PDA

View Full Version : World Record in Practice

ande
August 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
The other day at practice a swimmer told me
a swimming story that he said Eddie Reese told him.

He said in the early 60's Donna De Varona her coach were talking about womens swim suits and how much drag they had. She told her coach that she felt she could break the world record in a swimming event in practice if she didn't have to wear a swim suit.

So they held a special closed practice at an odd time,
she got up on the blocks in her birthday suit,
swam her race and broke the world record time in practice.

I haven't had a chance to ask Eddie about this
so I don't know if there's any truth to it

Has anyone heard this story?

scyfreestyler
August 29th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Never heard the story but it sounds rather interesting. Keep us posted.

JimRude
August 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM
... I have a story that is almost as good, if not as fast...

In 1985, I believe, we went to the Dallas Morning News Invitational. The night before the meet, when the pool was deserted (except for a few of us), Alan Gresham, a Cal teammate and water polo player, bet someone he could swim a sub :20 second 50 yd free - naked. :mooning:

He won the bet.

jim clemmons
August 29th, 2007, 05:58 PM
So they held a special closed practice at an odd time,
she got up on the blocks in her birthday suit, swam her race and broke the world record time in practice.

What? :dunno: No pictures to document the alleged feat?

Jeff Commings
August 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Of all the stories Eddie told, that's one I've never heard.

RuffWater
August 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM
My favorite Eddie story is......

Many years ago, while he and his brother were diving off the coast of Florida, Eddie saw a shark swimming towards him. He had heard that if you faced the shark directly, it would stop its approach. So, Eddie squared up to the shark, and, sure enough, it stopped coming towards him. But then to his left, he saw another shark swimming towards him. So he turned his body to the left, squared up to the second shark and it stopped swimming towards him. But now the first shark starts up again in Eddie's direction, so he has to turn to his right and face it. Shark #1 stops, but shark #2 starts coming again. Eddie turns to his left again. This continues, but the sharks are slowly getting closer and closer. Eddie does all he can turning to his left and back to his right and back to his left again. But the sharks are getting closer and closer and closer. Finally..... one of the sharks eats Eddie.

Note: In Eddie's absense, this story was originally told by Kris Kubic.

scyfreestyler
August 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM
My favorite Eddie story is......

Many years ago, while he and his brother were diving off the coast of Florida, Eddie saw a shark swimming towards him. He had heard that if you faced the shark directly, it would stop its approach. So, Eddie squared up to the shark, and, sure enough, it stopped coming towards him. But then to his left, he saw another shark swimming towards him. So he turned his body to the left, squared up to the second shark and it stopped swimming towards him. But now the first shark starts up again in Eddie's direction, so he has to turn to his right and face it. Shark #1 stops, but shark #2 starts coming again. Eddie turns to his left again. This continues, but the sharks are slowly getting closer and closer. Eddie does all he can turning to his left and back to his right and back to his left again. But the sharks are getting closer and closer and closer. Finally..... one of the sharks eats Eddie.

Note: In Eddie's absense, this story was originally told by Kris Kubic.

Do you have any band camp stories to share with us as well?