PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone working on this SCY season?

The Fortress
August 31st, 2007, 11:33 AM
Just wondering what folks are working on in their training or to prepare for meets this upcoming SCY season. I'm always interested in what people are doing and why.

For me, in an ideal world, I intend to work on:

improving my SDKs off turns
improving my free and breast technique
doing more strength and core work
increasing DPS
doing more race pace work throughout the season
swimming a 100 fly in SCY and SCM for the first time
taking some time off my 100 IM; I've been stuck in a rut
doing a fast 100 back this year; didn't get around to it last year

scyfreestyler
August 31st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Although my next meet is actually SCM, I'll play along.

Keeping my shoulders attached is first and foremost.

Continuing to decrease rest intervals and increase total yardage.

CreamPuff
August 31st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Not be afraid and back down from pain.

Race the big guys and really fast swimmers b/c it's fun to beat them; Even if beating 'em is in warm up, it's a start. :rofl:

Have a GREAT attitude when sets that I don't like are assigned.

Continue to not allow the boys to draft off me even if it entails sprinting the first 200 of 600 repeats. Thank goodness I'm a sprinter!

Hold 1:05s for 100 frees uncomfortably and then comfortably.

Don't swim SLOPPY, particularly when tired!

knelson
August 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hold 1:05s for 100 frees uncomfortably and then comfortably.

w00t!

My main goal for the next few months is to keep my nose to the grindstone. I have a habit of getting lazy from the end of the summer till the end of the year. My SCY shave meet just seems so far away that skipping practice doesn't seem like a big deal. I know deep down, though, that putting in the work early in the season will pay dividends at the end.

CreamPuff
August 31st, 2007, 12:59 PM
w00t!

My main goal for the next few months is to keep my nose to the grindstone. I have a habit of getting lazy from the end of the summer till the end of the year. My SCY shave meet just seems so far away that skipping practice doesn't seem like a big deal. I know deep down, though, that putting in the work early in the season will pay dividends at the end.

I better clarify my 1:05 goals. I can hold 1:02s to 1:04s on a 1:10 interval, so I've got a long way to go. But, I'm looking at my guns now and they look HUGE. I think I've got a shot on that alone. :D

talne621
August 31st, 2007, 05:08 PM
i am working on alot more distance freestyle. i beat a couple of my times from nationals in federal way in practice already. i have already made alot of improvements this summer. also i want to try some im's so i am working on my non free strokes. a couple of months ago my fly was horrible but now i can do a decent 50 fly. i used to try a back event at each meet and it is getting better.

ande
August 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
yours pretty much looks like mine
are you my evil twin?

Just wondering what folks are working on in their training or to prepare for meets this upcoming SCY season. I'm always interested in what people are doing and why.

increasing DPS

JimRude
August 31st, 2007, 05:18 PM
... getting back in shape after 20+ years out of the water. Living in Oregon, and I am focused on LC Nat'ls in Portland next year, but I hope to be representin' by May, in time for Austin...

geochuck
August 31st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Just swimmin--- no goals at the momment. Getting ready for my winter in Mexico. Bought 2 new speedo swim trunks one an Endura the other just plain old speedo. One size smaller than last years trunks.

aquaFeisty
August 31st, 2007, 05:54 PM
the season goal is sub-1:00 100 free...

so:
continue to train during team's off-time (mid Sept to mid Nov)
min 4 practices/week vs. 3 last season
2x/week core/strength work
3 SDK's off every wall
more FAST swimming at practice - target 1:05 push start 100 (current best is 1:08)
more FAST kicking at practice... hmm, well ok, START doing fast kicking at practice!
swim as many meets as possible, swim 100 free at every meet

I've got this weird IM fascination going on right now too, so probably some IM's... it'll help break up the freestyle

oh, and do my dang PT knee exercises so I can swim the 50 breast in Austin!

david.margrave
August 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
I want to break 5:00 in the 500 free. It's a long shot, but I'd settle for beating my best time of 5:23 from 1986.

Shaman
August 31st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Get Strong.
Get Ripped.
Develop a Beautiful Freestyle.
Kick hard in and out of walls.
Flip Fast.
Swim with Power.
Swim with 12 strokes or less every lap.

Paul Smith
August 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM
To continue my absolute dominance of evil-goodsmith!

Oh....and to be at the finish line for one of Geek's triathalons!

And if Sam and I can pull it off take down a couple of SCM relay WR's at ASU in November!

Donna
August 31st, 2007, 08:27 PM
I am actually trying to focus on my sprints (50 Free , 50 Fly, and 100 IM) this season, while maintaining my distance base. I really like swimming everything.

I will probably do the same thing I did during long course season this year, I attempted to swim every event at least once in a meet. The only one I missed was the 800 free because the one meet I was going to swim they only took the top 32 and I did not make the cut.

rtodd
August 31st, 2007, 08:30 PM
58 in the 100 free. Under 2:20 in the 200 free.

Swim the 100 breast and the 100 IM for the first time.

The Fortress
August 31st, 2007, 09:11 PM
yours pretty much looks like mine
are you my evil twin?

Probably right, give or take a foot ... :lmao:

Forgot to add that I'd like to keep drinking more wine than Tall Paul. :wine:

I have to work on finding a new secret nemesis too because mine hasn't swum a meet in a year.

ensignada
August 31st, 2007, 09:44 PM
Two concrete goals:

- to do reliable flip turns,
- to swim something besides freestyle legally at a meet,

and generally get stronger (and faster).

Been thinking about this Fort, thanks for asking.

Allen Stark
August 31st, 2007, 10:02 PM
1)don't hurt anything
2)work on DPs
3)do more lactate tolerance sets(but I really hate them):whiteflag:
4)work on my breakout
5)work on my pull to kick transition on the pullout.
6)swim some fly(but see # 1)
7) swim some IMs(but see #1)
My focus is on SCM now.I recommend everyone(except Jim Clemmons) find a SCM Meet and taper for it.SCM tends to be less competitive than even LCM so it's a better chance to Top Ten.:bouncing:

Blackbeard's Peg
August 31st, 2007, 11:23 PM
ahem, fort - SCM season comes first :-)since I'll be out of the pool for a while, i'll be focusing on rebuilding my endurance & fitness, losing my injury weight and rebuilding leg strength.

The Fortress
August 31st, 2007, 11:42 PM
ahem, fort - SCM season comes first :-)since I'll be out of the pool for a while, i'll be focusing on rebuilding my endurance & fitness, losing my injury weight and rebuilding leg strength.

ahem, I love SCM. But the season ends December 31, whilst SCY ends after we all party in Austin.

and ahem, I won't be swimming any more SCM, :( , unless your meet is not just once in a "Blue Moon." Unless I can scamper off to NJ, quite unlikely really, I'll be waiting to beat you in the 50 fly at the Albatross meet in April 2008.

I might engage in some overkicking too in SCY.

Red60
September 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
I've been working on technique all summer, and have gotten much more efficient. Now I want to go fast while being efficient: 50 and 100 free, 50 and 100 fly (a new event), and 200 free. Lift, get strong, improve my kick, improve SDKs. Earn my way to Austin!

Jeff Commings
September 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm working on making my final 15 months in the 30-34 age group good ones, to prove to people that being at the end of the age group doesn't mean you should just roll over and let the young'ins win everything.

scyfreestyler
September 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm working on making my final 15 months in the 30-34 age group good ones, to prove to people that being at the end of the age group doesn't mean you should just roll over and let the young'ins win everything.

Are you the same Jeff Commings that recently set some USMS breaststroke records? I don't think anybody is going to be accusing you of rolling over!

The Fortress
September 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
I just want to know if anyone's working on Jeff's roll over turn for their IM ... LOL.

I contemplated adding that to my list, but I can't seem to flip very well if it's my right hand that hits the wall.

Glider
September 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Training over an entire 20+ week season (SCM) which will include:

-Building a new engine – lots of early-season endurance, up to 40K yards per week
-New, sleeker stock body – lose about 30 pounds to reduce drag
-Add some horsepower to the engine – lots of strength training
-Front and rear end alignment – drills to improve stroke technique and efficiency
-New shock absorbers – add flexibility training to increase ROM and save the shoulders
-Short track sprints – lots of mid- and late-season sprint work and race pace sets
-Work on race day specifics – extra time on starts, turns, SDK, pullouts, and streamlining
Boogity, boogity, boogity…Gotta love NASCAR if you’re in the south:bouncing:

Mark

Sam Perry
September 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
And if Sam and I can pull it off take down a couple of SCM relay WR's at ASU in November!

Man, now you broadcast to the whole community. Talk about being thrown under the bus!

smontanaro
September 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
I just completed my 10k postal swim Friday (3:13:37, 7:50 better than two years ago - yeah!). I still have the 3000 and 6000 yd postals to complete this fall, so that will be my focus. I'd like to break 45:00 in the 3000 and get close to 1:30:00 in the 6000. I did 46:13 and 1:36:45, respectively, in 2005.

Skip Montanaro

Jeff Commings
September 4th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I just want to know if anyone's working on Jeff's roll over turn for their IM ... LOL.

I contemplated adding that to my list, but I can't seem to flip very well if it's my right hand that hits the wall.

It took six months for me to get it legal and correct. Mostly, breath control was the problem. You're not breathing for at least six seconds in the middle of a race.

If you're serious about doing it, there's no reason to work on it. Watch video tapes, have someone work with you. You have eight months until Austin!

The Fortress
September 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM
It took six months for me to get it legal and correct. Mostly, breath control was the problem. You're not breathing for at least six seconds in the middle of a race.

If you're serious about doing it, there's no reason to work on it. Watch video tapes, have someone work with you. You have eight months until Austin!

I might do it. I've been in a rut in my 100 IM. I think I should be about 2 seconds faster. I've been working on improving the evilstroke leg. But a fast turn would help too. I think I can handle the air deprivation because of my underwater SDK work, but getting it legal is another thing. What is the exact rule for the head/shoulder position?

imspoiled
September 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I might do it. I've been in a rut in my 100 IM. I think I should be about 2 seconds faster. I've been working on improving the evilstroke leg. But a fast turn would help too. I think I can handle the air deprivation because of my underwater SDK work, but getting it legal is another thing. What is the exact rule for the head/shoulder position?

Fort-

You need to finish the Back leg legally (shoulder not past 90 degrees) and push off on the breast leg "toward the breast"(past 90 degrees). Like most other turns, what you do in between the legal finish and the legal push is up to you.

Every time I work on the new turn, it works ok for a while, then falls apart:drown:. Like you, it only works if I land on the correct hand. Haven't been brave enough to try it in a meet yet. Maybe this season.

ande
September 4th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I hope to improve my SDK,
in practice (from a dive) I want to regularly go under
25 sec for 50 yard SDK's &
11 sec for 25 yard SDK's

I'm training to take more SDK's off each wall in my races
Got to make SDKs a habit in practice.
my race plans are to
take _____ SDKs off each wall in _______ event

05 - 07 in the 100 fr

10 - 12 in the 100 bk

08 - 10 in the 100 fl

06 - 08 in the 050 fr

12 - 13 in the 050 bk

08 - 10 in the 050 fl

04 - 06 in the 200 fr (if I swim it)

On free I plan to do most SDK's on my back
then roll over to my belly

So far I've noticed it really helps in practice.
several times in 100's I've turned even with folks at the 50 then
came up a ahead when I break out

Ande Rasmussen

increasing DPS

Sam Perry
September 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I hope to improve my SDK,
in practice (from a dive) I want to regularly go under
25 sec for 50 yard SDK's &
11 sec for 25 yard SDK's

I'm training to take more SDK's off each wall in my races
Got to make SDKs a habit in practice.
my race plans are to
take _____ SDKs off each wall in _______ event

05 - 07 in the 100 fr

10 - 12 in the 100 bk

08 - 10 in the 100 fl

06 - 08 in the 050 fr

12 - 13 in the 050 bk

08 - 10 in the 050 fl

04 - 06 in the 200 fr (if I swim it)

On free I plan to do most SDK's on my back
then roll over to my belly

So far I've noticed it really helps in practice.
several times in 100's I've turned even with folks at the 50 then
came up a ahead when I break out

Ande Rasmussen

I am trying to do the same, it is discouraging though. The other day we were swimming SCM and I did a set of 8 X 100 backstroke descend 1-4. On the first set, I worked on SDK and took 2-6 off of each wall (less as the swim went on). I went a 1:07.0. The next set of 4, I did no SDK on the fast one and went 1:05.5. It is hard to work on something that is making me slower. Any advice? Please remember this was SCM not LCM so I had 3 turns. Trying to figure this out for my SCM meet in November.

indyswimbag
September 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
My primary goals for SCM and SCY are the same....

try and FINALLY break 22min in the mile...

if I have a 2nd goal it would be to work on improving the evil stroke (at least to me) BUTTERFLY!!!!! AUGH...I figure that if I am going to pretend to be a wanna be IM'er then I better learn that stroke without :drown:! Someone also said to me at one time or another that the best way to improve the mile is to work on sprinting BUT sprinting and I just don't get along...:notworking: still I will be doing my 4x125/10x100 and any various other sets that I can come up with to improve the sprinting.

The Fortress
September 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I am trying to do the same, it is discouraging though. The other day we were swimming SCM and I did a set of 8 X 100 backstroke descend 1-4. On the first set, I worked on SDK and took 2-6 off of each wall (less as the swim went on). I went a 1:07.0. The next set of 4, I did no SDK on the fast one and went 1:05.5. It is hard to work on something that is making me slower. Any advice? Please remember this was SCM not LCM so I had 3 turns. Trying to figure this out for my SCM meet in November.

Sam:

Welcome to the world of SDK! I think it takes some serious time to learn and master SDKs. I never did SDKs in age group swimming and didn't my first year of masters either. Then, from watching and reading, I just decided it was a logical path to time drops. (Swimming underwater also compensates for my height disadvantage.) I've been working at it pretty diligently for 8 months or so. Much improved, especially on starts, but I still need to work on SDKs off the walls. I'm definitely not at 10-12 on each turn. 12?! SDKs just take practice, practice, practice and a strong core.

Plus, I love the monofin for SDKs. Ande doesn't, and so he is not my identical evil twin. ;)

Julie Roddin
September 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM
100 back...This year is all about the 100 back. I'm tired of being a distance swimmer.

Sam Perry
September 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Sam:

Welcome to the world of SDK! I think it takes some serious time to learn and master SDKs. I never did SDKs in age group swimming and didn't my first year of masters either. Then, from watching and reading, I just decided it was a logical path to time drops. (Swimming underwater also compensates for my height disadvantage.) I've been working at it pretty diligently for 8 months or so. Much improved, especially on starts, but I still need to work on SDKs off the walls. I'm definitely not at 10-12 on each turn. 12?! SDKs just take practice, practice, practice and a strong core.

Plus, I love the monofin for SDKs. Ande doesn't, and so he is not my identical evil twin. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I also bought a monofin this summer. Great for LCM but not so good for SCM, not enough time to get a rhythm. How often are you using it? And what kind of set do you use it on?

It's a blast to use to say the least. I have talked to many people who swear it helps, bt of course Raz has a different opinion on this.

The Fortress
September 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. I also bought a monofin this summer. Great for LCM but not so good for SCM, not enough time to get a rhythm. How often are you using it? And what kind of set do you use it on?

It's a blast to use to say the least. I have talked to many people who swear it helps, bt of course Raz has a different opinion on this.

I use it most practices. But I love it for SC too, especially for 25s!! (In fact, I don't think I used it at the few LC practices I did this summer with my team.) I do all sorts of things with it. Almost every practice I do a set of 10 x 25 underwater dolphin kick shooters. Or I'll do sets of 16 x 25 four point shooters (back, front, left side, right side). I do a lot of 10 x 50s. I'll occasionally go longer for some core work. Almost never over 100 though. I tend to use it for speed work. I also use it for fly drills and BR pull drills. I think it is a blast -- and gives a little variety to the practice. It's really helped my backstroke start! Great for the core and glutes too! I'm definitely in the "swear it helps" camp. But I do practice SDKs without it to keep me honest and avoid utter toy addiction.

Still working on the walls though. My last turn (100 meter back, zones) I counted only 7-8 SDKs after 14 on the start.

funkyfish
September 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'll be working on:
1) trying to swim 10-11 spl per 25yd lengths
2) forcing myself to stick to flip turns for every lap
3) 4-6 skd's off of each wall
4) getting enough rest each night
5) coming in on a 1:00 for sets of 100s (freestyle)
6) doing more fly, back, and breaststroke

:banana:

Midas
September 5th, 2007, 12:40 AM

I think I will enjoy my first year in the 35-39 age group (also my first year back in the pool after 13 years away from swimming) without having to worry about you or Roque Santos reminding me that I'm really not that good.:p I will also focus on swimming as fast as I did in high school, which I hope to accomplish through better technique, weight training (which I didn't do in high school), better flexibility and a better diet (but MUCH shorter workouts:D).

geochuck
September 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Jeff when you are that young you are just getting to be able to do your best times.

Jeff Commings
September 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM

From the USMS rule book:
Backstroke to breaststroke—The swimmer must touch the wall while
on the back. Once a legal touch has been made, the swimmer may turn in
any manner, but the shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the
breast when the swimmer leaves the wall and the prescribed breaststroke
form must be attained prior to the first arm stroke.

"On the back" doesn't have to mean flat on your back. You can roll onto your side, but you must not let the exposed shoulder go beyond that invisible line that goes 90 degrees from the water's surface.

The Fortress
September 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
From the USMS rule book:

"On the back" doesn't have to mean flat on your back. You can roll onto your side, but you must not let the exposed shoulder go beyond that invisible line that goes 90 degrees from the water's surface.

Worked on these suckers today and they really weren't too bad. If I lunge down for the backstroke finish, I almost automatically flip right over. Much more fun this way. Problem is I can only do it with my left hand so far. But it might be faster this way even if I glide in. Going to force myself to only do rollover turns on IMs the next couple months and see how it goes. I think I'll even do one at my next meet. Nothing to lose. :bouncing:

(Have to admit, though, that I don't think I was under water for 6 seconds. Safe assumption that your breaststroke pullout is a lot longer than mine!)

The Fortress
September 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM
From the USMS rule book:

Jeff:

Are you doing the spin turn or the flip turn? I was practicing the flip turn. Then I saw all Geochuck's video links, which showed the spin turn. I also read on the GoSwim site that the flip turn is also called the suicide turn because the swimmers DQ 90% of the time. To prevent a DQ, do you just need to touch before you flip? The flip seems faster than the spin to me ...

Jeff Commings
September 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
The flip is faster, and it's what I do. If you don't overreach with your touching arm, you won't get DQ'd ... unless the judge has never seen it done before or is not standing directly over your lane, in which case he or she will think you've rotated onto your stomach.

For anyone who does the crossover turn: If you get DQ'd, ask the judge where he or she was standing. If they were not standing directly over the lane (or at most, one lane over), they were not in a good position to judge the turn, and you can dispute it. I've done it before, and won.

Those 90 percent who were DQ'd probably were legal, but the judge freaked out. In masters, I've had a few stroke judges ask me to demonstrate the turn to them after the meet because they were never taught how to judge it.

I don't think the turn is discussed often in stroke and turn seminars for judges, but I could be wrong.

Paul Smith
September 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Sam....it really helps if unlike Jeff your feet/toes are horizontal in the water not sticking 3" straight up/out! :mooning:

26+ buddy....!

marksman
September 6th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I'm working on a few (interrelated) things this fall:

1. endurance (particularly distance free).
2. flexibility (esp. ankle flexibility, and shoulder flexibility).
3. losing 10-15 lbs.

So far my progress is not staggering, but the downward trend seems to be there. I think I'm going to have to stretch twice a day instead of just once. The weight loss has been the most difficult, I get really hungry after workouts.

Jeff Commings
September 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Sam....it really helps if unlike Jeff your feet/toes are horizontal in the water not sticking 3" straight up/out! :mooning:

26+ buddy....!

When I'm really sprinting it's more like two inches. :thhbbb:

lanehog
September 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Lots and lots of things for this season:

1. Get my shoulder healthy enough to do that 8-mile Boston swim next summer. To that end I'm planning to...
a. work on technique
b. do lots of rotator cuff exercises
c. strengthen my core muscles

2. Lift weights consistently. (This one's hard, as I'm not a huge fan of the gym, and I haven't been consistent about this since I was 15 and forced to do it.)

3. Actually train for a half-marathon (run) at the end of January. For my first one last April, my running was incredibly inconsistent and my longest run prior to the race was an 8.5 miler. Sure enough, at mile 10, things began to go downhill and FAST. I still managed a 2:12 though. So this time around, I'm going to actually train properly, and I'm hoping to finish around the 2-hour mark.

I might enter a few meets here and there, but I don't really have any specific goals in mind. I generally leave the freestyle for open-water season, so I use the short-course seasons to race butterfly/breast/IM. (I do enough backstroke only to get me through the IMs and no more.)

We should remember to resurrect this thread at the end of the season and see how everyone fared with their goals.