PDA

View Full Version : Odd quirks in your swims:

SwimStud
September 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I will audibly grunt underwater through the last through strokes of a race...I always wonder if anyone else hears it.

Do you have a quirk?

swimminlyn
September 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I talk to myself when I am swimming. Especially with fly and breast when I am tired telling myself to keep my hips up. I also grunt when swimming the last length of breast in the 400 IM.

scyfreestyler
September 4th, 2007, 11:22 AM
A grunt off of the wall on longer sets or faster swims.

Warren
September 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I don't grunt but I bite my lip on the second lap of the 50 free

ensignada
September 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
OK, so I've only swum in two races, but I did notice my mind spewing some ubelievably foul language :censor: . Was a bit surprised, but entertained as well.

islandsox
September 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I will audibly grunt underwater through the last through strokes of a race...I always wonder if anyone else hears it.

Do you have a quirk?

Rich, I heard that grunt on your recent open water swim all the way to Roatan. I'd stop that if I were you cause it probably takes too much energy and air out of your lungs!

SwimStud
September 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Rich, I heard that grunt on your recent open water swim all the way to Roatan. I'd stop that if I were you cause it probably takes too much energy and air out of your lungs!

It's involuntary...and usually as I'm trying for the last few no breath strokes in...

poolraat
September 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I usually finish every race exclaiming "I'm too old for this s***!"

MAC swimmer
September 6th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Here's a quirk...I look over at the hotties when I get really winded. I'm serious, it helps me survive the set. It gives me energy. Hey you asked....

nkfrench
September 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Whenever I was in a race and I could see my coach on deck doing that helpful gesture fluttering his arms while verbally suggesting loudly, "KICK" ... well, sometimes only my middle finger is extended on that freestyle recovery.

imspoiled
September 6th, 2007, 02:15 PM
... well, sometimes only my middle finger is extended on that free recovery.

I wanted to do that at Nationals when my coach switched from the "OK" signal to the "get moving" signal during my 1500 swim. Since we did not have a discussion about my race strategy beforehand, it was a mystery what he was using as a reference for either signal. I'm quite sure my message would have been heard loud & clear though.

scyfreestyler
September 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Whenever I was in a race and I could see my coach on deck doing that helpful gesture fluttering his arms while verbally suggesting loudly, "KICK" ... well, sometimes only my middle finger is extended on that freestyle recovery.

:D That is great! I have often wondered if coaches really think that the swimmer is somehow lazily slacking off and in need of a kick in the pants.

ensignada
September 6th, 2007, 05:08 PM
:D That is great! I have often wondered if coaches really think that the swimmer is somehow lazily slacking off and in need of a kick in the pants.

I had a friend, an elite hurdler at Ohio State, whose coach would tell her that her big problem was she needed to run faster. :doh:

The Fortress
September 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
OK, so I've only swum in two races, but I did notice my mind spewing some ubelievably foul language :censor: . Was a bit surprised, but entertained as well.

This sometimes happens to me. But then I like to swear. So sometimes, it's a positive thing like "f*ck yes, love that time."

I don't think I've EVER swum a backstroke race where I didn't think "where are the effen flags already?!" heading to the finish.

When doing evilstroke, my stroke usually changes 3-4 times during the course of even a 50. Can't make up my mind how to swim it ... not really sure how ... need some coaching ... whatever.

quicksilver
September 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Do you have a quirk?

You are not alone in the grunting.

Having learned to stay under for a good part of the pool while dolphin kicking... I couldn't help but notice a very audible grunt from a extremely determined lap swimmer nearby. Every turn sounded like she was pissed off. Very funny...coming from this otherwise rather mild mannered person.

That said ...we've got a few other at the pool also. One guy does it on practically each stroke.
Water is supposed to have a calming effect...apparently not!

SwimStud
September 7th, 2007, 08:22 AM
You are not alone in the grunting.

Having learned to stay under for a good part of the pool while dolphin kicking... I couldn't help but notice a very audible grunt from a extremely determined lap swimmer nearby. Every turn sounded like she was pissed off. Very funny...coming from this otherwise rather mild mannered person.

That said ...we've got a few other at the pool also. One guy does it on practically each stroke.
Water is supposed to have a calming effect...apparently not!

Well I swam the OW last week a 1.5 miler. I decided to start picking it up a bit in the second half but I actually went too soo...I was grunting a bitto fight off the mental thing that's telling you to back off. Sometimes you can get past the inner voice and you suddenly find the body gives a bit more.

Glider
September 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
This is funny:laugh2: Sometimes I have to ask, "WTF am I doing here?" BEFORE I swim!!!

Last week I swam 4 events in a developmental meet -- a total of 13 swimmers. That's 50, 100, and 200 BR, plus the 100 IM, in that order -- all in about an hour or so.

As I was sitting on the blocks for the 100 IM, just 10 minutes after the 200 BR, I really had to wonder...:censor:

Mark

I usually finish every race exclaiming "I'm too old for this s***!"

FindingMyInnerFish
September 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I had a friend, an elite hurdler at Ohio State, whose coach would tell her that her big problem was she needed to run faster. :doh:

LOL! I know I don't need a coach to tell me that's my problem! My other problem is I need to swim faster!

But my biggest problem is that fast runners and swimmers won't lend me their fast-twitch muscle fibers for my races.... :violin: What's a body to do!

Swim quirks.... at the end of distance swims, counting something like "one, two, three, breathe" just to get my mind off how long I'm taking and how immeasurably long a way I am from finishing (which feels true even if the finish line is like 25 yards away). ;)

Seagurl51
September 9th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I scream....loudly, if you were close you'd hear me, every single morning when I jump in the pool for the first time. Usually certain colourful explitives find there way in there too.

During practice (and occasionally races) I LOVE to sing to myself. I find a song that fits my stroke rate, and I usually sing out loud. I'm just a mass of bubbles gliding through the water. :)

During races, I usually hear an announcers voice in my head doing a play by play. For some reason they're always Austraillian too....