PDA

View Full Version : Swedish goggles?

aquageek
August 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM
How long does it normally take to get used to the feel of Swedish-type goggles. I have decided to be done with new fancy goggles that seem to crack, leak or just break overnight in my gym bag.

Paul Smith
August 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM
How long does it normally take to get used to the feel of Swedish-type goggles. I have decided to be done with new fancy goggles that seem to crack, leak or just break overnight in my gym bag.

So very un-Triathlete like on your part! :thhbbb:

etrain
August 14th, 2007, 10:06 AM
It usually takes me 2-3 practices to get them fitting correctly, but then they are just fine for me!

I tried using the old foam ones awhile back and couldn't, I guess I just will have to always use the cheap swedes now!

etrain

smontanaro
August 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I use TYR socket rockets. I *think* they are like the Swedish goggles
you're referring to. They work fine for me. No real adaptation
required. I have noticed via painful experience that the white straps
seem to be shorter than the black straps. My current pair has the new
goggles with the black straps from my previous pair as a result.

Skip Montanaro

TheGoodSmith
August 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM
The problem with swedish goggles is that they are too specific to the "right" face size and dimensions. If they don't fit by now and are comfortable, they will probably never fit. I can't were them as they dig into my sockets to hard.

On the other hand, there are those (such as the Evil Smith) that swear by them.

Give me a good pair of Compys from 1978 and I'm good to go.

John smith

Sam Perry
August 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Old school Hind Compys - the only way to go.

JennyS
August 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Old school Hind Compys - the only way to go.

I've adapted to newer style goggles, but your picture reminds me of my flashy red Hind Compys from high school! They were great.

Sam Perry
August 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I've adapted to newer style goggles, but your picture reminds me of my flashy red Hind Compys from high school! They were great.

Still wear them every day. Red for sunny days in AZ (which is every day) blue for early morning when sun is not out. I buy about 10 pairs at a time and burn through them over a couple of years. They only cost about $5.00 (about the only thing I like that is cheap), so why change.

Shaman
August 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM

If swedes are right for you they'll suction perfectly with just the eyepiece then the next hurdle is getting the nose piece just right, to wide and the inside of the socket digs into your eye, to thin and you'll leak through the sides. Also make sure you don't have the straps to tight.

okoban
August 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM
SABENA (Such A Bad Experience, Never Again)

geochuck
August 15th, 2007, 11:06 AM
These are the best I have found by Aqua Sphere http://www.aquasphereswim.com/products/kaiman_clear_dblue.html

Treebox
August 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
John and Sam (and any other Hind Compy fans)

I used to buy them a dozen at a time but my supply ran out about a year ago and I've been unhappy since. Where can you still find them?

Its always a pleasant sight to see a swimmer sporting the familiar green strap of Compy's.

The only ones I'm happy with lately are Nike Remora's but they cost 3x as much.

Tree

ALM
August 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
WOW, I didn't know they still made Hind Compy goggles! I found them here:

http://www.swimtowin.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1995&category_id=152

GEEK: Have you tried TYR Racetechs? I've used them for years and they seem to hold up well. They're about $10.00 a pair, so they're not terribly expensive. Plus you can buy replacement strap kits for about $2.00 (the straps always seem to go first).

Anna Lea

aquageek
August 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, Racetechs are good and come in fruitful colors, appealing to the Smiths.

geochuck
August 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I bought leekies in Mexico the main thing about these are they get your eyes adjusted to water. They were cheap, made in China and the lead paint to give the color was easily removed by children who put them in their mouths. They may have been sold by Mattel

Sam Perry
August 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM
WOW, I didn't know they still made Hind Compy goggles! I found them here:

http://www.swimtowin.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1995&category_id=152

GEEK: Have you tried TYR Racetechs? I've used them for years and they seem to hold up well. They're about $10.00 a pair, so they're not terribly expensive. Plus you can buy replacement strap kits for about $2.00 (the straps always seem to go first).

Anna Lea

Yes, swimtowin is where I get them. At one point they qit making them and Speedo did. Hind came back to my pleasure. Nothing beats the green strap!

Paul Smith
August 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Yes, Racetechs are good and come in fruitful colors, appealing to the Smiths.

Actually only JS wears them and only mirrored....all the better for him to look at his receding hairline each time he puts them on!

I'm a Nike goggle guy myself.....

david.margrave
August 16th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I'm giving the Swedish goggles a try. My only complaint so far is they don't seem to have an anti-fog coating (maybe you have to pay $10 for a pair of those instead of $5 for the normal ones?)

They fit okay and I think with enough fiddling around I could get them to the right tightness to keep the water out and also be comfortable. I use a piece of the strap as a nosepiece instead of the string (I have seen other people do this). One thing I like about them is you can adjust them just by pulling on the strap, instead of having to thread or unthread the strap through a clasp or fitting.

I'll probably still pick up a few pairs of the original speedo pros on-line, since I'm building a large collection of goggles.

Midas
August 16th, 2007, 12:43 AM
To get the nose piece on my swedes just right, I twist the eyepieces in circles. that twists up straps, but it's always worked for me just fine...

smontanaro
August 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM
TYR Socket Rockets have a small rubber strap nosepiece. They come with the string thing also, but I've never used it.

Skip Montanaro

elliec
August 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
The problem with swedish goggles is that they are too specific to the "right" face size and dimensions. If they don't fit by now and are comfortable, they will probably never fit. I can't were them as they dig into my sockets to hard.

On the other hand, there are those (such as the Evil Smith) that swear by them.

Give me a good pair of Compys from 1978 and I'm good to go.

John smith

I agree. Swedish goggles must fit to your eye sockets--if they do they will be painless and watertight. You will know immediately when you put them on. They are the only goggles I wear since I swim with contacts and don't want any leaks. Also I've had the same pair of goggles for ten years! However, I have MANY friends who have never been able to wear them due to face shape.