PDA

View Full Version : Focus Event?

The Fortress
August 31st, 2007, 11:41 AM
On another thread, there was a reference to having a "focus event." I was wondering how many of us have focus events and what they are. Is it a good thing to have a focus event to help direct your training?

I have an event that always seems to be my "best" event (50 back), but I wouldn't say I focus on it exclusively at all. More apt to focus on sprinting in general.

Thoughts?

Slowswim
August 31st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Fort:

Probably why I'm not improving very quickly. I don't focus on an "event" more fitness overall and technique to get faster.

Your last two threads have given me a lot think about going in to the off season.

Thanx.

scyfreestyler
August 31st, 2007, 11:57 AM
For me, the 200 Free. It's an event that kills me and I've got a lot of room for improvement but somehow I enjoy swimming it. I have theorized that the endurance I gain from training for this event will also help my 100 Free. Time will tell.

Mswimming
August 31st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Is the beer chug in Austin an acceptable focus event? :groovy: :party2:

Kevin

CreamPuff
August 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM
I have a focus person.
I focus on the cute butts in front of me.

Seriously, it's the 100 fly. If I can get down to a :58, then I'm in shape and the other events fall in place.

ande
August 31st, 2007, 01:04 PM
right now I'm focusing on
50 & 100
Fr, Fl, & Bk
also the 25 & 50 SDK
I'd like to be in good enough shape so I can aggressively swim the
100 bk & take 10 - 12 SDKs off each wall

Ande

The Fortress
August 31st, 2007, 01:14 PM
I have a focus person.

Seriously, it's the 100 fly. If I can get down to a :58, then I'm in shape and the other events fall in place.

Ha, ha, ha.

I'm worried about making it and you're looking for a :58 ... Since you've already gone a 1:08 LC, I'd say you'll achieve that time. Especially with those BIG guns!

Looks like Ande and I have the same focus events, except I'm opting for the 100 IM instead of the 100 free.

Jeff Commings
August 31st, 2007, 01:19 PM
Having a focus event gets me through the tedium of workout. If I know what I'm working towards, it keeps me motivated.

This season, I'm making a return to the 200 IM after a yearlong absence.

CreamPuff
August 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM
Ha, ha, ha.

I'm worried about making it and you're looking for a :58 ... Since you've already gone a 1:08 LC, I'd say you'll achieve that time. Especially with those BIG guns!

Looks like Ande and I have the same focus events, except I'm opting for the 100 IM instead of the 100 free.

No way Fort! I'm always keeping my eye on you! I truly expect you to pass me up any meet now. :bow: :31 in the 50 M fly for you means you will *KILL* the 100 once you're ready to swim it!! I believe I recall your swimming a :57 as a youngster! If Dara Torres can surpass her youth times, we can shoot to match ours!

talne621
August 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM
i am focusing more on the distance free events though i still do alot of sprints. i beat alot of my times from nationals in federal way already in practice.

aquaFeisty
August 31st, 2007, 05:57 PM
100 free, 100 free, 100 free...

and probably the 200 free because it will help the 100! (and because I think I have some seriously slacker best times in the 200 I can prune down...)

runner girl
August 31st, 2007, 07:58 PM
100 Fly and 200 Free with shoulders firmly attached!

Allen Stark
August 31st, 2007, 08:47 PM
I focus on the three breaststrokes(Duh:woot::woot::woot:) The 100 is my favorite:banana::banana:,but I try to focus equally on all three.

jim clemmons
September 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
400 IM 'cause it takes a little bit of everything to get there.

FindingMyInnerFish
September 2nd, 2007, 05:39 PM

Kevin

:rofl::rofl: LOL!

It's a good question, and I'm comparatively new to masters' swimming, so I'll have to think about this over a beer! ;)

My focus during the summer was a 5 mile swim and I'm very new to distances like that... Might be tho that open water events (various distances) will become my main interest.

Happy swimming/ labor day all!

3strokes
September 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM

Kevin

Not necessarily in Austin.
Anywhere's good enuff'
:drink:

3strokes
September 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM

So do I (though I would say "singular" butt).
But it's so frustrating when that -cute- person (females in my case)
in front of you (i.e., me) can't kick properly and their feet (if not their whole lower legs) break the surface creating a wall of bubbles in which a Nuclear submarine could slip undected.

On the serious side, for me it's the 50 Free LCM (the 100 is a maybe, depending on how I feel on the day.)

The Fortress
September 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
No way Fort! I'm always keeping my eye on you! I truly expect you to pass me up any meet now. :bow: :31 in the 50 M fly for you means you will *KILL* the 100 once you're ready to swim it!! I believe I recall your swimming a :57 as a youngster! If Dara Torres can surpass her youth times, we can shoot to match ours!

Well, since you're training at least twice as much as me and now have BIG guns, I don't think I'll be passing you anytime soon. :bow: I think the added weights you're doing will help your 100 fly too!

As for youth times, hmmm....., I tend not to think about them too much. For now, I'm going to just aim at chipping away at my masters times and trying a few new events once in awhile. But I guess you never know ...

Warren
September 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
25 free and breast for the george mason sprint classic.

Glider
September 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
I'm with Allen and Jeff on this -- breaststrokers unite!. If I have to pick one BR event, it's the 100.

I'm looking to crack 1:10 SCM at St Nick's in Atlanta in December. That keeps me motivated to get out of bed for 5AM practices on weekdays...

swimshark
September 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Normally the long distance free but lately I've enjoyed the 400 IM so this next year I will focus on improving my 400IM for LC Nationals. Other than that, It's breast, too.

Alison

FlyQueen
September 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
50/100 free and fly. The 100s are long enough for me so no need to try for a 200 of either.

swimr4life
September 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
100 m free (SCM) for a meet at Ga. Tech in December! I'm also working on 200m free and 200m IM. I can't wait because I only swam one long course meet this summer....and it was in JUNE!

imspoiled
September 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Normally the long distance free but lately I've enjoyed the 400 IM so this next year I will focus on improving my 400IM for LC Nationals. Other than that, It's breast, too.

Alison

Good--Stay away from those nasty freestyle events Alison! In return, I'll stay away from breaststroke events, except for amusement purposes.

Dana

swimshark
September 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Good--Stay away from those nasty freestyle events Alison! In return, I'll stay away from breaststroke events, except for amusement purposes.

Dana

One day we need to do a grudge match after you beat me in the 200 free. Maybe breast??? I'll make it more even and we can do a sprint.

Alison

imspoiled
September 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
One day we need to do a grudge match after you beat me in the 200 free. Maybe breast??? I'll make it more even and we can do a sprint.

Alison

Ok, the 200 free and the 50 breast. :whiteflag:

swimshark
September 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Ok, the 200 free and the 50 breast. :whiteflag:

If we are to do 2 short events, then let's even it out a bit with the 800 or 1000 free :laugh2: With the short events, I'll be calling for :help:

Alison

imspoiled
September 4th, 2007, 03:20 PM
If we are to do 2 short events, then let's even it out a bit with the 800 or 1000 free :laugh2: With the short events, I'll be calling for :help:

Alison

Only if you promise to swim the 400 IM first!:lolup:

You know I'm always up for the long swims, but worry about what'll happen when your wrist is back to full training mode. Oh heck, at worst, chasing you around for an 800/1000 will improve my time. [insert drafting smilie here]

Dana

SwimStud
September 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Focusing on:
a) Standing Up Straight
b) 100 FR<1:00
c) 50 BR<:32
d) Annoying geek profusely via forums..

aquageek
September 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
a) remove pole
b) snowball chance
c) in Hades
d) drink tea with pinky extended

swimshark
September 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Only if you promise to swim the 400 IM first!:lolup:

You know I'm always up for the long swims, but worry about what'll happen when your wrist is back to full training mode. Oh heck, at worst, chasing you around for an 800/1000 will improve my time. [insert drafting smilie here]

Dana

Find me a meet with the 400 IM and long distance free together and I'm there! :) We'll have to see how post-surgery swimming goes in a few weeks. I hope I can recover and do well at that 200 free against you. You have me scared

Alison

The Fortress
September 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Find me a meet with the 400 IM and long distance free together and I'm there! :) We'll have to see how post-surgery swimming goes in a few weeks. I hope I can recover and do well at that 200 free against you. You have me scared

Alison

Remember, the next meet is the SPRINT classic.

Doing any USA-S meets this fall? I need to focus on my meet schedule.

indyswimbag
September 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM
My Favorite stroke is Breaststroke of course....now having said that

I like the 50 the best BUT the 200 is probably the focus event. I also focus on the 1000/1650. I am branching out and trying to improve the 400 IM. SO in order of focus

the 1650/1000 is first followed by the 200 breast. The a DISTANT 3rd is the 400IM....:drown: which I am sure is something that I will be focusing on for awhile.

some_girl
September 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Beating FlyQueen in person.

jaegermeister
September 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I'd be focusing on 200 IM if my knee were healthy. As it is, I can't do evilstroke, so it'd have to be 200 back. Maybe 200 free so I can work on my demons.

Syd
September 5th, 2007, 02:40 AM
50, 100, 200 Free and 50, 100 Fly. Perhaps a crack at the 400 Free as well. As I do more distance I feel more confident in the longer events even though, at heart, I am a sprinter. Perhaps that is changing though.

Syd

poolraat
September 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
100 fly and 100 back. Right now I swim them at about the same time (slow and poorly) and would like to make the cuts in these for SCY next spring.

AnnG
September 5th, 2007, 06:45 PM
400 IM and 200 bk. Swam lots more backstroke last year with great results. 1.5 sec drop in the 50, 3 secs in the 100 and 6 secs in the 200 at SCY nationals. That was after a LOT of backstroke sets including LT backstroke sets. This year my coach said something about a distance free event so I think I see a lot of 800 free sets in my future!

geochuck
September 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I just watched an amazing story on the television about a Canadian Native woman. She was kicked off the Canadian Waterpolo team because she was not cooperative with the coach. She went to court and fought it. What an a story. I and my wife have instantly become her supporters. Her Name is Waneet Horn http://slam.canoe.ca/2000GamesBiosA2M/horn_miller.html Here is her website http://www.waneekhornmiller.com/

The Fortress
September 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
a) remove pole
b) snowball chance
c) in Hades
d) drink tea with pinky extended

Hmm.... I think a sub 1:00 free is a perfectly reasonable goal for Stud. He's got his flip turns, streamlines and SDKs down. Just has to do a bit more speed work and not screw around with evilstroke all the time.

Poolraat: No 100 free? You're going to be a stroker after all that freestyle all summer long? Maybe you got bored?

poolraat
September 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Poolraat: No 100 free? You're going to be a stroker after all that freestyle all summer long? Maybe you got bored?

I'll continue to work on free. Still want to do another sub 1:00. But the main focus will be on the other two. And I'm sure that the additional work on back and fly will help the free.

swimshark
September 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Remember, the next meet is the SPRINT classic.

Doing any USA-S meets this fall? I need to focus on my meet schedule.

I plan on being at the Sprint meet. I may do 200's depending on how my wrist is doing. With recovery from the surgery, I doubt I'll do any USA-S meets. This fall is mostly a recovery time for me. I go back to the doctor on Wed and hope to get cleared to kick in the water. You know it's bad when you hope to at least be able to kick and submerge in the water!

Ann, I'm focusing on the 400IM, too. Will you be doing it at Nats in Portland?

Alison

Got Boost
September 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
At this point in time, it takes focus just for me to find time to get to the pool. If I had to pick an event it would be the 100 Fly or the 200 IM since they put you through you paces. If I am good to go on those two events then I am good to go in general.
Got Boost

islandsox
September 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I'm focused on a 20 mile swim next year; time is irrelevant; completion is everything. I'll feel better when I get to consistent 10 mile swims. The clock is ticking and I'm trying to keep up.:doh:

SwimStud
September 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I'm focused on a 20 mile swim next year; time is irrelevant; completion is everything. I'll feel better when I get to consistent 10 mile swims. The clock is ticking and I'm trying to keep up.:doh:

You can do it Donna...:banana::groovy::drink::applaud:

Leonard Jansen
September 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Given the distances that your are swimming already, I'd lay good money down that you could do it now. I'm not saying it would be a walk in the park, but you could do it.

If you get to consistent 10 milers, you will be READY in spades. At that level, you could handily do Manhattan, if you can take the colder water.

-LBJ

geochuck
September 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
My very first Marathon race 15 miles. I never trained over 2 hours of swimming. My second race that year a ten miler.

I laid off all winter and started to train in May again never swam over 2 hours and did a 28 miler, 2nd week in July. Swimming long distance is not that hard it just takes desire to win and swim. But I was 30 years old.

smontanaro
September 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Given the distances that your are swimming already, I'd lay good money down that you could do it now. I'm not saying it would be a walk in the park, but you could do it.

Agreed. I recently completed my 10k postal swim. During the two months before I did the swim I took nearly half the days off. I swam more than 4000 yds only a handful of times.

The rule of thumb I remember from another life when my knees let me run without a care was that to complete a certain distance you need to practice at one-third the race distance on a regular basis.

Skip

Leonard Jansen
September 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
The rule of thumb I remember from another life when my knees let me run without a care was that to complete a certain distance you need to practice at one-third the race distance on a regular basis.

Skip

Yes, that was the wisdom for the marathon that came out of the 1970's. The rule was that if you averaged 1/3 the race distance per day for 8 weeks before the race, you could complete it (as opposed to race it.) I think that's true for running, but I think that swimming is more forgiving in that regard - i.e. you can get by with less due to the fact that you are not pounding your legs and swimming is more of a full-body exercise. Experience also skews this, both for swimming and running. I used to hop into marathons with little prep and racewalk them in about 4 hours (fastest was about 3:26) - it was painful, but I knew I could finish and did.
I also think that the newer energy drinks (e.g. Accelerade) help as well and in a long swim, you have a boat right there to give you one whenever you want.

Barring bad luck, Donna will have this in the bag.

-LBJ

geochuck
September 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM
You can do it Donna...:banana::groovy::drink::applaud:
Stud

Your avatar suits you. Did someone suggest it????

SwimStud
September 14th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Stud

"mmmf!"

The Fortress
September 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Stud

Really can you blame him, George? The welcoming committee can be underwhelming.

"mmmmf"

islandsox
September 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Barring bad luck, Donna will have this in the bag.

-LBJ

It sure helps having people think I can do this swim next year. Just as long as they don't "put me in a bag".:rofl:

geochuck
September 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
When I did the Cross Lake Ontario Swim 1964, I was pulled out of the water (no one finished the race). The Harbour Police had me in a body bag. Chuckie was in the Police boat that was taking me to shore. The guy driving the boat asked Chuckie "Is he breathing?". "Chuckie said I hope so."

geochuck
September 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Just watched this goswim video re the tempo trainer. Breaststrke kick on the back
http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=4723_0_20_0_C

My Favorite stroke is Breaststroke of course....now having said that

I like the 50 the best BUT the 200 is probably the focus event. I also focus on the 1000/1650. I am branching out and trying to improve the 400 IM. SO in order of focus

the 1650/1000 is first followed by the 200 breast. The a DISTANT 3rd is the 400IM....:drown: which I am sure is something that I will be focusing on for awhile.

okoban
September 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM
It was 200 free till this year. It was the only event for masters. This year there will be a more comprehensive masters event and I will decide about my focus event. I am sure it will not be 200 fly or 4oo IM. I wil focus on them after retirement when I will have more time for training.:joker:

Allen Stark
September 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM
The breaststroke on the back with tempo drill is interesting.I must point out that the swimmer was raising her legs at the hips,which slows you down. One good thing about the kick on your back drill is you can make sure your knees don't break the surface. Hers really do.

geochuck
September 14th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I understand your thoughts Allen, but I for one don't mind the slight knee thing. I would rather see that then the heels coming out of the trough.

Allen Stark
September 14th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Raising your knees at the hips right before the kick is OK,most of the best do.She just does it a little early and a little too much IMHO.