PDA

View Full Version : Truth, stranger than fiction!!

geochuck
August 8th, 2007, 12:39 AM
After high school I became a police cadet. In training to Join the Hamilton Police Department. After attending the Police Academy and becoming 21 years of age, I became a cop. I was sworn in and given a badge, HPD badge #44. When the badge was handed to me it had quite a large dent in it. The Chief of Police then told me a story - The badge had belonged to Constable Clark who was now Sargent Clark.

There was a break in at the Chop Stick Restaurant on James Street in Downtown Hamilton. Clark was the first to arrive and found a guy behind the till taking money out of it. The guy pulled a gun and Clark drew his gun.
The guy shot at Clark and Clark shot at the crook. The bullet that was shot at Clark went through the napkin holder, went through the napkins and hit Clark's badge putting a dent in it. Clark did not get hurt just a bruise over his heart.

You think Clark was lucky the crook was luckier. Clarks bullet bareley made it out of the barrel of his 38 Smith and Wesson gun and fell on the counter of the restaurant.

There was no powder in the shell just the percussion cap went off.

The chief told me he hopes I am as lucky as Sargent Clark. Clark ended up as the Deputy Chief of Police.

3strokes
August 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM
You think Clark was lucky the crook was luckier. Clarks bullet came out of the barrel of his Smith and Wesson gun and fell on the counter of the restaurant.

There was no powder in the shell just the percussion cap went off.

You're right, George (about truth being stranger than fiction). Had this scenario appeared in one of those Leslie Nielsen (Naked Gun) comedies, the audience would have "booed" and said that it was too far-fetched, and yet..............

Just as an aside, the blank was a bit of luck for Clark, in a way. No matter the circumstances, I believe no man can carry (lightly) the burden of fatally shooting another.

quicksilver
August 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I was sworn in and given a badge, HPD badge #44.

There was a break in at the Hong Kong Restaurant on James Street in Downtown Hamilton.

In the Chinese culture...the number 8 is considered very lucky. 4 and 4 add up to...good luck.

geochuck
August 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Memories are strange, I just remembered it was the Chop Stick restaurant what great food they had. It was on James Street North. Close to 6 of the roughest Bars in town. When I walked the beat it was where they put me.

I had to go into these bars to make sure every thing was ok. Every night was fight night and I was the referee.

Not only the referee, I think I was the main attraction. I fought, and ejected the bad guys right out to the Black Mariah (the Police Van's nickname).