with both Piersol in back and Crocker in fly, the fastest might be Piersol/Hansen/Crocker/Phelps. But Crocker's shaky starts might give US Swimming pause before placing him on a relay when there are so many promising combinations that could win gold. Maybe that's why the system USSwimming has in place for picking the spots is probably the best way for selecting the relay team.

Too bad there can't be a B relay. Possible to win gold and silver in 2008 free and medley. This is the deepest we have been in a long time. Pretty amazing.

quicksilver
August 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
If Phelps could go 52 low/51 high...his lead off may be turn out a faster relay than if he swam fly.

The Phelps freestyle leg might be very interesting though.

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Pretty amazing when you can stick the same guy in any one of three medley relay positions and know that you are giving your team the best chance they have.

Blackbeard's Peg
August 7th, 2007, 12:24 AM
to the relays, crap, they award medals to the clowns who swim in the prelims. somehow they'll find a way to get all those guys onto the blocks.
amen to the b relay. that'd be awesome. i vote for jeff commings swimming the breaststroke leg!

FlyQueen
August 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Crocker DQ'd at world following Usher. He'd almost certainly be following Hansen in Beijing. They know each others timing much better. The DQ at Nationals wouldn't have happened in the relay because he could move as much as he wanted on the blocks before the take over as long as he didn't jump it. I don't think they should have one moments pause over whether or not Crocker belongs on that relay. We'll see if it's in prelims or finals. I feel confident saying he'll be really careful on his relay exchanges especially if he is swimming the prelim leg.

I'd actually love to see Peirsol, Hansen, Crocker, Phelps. Lezak is usually able to step it up on relays but Phelps is Phelps and I think he could out split Lezak.

I would love it we could send more than 2 athletes per event and more than one relay. Might suck for the rest of the world though. There should be some type of provision in events where one country has 5 (or more) of the 10 fastest times. Makes trials more exciting with just 2 though.

quicksilver
August 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I would love it we could send more than 2 athletes per event and more than one relay. Might suck for the rest of the world though. There should be some type of provision in events where one country has 5 (or more) of the 10 fastest times. Makes trials more exciting with just 2 though.

A Relay: Piersol/Hansen/Phelps/Lezak
B relay: Lochte/???/Crocker/Jones?

Are there another smoking fast breastrokers aside from Hansen?

This years NCAA record setter in the 100 breast {51.5} said he's off to swim for his home country (Bulgaria)... even though he has dual citizenship now.

FlyQueen
August 7th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Pretty amazing when you can stick the same guy in any one of three medley relay positions and know that you are giving your team the best chance they have.

You can do that with Natalie Coughlin, too!!

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
You can do that with Natalie Coughlin, too!!

This is true. Not sure how I missed that one, I'm a big fan of hers.

Jeff Commings
August 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
to the relays, crap, they award medals to the clowns who swim in the prelims. somehow they'll find a way to get all those guys onto the blocks.
Hey, I was on e of those guys that benefitted from swimming on a prelim relay and getting a gold medal. It's a weird rule, but I didn't argue against it then, and I don't argue against it now.

amen to the b relay. that'd be awesome. i vote for jeff commings swimming the breaststroke leg!

There are about 50 other Americans who can swim it faster than I can. I concede to any of them.

ande
August 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Jeff

I wonder how fast you could get if you focused on the 100 breast and trained for a year or two with Eddie.
Maybe you could pull a Dara Torres

Ande

Hey, I was on e of those guys that benefitted from swimming on a prelim relay and getting a gold medal. It's a weird rule, but I didn't argue against it then, and I don't argue against it now.
There are about 50 other Americans who can swim it faster than I can. I concede to any of them.

Jeff Commings
August 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Jeff

I wonder how fast you could get if you focused on the 100 breast and trained for a year or two with Eddie.
Maybe you could pull a Dara Torres

Ande

Maybe after I pull a muscle.

Look, I'm a terrible workout swimmer, always have been. I could never keep up with Brendan, Eric and others at Texas, even if I thought it could help. Brendan is famous for verbal abuse to fire up his teammates during workout. It's helped Eric, but I don't respond positively to negative words. Just ask my former age group coach.

If I were to "focus" on the 100 breast again (which I did these past 12 months, to very positive results), I'd do it here in Tucson. Can't ask for a better group than Frank Busch, Rick DeMont and Greg Rhodenbaugh.

That said, I'm very happy with where I am now, even though I miss Eddie's jokes, the 400 fly swims and running up the stadium steps. Until the 100 IM and 50 breast become Olympic events, I'll stay in masters.