PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Swims

islandsox
August 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I wanted to write about something I am finding very beneficial as I work my way up the ladder to doing a 20.6 mile swim next year. Initially, several people had GPS'd it and told me it was 18, but it's not, it's 20.6.

I actually started training for "real" around the 3rd week of May and it is now August 6th. I started with my usual one mile (1,760 yds) and went from there. It is a difficult training to say the least. I have done two, 7 mile swims recently (hydration every half-mile), but I really wasn't quite ready and suffered a little too much from them. As I would back down from that mileage, I found myself taking a day off after "long swim day." I now know this is not a good thing to do. What seems to be working much better for my body to recover from a long swim day is to actually swim the very next day but a "recovery swim", say 1 or 2 miles ez or whatever it takes low mileage wise. Then, I take a day off. What this is doing for me is completely getting rid of the next-day soreness/fatigue rather than just loafing around on the couch waiting for it to "go away."

Yesterday's swim was 6-1/2 miles so later today I will get in the ocean and swim an ez mile and a half. I also want to point out something that has helped my muscles and probably improved my circulation. I now get in my bathtub which has jets and am in there during Happy Hour (5-6 pm).

I am recovering so much faster from a long swim doing these things. If any of you who are doing some long swims or very hard workouts, give "recovery swims" a chance; go to the pool just for that one purpose and then get out. I'd be interested in hearing if any of you also do this kind of swim after some very hard ones and if it is helping you to take less days off from swimming.

Blackbeard's Peg
August 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Donna,

Recovery swims are a recent treasure discovery of yours truly. I always tried to get right back in the swing of things after something long or a long meet. Wow, big mistake. I now value that recovery swim.
No more :dedhorse:

islandsox
August 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hey, Muppet! Recovery swims are just basic miracles in their own right. This goes beyond the "cool down" after a hard or long workout/swim. Recovery swims repair so much and in such a short amount of time. Plus, as you know, the day after a recovery swim, you feel "Powerful". Amazing thing. I'm having to use recovery swims an awful lot right now (LOL). Moving toward 8 miles later this month (may have more recovery swims than real workouts LOL).

So glad you are using them, too!!!:applaud: