PDA

View Full Version : College Relays at Masters Nationals - Austin

TheGoodSmith
August 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Why not create and organize some new teams by college names under separate USMS affiliations to help create additional interest in Masters Swimming an potentially recruite former swimming alumni for relays?

I know several 40+ Texas alumns that could crush old SMU (pigmy horses) in a 200 medley.

John Smith

scyfreestyler
August 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Doping would be an issue. Don't say I didn't warn you.

TheGoodSmith
August 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Florida's alumni will have to screen their own athletes.

The Texas team will supply free motrin and coffee to their athletes prior to their race.

John Smith

ande
August 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Longhorn Masters has received several registrations from former UT swimmers and Longhorn Aquatics members, along with comitments to register in 2008

Longhorn Masters hopes to reassemble several generations of UT relays
Many former UT swimmers said they will swim in Austin in 2008 wearing orange.

Raz

Why not create and organize some new teams by college names under separate USMS affiliations to help create additional interest in Masters Swimming an potentially recruite former swimming alumni for relays?

I know several 40+ Texas alumns that could crush old SMU (pigmy horses) in a 200 medley.

John Smith

Paul Smith
August 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM
As a UCSB grad I'm fortunate that none of the "drups" on the "banned" list for swimming apply! :groovy:

The Fortress
August 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Why stop with college relays? (I'm not sure there's anyone from my college on the forum, from what I can discern, anyway.)

Why not allow people to organize their own teams?

aquageek
August 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
The only thing noteworthy about Texas is that they were foolish enough to take Mack Brown off the 'Heels hands.

I went to UNC but may swim with any UGA alums, since I'm a Dawg by marriage and they are better swimmers anyway.

If you didn't swim in college, but drank a lot, can you still compete?

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Why stop with college relays? (I'm not sure there's anyone from my college on the forum, from what I can discern, anyway.)

Why not allow people to organize their own teams?

Team "Poetry In Motion" will stomp Team "Grumpy Backwater Rednecks"

TheGoodSmith
August 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Ande,

Sounds good to me. We can swim for Longhorn to form our UT alumn relays.

Evil one...... UCSB is not allowed to play...... Division I only.

Fortress.... I agree...... why stop at college relays.

John Smith

aquageek
August 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Team "Poetry In Motion" will stomp Team "Grumpy Backwater Rednecks"

Who woulda guessed you'd want to be on a ladies team and name it after poetry? I suspect there will be some pinky-extended tea sippin' as well. "Shots of estrogen all around," says Stud.

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Who woulda guessed you'd want to be on a ladies team and name it after poetry? I suspect there will be some pinky-extended tea sippin' as well. "Shots of estrogen all around," says Stud.

I'll write Dara a nice ditty...it'll be funny seeing her outgun you!

newmastersswimmer
August 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Ande,

Sounds good to me. We can swim for Longhorn to form our UT alumn relays.

Evil one...... UCSB is not allowed to play...... Division I only.

Fortress.... I agree...... why stop at college relays.

John Smith

So do Division I Mid-Major teams count then as well? LOL!

ALM
August 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'm sure a Kansas Jayhawks relay team would be a contender... provided that the relay involves a basketball...
-

JimRude
August 16th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I shall do my best to assemble a team of ex-California Golden Bears... I know of at least one (Roque Santos) who is still active, and I am determined to find others!

TheGoodSmith
August 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I shall do my best to assemble a team of ex-California Golden Bears... I know of at least one (Roque Santos) who is still active, and I am determined to find others!

Jim,

I suggest you contact David Boatwright.

slknight
August 16th, 2007, 01:22 PM
The only thing noteworthy about Texas is that they were foolish enough to take Mack Brown off the 'Heels hands.

I went to UNC but may swim with any UGA alums, since I'm a Dawg by marriage and they are better swimmers anyway.

Fellow UNC grad here. :wave:

The Fortress
August 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Maybe we need a good Yankee relay ... :woot:

knelson
August 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Anthony Ervin, though he'd probably put your relay in a younger age group. Maybe you can coax Matt Biondi out of retirement. He'd be a decent relay teammate!

My Michigan State teammates Steve Bargwell, Alec Mull and Ron Orris are all currently swimming masters. Alec and Ron swam at LC Nats and are swimming fast. It would be fun to organize a college relay, but any really fast relay would have me cheering from the side of the pool rather than in the water.

aquageek
August 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM
good Yankee

oxymoron

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
moron

Don't be so harsh on yourself...

The Fortress
August 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
moron

At least we know there's more to life than BBQ and tobacco. :mooning:

knelson
August 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Well, duh. There's also NASCAR.

The Fortress
August 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe we need a good Yankee relay ... :woot:

I was actually raised in the midwest anyway. I'll do a mixed relay with Kirk!

JennyS
August 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM

I had to swim next to him in a relay. A very humbling experience! (Not that I needed it.)

JimRude
August 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
In fact, I ran into Dave a while back, just after he set his 50m free WR... I will do so, great suggestion!

aquageek
August 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Is there? When did this happen? Toss in some fried chicken, cans of Bud, and a good race, as knelson mentions, and all my needs are met.

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Is there? When did this happen? Toss in some fried chicken, cans of Bud, and a good race, as knelson mentions, and all my needs are met.

Wooo boy ain't you fancy? Too good for Schlitz or PBR ?

A good race...is that you running after your cousin to get her to go on a date with you??

aquageek
August 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM
A good race...is that you running after your cousin to get her to go on a date with you??

Are you even here legally? What can we do to get this guy deported back to Great England or Tonyblairville? My cousin is an atty in the DC area. Maybe I can retain her and Fort to start deportation hearings.

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Are you even here legally? What can we do to get this guy deported back to Great England or Tonyblairville? My cousin is an atty in the DC area. Maybe I can retain her and Fort to start deportation hearings.

Sadly you'll have to look for a felony conviction. I am as American as you, in fact moreso because I am an immigrant. Last I check being slow at Front Crawl and ragging on you don't quite reach that level of crime...and some folk in fact, condsider my zippy one liners at you an art form...

:p

aquageek
August 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
and some folk in fact, condsider my zippy one liners at you an art form...

I'm fresh out of zippy one liners. Please video your performances this weekend and put on youtube so I can restock.

scyfreestyler
August 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I am as American as you, in fact moreso because I am an immigrant.

Not sure how that computes, but whatever.

Brian Stack
August 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Jim,
I suggest you contact David Boatwright.

Hey, what are you guys trying to do, take a little steam out of Walnut Creek. You'll have to offer more than Motrin and Coffee to pry those guys loose.
Forget about Joe McCarthy too, he's a Manatee!
Remember, in the Pacific LMSC we compete on our real teams!:drink:

scyfreestyler
August 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Hey, what are you guys trying to do, take a little steam out of Walnut Creek. You'll have to offer more than Motrin and Coffee to pry those guys loose.
Forget about Joe McCarthy too, he's a Manatee!
Remember, in the Pacific LMSC we compete on our real teams!:drink:

That's what I'm talking about!

TheGoodSmith
August 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Don't worry....... Walnut Creek won't be winning the mens 45-54 relays this year.

John Smith

"Hook'em Horns"

The Fortress
August 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Remember, in the Pacific LMSC we compete on our REAL teams!:drink:

But are you superteams or club teams, eh?

Jeff Commings
August 16th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Makes you wonder why ASU didn't think of this in 2003, or why IU didn't consider it in 2004.

As much as the premise of relay heats full of UT alumni is, I'm on the fence about this.

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Not sure how that computes, but whatever.

Isn't this a nation build of tired, huddled masses?? Well Geek there maybe a surprise for you yet...you'll just have to be a good boy.

scyfreestyler
August 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM
How does being an immigrant make you more of an American?

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM
How does being an immigrant make you more of an American?

Oh I think enduring the trials of INS should count for something...

scyfreestyler
August 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM

So your children are lesser Americans than you are for not having endured said trials?

Are you pulling my chain here? If not, this is the first time I have ever heard such an absurd argument about the degree of "Americanism".

lefty
August 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM
"Hook'em Horns"

You may have heard that something like 7 ex and current Longhorn football players have been arrested in the last 12 months...thus I think you meant...

"Book'em Horns"

aquageek
August 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Oh yeah, I'm sure sitting in an air conditioned office filling out forms was grueling compared to Ellis Island, which our forefathers endured. Dang, you are one tough dude, did you get writer's cramp filling out all those forms?

gull
August 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Why not add a separate exhibition event for college alumni relays?

Rob Copeland
August 16th, 2007, 06:16 PM
...compared to Ellis Island, which our forefathers endured.Mine came over on a leaky little boat called the Mayflower, but unless your forefathers swam across, please remember this is supposed to be a swimming related thread.:shakeshead:

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
So your children are lesser Americans than you are for not having endured said trials?

Are you pulling my chain here? If not, this is the first time I have ever heard such an absurd argument about the degree of "Americanism".

Um...well 1 is foreign born the, other born here in true newly arrived immigrant fashion...perhaps we got overjoyed with our newfound freedoms....

Yes Matt I'm being tongue in cheek ;)

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah, I'm sure sitting in an air conditioned office filling out forms was grueling compared to Ellis Island, which our forefathers endured. Dang, you are one tough dude, did you get writer's cramp filling out all those forms?

NoI had an American citizen do it for me.. all that ommitting the letter U and obsessing over the use of the letter "Zed" where an ds sufficed for many centuries previously.

You can mock Geek. I assure you INS in NYC was no holiday inn...

FlyQueen
August 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Mine came over on a leaky little boat called the Mayflower, but unless your forefathers swam across, please remember this is supposed to be a swimming related thread.:shakeshead:

Hey mine did too Rob!

SwimStud
August 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Rob, Heather...that's really very cool if it's true!

Perhaps I ought to race under the British flag in Austin next year...
:D

Brian Stack
August 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM
But are you superteams or club teams, eh?
We, Pacific Masters compete with the teams we train with for the most part. Some swimmers train with teams that don't attend meets together, so they register with competetive teams to swim on relays, and continue to train with their "home" team. The closest thing we have to a "Super Team" in Pacific is the Olympic Club, but we love them anyway. Most of the teams in Pacific are neighborhood teams, some of the larger teams might be made up of folks from one or two cities. Our club (250+ members) trains in Oakland, but we have members from Castro Valley, Berkeley, Piedmont, and surrounding suburbs. Make no mistake,tho' we are club teams for sure. :cool:

Brian Stack
August 16th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Why not add a separate exhibition event for college alumni relays?
There ya go! :agree:

jim clemmons
August 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
We, Pacific Masters compete with the teams we train with for the most part. Some swimmers train with teams that don't attend meets together, so they register with competetive teams to swim on relays, and continue to train with their "home" team. Most of the teams in Pacific are neighborhood teams, some of the larger teams might be made up of folks from one or two cities. Our club (250+ members) trains in Oakland, but we have members from Castro Valley, Berkeley, Piedmont, and surrounding suburbs. Make no mistake tho', we are club teams for sure. :cool:

Don't forget Dublin, Alameda, Richmond, Livermore, Pleasanton, Lafayette, San Leandro, Vacaville - wow - where else?

Brian Stack
August 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Don't forget Dublin, Alameda, Richmond, Livermore, Pleasanton, Lafayette, San Leandro, Vacaville - wow - where else?
Dude, it takes a village! :banana:

JimRude
August 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Is this the Brian that once worked at Evan Flavell's FitLab...?

newmastersswimmer
August 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Well, duh. There's also NASCAR.

...And don't forget professional wrestling! LOL!

....And now to make this a swimming related post: To be fair, Division I midmajor schools, and Division II schools should receive a fair handicap in this college relay competition IMO LOL!

Brian Stack
August 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Is this the Brian that once worked at Evan Flavell's FitLab...?

You bet! You wouldn't be Jim who used to manage the Fitlab on Solano, would you?

meldyck
August 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM
At the risk of getting John Smith's hair to uncurl (I know he believes that UT is the only swim power since the Creation of the Earth), if we did a relay of 60-70 year olds Indiana (where I graduated but did not swim) would probably crush any other competition, assuming they could get together enough swimmers.

JimRude
August 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
You bet! You wouldn't be Jim who used to manage the Fitlab on Solano, would you?

Indeed I am!

Brian Stack
August 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Indeed I am!
What's up Brah, and what got you to OR??? I hope you're well.
I still see Evan wandering the streets of Albany now and then, but I wonder what ever happened to Art???
Do you ever hear from Bengt?

JimRude
August 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Worked in Europe until 2000, then came back to Santa Cruz. Stayed there until the first 2 (of 3) kids arrived, then moved to OR for a slower pace of life... Still visit the Bay Area at least 2x per month for work (have an office in S.C.).

I know Art is working as a realtor in Moraga, and that Evan is "retired". Nort has apparently been forced out at Cal... the stupidity of an A.D. never ceases to amaze me.

I am still in touch with Bengt regularly, though we saw alot more of each other when I was still in Europe.

I started swimming masters only in May, motivated in a big way by the untimely death of my freshman year roomie at Cal, Kevin.

Maybe we'll catch up at a meet soon - I'm planning to swim the SCM champ's at Walnut Creek in October.

Paul Smith
August 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
FYI...John and I have gotten a lot of interest from alums at Texas, SMU, Florida, UCSB & USC.....with alumni meets across the country on the calender for late September/October the possibility of contacting a lot of people and gauging their interest looks good.

The question is....would USMS support this type of recruitment or frown upon it? IMHO something that like this could elevate the awareness of masters swimming, draw in new members, help colleges looking to provide interesting events for their alumni, etc. etc.

The main thing that think would need to be addressed by USMS is an update to the current scoring to bring back either the Small, Medium, Large team format or create a hybrid such as a "Club Division" and an "Open Division".

Peter Cruise
August 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Paul, I wonder if John would allow ex-foreign students who competed on scholarships to swim for these alumni teams?

Also, I would personally find it very entertaining if every four years if there were just 3 super teams competing (Republicans, Democrats, Independents).

Quentin Tarantino could be the meet director...

meldyck
August 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Paul, I wonder if John would allow ex-foreign students who competed on scholarships to swim for these alumni teams?

Also, I would personally find it very entertaining if every four years if there were just 3 super teams competing (Republicans, Democrats, Independents).

Quentin Tarantino could be the meet director...

Peter,

I'm sure John wouldn't object. However, AquaGreek might bring out the militia and chase them furriners off'n Merican sol...

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Could those of us who went to really small schools just gang up on everyone else? I went to one of the largests high school, at the time, in Illinios. Then I went to one of this great state's smallest colleges. Maybe we could get handicapped depending on where US News & World Reports ranked our college?

Paul Smith
August 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Could those of us who went to really small schools just gang up on everyone else? I went to one of the largests high school, at the time, in Illinios. Then I went to one of this great state's smallest colleges. Maybe we could get handicapped depending on where US News & World Reports ranked our college?

Craig.....one of the things John and I have done is badger people we swam with a different stages of our lives to make a "comeback" if you will with masters. In Coral Springs John didn't swim relays with Colorado because he had gotten his 11-12 year old relay team from Ohio back in action! The possibility of having people reunite with college, high school....whatever to me makes this fun and gets more people participating.

Yes we have also chosen to swim for teams that pissed people off here such as Team TYR at worlds.....but for me there was no second thoughts given what so ever....to swim with guys that I competed against but never with during college and USS years was awesome. The reality is for me is that as serious as I am as a competitor...I don't take "competing" in masters as serious (make sense?).....the friendships, rivalries, smack talk with Geek and wine chats with Fort keep me coming back when many times I'd rather be sitting on the couch eating pizza...wait I still do that.....is cholesterol on the banned list?!

TheGoodSmith
August 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Try and remember the 2 cardinal rules of Masters Swimming....

1. In the end, people really don't care that much how FAST you are ....... they just want to see how bald and FAT you are.

2. In the end.......... it's just Masters Swimming..... :-)

John Smith

Rich Abrahams
August 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
While I'm serious re personal swimming goals, my attitude toward masters competition is reflected in the lyrics to one of my favorite blues songs"

"Nobody loves me but my mama, and she may be jiving me too."

Rich

TheGoodSmith
August 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Rich,

That's B.B. King.

For cripes sake man you're talking like a man in his 60's.

John Smith

aquageek
August 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Bald, fat, 60s music, maybe you guys are on the wrong website. Try this one instead - http://www.uswfa.com/

SwimStud
August 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Rich,

That's B.B. King.

For cripes sake man you're talking like a man in his 60's.

John Smith

Easy Tiger.. BB King was awesome last year when I saw him...
What University Team will I swim on?
Or do I have to shop for 1970's Union Jack Speedo Briefs?

aquageek
August 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Easy Tiger.. BB King was awesome last year when I saw him...

That would be Tigger to you, Chrissy Robins.

And, like all your Euro brethren who can't play sports worth a flip to compete with the Americans, you can form a single unified EU team and compete under that hokey flag you've devised.

SwimStud
August 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
That would be Tigger to you, Chrissy Robins.

LOL I have not answer for that one...
...thanks Barb...

Paul Smith
August 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Just heard back from a bunch of ex-team mates at UCSB and they are all on board....our Alumni meet is the end of September so a beer supported stragey session is being planned to see if we can pull it off!

pdjang
August 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
When I swam in college, we would occasionally participate in all-relay meets - no individual glory events. Four persons to a relay - distances from 100 (25 per swimmer) to the 4000 - in combinations of gender and stroke. They were a lot of fun and I agree with some of the other participants of this thread that reviving college "pride" through competition could encourage sideline swimmers to "jump in".

One potential extention of the college/club relays is to hold a postal championship - pick some races, swim them during a period and mail in your results. Why don't we sponsor a Relay Postal Event? Do I hear a second?

BTW, one of the really exciting parts of college swimming was the "team cheer" - I'm looking forward to the Austin Relays to hear which team has the cleverest (and loudest) cheer.

See you in the water!
Philipp

jim clemmons
August 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM
One potential extention of the college/club relays is to hold a postal championship - pick some races, swim them during a period and mail in your results. Why don't we sponsor a Relay Postal Event? Do I hear a second? Philipp

I'll second that.

Maybe New Mexico would consider kicking it off by sponsoring the first event?

Sam Perry
August 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
When I swam in college, we would occasionally participate in all-relay meets - no individual glory events. Four persons to a relay - distances from 100 (25 per swimmer) to the 4000 - in combinations of gender and stroke. They were a lot of fun and I agree with some of the other participants of this thread that reviving college "pride" through competition could encourage sideline swimmers to "jump in".

One potential extention of the college/club relays is to hold a postal championship - pick some races, swim them during a period and mail in your results. Why don't we sponsor a Relay Postal Event? Do I hear a second?

BTW, one of the really exciting parts of college swimming was the "team cheer" - I'm looking forward to the Austin Relays to hear which team has the cleverest (and loudest) cheer.

See you in the water!
Philipp

A few years back 4 of us did a 4X1 Hour medley relay. Swim your stroke for an hour for distance. (yes we had a guy swim an hour of butterfly!)

I swam bacstroke (held about 1:11 per 100 for the hour). I think I went somewhere around 4,900 yards.

Our flier did not stop or break stroke the whole time, went in the range of 4,300 yards.

It was fun to shoot for, I think Phil Whitten even put our picture in Swim Magazine when it was the USMS publication.

scyfreestyler
August 24th, 2007, 09:13 PM
A few years back 4 of us did a 4X1 Hour medley relay. Swim your stroke for an hour for distance. (yes we had a guy swim an hour of butterfly!)

I swam bacstroke (held about 1:11 per 100 for the hour). I think I went somewhere around 4,900 yards.

Our flier did not stop or break stroke the whole time, went in the range of 4,300 yards.

It was fun to shoot for, I think Phil Whitten even put our picture in Swim Magazine when it was the USMS publication.
I thought these things were supposed to be fun? :drown:

Sam Perry
August 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I thought these things were supposed to be fun? :drown:

Good point. It was definitely fun when we finally finished.

gull
August 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I guess you guys would have been really pissed off if the freestyler had false started.

Sam Perry
August 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I guess you guys would have been really pissed off if the freestyler had false started.

HAHAHA, no doubt. Fortunately we all went at the same time and added up our results. Talk about boring, if I had to sit there and watch the other three legs finish their hour, don't think I would have bargained for it.

Paul Smith
August 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Sam...thats all in the past...time has come for you to throw down a 50 scm that lights the pool up....start, SDK's, turn, SDK and nail the finish big guy....somewhere in the 26 low range will be ideal...no pressure! :bouncing:

Sam Perry
August 26th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Sam...thats all in the past...time has come for you to throw down a 50 scm that lights the pool up....start, SDK's, turn, SDK and nail the finish big guy....somewhere in the 26 low range will be ideal...no pressure! :bouncing:

Amen brother! Swam 7000 today and finished with a :43 for a 75 SCY backstroke. I finally have something to train for which is the first in a long time. Doing La Jolla Rough Water swim in 2 weeks, so that aerobic base wil be nice. Will be ready for sprinting after that race. I hate being the weak link on this relay, but since I am I will be ready!!!!!!!

P.S. If I go 26 low (no pressure), you better be at least 23, fly or free.

Jeff Commings
August 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM
P.S. If I go 26 low (no pressure), you better be at least 23, fly or free.

In the words of Keanu Reeves: Whoa.

Sam Perry
August 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
In the words of Keanu Reeves: Whoa.

Must we bring out the Bill and Ted's quote? (BTW this was the best movie Keanu ever did)

david.margrave
August 28th, 2007, 01:28 AM
What if your university didn't have a swim team (or even a pool) when you went there, but has since added one?

TheGoodSmith
August 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
David,

The idea is to get a relay together of any shape or age. The "college relay" is just an example of getting people to come out of the wood work to drink beer together and get in shape.

John Smith

scyfreestyler
August 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM
David,

The idea is to get a relay together of any shape or age. The "college relay" is just an example of getting people to come out of the wood work to drink beer together and get in shape.

John Smith

I needed a good laugh this morning! :wave:

Peter Cruise
August 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
John, do you have any beer relay competitions planned?

gull
August 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I needed a good laugh this morning! :wave:

Are you implying that the two activities are somehow mutually exclusive?

scyfreestyler
August 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
No, not mutually exclusive (unless one drinks often and in excess). I always have some Guiness or Anchor Steam in the fridge. It just sounds comical to talk about getting in shape and drinking beer in the same sentence.

Maui Mike
August 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I participated a few times in an insane outrigger canoe race on Molokai called the Master Blaster. You gotta be over 40 and stupid to be eligible. Each guy on the six man crew chugs a 12oz beer, when all are done each crew rigs their canoe; this means tying on the iakos (outriggers) and the ama (the floaty thing that helps keep the canoe from huliing (flipping) Normally rigging for a race is a very precise routine and takes considerable time by very experienced people in order to get it just right. Not so at the Master Blaster, because once rigged, the boat is hurriedly launched for a six mile race up the coast interrupted every mile or so by going ashore to drink another beer. It's very competitive and huge quantities of aluminum cans (full of beer) are wagered on the outcome. The finish is at Kanakakai Harbor where a big luau, accompanied by, you guessed it, more beer drinking. The party is over when no one is left standing.

Slowswim
August 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Beer the new recovery drink...Its just not for breakfast anymore.:drink:

I did a 2 person 6 pack relay. There were two beers at the start, two beers at 1.5 miles, and 2 beers at the finish. You could apply any strategy you wanted. The way we did it I drank the first two and then ran straight to the finish. My partner ran to the second set and drank them and met me at the finish where we each had one.

The best charity race was the 10 meter dash for beer. I forget the charity, but the beer was free. Coincidence?
</IMG>