PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the Kid -- Only a twinge of mommy guilt

The Fortress
August 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Tomorrow morning at 5:00am, I'm putting my kid on the PV team bus and sending her to Buffalo for 5 days for LC zones. And I'm not going to watch!! :bolt: Thought about it, but I've been to so many meets since March, I'm burned out and need a break. Plus, selfishly, there's virtually no where for me to swim. This is her fourth zones trip and she's been to this pool, so she should be fine. I'm hoping she will be reasonably mature and not pull fire alarms or break the masking tape on the doors or play loud rap music at night. And other mommies will be non-attendees as well. So I'm going to stay home and bask in the lack of hormones and heat sheets. :party2:

Only a tiny twinge of mommy guilt. She has a broken toe. I hope no one steps on it and makes it worse. Or I will have to drive up and get her.

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Meets are so plentiful and time consuming it would be unfair to ask a parent to attend every meet. A parent's sanity is important too you know. In other words, there won't be any criticism coming from me about this.

nkfrench
August 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM
View this as a very positive "growth experience" for your child to learn how to deal with a travel meet. At some time they have to learn how to manage independently and on the zone trips there should be plenty of good chaperones and things to do.

fanstone
August 6th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Get back to us when you ditch them for good, when they go off to college...I bet you your tears will be enough to swim in...I wrote "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Father", but lost it in a burnt hard-drive. It took me years getting used to, and still hurts to have the kids away...billy fanstone

The Fortress
August 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Get back to us when you ditch them for good, when they go off to college...I bet you your tears will be enough to swim in...I wrote "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Father", but lost it in a burnt hard-drive. It took me years getting used to, and still hurts to have the kids away...billy fanstone

No, don't want to ditch her for good! Just need a break; my kid schedule has been very hectic of late. I've been to all her other zones meets in various locales and I'm almost always at her other meets, unless I'm at another kid's activity. She's excited to be with all her friends. But she did tell me she'd miss me and promised to call with updates at least 2x a day!

I think you're right, NKFrench. Mini-Fort and her friends with AWOL parents seem almost happy to be ditched by the 'rents. They have to spend the whole time with their team anyway. I'd only get to see her at prelims and finals. So I'm staying home and sleeping in! :snore:

Leonard Jansen
August 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
or break the masking tape on the doors

Hmmmmm..... What does that mean? Is it some way they use to tell if the kids have left their rooms at night?

IMWTK.

-LBJ

born2fly
August 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
You didnt drop your monofin on your daughters toe this time did you :rolleyes:

Greg :-)

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hmmmmm..... What does that mean? Is it some way they use to tell if the kids have left their rooms at night?

IMWTK.

-LBJ

Correct, LBJ! They put masking tape on the doors at night. If they find the tape is broken later that night or in the am, everyone in the room goes home. No breaking curfew. No sneaking into other swimmers' rooms, especially of the opposite sex. None of this :kiss1: stuff allowed.

They're very strict. Although the zone manager says their biggest problem is usually "deck shopping" where the kids try to grab or trade gear from other LSCs.

Greg:

I did not drop the MF on her toe! She tripped and smashed it into a concrete wall. Not the best thing to happen to an evilstroker, but she did OK at her meet last Sat., so I'm assuming she'll be fine.

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Those MF's are dangerous. We have strictly forbidden them on our pool deck after seeing your daughter's recent experience with one. Better safe than sorry.

Peter Cruise
August 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I must say that, even in their early twenties, our kids retain that annoying ability to feel like intrusive busybodies when when we ask polite questions about relationships or career plans and neglectful wastrels when we show signs of having a life and not there at a moment's notice to share some angst or worse yet, not keeping the fridge full. Sigh. But we love 'em both, looking forward to their parenting some day...

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I must say that, even in their early twenties, our kids retain that annoying ability to feel like intrusive busybodies when when we ask polite questions about relationships or career plans and neglectful wastrels when we show signs of having a life and not there at a moment's notice to share some angst or worse yet, not keeping the fridge full. Sigh. But we love 'em both, looking forward to their parenting some day...

This would aptly describe kids in their teens too.

Matt:

My daughter didn't get the MF injury. I did. They are dangerous though. I recently "injured" my coach with one, inadvertently of course. She decided to try mine out. Put it on, dolphined halfway down the pool and abruptly stopped. Sprained muscles or tendons in the top of her foot and couldn't wear regular shoes for 4 days. I attribute this problem to the fact that her feet aren't used to fins, as she's a avid fin hater. (She does not, however, criticize others use of them!)

born2fly
August 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Fort,
Hope ya know I was only kidding about the monofin :-) Although, if I saw you carry the MF, I would probably run and put on some of those steel toe shoes :p

SwimStud
August 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
...I recently "injured" my coach with one, inadvertently of course. She decided to try mine out. Put it on, dolphined halfway down the pool and abruptly stopped. Sprained muscles or tendons in the top of her foot and couldn't wear regular shoes for 4 days. I attribute this problem to the fact that her feet aren't used to fins, as she's a avid fin hater. (She does not, however, criticize others use of them!)

She kicked from the knee and ankle...tsk-tsk a coach ought to know and feel better...that's what I like about my MF I can't cheat in it...unless I want to rip my quad out...

swimshark
August 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Fort, enjoy the vacation! I will be there in spirit, too. My kids team is heading up this morning. I hope your daughter does well.

Alison

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Fort,
Hope ya know I was only kidding about the monofin :-) Although, if I saw you carry the MF, I would probably run and put on some of those steel toe shoes :p

I knew you were joshing. I must admit, I am now uber-paranoid about carrying that thing around.

Yeah, Rich, my coach doesn't know anything. She's only an Olympian. :rofl: She did come from the pre-SDK era though, and she hasn't really tried to learn how to SDK. She's still pretty damn fast though.

Allison: I think Mini-Fort is probably sitting on the bus with kids from your team. LOL. At least I saw her walking on the 11-12 bus with Shannon Harper.

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I was kidding as well. There are no such bans at our swim club. Although, I have yet to see anybody use fins of any type in our pool.

swimshark
August 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Allison: I think Mini-Fort is probably sitting on the bus with kids from your team. LOL. At least I saw her walking on the 11-12 bus with Shannon Harper.

Sounds like the same bus all right. A lot of the kids are the ones I practice with. I'd enjoy being on that bus :)

Alison

FlyQueen
August 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Fort, she'll be great! She'll be busy and have fun. As long as baby Fort can stay in bed you'll be all set for a nice vacay.

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Sounds like the same bus all right. A lot of the kids are the ones I practice with. I'd enjoy being on that bus :)

Alison

Yeah, but they wouldn't want us there. :bump: Not sure how interesting the conversations would be. When I left, they were comparing outfits and the size of their suitcases. They hadn't moved on to boys yet.

I can't believe you work out with Shannon's group. I'd be :cane: and :drown:.

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Fort, she'll be great! She'll be busy and have fun. As long as baby Fort can stay in bed you'll be all set for a nice vacay.

Well, Fortson just informed me that he has official cross country practice starting tomorrow at 6:30 am. I told him he can run there, and I'll pick him up. Why are kids' practices so frickin' early?! I guess they want them to run early to avoid heat exhaustion. But the parents will start passing out soon at this rate. Some days, I wish my kids were back in soccer ... :violin:

SwimStud
August 7th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, Rich, my coach doesn't know anything. She's only an Olympian. :rofl: She did come from the pre-SDK era though, and she hasn't really tried to learn how to SDK. She's still pretty damn fast though.

I just call it how I see it.. I could be wrong...It's nothing to do with experiences or knowledge...Kick from the knee (gently) yourself next time and see...although it could be phsysiology:bump:...It's how I know when to stop for a second...

Although she could just have a mega SDK as it is and really put a ton of pressure on her ankle...I subconsiously tried to steer while SDKing on my back and felt it in my good knee. Those things are pretty defined in their application.

FlyQueen
August 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Well, Fortson just informed me that he has official cross country practice starting tomorrow at 6:30 am. I told him he can run there, and I'll pick him up. Why are kids' practices so frickin' early?! I guess they want them to run early to avoid heat exhaustion. But the parents will start passing out soon at this rate. Some days, I wish my kids were back in soccer ... :violin:

Because a lot of parents aren't as cool as you and don't go to bed late and wake up late. Seriously my mom has gone to bed around 9 for as long as I can remember. It sucked as a nocturnal kid. She used to read to me and fall asleep. I'd either get out of bed and play or line up my stuffed animals and "read" to them. She often put me to bed around 8 and would come up at 9 or 10 (back when she was up "late") and I'd still be awake playing quitely in my room.

Peter Cruise
August 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Well some parents have kids who are inert protoplasmic blobs spending all of their time gaming, nourished by Fritolay I.V.'s.

Heather- I visualize you quietly destroying breastroker dolls after your mother went to bed...

SwimStud
August 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Heather- I visualize you quietly destroying breastroker dolls after your mother went to bed...

I just won't go there...lol

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I've already taught my 6 year old that the proper name for breaststroke is evilstroke. :groovy: The other day, she asked me what the petrification spell from HP was so that she could use it when Mini-Fort was evilstroking in our pool. LOL.

Got my first call from Mini-Fort. She napped on the bus. (I had previously explained that Jim Clemmons felt this was essential to success.) She is also rooming with the daughter of one of my high school classmates. Now that's a cool coincidence!

Thanks FlyQueen. I'm not giving up my night owl behavior or I might die of boredom.

CreamPuff
August 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Correct, LBJ! They put masking tape on the doors at night. If they find the tape is broken later that night or in the am, everyone in the room goes home. No breaking curfew. No sneaking into other swimmers' rooms, especially of the opposite sex. None of this :kiss1: stuff allowed.

Ugh. This brings back memories. We would get random people in the hotel lobby to tape back the doors for us upon re-entering. Very bad of all of us. :doh: Your swimmers sound like a good bunch!

You've earned the *break*! Enjoy!

swimshark
August 8th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I can't believe you work out with Shannon's group. I'd be :cane: and :drown:.

I think she's actually NTG. I'm with the Seniors. I've done the NTG practice but it's a bit above me at times. They work hard!

Alison

The Fortress
August 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Ugh. This brings back memories. We would get random people in the hotel lobby to tape back the doors for us upon re-entering. Very bad of all of us. :doh: Your swimmers sound like a good bunch!

You've earned the *break*! Enjoy!

I will not be mentioning this possibility to Mini-Fort, (S)he-Man, you rabble rouser! She's rooming with two non-trouble makers. So I think she's safe unless she causes trouble. :angel:

Alison: She probably is NTG. I hope your wrist is better!

swimshark
August 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Thanks. No progress on the wrist. I have surgery Aug 23rd. I'm making it through the tri and Zones and then it's surgery and recvery time. I'll be out of the water for 4 weeks :(

Alison

SwimStud
August 9th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks. No progress on the wrist. I have surgery Aug 23rd. I'm making it through the tri and Zones and then it's surgery and recvery time. I'll be out of the water for 4 weeks :(

Alison

Look on the bright side Alison...now you can get that tattoo you always wanted and not have to worry about the chlorine fading it in the first 3 weeks :)
:rofl:
Oh and good luck with the op...give it your all at Zones!

CreamPuff
August 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I will not be mentioning this possibility to Mini-Fort, (S)he-Man, you rabble rouser! She's rooming with two non-trouble makers. So I think she's safe unless she causes trouble. :angel:

Yes! Did not mean to stir the pot or worry you! Hey, I only turned out half bad!

The Fortress
August 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Alison

Sorry about the wrist! You'll just have to resort to running or other exercise. You'll be back in swimming shape in no time. :cheerleader: I'm taking 2-3 weeks off from swimming after zones too. Just need a break and the shoulders need a break.

Mini-Fort's not in trouble yet. She did rip the FS Pro she was planning to use for her fly and IM events. :bitching: But she PR'd in evilstroke and made finals the first night. :banana: No phone calls from the coaches yet. So we're off to a good start.

SwimStud
August 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
No phone calls from the coaches yet. So we're off to a good start.

They probably have the coaches duct-taped and locked in a closet...

swimshark
August 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Look on the bright side Alison...now you can get that tattoo you always wanted and not have to worry about the chlorine fading it in the first 3 weeks :)
Oh and good luck with the op...give it your all at Zones!

Thanks Stud. Aren't you going to be joining us for Zones? I'll be the one wearing white wrist tape. Hey, then I can hide tht wrist tattoo :)

Fort, any more updates on your daughter? I've been watching the kids I swim with and they are rocking!

Alison

SwimStud
August 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks Stud. Aren't you going to be joining us for Zones? I'll be the one wearing white wrist tape. Hey, then I can hide tht wrist tattoo :)

Fort, any more updates on your daughter? I've been watching the kids I swim with and they are rocking!

Alison

I'll be there...I'll be the guy dying about 40m into the 50fly :woot:

swimshark
August 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Cool! I'll be there dying about 40 m into the 100 fly!

Alison

fanstone
August 14th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hey Swimstud, I did die at the 45 meter in a LCM fly. In a short course you might get your extra energy at the turn, hehehe...I ain't kidding, I died twice on the long pool. Yet, once I went out so conservatively, that I made it to the end with energy to spend...and a time to show it! Tricky to get the right speed.

SwimStud
August 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Swimstud, I did die at the 45 meter in a LCM fly. In a short course you might get your extra energy at the turn, hehehe...I ain't kidding, I died twice on the long pool. Yet, once I went out so conservatively, that I made it to the end with energy to spend...and a time to show it! Tricky to get the right speed.

hehehe it went well last night at practice....so with the rest this week, and folks watching at the meet ...it should give me incentive to do OK.

newmastersswimmer
August 14th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Only if you get 40m off of the start that is LOL!

Sofia88
May 4th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I know the mommy guilt. Its o.k. to have some, "Me" time for yourself. Enjoy and once you are free or at least learn to live with your guilt maybe you will stay home more often. Since you said they are so strict, it seems that the kids are safe and well looked after. Enjoy!