PDA

View Full Version : High School Season

Mausy
August 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I am the new coach of a high school swim team. The old coach was fired and I am taking her place. She had the team doing two practices a day (1.5 hrs per practice) five days a week, and 2hrs. of dryland, three days a week. I feel that this is overkill due to the season being 6 months long. I propose a schedule like the following. What do you think? What can I add to help the swimmers. I also found out that no one swam over the summer, so everyone is coming in out of shape. Thanks for your help!

My tentative schedule (any input is welcome)

Afternoon Practice Begins 9/17
A Day
12:50-3:00 (students in Athletic period)
2:30-4:00 (students not in Athletic period)

B Day
2:30-4:00 (All students)

Morning Practice Begins End of Sept. or beginning of Oct. (I haven't decided)
Monday/Thursday
6:00-6:45 weights
Tuesday/Friday
5:30-7:00 swim

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Why was the previous coach fired? was she trying to kill her swimmers? I know it is popular again to make young swimmers swim great distances and really work hard.

coachchris
August 18th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Depending on the performance level of the swimmers, whether or not they were also swimming with a club team, and a horde of other factors, the previous schedule may or may not have been appropriate. Since you are now the coach, it's incumbent on you to determine what is an appropriate amount of training to support the swimmers' development and performance in the context of the program you set up. Unfortunately, this process involves some art and some science, and there's no real magic formula that is correct for all programs or all contexts. It may take a season or two to strike the right balance. Based on the data you gather in that time, you should be able to tell, based on the positive or negative changes in athlete improvement, whether or not the system you've set up will benefit the swimmers more than the previous program. Then, you can make appropriate changes based on your observations that can further refine the program and benefit your swimmers.

Mausy
August 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
The old coach was fired due to issues of favoritism and because of lack of knowledge about swimming.

I posted my question because I want to have a good season where the swimmers improve and not burnout. I am not sure how much is too much or too little.

I suppose the answer is just trial and error. Thanks for the responses.

haffathot
August 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM
as long as the members of your team like and respect you and have time to bond with their teammates, they will not likely burn out. kids burn out when the only feel for swimming they have has become an entirely negative one. thus, while workload is a factor, it is not a dispositive factor in the burn-out analysis. i believe a good team is made of aggressively effective practices and great team pride and spirit amongst the team members.

--Sean

christineL
October 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I got involved in swimming simply because my husband and I were furious with our former coach for not correcting our girls' swimming technique and that the coach did not do much to help our team achieve some rankings in our district. Our team were considered to be a joke which was very dimoralizing for our team. We got online to read more about what is correct technique and how to achieve that. That was good enough; however, nothing beat our time spending observing and talking with coaches from better teams in three states. Now, our new coach is working with the coach from the better team on how to help our team swim better and faster with correct techinque. Perhaps, you can hunt around to look for the better team to see if you can work with their coach before you can go ahead on your own.