PDA

View Full Version : SPMA Zones

knelson
August 7th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I just got back from California where I swam in the SPMA Zone meet at Mission Viejo over the weekend. I met both Mel Dyck and Kevin Joyce. Nice to meet you both!

I suppose I can gloat about my victory over Kevin in the 100 free. We were right next to each other, in lanes 4 and 5. Kevin had me at the 50 (28.24 to 29.15), but I was able to pull away on the second 50 and won 58.65 to 1:00.09. I'm happy with that time, but really I should have been out faster.

My other big adventure was having to swim the 400 free twice! When I touched the wall I looked up and saw a 4:23 on the scoreboard and I knew that was wrong. Turns out the manual timer just wrote down what the board said (yeah, not real useful) so they had no "real" time to use. The end result was I had to swim again if I wanted a legal time, and I did. I was a couple seconds slower than what I presume my time was the first time around based on the splits, but I'm pretty happy considering it was my fourth race of a looong day!

Anyway, saw some great swims and met a few new folks. Congrats to those who competed and good luck to those going to Nationals this weekend.

meldyck
August 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I just got back from California where I swam in the SPMA Zone meet at Mission Viejo over the weekend. I met both Mel Dyck and Kevin Joyce. Nice to meet you both!

I suppose I can gloat about my victory over Kevin in the 100 free. We were right next to each other, in lanes 4 and 5. Kevin had me at the 50 (28.24 to 29.15), but I was able to pull away on the second 50 and won 58.65 to 1:00.09. I'm happy with that time, but really I should have been out faster.

My other big adventure was having to swim the 400 free twice! When I touched the wall I looked up and saw a 4:23 on the scoreboard and I knew that was wrong. Turns out the manual timer just wrote down what the board said (yeah, not real useful) so they had no "real" time to use. The end result was I had to swim again if I wanted a legal time, and I did. I was a couple seconds slower than what I presume my time was the first time around based on the splits, but I'm pretty happy considering it was my fourth race of a looong day!

Anyway, saw some great swims and met a few new folks. Congrats to those who competed and good luck to those going to Nationals this weekend.

Your 400 free experience was really bizarre, Kirk. But, I did notice that some of the timers just wrote down the clock times on a number of occasions.

Mark Moore's meets are well run and there is always good competition. I'm sold!

Nice to meet you finally as well...

knelson
August 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Timing screw-ups happen. I was just happy they gave me the chance to swim again. It wasn't exactly the ideal scenario, but that's the way it goes!

Hopefully my time will get me into Top Ten. What I'm afraid of is my first swim, which was probably around 4:33 would have gotten me in, but my second swim will be just a little too slow. I guess I've still got time to get down to the Woodlands and bust a couple kneecaps, a la Tonya Harding. Just kidding, of course! :joker:

Jeff Commings
August 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
So, Kirk, the "timers" didn't have stopwatches to record your first attempt?

Then, what's the point of having them there? Yes, in masters meets swimmers don't often touch the pad hard enough to stop it on their own and someone on deck needs to push the pickle at the same time, but I think automatic timing has improved to the point that it's not really needed.

In any case, bravo on two big swims.

knelson
August 7th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks, Jeff.

Yes, the timers did have stopwatches. I can only guess the person timing in my lane either didn't start their watch or just didn't know any better than to write down what the readout board said. They did have the "pickle" buttons, too, but I asked and they said there was no button time either. It's definitely something that shouldn't happen when you have primary, secondary and tertiary timing systems in use, but obviously can if the person responsible for the last two of those doesn't really understand what they're supposed to be doing.

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Hmm? Generally the starter or the ref will give instructions to the timers and walk them through a mock heat to make sure everybody is on the same page at our age group/USA meets. This weekend there was no shortage of timing options being used. There was the Colorado system touchpads, the "pickle" buttons as you call them, a stopwatch by one of the three timers in each lane, and a head timer starting two watches for backup and to stop at the fastest swimmers touch for an extra level of verification.

I certainly hope your second swim gets you into the Top 10. It would be very dissapointing to lose that recognition due to something like a timing error.

Mswimming
August 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM

I think in that 100 I had my best start and turn yet. I just couldn't finish it. Finishing that second 50 strong was something I didn't focus on as much as I did last year and I felt it. A definite lesson learned for me.

I have to say that you have a nice stroke. When I hit the oxygen dept wall everthing slowed down and I got a real good look as you blew by me about the 75M mark. :blush: I went from gloat to goat in those precious few seconds. :lmao:

Kevin

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Was Ion there?

knelson
August 7th, 2007, 06:27 PM
No, Ion wasn't there, but I see he's signed up for Nationals.

Mswimming
August 7th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Was Ion there?

He doesn't show up in the results.

On the timing issue. Most of the reliable volunteer timers were swimming. Our masters team is comprised mostly of age group parents. Usually that is not a big deal, but this time I noticed a lot of timing chairs empty and many of the timers that were there seemed pretty green.

Other than that it was a pretty fun meet. The highlight for me was talking to an older gentleman who said he had been swimming butterfly since 1933. It occurred to me that was around the time it was first swum in competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_stroke

Kevin

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I certainly hope your second swim gets you into the Top 10. It would be very dissapointing to lose that recognition due to something like a timing error.

Me too! I'm still in awe that you swam the race again. That's impressive!

knelson
August 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM

If it had been the 400 IM I probably would have just taken the "No Time." :)

Blackbeard's Peg
August 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Prelims/ Finals!

That is a pretty bum deal, but hey, sh:censor: happens.
Just goes to show you how important timers are.

ALM
August 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM

How were you able to swim the 400 again? Did you swim it as part of the 800? The reason I ask is that I just read this in the "Rules Corner" thread:

Question: “If I swim the 50 free and just miss the record, can I ask to reswim it later in the meet in another attempt to break the record?” Answer: No. Except for postponement (102.13.3, pages 12-13) there are no provisions for reswimming a race. A swimmer would have an opportunity to swim the 50 free again by swimming the leadoff leg of a relay. Record attempts can also be made during initial distances of longer events (105.3.7, page 38) as can official times for Top 10 (105.2.2, page 38) and official times for all purposes (103.13.1, .2, and .3, pages 24-25).

-

Blackbeard's Peg
August 7th, 2007, 11:35 PM
How were you able to swim the 400 again? Did you swim it as part of the 800? The reason I ask is that I just read this in the "Rules Corner" thread
If the timing system malfunctioned and he never got a recorded time, I guess he never swam it in the first place ;)

knelson
August 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, in my mind it's a totally different scenario. I don't even appear in the results for the regular event. so in a way it's like I never swam that first time. My reswim is listed totally separately in the results.

I noticed there is a rule stating that no swimmer should be required to reswim an event due to timing malfunction. Well, that's a great rule, but what do you do if it happens? The bottom line is if I wanted an official time I had no choice but to swim the event again, so that's what I did.

breastroker
August 10th, 2007, 06:08 PM
To be accurate it was not SPMA Zone meet, just SPMA Regional Championships.

SPMA Long Course Meters Championship Meet in Mission Viejo, CA

Wayne McCauley
SPMA Chairman