PDA

View Full Version : Prostate Surgery Comeback

Glenn
August 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I am scheduled for prostate surgery on September 6. It is stage 1 cancer which most likely is contained only in the prostate. I expect a full recovery and am looking forward to SCM championships in Long Beach in December.

I have been told the recovery time is only a few days but obviously no swimming until the catheter is removed which will be 2 weeks.

My question is have any of you been through this and what was your experience with regard to swimming?

Thanks!!!

Glenn:wave:

meldyck
August 14th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Glenn,

I have a friend who recently went through this (a cardiologist and masters skier and biker, so quite fit). His main problem turned out be a rip in the sutures, after resuming exercise, which filled his lung cavity with (distributed) blood that could not be drained. He has had to take it easy for quite a while waiting for the body to absorb the fluid. Otherwise, I believe he was told to take it easy for a couple of weeks, not a few days.

Hope this helps but that your recovery from surgery is much smoother than his. Best of wishes.

Glenn
August 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks Mel. I know the recovery will be more than a few days, but the hospital stay will be one or two days only. Thanks for the heads up on the sutures. My wife had the same concerns. Better to take a few days/weeks longer than to give yourself more complications.

Good to see you at Mission Veijo.

Glenn

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
We in the States are the only contry that aggressively treats prostate cancer. Yet we have the highest death rate from prostate cancer in the western world.

Slowswim
August 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
We in the States are the only contry that aggressively treats prostate cancer. Yet we have the highest death rate from prostate cancer in the western world.

Is this true? I'd heard that if you live long enough, all males will get Prostrate Cancer. Just the hazard of it s job.

As I understand it, its a slow progressing cancer. If we have a high death rate it probably because we are looking and collecting data and other countries aren't

Glenn: Good luck and a speedy recovery!

SwimStud
August 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Best wishes Glenn.

Glenn
August 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Yes, most men do get prostate cancer at some point. And yes it is slow growing, which is why many of those diagnosed in their 80's go the "watchful waiting" route. Most men die with prostate cancer not from prostate cancer.

I'm 58 and had a spike in my PSA from 2.9 to 3.7 last March. The urologist suggested that I have a biopsy. I said OK.......but after Nationals at Federal Way and National Senior Games in Louisville in July. Got back on July 7 had the biopsy July 9 and diagnosis on July 11.

I plan to be at Austin next May!!!

Thanks for your good wishes.

Glenn:wine:

SwimStud
August 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Yes, most men do get prostate cancer at some point. And yes it is slow growing, which is why many of those diagnosed in their 80's go the "watchful waiting" route. Most men die with prostate cancer not from prostate cancer.

I'm 58 and had a spike in my PSA from 2.9 to 3.7 last March. The urologist suggested that I have a biopsy. I said OK.......but after Nationals at Federal Way and National Senior Games in Louisville in July. Got back on July 7 had the biopsy July 9 and diagnosis on July 11.

I plan to be at Austin next May!!!

Thanks for your good wishes.

Glenn:wine:

for me >80 is good enough (IRA/401k will be gone by then...)...no poking and cutting about for me...

We'll be celebrating with you post races Glenn!!

swimshark
August 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Best wishes Glenn!

Alison

Allen Stark
August 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and fast swimming.

Glenn
August 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Allen,

I figure that without my prostate I'll be a little lighter and expect to swim faster!!

Glenn:groovy:

jim clemmons
August 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Allen,

I figure that without my prostate I'll be a little lighter and expect to swim faster!!

Glenn:groovy:

At least make it a little easier to keep your hips up? :lolup:

Rich Abrahams
August 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Jim,
That assumes it has a specific gravity of more than 1.0. What if the little sucker floats like a cork?

Glenn, Did you ever get a chance to contact B.P. re his recovery?

Rich

Glenn
August 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Jim,

I expect I will be a little higher in the water....is that me at your toes???

Also Jim I had a great talk with John, he was very helpful and encouraging. Thank you so much for that!

Rich,

I did speak with BD and we had a very good conversation. He gave me some good advice that I will heed. I can't thank you enough for getting me in contact with him.

Glenn

Oddly enough, this morning in workout I was talking to a lane mate and it turns out that he may have prostate cancer too. He has kind of had his head in the sand on this and thought if he would ignore it it would go away. I gave him some very friendly but stern advice. He told me he will call his urologist today. I'll check tomorrow.

The support I have gotten here has been wonderful!!! It is really nice to be a part of such a caring group of people. Aw shucks!!!

Glenn
August 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Rich,

Did I type BD? I meant BP. Got an e-mail from BP jr with more of the information on his Dad.

BP jr., - I tried to PM you back. Not being a computer geek, I don't know if I did it right or not???

Glenn

Glenn
September 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Post-OP update!!

Surgery took 2 and 1/2 hours and I was home in less than 48 hours. The surgical margins were clear, meaning that the cancer was totally removed. The cancer was at the early stage they thought it was in when they did the biopsy. About 40% of the time when they do surgery they find the cancer is worse, so lucky me.

Had a few ups and downs while recovering at home but mostly due to medications. The antibiotic Cipro has a rare side effect of sometimes causing tendon pain and/or rupture! I had some tendon pain in the rotator cuff area and in one of the origins of the latismus dorsi muscle. That was very painful. I switched antibiotics, went to my acupunctuist to help relieve the pain and it is much much better.

Had the catheter removed today and I feel 100% better.

The prostate that was removed weighed in at 70 grams, so I will be a little bit lighter when I get back to the pool.

Doctor says I can get back in the water in two more weeks, but we will be in New Jersey for my 40th HS reunion. After that we will go up to Maine to visit family and do some site seeing and leaf peeping.

We get back to Pasadena on October 19 and I will be in the water on October 20!!!

Thank you to all of you who sent best wishes and particularly to Rich Abrahams and Jim Clemmons who got me in contact with swimmers who have recently gone through the same thing. And of course the biggest thank you to my wife without whom I could not have done as well as I did!

See you at the pool.:wave:

jim clemmons
September 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM
That's wonderful Glenn. Perhaps we'll see you at SPMA's then?

Take care.

meldyck
September 19th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Great, Glenn. Sorry you won't be swimming at the Huntsman Old Peoples Games in St George in mid October. See you in Austin?

Glenn
September 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Jim,

I will be at Long Beach but only to cheer on Ventura County Masters.

Mel,

No Huntsman this year but I've got 7 months to train for Austin!

Glenn

Rich Abrahams
September 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Glenn,
Great news re your surgery. Enjoy your rest and be patient. You've built up a huge reservoir of fitness over the years and you'll get back into great shape sooner than you think (although the first week back you might not believe it).

Hope to see you in Austin,

Rich