PDA

View Full Version : My speed... MIA... What gives?

FindingMyInnerFish
August 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hi all from sweltering Philly--

So I planned today just to swim a mile (or more if time allowed... kind of a hectic weekend), just for the distance, w/ maybe some hard laps thrown in... And since I was otherwise swimming easy, and since I've never been Ms. Speedy in any case, I wasn't looking for Olympic contention or any such (heh!), but I'd made some improvements in my speed during my training for the five mile swim, and I was pretty happy with a set of ten 50s I did on Wednesday, which were a little on the fast side for me. But this morning, I was swimming about fifteen to twenty seconds slower per 200 than I'd been going. And it took more effort to get my times down to the range that had been comfortable even early this week.

I'm a bit puzzled by this, as I don't think my form/technique has changed any recently.

The weather suddenly heated up during the weekend, so maybe that contributed.... But it was a little alarming because I am planning a mile open water swim in September, and I don't want the needle to go back down to "total newbie" from "distance chick." ;)

If anyone happens to see my speed wandering around somewhere, can you please tell it to phone home? And/or will appreciate any tips on how to lure it back to me.

Thanks!

dorothyrde
August 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM
If the pool temperature went up because of the air temp, that could be a factor. Also, don't discount how much affect the higher air temp has too. It tends to sap the body of energy. The other thing to remember is our bodies are not machines that day in and day out perform the same. You can be affected by how you have slept, what you have eaten, if you are a woman, hormones are a biggy in affecting how you perform. I would worry that this one swim is an indicator on how you will swim in September. And off day is just an off day. We all have them.

FindingMyInnerFish
August 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Dorothy... good to have the reality check! And good point about the warmer weather. I know it affects my running, so I don't worry too much, but I hadn't thought how much it can affect swimming. And my Y does tend to cater to those who prefer warmer water. I'm usually fine with the water temp, kind of used to it, but add a few more variables, and the energy starts fading.

dorothyrde
August 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah, just living in the kind of heat we have had lately can take away the energy. Today was low humidity, around 45% and only in the low 80's and it was so wonderful! I made the family go out hiking with me!