PDA

View Full Version : Time to Boycott

fastjack
August 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Is it time to boycott the 2008 Olympics???

I just read this article, I believe it is time http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/international_china_bridge_media_dc

No freedom there. I am using my ficticious name to report this. I do not want any unwanted visiters.

Rob Copeland
August 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Is it time to boycott the 2008 Olympics???No. I plan on being glued to my TV whenever swimming is on, it should be a great competition. But feel free to conduct your own personal boycott.

scyfreestyler
August 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The Olympics are the Olympics and it's about athletes competing against the best the world has to offer. China is a hell hole for sure but boycotting the Olympics will not change that.

Redbird Alum
August 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
No... there should be no boycott!

The boycot of the Russian Games a few years back proved that politicians were not athletes, and athletes were the losers. It did nothing to change the political or social environment for the average Soviet at the time.

However, the Games in Munich during Hitler's rise to power, while held in a hostile environment, managed to send a clear signal to the world about the then prevalent "superior race" mantra that was being espoused.

The Games should transcend politics and even social issues. They are one of the few arenas left in the world where such an opportunity exists. Otherwise, there would be no country on Earth that could sponsor them and expect widespread participation.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Back when students were rebelling in Beijing, I went & stood in front of the Chinese Embassy on Conn. Ave in DC. The government of China responded to the entire situation by making its citizens massive consumers.

Did anyone know that the man who was mainly responsible for the meat & pet food disaster was sentenced to death by the chinese government & hanged? some other man recently committed suicide over the toys with lead paint scandal. I wonder what woudl happen if a huge scandal occurred (I'm aure one will) about the construction of the arenas and other buildings for the Olympics. thousands of people are being removed from their homes. also some of the oldest neighborhoods in Beijing are being/have been torn down for new construction.

Slowswim
August 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Is this new to you?

I know our media says how great China is, but I thought everyone really knew the truth.

nyswimmer
August 17th, 2007, 06:16 PM
The IOC may have made a mistake awarding the games to Beijing. But the one thing we learned from our boycott in 1980 and the USSR's boycott in 1984 is that boycotts cause don't do anything to change government policies. The boycotts in the 80's only hurt the athletes and the IOC.

ALM
August 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM
However, the Games in Munich during Hitler's rise to power, while held in a hostile environment, managed to send a clear signal to the world about the then prevalent "superior race" mantra that was being espoused.

Hmm, I believe those Games were in Berlin...

And speaking of those Games, if you have never seen Leni Riefenstahl's 1938 documentary, Olympia, be sure to check it out. (Your local library my have it - mine does.) Riefenstahl was hired by Hitler to document the 1936 Games. She used revolutionary camera techniques that are still used in sports coverage today.

The final product, of course, is not quite what Hitler had hoped for... The look on his face as Jesse Owens wins yet another medal is priceless.

Anna Lea

A.K.
August 17th, 2007, 11:43 PM
.......But the one thing we learned from our boycott in 1980 and the USSR's boycott in 1984 is that boycotts cause don't do anything to change government policies. The boycotts in the 80's only hurt the athletes and the IOC.

Absolutely dead on!!

I had 2 good friends that were impacted by the boycotts.
Isn't the spirit of the Olympics supposed to be about breaking down the social, economical and Political barriers!

Are you going to Crush the dreams of age groupers that have worked their entire lives to competing in the Olympics.

Boycotts of the Olympics only help those with politically agendas. If anything wouldn't you want to have a unified world at the Olympics to help bring notice to injustices, wouldn't that be a better way to bring light to the discrepancy?

islandsox
August 22nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
If I ever were to boycott, it would be Jersey No. 7.

SwimStud
August 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
If I ever were to boycott, it would be Jersey No. 7.
Agreed. Vick is a disgrace.

No Boycott. The Moscow boycott made the USA look like spoilt kids...at least that how I remember it as a 10 year old (this is an honest expression of how my young mind thought it--not a barb to start a fight). Sports and arts are entertainment. Nothing sickens me more than millionaire athletes and artists getting an award and then beating a political gong. So it is the same when a governing body forces an athlete to be a tool for political statement.

Want to see change? Think globally and act locally.

knelson
August 24th, 2007, 01:52 AM
The boycot of the Russian Games a few years back

27 years ago is "a few years?" :)

FindingMyInnerFish
August 24th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Well, sure, compared to the age of the universe.... :)

As for a boycott.... China has a far from sterling reputation not only politically but also among some of its coaches who have reputedly fed athletes drugs (there was a story of their hiring the former East German swim coaches who then plied their ... uh ... vitamins to swimmers).... I wasn't too happy with the choice of Beijing for the Olympics for all these reasons.

That said, I tend to agree with the others that a boycott won't fix all this any more than it did in 1980 or 1984. But as noted, it will hurt the athletes who have worked a lifetime to make it to the Olympics.... there is not a large window for peaking for these games, and reaching that point only to be denied the opportunity to showcase all the hard work and training doesn't do anything to the country being boycotted, only to the athletes. In the non-"money" sports that don't get the attention and coverage, athletes often have to put a lot of their own money into training and preparing. The chance at an Olympic medal is at least some compensation for the vast expense of money and time these athletes have invested in excelling in their sports.

Just MHO.

Slowswim
August 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM

As for a boycott.... China has a far from sterling reputation not only politically but also among some of its coaches who have reputedly fed athletes drugs (there was a story of their hiring the former East German swim coaches who then plied their ... uh ... vitamins to swimmers).... I wasn't too happy with the choice of Beijing for the Olympics for all these reasons.

I remember the Chinese women's runners that set all those record one year. They all died within a few years of that. I memory serves it was mostly liver cancer. High price to pay for gold. But the government doesn't care. It was good PR for a while.

lefty
August 24th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Chinese culture is collectivist, US is individualistic. Societal problems in China occur because collectivism can be taken too far (for example, controlling the media in the name of doing what is good for the whole). Is the same true about the US? Are our greatest problems a result of our individualistic selfishness? I would argue yes, but at the same time would argue that rampant individualism is in no way ruining America. In fact I love America and I love my individualistic freedoms. I would not trade them, at least not many of them, to solve our societal problems because that is giving up what I love about being here.

As Americans we are rightfully sensitive about those who criticize us for our societal problems without acknowledgment of the other wonderful side. We view criticism with skepticism, and cast it off as sensationalism. In consideration of all this, while it is true that China needs to continue to make strides towards basic fairness, indiscriminately casting China as a "hell-hole" or whatever other choice word because their collectivist value system has its flaws is just wrong. That kind of sensationalism is exactly the same kind that gets Americans boiling.

Slowswim
August 24th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I'd argue the opposite. Our government is too controlling. Not only wouldn't I give any of my right, I want less government. The current congress is almost is single digit approval rating because they don't represent us and are too busy fight for their power to do the job.

Our country never works as well as when Congress is in recess.

Redbird Alum
August 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Some of us more mature swimmers still look at 27 years as "a few". Perspective, you know.

Back to the boycott thing... do you think some athletes may think twice about participation due to the intense smog?

swimr4life
August 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Our country never works as well as when Congress is in recess.

Ageed! Divided we fall.....Sorry. I just had to go there.

To link this statement to the Olympics......this is the only time when the WORLD UNITES.... supposedly putting politics aside. Don't mess with the Olympics.

MAC swimmer
August 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Never Boycott the Olympics again! The 1980 Olympic boycott was one of the biggest mistakes ever made in sports history. We used athletes to further a political end. It robbed hundreds of athletes of their ONE and ONLY chance to compete at an Olympic Games.

China's record of human rights is of course horrific, but sports should transcend politics, in my opinion.

If you want to boycott China, then don't buy anything from Walmart....

Slowswim
August 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Never Boycott the Olympics again! The 1980 Olympic boycott was one of the biggest mistakes ever made in sports history. We used athletes to further a political end. It robbed hundreds of athletes of their ONE and ONLY chance to compete at an Olympic Games.

I agree. I had a high school buddy who made the '80 team but didn't go and never did.

It also robbed the the politicians of the chance to raise the Stars and Strips in Moscow during the cold war.

The boycott was very shortsighted.

3strokes
August 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM
The ONLY winners resulting from a boycott is the boycotted Host Nation.
They get to win more medals than they would have otherwise, and more TV-podium time.
(Unless the boycotting nation is East Valakobamelavizololandia.)

Blackbeard's Peg
August 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Some of us may not have been alive then... ahem, cough...As for China, I think the IOC had very lofty hopes for China's progress when they awarded Beijing the '08 Games. In some ways, as we have seen in China's social and economic progress thus far this millenium, they've come a long way. In other ways, they still have a long way to go. By awarding China an olympics, I like to think the IOC helped pave the way for the building blocks of this change. This may have been the kick in the rear the country needs. Only time will tell.

knelson
August 26th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Back to the boycott thing... do you think some athletes may think twice about participation due to the intense smog?

I think they can handle the smog for a couple weeks.

I agree with 1980 boycott was a serious mistake. I wonder what Carter's feeling is today about deciding to boycott the Olympics?

smontanaro
August 26th, 2007, 07:37 AM

For swimmers it might not be too bad (relatively short races, the humid air of the aquatics center might filter out some of the crap), but I wouldn't want to do the marathon or the cycling road race in that heavy smog. I can remember how difficult it was to run moderate distances (< 10 miles) in Los Angeles when I was in college during the 70s.

Skip Montanaro

Allen Stark
August 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
It is my understanding that Beijing will stop all heavy industry and most automobiles during the games to decrease pollution. A boycott rarely makes the point one wishes to make.It seems to me China is headed in the right direction they just have a LONG way to go.

geochuck
August 31st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Boycott talk http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2007-06/Darfur-Crisis-Sparks-Louder-Calls-For-2008-Olympics-Boycott.cfm?CFID=123510977&CFTOKEN=63252179