PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Guru's - am I asking for trouble?

gufyduck
August 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Background - My shoulders seem to get worse when I either up the yardage too fast or if I swim too many consecutive days. My current swim schedule is Monday, Tuesday (stroke work with a coach), Thursday, and Saturday. This past week I have had no pain.

Last night, the coach decided to work on evilstroke, as fortress would say. Its by far my worst stroke, and in need of lots of work. Right now I am planing on working with the coach again on Thursday. However, the idea of two entire days of evil stroke is killing me, and I am tempted to go swim tonight. Am I asking for trouble by swimming four consecutive days? Monday was a normal workout, Tuesday was evilstroke, tonight will be a regular workout, and Thursday will be evilstroke.

Any opinions?

scyfreestyler
August 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Are you sore at all right now, with respect to your shoulders? If not I would go ahead and swim.

JennyS
August 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Background - My shoulders seem to get worse when I either up the yardage too fast or if I swim too many consecutive days. My current swim schedule is Monday, Tuesday (stroke work with a coach), Thursday, and Saturday. This past week I have had no pain.

Last night, the coach decided to work on evilstroke, as fortress would say. Its by far my worst stroke, and in need of lots of work. Right now I am planing on working with the coach again on Thursday. However, the idea of two entire days of evil stroke is killing me, and I am tempted to go swim tonight. Am I asking for trouble by swimming four consecutive days? Monday was a normal workout, Tuesday was evilstroke, tonight will be a regular workout, and Thursday will be evilstroke.

Any opinions?

Evilstroke is backstroke, right? ;) Just curious. Have you been icing your shoulders after workout? That's what my coach tells me to do when they're sore and it helps. Also, shoulder strength exercises can help. For example, using elastic bands or small arm raises with your arms extended to the sides holding on to really light weights, like cans of corn or soup (or whatever you have in your house).

The Fortress
August 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Any opinions?

My shoulders hurt if I do that too. If you're going to swim consecutive days, try not to go super hard both days. Ramping up fast is a receipe for disaster. I know it's really hard, but try to be patient and increase yardage slowly. And how many yards are you doing per workout? If I swim 4000 (almost never), I have to take the next day off or swim easy.

If you want to swim, you can. Just make sure not to go too hard or do too much yardage if you're scheduled for a real workout tomorrow. Plenty of other stuff to work on today if you're doing evilstroke tomorrow.

You're not doing the whole workout evilstroke, are you? I can see focusing on it, but I presume you're doing other strokes too? One stroke for the entire workout isn't usually the best idea.

gufyduck
August 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Are you sore at all right now, with respect to your shoulders? If not I would go ahead and swim.

As of right now my shoulders feel fine. They were a little sore this morning, either from sleeping on them or because I used slightly heavier weights doing RC exercises yesterday, but as of 3 PM, they feel great.

Evilstroke is backstroke, right? ;) Just curious. Have you been icing your shoulders after workout? That's what my coach tells me to do when they're sore and it helps. Also, shoulder strength exercises can help. For example, using elastic bands or small arm raises with your arms extended to the sides holding on to really light weights, like cans of corn or soup (or whatever you have in your house).

Evilstroke is breast stroke. I am doing exercises to strengthen my shoulders, and ice when they feel sore. I should ice more often, but its been getting colder at nights, and have been avoiding ice packs. Just a side note, we have a store near by called Play-it-Again sports, and I bought some used 1 and 2 pound weights for dirt cheap ($0.60 per pound). They are much easier to hold onto than cans.

My shoulders hurt if I do that too. If you're going to swim consecutive days, try not to go super hard both days. Ramping up fast is a receipe for disaster. I know it's really hard, but try to be patient and increase yardage slowly. And how many yards are you doing per workout? If I swim 4000 (almost never), I have to take the next day off or swim easy.

If you want to swim, you can. Just make sure not to go too hard or do too much yardage if you're scheduled for a real workout tomorrow. Plenty of other stuff to work on today if you're doing evilstroke tomorrow.

You're not doing the whole workout evilstroke, are you? I can see focusing on it, but I presume you're doing other strokes too? One stroke for the entire workout isn't usually the best idea.
The fact that it is four consecutive days when the most I do right now is what does concern me. Right now I am doing about 2500 yards on a regular basis, less when I work with the coach. Technically, when I work with the coach, it is a stroke clinic. He has been working his way through all four strokes, focusing on one at a time. The clinics are really fun, we spend a lot of time doing drills, and every time I have gone, I do feel that I leave a better swimmer. This week he is focusing on evilstroke, so yes, Tuesday and Thursday will be all evilstroke.

I think I will swim tonight, but only do 2000 yards. I'll throw in a little evilstroke just to work on stuff, but that will definitely not be my focus.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Slowswim
August 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM

No, I believe its Fly.:groovy: