PDA

View Full Version : double workouts

david.margrave
August 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
How many of you masters swimmers or triatheletes swim more than once a day? I tried it a couple weeks ago and it took the wind out of my sails for about 24 hours. Maybe this is something best left to the youngsters.

Jeff Commings
August 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I've done it for the past three swim seasons. With the added pressure of a full-time job, doubles do wear you out. But I didn't do it every day -- just twice a week.

If you get plenty of rest and eat well, your body will thank you at taper time.

geochuck
August 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
When I was 30 years old I did 2 - 2hr workouts a day 2 times a week the other workouts were 1, 2 and 3 hr workouts. I always took 1 day off a week which happened to be Sunday.

Now I am lucky to do 3 or 4 hrs a week.

knelson
August 30th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I just did a double last Friday. As far as I can remember that's the first time I've done it in my masters career.

I had intended to swim Thursday, but didn't, so figured I could get in a quick workout at noon on Friday then a full workout in the evening. I swam for 30 minutes at noon and got in 2,000 yards. Nothing real intense. When I got in for my regular workout later in the day I was exhausted. I didn't think it would be that bad. Maybe it was just a bad day. Anyway, I did get in more than 7,000 yards for the day, but it definitely hurt.

So my experience with doubles hasn't been good. However, I probably shouldn't judge based on one day only.

The Fortress
August 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I never do swimming doubles .. would kill the shoulders. Did enough of that when I was young anyway. But sometimes I'll "double" with a swim and run or a swim and weights/drylands. Not every day though, and it's easier to double if I'm not working out with my team.

Donna
August 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I have been doing doubles off and on last winter, but it did aggrevate my shoulders at that time. I cut it out during the spring and especially as Nationals approached. Then at the end of June I started up again but I did an easy morning workout (hot pool) and a killer workout in the evenings. This made it easy to get used to again.

Now that Nationals is over I am back to doubles and have no problems with shoulders. My new coach is helping me to fix the issues in my stroke that caused the shoulder problems and it is working great for me.

I am averaging 7000-8000 a day for the last 2 weeks and I feel great some days and sluggish others. On the sluggish days we focus on my weeknesses like my kick or lack there of, or on stroke work (which needs alot of help still).

Doing doubles also help me to control my appetite especially at night. This past week I have lost 4 pounds. Now I am trying to stablize my weight for a week or two before pulling off some more weight. Only 16 more pounds to my goal by next nationals. :party2: I should make it to 150. Mind you I was 220 lbs. only 3 years ago.

blainesapprentice
August 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Donna--your awesome:-)

Slowswim
August 31st, 2007, 08:53 AM
I did one this morning (Sorta). I warmed up, swam a hard 2000, then rode 20 miles on my bike, and then back in the pool for a hard 1000 and warm down.

I need a nap or a lot of :coffee:!

aztimm
August 31st, 2007, 03:39 PM
I've done doubles a few times, even just last month. A few times it was because I was planning to run after work in the evening, but didn't want the heat to kill me, so swam another workout instead. If I can, I'll plan to do my usual distance in the morning, then the sprint set in the evening.

The evening sets haven't hurt me as much as the following morning. One week I did doubles on Tues/Thurs, and that Fri morning I almost didn't workout, I was very sore. Combined with runs 2-3x week and lifting 2-3x a week, it sometimes doesn't give my body enough rest.

Since I usually only swim an hour a day, 5x week, doing a double gives me a chance to work on drills, stroke mechanics, sprinting, etc. For some reason I feel guilty if I don't get in some distance every week.

talne621
August 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
during the summer i swim double workouts every day. during the year i only have time for 1 workout a day, but sometimes i can fit a 2nd workout. i tried to fit my class schedule around my teams practice schedule as best as i could.

rtodd
August 31st, 2007, 08:32 PM
I do doubles a fair amount. Luchtime and then after work. The second workout many times feels better.

CreamPuff
September 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I confess. I'm trying doubles a couple of times a week with the kids.

I have to say - I am loving it so far. I love those kids! They are a blast to swim with not to mention very friendly and encouraging. Since they are just getting back into the season, we're only doing about 2500 to 3000 now. Perfect for an oldie like me. They won my heart when several asked what grade I was in. Hello! I feel 15 again! :woot:

poolraat
September 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
They won my heart when several asked what grade I was in. Hello! I feel 15 again! :woot:

That's too funny. I am also planning on doing 1-2 workouts a week with the age group team here. They probably won't be asking what grade I'm in though. The bad thing is that I'll be in the same lane as my teen-age son and his friends. I'll have to work my tail off to keep up with them. And the coach probably won't cut me any slack either. She's a mean one.
(LOL it's my wife)

CreamPuff
September 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
That's too funny. I am also planning on doing 1-2 workouts a week with the age group team here. They probably won't be asking what grade I'm in though. The bad thing is that I'll be in the same lane as my teen-age son and his friends. I'll have to work my tail off to keep up with them. And the coach probably won't cut me any slack either. She's a mean one.
(LOL it's my wife)

Good luck poolraat on your endeavor!! Keep us posted and let us know how it goes! Your wife is your coach?! You've got some guts to have her coach you. :lmao: I don't think I could ever handle my husband coaching me. The most coaching I get from him is, "GO!" and "RACE!" That's enough for me.

Dominick Aielloeaver
September 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Donna. My shoulders hurt just thinking of you doing all that swimming. With that kind of swimming, you can achive your goal of losing your weight.
But at any rate ,that is some great swimming. DOM in AZ.

indyswimbag
September 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I tried doing doubles for awhile but since I work crazy shifts I decided that I would just do 6000yd practices on my days off. On days that I work I usually hit the exercise bike and do light weights.

If I had the energy I would do a few now and again...but for now just getting to a pool 4x a week is enough of a challenge.

poolraat
September 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Your wife is your coach?! You've got some guts to have her coach you. :lmao: I don't think I could ever handle my husband coaching me.

I know exactly what you mean, but she's the only game in town. I'm sure she is just as thrilled about it as I am. Now she'll have both the smart-a** son and husband to deal with. LOL

Donna
September 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Dominick,

I really have to push myself hard in practice to get the weightloss where I want. You see I LOVE FOOD! Me and ice cream and pasteries and chocolate, like eachother so much. If you look at what I eat you would have to wonder why I can lose weight at all.

Today my morning swim was 5x500 @ 8:00 with paddles, my last one was in a best time for me of 6:40. My afternoon swim was alot of sprints at race pace like 8x50 @ 1:30 fast, followed by 8x50 @ :45 survival, then 8x50 @ 1:15 every other fast. We also did a 200 for time and I was 4 seconds off my best time from a push.

My coach believes in lots of paddle work and he has corrected my stroke so my shoulders don't hurt. I now use more of my back muscles when swimming. He has also corrected my Fly thru the use of paddles.

The other thing that is really helping is my coach forces me to kick. I was a horrible kicker but am getting better. I can now do a 25 in :22. When I started they were in :35. I am still building up to the 50's which are right around 1:05 for me.

Todays total yardage was 7700 which is normal range for me.

As for the diet portion: In the morning before practice I might have a Boost Chocolate Shake or a pastery of some sort. After practice is protein shake time. At 9:30 or 10am its time for cheese and crackers. Lunch is a free for all at some restraunt. Every afternoon at 2:30pm is Chocolate time. In the evening after practice I might have some ice cream after a small dinner or sometimes I do skip dinner if I am not hungery. The key to keeping your metabolism up is to eat 6 meals a day and work out hard. That is the key.

If I swim slow and easy most of the workout I don't tend to loose weight.

osterber
September 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I consider it a "double" if I get to workout two days in a row.

-Rick