PDA

View Full Version : I hate tapering!

The Fortress
August 17th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I've been attempting to do some reasonable 10 day-2 week taper for an upcoming meet. Perhaps this is unusual for a sprinter, but I've found I hate tapering. I'm not terribly good at sticking to a taper plan. I feel more unfit each passing day. I just want to get back to my usual workouts and cross training ...

On top of this general angst, a tri friend told me today that tapering makes you b*tchy. :bitching: I've read this in running books too. Seems somewhat true for me, unfortunately for my family.

Anyone else hate tapering or is it just me?!

Having said this, I'm sure I'll have fun at the meet.

JimRude
August 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM
... please don't take this the wrong way, and as I do not know your training regimen I should tread carefully, but...

Assuming you have an adequate aerobic base to taper FROM, you will have a short period when you feel crappy, and then you will feel progressively lighter and faster, hopefully peaking at the right time. :groovy:

The length of a taper will vary DRAMATICALLY from swimmer to swimmer. Back in the day, we had some guys who tapered as little as a week or two for a major competition, while others (like me!) would taper for 4-6 weeks.

Just my $0.02...

Good luck!

JennyS
August 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
"Anyone else hate tapering or is it just me?!"- The Fortress

I love tapering! You get to take it easy for awhile. You don't just get to, you have to! Maybe I'm just lazy? All that saved up energy will make you explode in your races. Good luck!

cowsvils
August 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree here, maybe thats because I don't do the speedwork workouts that you do, and do longer stuff. But come early February, I start marking off the da ys till tapering starts.

The Fortress
August 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM
... please don't take this the wrong way, and as I do not know your training regimen I should tread carefully, but...

Assuming you have an adequate aerobic base to taper FROM, you will have a short period when you feel crappy, and then you will feel progressively lighter and faster, hopefully peaking at the right time. :groovy:

Thanks! I don't do that much yardage. Last time I tried this, I think I peaked a couple days after the meet. :rofl: No big deal. I am actually feeling a bit "lighter" today, so I think that means I may hit my "peak" a couple days later again. Live and learn. Or embrace random.

:bouncing:

CreamPuff
August 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I went insane when I tapered 1.5 weeks for my meet in Orlando that was August 4 and 5. I think I even seemed to get a bit of hypochondria.

It was the first masters meet I tapered for - ever since I started masters in 2002.

I like working out for fitness and mental reasons and tapering really threw me mentally and physically. I kept some ounce of sanity b/c I have a very experienced NCAA Division I coach who knows what she's doing. She assured me I would feel "funny" and that I would NOT get out of shape in that time frame. I just opted to trust in her skill and my ability.

I felt terrible up until my race (and actually, it was good to get a first race under my belt.) I almost thought I was sick during my taper. But. . . did a 30.6 and 1:08.4 in the 50 and 100 flys. So, it was worth all the fuss. You will do GREAT!!! Trust in yourself and your training. Um. . . what are you thinking entering yourself in the 100 fly with a 1:40? Isn't your 50 around a 31? :rofl:

Even though I'm trying to turn distance, I'm still a sprinter like it or not.

Now that I/ we have a taper under our belts as adults, we know what to expect when the super big meets come around next year!

JUST DO IT!! You can go as fast as you think you can! I wrote down 30+ and 1:08 for my 50 and 100 and actually went those times. I should have written down faster numbers!

islandsox
August 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Well, I have always enjoyed tapering because I knew my swim meet outcome would be terrific! I never got B*chy, but I did feel very fatigued. I think a lot of the taper I also worried because I was afraid I would lose my conditioning, but thank goodness, I never did. I actually had an emergency taper before 95 Nationals and was totally out of the water for 10 full days. I was sweating bullets over that one but swam some of my best times.

There is no true taper designed for everyone cause we are so different with our yardage, age, etc. I am working now on actually building a taper plan for my 20 mile Utila swim in 13 months and will make adjustments to that plan early on.

Pent up energy, however, can make one "irritable" so that's the nature of this beast. Just you wait, though!!! What some good swims you will have!:cheerleader:

The Fortress
August 17th, 2007, 08:00 PM
what are you thinking entering yourself in the 100 fly with a 1:40? Isn't your 50 around a 31? :rofl:

Man, glad I'm not the only one!

I already confessed on another thread about shortening meets that I was sandbagging the 100 fly because the 50 free is the next event, Miss Hypochondria! I'm not going to swim it now anyway because my shoulder has been killing me for 2 weeks from the speedwork. I tried to tell Mr. Muppet Meet Director that, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I think you had a bit more yardage to taper from than me though, although I did swim more in July than usual.

Those fly times are VERY Wonder Woman. :cheerleader::cheerleader:

runner girl
August 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I hate tapering too. No workouts mean extra time to be nervous, and for me that leads to shoving junk food in my mouth. Stress eaters like me should wear duct tape over their mouths during a taper! Sometimes I can't take the whole taper anymore and just go do a real workout.

The Fortress
August 17th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I kept some ounce of sanity b/c I have a very experienced NCAA Division I coach who knows what she's doing. She assured me I would feel "funny" and that I would NOT get out of shape in that time frame. I just opted to trust in her skill and my ability.

My pool's been closed the entire month, so I'm on the Coach Ande/Coach Fortress plan. If I do really badly, I'll blame him. :thhbbb:

You are cracking me up, Runner Girl!! LOL.

aquageek
August 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM
On top of this general angst, a tri friend told me today that tapering makes you b*tchy. :bitching:

Have you been tapering for the last 6-9 months?

The Fortress
August 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Have you been tapering for the last 6-9 months?

No, but I thought you had. :thhbbb: And to think I just complimented your avatar!

scyfreestyler
August 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM
You'll do just fine. And like you said, in the off chance that things don't go as planned you can create a rip into Ande thread next week.

The Fortress
August 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM
You'll do just fine. And like you said, in the off chance that things don't go as planned you can create a rip into Ande thread next week.

:thhbbb: :duel:

I will only blame myself. I won't lose any sleep over it either. Besides, then I can go back to running and training!

meldyck
August 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Leslie,

I don't like tapering either. First of all, I'm addicted to my workout log and it is a big disruption. Big meets just crush my training program.

On top of that, there is the physiological effect. Two days after the start of taper, I feel GREAT - I can fly, leap tall buildings with a single bound, see through walls etc, etc. However, my times in the pool don't reflect that.

Than, about week out, the glycogen starts to build in the muscles. Glycogen carries with it AT LEAST (from what I can find out) an equal amount of water. So, you start to feel bloated and puffy and that relates to the out of shape feeling. On a typical two-week taper I will gain 5 pounds (mostly water)

But, at the end, the muscles are rested and have the explosive power you need to swim FAST.

I've tried one-week tapers and they just don't work for me although my wife thrives on them. For me, it's two-three weeks to get it right. When it's right you really sail in the water!

Sam Perry
August 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
It takes guts to taper.

Paul Smith
August 17th, 2007, 10:26 PM
It takes guts to taper.

Here, here!

And faith!

Just like "training".....we advance not of the minimal amount of time we put into "max" efforts.....but on our recovery/healing.

The single biggest area of misunderstanding and opportunity I see for most masters swimmers is learning to truly understand/respect the importance of rest days and cycling their training (which includes tapering and time off).

poolraat
August 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I've tapered for 3 meets since I started competing 4 or 5 years ago (i've only been swimming for a little more than 7 years). Two of those meets I swam (lifetime) best times or 2nd best times in every event. The other meet the taper was junked by my pool closing due to mechanical problems right in the middle of the taper. I still swam okay in the meet but not my best. I noticed that I go through stages of feeling like crap to feeling good in cycles throughout the 2-3 weeks prior to the meet. Even in the warmup before the 1st day of the meet I felt slow & heavy but then swam better than I had ever done before.

Ian Smith
August 17th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I was sandbagging the 100 fly because the 50 free is the next event:

Ande’s Tip 26 on tapering has a lot of good stuff – especially “trust your taper”. As a sprinter, you should be totally rested and climbing the wall at meet time - really ready to race.

If you are going for a top-ten 50 time, don’t blame your taper for a slower than expected 50 if you do a 100 fly first (the event before!!??!).

Meet planning might allow for a 50 fly before the 50 free with enough time between. In fact, a 50 fly can get rid of any cobwebs and benefit your 50 free. A 100 fly beforehand will take the edge off your 50.

But if it’s just a fun meet, just have fun, pizza & beer and don’t worry about tapers or times.

Good luck either way,
Ian.

The Fortress
August 17th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Ande’s Tip 26 on tapering has a lot of good stuff – especially “trust your taper”. As a sprinter, you should be totally rested and climbing the wall at meet time - really ready to race.

If you are going for a top-ten 50 time, don’t blame your taper for a slower than expected 50 if you do a 100 fly first (the event before!!??!).

Meet planning might allow for a 50 fly before the 50 free with enough time between. In fact, a 50 fly can get rid of any cobwebs and benefit your 50 free. A 100 fly beforehand will take the edge off your 50.

But if it’s just a fun meet, just have fun, pizza & beer and don’t worry about tapers or times.

Good luck either way,
Ian.

Thanks Ian. I'm not swimming the 100 fly now. But, as you suggest, I am swimming a 50 fly first in a relay. Also a 50 back. Plenty of rest inbetween. I definitely swim better when I "get rid of the cobwebs" as you suggest. Not sure if I rested enough, not quite climbing the wall yet, but I'll give it a whirl! For me, meets are mostly for fun, but I'd still prefer to swim fast. I won't do another taper for a long time -- because I hate tapering.

knelson
August 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I enjoy tapering, but I think it's almost inevitable thoughts of "am I resting too much?" will creep into your head. You've just got to stick with it. As Ande said "trust your taper."

swimshark
August 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Except for the practice before the meet, I don't like tapering either. I hate sitting on the walls watching the clock. But I'm like that when I do any practice. There are times when we do 100's on th 1:50 and go all out. I am far froma sprinter. I can do all out on a 1:30. Those extra 20 seconds get to me so much.

Fort, we'll see if your taper has worked today.

Alison

coachchris
August 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Fort:

The shoulder pain as a result of the speed work concerns me a bit. Are you making adjustments to your stroke as a result of the speed work that would contribute to the shoulder pain?

If that's the case, it's no wonder you don't like to taper. Don't forget that increased speed work should be accompanied by increased recovery time. In many cases, I have observed that the recovery aspect of the taper is as or more important than the speed work that you might get done. Focusing on the recovery aspect might help keep the shoulder discomfort to a minimum as well.

Make sure to let us know how the meet goes.

The Fortress
August 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Fort:

The shoulder pain as a result of the speed work concerns me a bit. Are you making adjustments to your stroke as a result of the speed work that would contribute to the shoulder pain?

If that's the case, it's no wonder you don't like to taper. Don't forget that increased speed work should be accompanied by increased recovery time. In many cases, I have observed that the recovery aspect of the taper is as or more important than the speed work that you might get done. Focusing on the recovery aspect might help keep the shoulder discomfort to a minimum as well.

Make sure to let us know how the meet goes.

Nah, I didn't get shoulder pain last time I did speedwork. I think it was the combo of getting a bunch of prolo injections and then heading right into speedwork. Probably should have had the injections sooner. Generally, my shoulder is very gradually improving as long as I keep doing my exercises.

I'm sure the meet will be fine. I was really just saying I don't enjoy the taper process because I'd rather work out. I dislike rest days and recovery, and, for that reason, probably don't get enough of them as Paul was pointing out too. You experts ...

FindingMyInnerFish
August 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Taper = PMS

Or.... Pre-Meet Syndrome ... But very similar symptoms, I think, to the other kind of PMS... Men, bear this in mind, and you'll have much more sympathy with the women in your life. :D

I have mixed feelings about tapers for running/swimming events. On the one hand, my body's ready for the break... on the other, :mad: grrrr... I want to MOVE!!! But when I do, I think, "aggh... way, way too sluggish!" Did a mile/2000 yard swim a couple days before my 5-miler just easy, but thought, "why is my easy pace so SLOW today?" But I reminded myself that it wasn't race day yet, and my body would respond when the time was right--and it did.

You'll do awesome!

fastjack
August 18th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Prolo Injections do they work??? http://totalhealthvision.com/ http://totalhealthvision.com/wst_page4.html

Prolo Injections are being used for autisim clients also.

I am on a taper at all times.

Ian Smith
August 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
not quite climbing the wall yet,.

Just starting a thread called "I hate tapering!" is probably a good sign that your taper is working.

Always taper for good times......
Ian.

The Fortress
August 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Just starting a thread called "I hate tapering!" is probably a good sign that your taper is working.

Always taper for good times......
Ian.

Good point. LOL.

It appears to have worked pretty well on day one since I swam PBs.

swimshark
August 19th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Good point. LOL.

Fort was rocking yesterday!

Alison

scwids
August 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hey Taper-Haters!
I too will be starting a 3 week taper on Wednesday after my "long" swim (1.5 miles). I've done some half-a**ed tapers in the past, but I'm actully trying to stick to a planned one this time for my 1.4 miler on Sept 8. I am fairly new to tapering, and I know the mantra tends to be keep up the intensity but shorten the mileage and increase the interval between workouts to reduce volume. How strict should I be when resting? Can I hop on an exercise bike for 30 minutes to keep from going totally bonkers, or should I be joining Fort in b**tchy land? :D Thanks!!

FindingMyInnerFish
August 20th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Good point. LOL.

Way to go! Congrats on the PB's!! :cheerleader: :groovy:

imspoiled
August 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
For 10 days prior to Nationals we had to listen to our coach give a speach that included things like "taper is not an exact science," and "better to be one day too rested than one day not rested enough". If hearing that every day doesn't make someone b*tchy, I don't know what would.

BTW Fortress-taper or not, injured or not, sick or not--you're FREAKING FAST!

Mel- thanks for posting on the weight gain/bloated feeling you noted during tapers. The scale has not been my friend the past few weeks, even though I was very careful to eat smarter and watch portion sizes due to the decreased yardage. It's good to hear that this may be a normal reaction to the taper.

Dana

SwimStud
August 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Good point. LOL.

Are you sure it's not the prolo jabs.. your guns looked pretty ripped....:dedhorse:

The Fortress
August 20th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Taper-Haters!
I too will be starting a 3 week taper on Wednesday after my "long" swim (1.5 miles). I've done some half-a**ed tapers in the past, but I'm actully trying to stick to a planned one this time for my 1.4 miler on Sept 8. I am fairly new to tapering, and I know the mantra tends to be keep up the intensity but shorten the mileage and increase the interval between workouts to reduce volume. How strict should I be when resting? Can I hop on an exercise bike for 30 minutes to keep from going totally bonkers, or should I be joining Fort in b**tchy land? :D Thanks!!

No biking, if you're serious! Otherwise it will be half-a**ed. You'll just have to put up with the b*tchies. They'll go away quickly when you swim fast.

Stud:

Prolo jabs are to the shoulder, not the guns. You're just jealous because you never lift weights!

Thanks Dana! I'm a fan of July and August meets. I can breathe during those months. Plus, I love the muppets' pool. And, uh, you're pretty fast yourself. Two big meets in two weekends with a slew of PBs. Very impressive!

SwimStud
August 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Stud:

Prolo jabs are to the shoulder, not the guns. You're just jealous because you never lift weights!

I don't need to with my guns!! Mine are all naturally and cown mouldingly induced...
:drink:

Slowswim
August 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I've been:Lurking:, but enjoying this thread.

How long do you typically taper? For a 70.3 mile race (1.2 mile swim), I may taper 2 weeks and only one week of swimming. For the usual Olympic Distance of 46.2 miles (1500M), I taper a week of Running and biking, the swimming may take a day off.
:confused:

I may not be tapering enough, but my old swim coach said that in Tri's (which is anywhere from 800m to 1.2 miles) you don't taper.

Am I doing it wrong?

ande
August 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM
your meets done you can start training again
get back to work
BUT keep up the sprint and strength focus

ande

I've been attempting to do some reasonable 10 day-2 week taper for an upcoming meet. Perhaps this is unusual for a sprinter, but I've found I hate tapering. I'm not terribly good at sticking to a taper plan. I feel more unfit each passing day. I just want to get back to my usual workouts and cross training ...

On top of this general angst, a tri friend told me today that tapering makes you b*tchy. :bitching: I've read this in running books too. Seems somewhat true for me, unfortunately for my family.

Anyone else hate tapering or is it just me?!

Having said this, I'm sure I'll have fun at the meet.

aztimm
August 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I hate tapering also, but I found an easy solution....if you don't do meets, there's no need to taper. ;)

The longest I tapered was 1-1/2 weeks for SCY Nationals when my team hosted a few years back, and it was way too long. For the typical state meets, I usually just taper 3-5 days to get the best results.

Allen Stark
August 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
The problem I have with tapering is that it's before big meets. I start to get jumpy about when psych sheets come out and then I have all this extra energy as well as getting paranoid about hurting myself or getting sick.Throw in that the second week I feel loggy and my splits are never where I want them to be and a good time is had by all(just ask my wife.)

scwids
August 21st, 2007, 01:48 PM
This thread has been great - I really appreciate all the good advice and will feel MUCH better going into my taper knowing I will be crabby and have some temporary osmotic weight gain. I'm sure my husband will also be perfectly understanding as well....hah!

My long swim today went great from an endurance standpoint - I am still a real SLOW-n-steady, but it was nice to know that my 200 splits were all within 5 seconds of each other right up until the end, and I got out of the pool feeling tired but quite good and still having some energy. Which makes me think about what FMIF said - I can't help but wonder if I feel ok getting out at 1.5 miles, how much further COULD I go? :wiggle:

indyswimbag
August 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
I am with you!!

I hate to taper....partially because I have never hit a true taper..except for one time in 2005...when it was on it was really:cheerleader: BUT when you miss it is really:doh:.... I am a distance person that pretends to do the IM/breast and I have found that if I taper for more than 2 weeks I usually have a great practice about 8th day and then am a little flat around meet time.

I am open for any tips... I practice about 4x aweek and average about 5000-6000 yds. I know what you mean I get really antsy and quite B*itchy...also a little bloated feeling...good to know about the weight gain.

Anyway this is a rather disjointed post but I wanted to say that when the taper works it is like the swimming gods are smiling but when it is off it is:censor:

ensignada
August 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
This thread has been great - I really appreciate all the good advice and will feel MUCH better going into my taper knowing I will be crabby and have some temporary osmotic weight gain. I'm sure my husband will also be perfectly understanding as well....hah!

My long swim today went great from an endurance standpoint - I am still a real SLOW-n-steady, but it was nice to know that my 200 splits were all within 5 seconds of each other right up until the end, and I got out of the pool feeling tired but quite good and still having some energy. Which makes me think about what FMIF said - I can't help but wonder if I feel ok getting out at 1.5 miles, how much further COULD I go? :wiggle:

This is dangerous thinking, scwids. Just look up some of Islandsox's posts and see where it could lead... (she's doing a 20-miler later this winter)

FindingMyInnerFish
August 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
This is dangerous thinking, scwids. Just look up some of Islandsox's posts and see where it could lead... (she's doing a 20-miler later this winter)

Heh! After a mile of chop at the end of my swim and telling myself "never again," I find myself looking up more long swims on the internet to consider. Talk me down, somebody! :eek:

But at least for the near future, I don't see a 20-miler for me. After my five-miler, I was so happy to see land.... But I also remember telling myself I'd never run a marathon... and have since run seven. In lots of ways, long swims don't jar my body the way long runs have. And last night's group interval workout (running) went better than these workouts have for a while which I think was due to a few easy weeks and the Big Swim training. My inner fish is laughing. ;)

scwids
August 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Holy mackerel, Batman! 20 miles!?!?!? :bolt: That's unbelievable! I'm just trying to get to a place where mentally and physically I can tackle the 4.4 mile Chesapeake Bay Swim!! (The added pleasure of swimming through diesel makes it a particularly attractive event...)

I also just realized that I will be on a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas just as my taper is coming into the homestretch. While it will be easy to lie out in the sun, it will be REALLY HARD to resist signing up for the 6 hour kayak around Freeport (rated "strenous" for activity!) Arrgggghhhh!!!:frustrated:

Paul Smith
August 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
whoops....

scwids
August 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM
So I am having the wierdest tapering experience ever. I am in my taper with about a week and a half to go before my 1.4 mile OW event. Thanks to my fellow taper-haters wonderful advice, the fact that I have felt like a slow bloated slug has not been a surprise. :D

What was very strange was that I got in the pool today to do some sprint and interval work, and right away I notice that I have settled into a 4 beat kick. Which wouldn't be so wierd execept that up until now, my kick has been HORRENDOUS. I couldn't even call it a 6 beat kick - it was more like a 6-and-a-half beat kick since I had this wierd little stutter that kept sneaking in there. So today suddenly I'm swimming with a comfortable 4 beat kick. I feel like a slug, but I also notice the pool lane below me seems to be moving by just a little faster.

So I said what the heck, and timed a 200 split - swam it comfortably and just concentrated on keeping the kick timed with my strokes. I knocked 12 SECONDS off my average 200 split time!!! Obviously, my heart rate was lower too.

Normally I'd be psyched to have a breakthrough like this! Certainly, the time away from the pool during my taper has led to some subconscious processing of how I swim. The only thing that concerns me is that I am less than 2 weeks away from my OW event, and it seems a bizarre time to suddenly change up my form.

Anyone have an experience like this before? :confused:

Slowswim
September 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM
This tapering is driving me nuts! My race is Saturday. I took last Saturday through Tuesday off. Swam a little today (2 timed 300s, 4 all out 25s, a couple of drills and warm up/down). Its only 600M OW. Should I just chill or should I at least get in the water and keep the shoulders loose?

geochuck
September 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Should we really taper if we swim less than 4000m a day. I don't think so. There are very few that workout more than 4000m.

Now if we do 10,000m a day I may understand that we could Taper.

The Fortress
September 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Should we really taper if we swim less than 4000m a day. I don't think so. There are very few than workout more than that.

Now if we do 10,000m a day I may understand that we could Taper.

I dunno, George. I never do more than 4000 meters in a single swim workout. But I also cross train. My 10-14 day swim "taper" + eliminating cross training seemed to work reasonably well for me. Recovery and tapering seems to be especially important for masters and/or sprinters.

I don't think it matters that much, Bill, for your triathlon. I assume you'll do some biking and running before Saturday? If it's only a 600 OW swim, you probably don't need to swim. On the other hand, getting in and doing some easy swimming does keep your shoulders loose.

Just don't be doing this :bitching: to the wife while you're going crazy!

aquaFeisty
September 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Gotta disagree... Everyone should absolutely taper!!! Last season, I swam 3x/week for weekly yardage totals max'ing out at just under 10,000 yards and I benefited hugely from the taper. Granted, it was a short taper (about 9-10 days or so) but it's not like I had a lot to taper from! The taper sharpens you and makes the last 12 1/2 yards of the hundred much quicker, though they still might hurt as much.

Actually, I seem to benefit a lot more from a taper now than I did when I was in high school and swimming 6 days/week. It could be that my background level of exhaustion is just higher and I really need the rest or it could be that I don't slack as much as I used to during the regular training season. Probably a combo of both...

geochuck
September 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM
If you are are doing less than 4000m you are barely in condition. Would you consinder it tapering by taking two days before a race and just swimming a few easy lengths and a few sprints, just to keep loose. That is all I ever did but I was averaging less than a 1000 m a day until I became a marathon swimmer.

islandsox
September 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Well, I feel like I am in a taper because when I was in Roatan, I was swimming 6 days a week; averaging 4 to 7 miles on all those swims. Now that I am back in the DFW area, I swim in a lake 2 nights a week and only about 1,000 yds due to time constraints (gets dark). But Sundays I do 4 miles plus with a kayaker. The indoor pools here are over 90 degrees so those are off-limits. So, not swimming but 3 times a week is AWFUL! And, I probably am tapering and I certainly DO NOT LIKE IT.

aquaFeisty
September 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM
If you are are doing less than 4000m you are barely in condition. Would you consinder it tapering by taking two days before a race and just swimming a few easy lengths and a few sprints, just to keep loose. That is all I ever did but I was averaging less than a 1000 m a day until I became a marathon swimmer.

Nope, wouldn't call that a taper, but I am not a naturally talented swimmer like you either. I know that a taper helps me, even with my low yardage. I'm certainly not recommending people only swim 3x/week and then taper. In fact, the goal this season is a whopping 4x/week. Woohoo!

Hang in there, Donna! I wouldn't want to swim in indoor 90+ degree pools either. Blech.

geochuck
September 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Well, I feel like I am in a taper because when I was in Roatan, I was swimming 6 days a week; averaging 4 to 7 miles on all those swims. Now that I am back in the DFW area, I swim in a lake 2 nights a week and only about 1,000 yds due to time constraints (gets dark). But Sundays I do 4 miles plus with a kayaker. The indoor pools here are over 90 degrees so those are off-limits. So, not swimming but 3 times a week is AWFUL! And, I probably am tapering and I certainly DO NOT LIKE IT.
I can't wait to get to Mexico the pool is always 90+ the pool is only 20 yards long but I swim lots of 100s. I will be adding flip turns now that my knees are starting to work.

The Fortress
September 5th, 2007, 05:52 PM
If you are are doing less than 4000m you are barely in condition.

I resemble that remark! :mooning: :thhbbb:

scwids
September 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I resemble that remark! :mooning: :thhbbb:

Me too Me too!!

So glad I have been keeping up with this forum - today I did my final swim before my OW event on Saturday, and it was AWFUL! I was SOOOO SLOW and it felt bad. Very bonky. But I am just going to listen to all the good advice I have been getting about feeling lousy at the end of your taper and hope that Saturday goes well! If not, I'm sure you will hear me griping all the way from Ptown... :bitching:

Allen Stark
September 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I heard a lecture by Dick Costill in which he said his studies showed a taper benefits you even if you are swimming 1500 yd 3X per wk. I need a 3 week taper for optimum speed. I have read men need a longer taper than women and that sprinters and breaststrokers need a longer taper than distance swimmers.

Slowswim
September 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Just don't be doing this :bitching: to the wife while you're going crazy!

I train 6 days a week with double workout. I've taken off completely! I swam a little yesterday and will spin a couple of miles today. It driving me nuts!:sad:

Fort:

Too late, but at work. I should go apologize.:bow:

</IMG>

MAC swimmer
September 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
A 9-10 day taper at the masters level? Swimming between 10-12K per week means that I rest completely one day and do very light exercises on the two days before the meet just to keep muscle enzymes up. 9-10 day measn that I might lose 50% of my fitness!

The Fortress
November 29th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I've started another one. I'm already dreading it. I still hate to taper, even though it seemed to work decently well last August. I'm beat up from a lot of speedwork, so I'm going to cut back more this time and stay >2000 with easy swimming, drills and only a few sprints. I should be climbing the walls soon ... or rolling down the hallway from the weight gain. :lmao:

Paul Smith
November 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
A 9-10 day taper at the masters level? Swimming between 10-12K per week means that I rest completely one day and do very light exercises on the two days before the meet just to keep muscle enzymes up. 9-10 day measn that I might lose 50% of my fitness!

MAC....sorry but that is simply not the way it works for most when you have trained 4-6 months for ameet you don't lose it by resting. Age becomes an incredible factor for us masters and for those of us who do train at the volume you mention a true taper is actually 3 weeks.

No "taper" means different things to different people but in general it would be no reduction in volume 3 weeks out but shifting to higher quality swims with more rest...for some of us (me) I stop weights here as well, two weeks out again mileage is about the same but even longer rest intervals with lots of drill work, turn work, light pulling, etc. one week out its usually get in until I feel good, swim a couple of 200 pace 50's, some variable speed 25's and a longer warm down....this works for me swimming anything up to the 500.

Fort...please buy your husband a plane ticket and send him out to hang with the guys till the taper is over!

Slowswim
November 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Fort...please buy your husband a plane ticket and send him out to hang with the guys till the taper is over!

You should probably include the kids too.:thhbbb: