PDA

View Full Version : More meets

gmgdc
February 17th, 2002, 11:25 AM
It seems as if other LMSC's do a much better job of scheduling a number of meets throughout the year. From my involvement in USA Swimming, I know that meets are a lot of work and time committment, but that doesn't stop areas like Kentucky from providing opportunities for competition.
Two years ago, at our annual January meet, we at Atomic City Aquatic Club in Oak Ridge hosted a sanctioned Masters meet by offering events in the afternoon session when the 13-14 and Sr. age groups were swimming. It was done on short notice, but we still had around 15 Masters swimmers turn out and for a first time effort at this sort of thing, I considered to be a success.
Unfortunately, what I had hoped would become an annual event ended with that first attempt.
If I can convince our team to try this again, (we host meets in both November and January) and solicit some outside help and support from other Masters swimmers in the LMSC, I believe this can happen.
Possibly, other USA teams would become interested in copying the effort to provide the increased opportunities to compete that I would like to see.
Any interest?

Rick Harris
February 20th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Greg, we would love to see more meets in our LMSC and are open to any suggestions about how to encourage them. Right now the Southeastern LMSC will pay $500 to any USMS club or other legitimate meet host as a subsidy for meets held in the boundaries of our LMSC. The only requirement is that the meet not be a developmental meet (in other words, it must be an open and competitive meet in which some effort is made to recruit entrants from outside the host club), that the meet be sanctioned, and that the meet follow all applicable USMS rules, including timely reporting of results to the Top Ten Recorder.

In the lower half of the LMSC, there is a very good meet hosted every year at Auburn University in an extremely fast pool. There were SCY meets last year in Montgomery, AL and Pensacola, FL, and there was a great open water swim in Pensacola. There has been a sanctioned LCM meet for the past two years in Alabama in June (Tuscaloosa in 2000 and Mobile in 2001), and there will be another in Mobile this year. There will probably be an LCM meet in NW FLA in June as well. Many of our Alabama and NW FLA swimmers take advantage of the several meets hosted each year in the Atlanta area (only a 2.5 hour drive for me). And there are generally some meets in Louisiana that are within striking distance for us.

I realize this is not particularly helpful to those of you in Tennessee. All I can say is that there are a lot of reasons that clubs are willing or unwilling to host masters meets. Facility availability, timing system availability, and willingness to do all the work are prominent among those reasons. And it is pretty frustrating when you go to all the trouble and work of putting a meet on, recruiting officials and timers and getting all the meet entry info processed, and then only 20 swimmers show up.

Your model of a combined masters/age group meet is certainly viable and solves problems of facility availability, timing system availability, and the need to recruit volunteer timers and officials. I'd like to see more meets organized on that model. The problem usually is in getting the USA swimming club to go along. Keep plugging away up there, and if there is anything the LMSC can do to help, please speak up.

Rick

gmgdc
February 20th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Rick,
Thanks for the information. I'll talk to the board members of our USA team to see if they're interested in doing a meet. The $500 incentive might help them decide. At the very least, I think we can get people from Chattanooga, Nashville and the Tri-Cities area to attend, in addition to us in Oak Ridge and those in Knoxville. I'll keep you posted.
Greg

GeorgeS
February 21st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Rick:

Where can I find information about the meet in Mobile this year? I remember there was one last year or year before for Alabama residents only. Is this the same meet?

George

Conner Bailey
March 8th, 2002, 02:58 PM
I'm sanctions chair for our LMSC and am more than happy to work with anyone wanting to organize meets. Keep in mind, our LMSC provides a bonus payment of $500 to any team sponsoring a sanctioned swim meet.

Conner Bailey
Auburn Masters

Conner Bailey
March 8th, 2002, 03:03 PM
This is indeed the "Alabama Games." Just been sanctioned for USMS. Contact Tom Healey who serving as meet director. tomh@alagames.com

Conner Bailey
Auburn Masters

gmgdc
March 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Conner,
I think I have generated some interest among our USA Swimming "parent" club board members to host a meet. It may have to wait until November when we have our age group meet and run a masters sanctioned meet in the afternoon session with the 13 & overs. We did this a few years ago so I know it can be done logistically.
I'll talk to you next weekend in Atlanta (I saw your name in the psych sheets). I believe we'll be swimming some of the same events on Sunday, which is the only day I signed up for.