PDA

View Full Version : FS PRO Jammer Sizing

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Does anybody have any insight as to what size one should order? The sizing guidelines on Speedo's website suggest that you order one size smaller in the FSII (as compared to an endurance suit) but nothing is said for the PRO. I am inclined to order using the guidelines provided for the FSII but if anybody can offer some firsthand experience I would be most appreciative.

Out of curiosity, why not just size them properly so that you don't need special sizing guidelines?

SwimStud
August 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Out of curiosity, why not just size them properly so that you don't need special sizing guidelines?

Marketing.

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Somebody has to have worn one of these suits by now.

The Fortress
August 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Muppet has one. He'll probably come on the thread soon.

I know I'm a girl, but my FS Pro is one size down from my FS II. Which reminds me that I need to try it on.

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Is your FSII smaller than your regular suit size? I just can't imagine wearing a suit that is two sizes smaller...seem odd.

some_girl
August 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
If it makes you feel better, my plain old meet suit is a size down from practice, and when I bought it it was two (I've shrunk). My FSII is four sizes smaller (down one more makes it hard to turn). So I don't even compare them really.

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks.

I think I'll wait and see what Muppet has to say.

SwimStud
August 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks.

Just as a note
My left foot is marginally bigger than my right so I have to pull marginally harder on the right arm to go straight. I wear the same size socks on both feet though. :)

FlyQueen
August 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks.

Suit sizing for women and men is very different. We drown more sizes from practice suits to technical suits. Remember the tighter the better to a point. Use the sizing chart on Speedousa.com for the FSII to guide you then go down a size.

Blackbeard's Peg
August 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Jeff say buy a fs2

seriously,
what is your fs2 size?

i am a 30fs2 leg, and bought the 30 fspro leg. didn't look like it was going to fit w/o massive exposure, so traded it in for a 32. 32 gets a nice bubble in the buttocks.

what really sucks for returns is that it's going to fit a lot different wet than dry. a 32 was still pretty small dry, but wet, I could get it to stretch a lot more than it needed to (hense the bubbles).

fyi, ladies, pantsize is 34-35", depending on how many samples have come in that particular week (this week, i have cookies, 2 different croissant vendors, perhaps some desserts and some burger buns)

scyfreestyler
August 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I wear a 32 Endurance suit and according to the sizing guidelines I should be wearing a 30 FSII.

FlyQueen
August 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
The butt crack look seems to be very popular for those wearing these suits. Not saying it's attractive, but it seems most of the top guys do it. I'd bet lots of money though that the elites (Phelps, Coughlin, etc) have their FSPros/IIs custom made.

Blackbeard's Peg
August 7th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Matt,
I vote for the "when in doubt, go small" mindset. I'd vote for the 30. Try it on. If it takes you ~5-10 minutes to get on, you should be good. As I said, it will have a lot of give once it gets wet, so keep that in mind when you're violating the drug free school zone (ie showing off your crack).

A tip with the FS2/Pro legs - bring a plastic bag (something big enough to cover your ankle) with you, slip it over your foot, and then carefully put your leg through the suit. You'll cut ~2 minutes off each foot. Without, a brand new suit should take you a few minutes to get it over your ankle bone.

scyfreestyler
August 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Right on, thanks for the advice!

SwimStud
August 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
The butt crack look seems to be very popular for those wearing these suits.
That's just a convenience; somewhere to tuck your swimcap and goggles
:rofl:

scyfreestyler
August 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
The butt crack look seems to be very popular for those wearing these suits. Not saying it's attractive, but it seems most of the top guys do it. I'd bet lots of money though that the elites (Phelps, Coughlin, etc) have their FSPros/IIs custom made.

I wonder if there is any advantage to this trend? Swimming wise of course. ;)

Slowswim
August 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Do you mean because its see through or so low on the hips its "plumber style"?:mooning:

I ask because I wore my new Jammers today and they were very low and got more so as I swam.:blush:

I had to keep checking to make sure I wasn't violating any indecency laws.
</IMG>

The jury is out on whether Jammer's are better than trunks for training/racing.:dunno:

SwimStud
August 8th, 2007, 01:45 PM
The jury is out on whether Jammer's are better than trunks for training/racing.:dunno:

I like the compression but I've heard others say they like the freedom briefs allow for breaststroke.:dunno:
I do find the crotch rides down after a while on jammers though...then you're adjusting and hitching...much to everyone's abhorrence.

Shaman
August 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Just as a note
My left foot is marginally bigger than my right so I have to pull marginally harder on the right arm to go straight. I wear the same size socks on both feet though. :)

One of my shoulders is lower than the other. I'm convinced it's from years of carrying a backpack on one side. I'd never noticed it until I had a physical done. Not sure if it effects my swimming though. I have pretty small feet while we're on the subject.

Can you believe Ian Thorpe has size 17 feet!

SwimStud
August 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
One of my shoulders is lower than the other. I'm convinced it's from years of carrying a backpack on one side. I'd never noticed it until I had a physical done. Not sure if it effects my swimming though. I have pretty small feet while we're on the subject.

Can you believe Ian Thorpe has size 17 feet!

They're not feet...they're flippers!

Slowswim
August 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I like the compression but I've heard others say they like the freedom briefs allow for breaststroke.:dunno:
I do find the crotch rides down after a while on jammers though...then you're adjusting and hitching...much to everyone's abhorrence.

I didn't think anyone in America still wore briefs!:dunno:

aquageek
August 8th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I just went back to the future and bought some Speedo endurance briefs. I don't think you can beat the old reliable. However, my wife was mortified and my swim coach calls me Pierre now.

Slowswim
August 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I just went back to the future and bought some Speedo endurance briefs. I don't think you can beat the old reliable. However, my wife was mortified and my swim coach calls me Pierre now.

:lmao:

Shaman
August 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM

I was amazed when I watched the 400 IM final at Athens, the swimmer in lane 8 was wearing a Speedo.

Blackbeard's Peg
August 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Yes, there are very few folks left!
Mr Cummings was one of the few old-schoolers at SCY nationals; I think Anthony Earvin was too. The only ones I can think of at the moment.

I still wear a brief for a majority of the average joe meets.

FlyQueen
August 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM

And I just lost my dinner ...

Slowswim
August 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
:lmao:

Allen Stark
August 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I wear a 34 brief for practice and a 32 FS-Pro jammer for taper meets. No rips,but I have noticed the bubble problem but it seemed no big deal.

scyfreestyler
August 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I wear a 34 brief for practice and a 32 FS-Pro jammer for taper meets. No rips,but I have noticed the bubble problem but it seemed no big deal.

Does your coach give you a pet name like geek's does? ;)

But seriously, thanks for the input. I wound up buying a FSII Jammer once size down from my Endurance Jammer size (per Speedo's sizing guidelines).

scyfreestyler
August 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Got the new FSII today. Fits like it was tailored to German specifications...guttenteit. I must say that I can't imagine putting on a bodysuit that was this tight.

blainesapprentice
August 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM
my college coach MAKES all the boys buy briefs for meets...no jammers allowed until championships, and even then it depends on ur events.

Slowswim
August 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
my college coach MAKES all the boys buy briefs for meets...no jammers allowed until championships, and even then it depends on ur events.

Why? Shouldn't you train in what you are going to race in? OK, not the tech suits, but at least the same style.

I am trying to get used to jammers. I don't like them. They feel very restrictive. The jury is still out.

Rob Copeland
August 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Why? Shouldn't you train in what you are going to race in? OK, not the tech suits, but at least the same style.Tradition!? Or a way to get coeds in the stands?

I was somewhat surprised when I went to my son’s first college meet and saw him racing in briefs. Prior to that, be always raced in jammers or leg suits. He even wore briefs this summer at USA-S meets, where you only saw college men wearing briefs.

But, from a decency perspective, does covering a man’s thighs make it more modest? Many of us would be better served to cover out guts, rather than our quads.

Shaman
August 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
So just wear speedo's. It seems to me lots if not most elite athletes train in them.

scyfreestyler
August 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Briefs are making a strong comeback it seems.

Slowswim
August 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM
So just wear speedo's. It seems to me lots if not most elite athletes train in them.

Shaman: That would make sense.

Rob: I didn't think ladies liked guys in Speedos (except the ones I was with at the '96 men's olympic water polo prelims...they seemed to like it..a lot!).

But the real question is utility. I'd think at college/Pro levels, you'd wear what you are fastest in. Isn't that what tech suits do for you?

I train in trunks because I race in them and just thought that Jammers were supposed to be faster. I've always been comfortable in briefs, but after turning 40 thought I'd give the ladies a change to keep their lunch down.:shakeshead:
</IMG>

Shaman
August 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Believe me if that's you in your avatar you'd look better in a speedo than most of the pot bellied old men rocking banana hammocks (no offense). I trained in trunks as a kid but I don't recommend it, there's so much drag it can hinder your form.
As far as tech suits are concerned...just a few years ago everyone thought the less fabric the better, which is why everyone wore speedos. Then came Ian Thorpe in his full body suit in 1998 I believe, which is the first body suit that I remember. Then came the 2000 Olympics, which is where body suits sort of made their debut. After that they started coming out with training Jammers and those got really popular because to an 11 year old Speedo's aren't cool. Speedos are coming back in vogue, I'm not sure if they ever went out at the elite level. I've heard that as far as training suits are concerned speedos are faster. To me they're more convenient and cheaper.
About drag suits, a little drag is a good thing, I'd look into something like this: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2381.htm which you can wear over a speedo or jammer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Go-gKbG57w take a look at that video at 2:35, can't believe that tall of a man can/used to fit himself into such a tiny suit.

scyfreestyler
August 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM
I think the wild colors and prints that briefs are now available in are aiding their rise in popularity.

aquageek
August 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Pierre say "go old school." The brief is back.

scyfreestyler
August 21st, 2007, 05:43 PM
Pierre say "go old school." The brief is back.

We all know what Pierre says. What does Pierre's wife say?

And what is Pierre going to wear in his grudge match with SwimStud?

gull
August 21st, 2007, 05:51 PM
The brief is back.

Reminds me of a picture I posted on a different thread.

Hey, when did you get the new truck?

aquageek
August 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM

A grudge match can only exist in a battle of equals, in a country where both are legal residents, where both swimmers know how to flip turn, and who drink manly coffee drinks, not tea, and certainly where both men DO NOT write poetry.

The wife of Pierre now calls me Pepe le Hot.

The Fortress
August 21st, 2007, 05:59 PM
I don't think briefs are all the ground-breaking. Seems like most of the men on my team train with the speedo mesh briefs. None of them are called Pierre.

scyfreestyler
August 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Fort, look at that avatar and tell me it's not groundbreaking for him to wear a brief.

gull
August 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM
The wife of Pierre now calls me Pepe le Hot.

I've met your wife, Somehow I doubt she said that. She strikes me as a woman with excellent taste. Which begs the obvious question...

The Fortress
August 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Fort, look at that avatar and tell me it's not groundbreaking for him to wear a brief.

Ah, but I've seen the photo of Geek and Gull. I recall what Geek looks like -- and it wasn't some skinny redneck. I think Pierre will be fine. Seems like the brief is a real hit with the wife, which is all that really matters.

BTW, I loved my own Pro! I didn't notice any bubbling, despite using a recordbreaker. No rips either, fortunately. Much lighter than the FS II. I wore my very old FS II for one event to keep the Pro dry -- it felt like a sodden heavy thing by comparison.

aquageek
August 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
None of them are called Pierre.

yet

SwimStud
August 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM

"...a finger and a thumb, in the shape of an L..."

...no wait, that's after...

aquageek
August 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
"...a finger and a thumb, in the shape of an L..."

...no wait, that's after...

Finally, some quality comedy! Good one.

imspoiled
August 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
I've noticed that the more comfortable men are with their swimming ability, the more avant guard they become with their suits.

The high school & college boys I train with love the Speedo Flip-turns prints and train in briefs. The louder the print the better (flowers, bright colors, whatever). It is a bit Darwinian. The best swimmers wear the loudest suits, while the slower guys stick to muted colors or jammers. Of course, these guys have zero body fat and barely need to shave.

Masters swimmers are at a whole different level on the evolutionary chain. We are more comfortable with our bodies (some, perhaps, too comfortable) and do not let things like stretch marks, beer bellies, or a few extra pounds stop us from strutting our stuff on deck. Suits that have seen so many competitons they're see-through--we just wear them in practice! Belly so big you can't see you toes--wear a loud speedo! We may never reclaim the speed we had in our youth, but darn it, we still look good.:D

SwimStud
August 22nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
The high school & college boys I train with love the Speedo Flip-turns prints and train in briefs. The louder the print the better (flowers, bright colors, whatever). It is a bit Darwinian. The best swimmers wear the loudest suits, while the slower guys stick to muted colors or jammers. Of course, these guys have zero body fat and barely need to shave.

Hmmm seems you've been paying careful attention...it's a "Springer" show waiting to happen....

Masters swimmers are at a whole different level on the evolutionary chain. We are more comfortable with our bodies (some, perhaps, too comfortable) and do not let things like stretch marks, beer bellies, or a few extra pounds stop us from strutting our stuff on deck. Suits that have seen so many competitons they're see-through--we just wear them in practice! Belly so big you can't see you toes--wear a loud speedo! We may never reclaim the speed we had in our youth, but darn it, we still look good.:D

34.651% of the reason I go to meets is due to the voyeurism factor...I'm seriously considering the Boratskin Pro for the Sprint Classic...
Masters don't need to have speed as an excuse to wear something eyecatching...we're confident enough and grateful for any pleasing glances received...laughing because you pop the a$$ out of your worn out old suit on the dive is just amusement for all.
Plus old suits have sentimental value... "I wore this when I went such and such time..."

At least swim chicks may understand why us guys like to retain uor trust old perforated t-shirts and boxers...

imspoiled
August 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
34.651% of the reason I go to meets is due to the voyeurism factor...I'm seriously considering the Boratskin Pro for the Sprint Classic...
You

I may just reconsider attending in order to see that! It would require a very thorough waxing to "pull-off" the look.:banana:

SwimStud
August 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
I may just reconsider attending in order to see that! It would require a very thorough waxing to "pull-off" the look.:banana:

I should have donned a banana hammock at Zones on Sunday we could have all laughed at my "fur jammers" :lmao:

Slowswim
August 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Shaman:

Yeah that's me in a race last summer. What I call trunks are my Speedo endurance Square legs.

I have a mesh drag suit and wore it today. Its more brief like than I am used to. I think I really hate my jammers now. I have briefs and will try them next workout. We'll see how it works for training. One down side is that in my jammers I didn't need another pair of shorts to make it from the parking lot through the gym to the pool.

Shaman
August 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Ah, ok.

ensignada
August 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM

Actually, Dana, to achieve "the look" would stipulate no shaving or waxing...

:shakeshead:

imspoiled
August 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
Actually, Dana, to achieve "the look" would stipulate no shaving or waxing...

:shakeshead:

Ok, this imagery is just :notworking:.