PDA

View Full Version : Depressed outdoor East coast swimmer

renie
September 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I can't believe the summer is over - why do our outdoor pools all close on Labor Day? It's going to be hotttttt all week and now I'm forced to go indoors. I went indoors today--dimly lit, overheated air and the water temp was 82! My already dark mood plummeted to near postal. I am soooo depressed - anyone else feeling the blues? :cry:I may have to "crash" an outdoor pool in my area that may still stay open, but I get a little nervous doing that as I get older.

aquaFeisty
September 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm right there with you, Renie. I cry when the outdoor pool closes. To add insult to injury, the hottest and most beautiful weather weeks of the summer are usually the 2 weeks after Labor Day. Our pool is called Centennial Beach and my 2 year old said, "Mommy go a Beachy?" hopefully to me yesterday morning. I had to choke back a tear and reply, "No, the Beach is closed till next summer, sweetie." Sigh.

Oh well, only 261 days, 21 hours, 17 minutes, and 10 seconds till the Beach opens!

SwimStud
September 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I'm right there with you, Renie. I cry when the outdoor pool closes. To add insult to injury, the hottest and most beautiful weather weeks of the summer are usually the 2 weeks after Labor Day. Our pool is called Centennial Beach and my 2 year old said, "Mommy go a Beachy?" hopefully to me yesterday morning. I had to choke back a tear and reply, "No, the Beach is closed till next summer, sweetie." Sigh.

Oh well, only 261 days, 21 hours, 17 minutes, and 10 seconds till the Beach opens!

not that anyone has written an excel based countdown timer that runs on their computer desktop or anything
;)

aquageek
September 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Kids are back in school. There goes your supply of workers.

MAC swimmer
September 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I feel your pain. I swam indoors at lunch today for the first time in 3 months. Booooo!!!

aquaFeisty
September 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Geek, you are completely right. In fact, since the schools here start 2 weeks before Labor Day, the Beach closes down during the week and is just open on weekends for those last 2 weeks. It still sucks when it closes for good. There's just something sooooo nice about swimming outside, LCM, even if you're swimming in a pool that so algae-filled you can't really see the lanelines on the bottom.

renie
September 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm right there with you, Renie. I cry when the outdoor pool closes. To add insult to injury, the hottest and most beautiful weather weeks of the summer are usually the 2 weeks after Labor Day.

Haha, now I have a goal! Yup, gonna be 90 this week! Ughhh:doh:

renie
September 5th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I feel your pain. I swam indoors at lunch today for the first time in 3 months. Booooo!!!

And what was your water temp indoors?

renie
September 5th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Geek, you are completely right. In fact, since the schools here start 2 weeks before Labor Day, the Beach closes down during the week and is just open on weekends for those last 2 weeks. It still sucks when it closes for good. There's just something sooooo nice about swimming outside, LCM, even if you're swimming in a pool that so algae-filled you can't really see the lanelines on the bottom.

Wow, what beach is that? Bummer! My last day outdoors, the water was 75 but it was so sunny and warm, it felt like heaven. I don't know how I will cope -- guess I need to buy a house and install a lap lane inground pool - should only cost about $700,000 total. Think it's worth it? I'd open the pool and swim from April 1 to November.

swimminlyn
September 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I totally feel your pain. At least you got to swim until Labor Day. Our outdoor pool closed August 15th. I have been indoors for 3 weeks. It is awful.:cry:

Blackbeard's Peg
September 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
my lunchtime outdoor LCM pool is still open limited hours during the week, including during lunch. Now instead of 3 LCM lanes, the whole pool is lap lanes. Only problem is I have no idea how long they'll keep it open, and chances are by the time I am not hobbling around on my peg leg, outdoors will be closed.

And yeah, summer isn't over until september 23. A lot of these places should consider staying open limited hours (ie weekends only) until at least the 2nd weekend after labor day. Sure staffing is tough, but we all pay enough...

aquaFeisty
September 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Wow, what beach is that? Bummer! My last day outdoors, the water was 75 but it was so sunny and warm, it felt like heaven. I don't know how I will cope -- guess I need to buy a house and install a lap lane inground pool - should only cost about $700,000 total. Think it's worth it? I'd open the pool and swim from April 1 to November.

It's not really a beach. It's a converted limestone quarry. There is a 50 LCM pool across the middle.

http://www.napervilleparks.org/parksfacilities/centennialbeach/

The water temp was probably similar to yours last weekend, but the sunshine and hot air felt great!

I like your plan - go for it! Heehee. My husband's grand scheme upon winning the lottery is to build a world-class 50m pool (he's hoping for a BIG payout). My goal is smaller... I just want a 2 lane scy pool that can be bubbled over in the winter... with blocks, touchpads, and a full Colorado timing system installed! :D

renie
September 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
my lunchtime outdoor LCM pool is still open limited hours during the week, including during lunch. Now instead of 3 LCM lanes, the whole pool is lap lanes. Only problem is I have no idea how long they'll keep it open, and chances are by the time I am not hobbling around on my peg leg, outdoors will be closed.

And yeah, summer isn't over until september 23. A lot of these places should consider staying open limited hours (ie weekends only) until at least the 2nd weekend after labor day. Sure staffing is tough, but we all pay enough...

Wopw, what town do you live in? I envy you. I'm with you on extending the summer outdoor pool time. I would gladly give up some petunias or pansies in our every-changing landscaping for more hours -- heck, I'd guard the pool!

Are you injured? I'm in a post-op shoe - broke my toe last weekend just in time for my week off to play tennis and go to the US Open. Needless to say, I could not do either. Thankfully I could swim - a bit painfully, but I was so happy I could swim, I'd take any pain.

renie
September 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM
It's not really a beach. It's a converted limestone quarry. There is a 50 LCM pool across the middle.

The water temp was probably similar to yours last weekend, but the sunshine and hot air felt great!

I like your plan - go for it! Heehee. My husband's grand scheme upon winning the lottery is to build a world-class 50m pool (he's hoping for a BIG payout). My goal is smaller... I just want a 2 lane scy pool that can be bubbled over in the winter... with blocks, touchpads, and a full Colorado timing system installed! :D

That's cool - hmm, we don't ask for much huh? I'll join your hubbie's pool - let me know when it's open!:applaud: Or, is the 50m pool just for him and you? :D

aquaFeisty
September 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
you are welcome to come swim at our 50m pool! I'll let you know when the lottery comes through! :)

poolraat
September 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM
You guys will probably hate me for this, but our outdoor 25 meter pool opens for the season May 1 and is open until Sept. 30. :banana: It's starting to get a bit cool (and dark at first) for the 6:00-8:30 morning lap swim, but the 11:30-1:30 and 5:30-6:30 lap swims are great. :groovy:

scyfreestyler
September 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM
The left coast has it's advantages. Our outdoor pool is open all year..rain or shine.

Midas
September 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I live in the SF Bay area and so I figure I'll give the other side of the coin's perspective. Most pools in my area are outdoors, and though they close for recreational swimming in late October, some remain open year-round for lap swimming (as is the case for the pools used by the two local Masters teams). Yes, these pools are heated. But I'm not looking forward to having to run to and from the locker room to the pool when the air temp is in the high 30's/low 40's (it does get that cold overnight/early in the morning out here). Already there have been days in the 50's and that's been chilly enough to make me *almost* wish for an indoor pool! :eek:

Brian Stack
September 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I live in the SF Bay area and so I figure I'll give the other side of the coin's perspective. Most pools in my area are outdoors, and though they close for recreational swimming in late October, some remain open year-round for lap swimming (as is the case for the pools used by the two local Masters teams). Yes, these pools are heated. But I'm not looking forward to having to run to and from the locker room to the pool when the air temp is in the high 30's/low 40's (it does get that cold overnight/early in the morning out here). Already there have been days in the 50's and that's been chilly enough to make me *almost* wish for an indoor pool! :eek:
I'll put up with a short run in the cold over an indoor pool anyday. I grew up in MA, swimming in the basement 20 yd pool at the Y. When I got my first taste of swimming in Oakland, outside in a 33 1/3 yd pool, I was hooked for life. Nothing better than swimming in 80 water with the ambient temp at 40, add rain and I'm ecstatic:banana:.
If I feel bad for anyone it's the coaches and lifeguards who have to stand out in the weather for 3 hours at a time, ice on the deck is a real hazard for a couple of days a year! :violin:

AnnG
September 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I feel your pain! We always go from open water swimming, long course outdoor pools and our main 25 meter pool with the cover off to nothing at all on September 4th. THEN Tuesday morning I tried to go to the icky indoor 85 degree club pool to at least get a practice in and the night prior someone screwed up the chemicals and it was chartreuse GREEN! Very yucky and obviously closed since. I am having serious pool withdrawal and will probably actually appreciate the "micropool" when it balances again and reopens. I am reduced to the stinkin TREADMILL . . .

nyswimmer
September 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Our outdoor pool is scheduled to close this Saturday, when the indoor pool reopens (closed all summer for renovations -- it's usually open summers).

But the outdoor pool is half the size of the indoor and much more crowded since the indoor is closed (and it's getting really cold) -- this year, I'm actually a little tired of it. :frustrated: So I'm looking forward to going back inside. :banana:

smontanaro
September 5th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Very cool. Is it open to non-residents? If so, I'll have to come over and give it a try next summer sometime. Does the Naperville team practice there in the summer?

Skip Montanaro

aquaFeisty
September 5th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Very cool. Is it open to non-residents? If so, I'll have to come over and give it a try next summer sometime. Does the Naperville team practice there in the summer?

Skip Montanaro

You should come down! It is VERY cool!!! The little picture on the website does not do it justice. It's a public pool, so open to anyone. Don't know if the prices will go up, but this summer it was $10 non-residents (which is steep, IMHO) but only $3 for after 5 pm. Since the pool is open till 8 every day but Sunday, this is a deal!

Naperville Waves typically practices at the Beach on Wednesday nights and once a month on Sat morning. Academy Bullets (Aurora-based masters team) practices a couple times a month there. We usually do warmup and some sets in the LCM lanes, then head to the deepend. The deepend is huge - I figure it's about 175-200 yards to go straight across and come back. Sometimes we do laps around the circumference. No clue how far that is? Sometimes we do pier sprints where you sprint to the piers, climb out on one side, dive in and sprint to the next (this is my favorite.)

david.margrave
September 5th, 2007, 11:04 PM
The outdoor pool I've been swimming at most of the time this summer stays open year round (actually they say they close it when there is ice on the deck). I have a decision to make, whether to keep swimming there through the winter or go with another team that uses a good indoor pool.

I'm interested in year-round tips, is it a good idea to wear a cap, etc?

geochuck
September 5th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Fergus Ontario outdoor pool was always kept open during the winter. They had a great swimming club. Tge coach made sure their club had a place to swim. The pool was operated by the Beatty Washiing Machine Company. It was even open the day they had a 48 inch snowfall there.

renie
September 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I totally feel your pain. At least you got to swim until Labor Day. Our outdoor pool closed August 15th. I have been indoors for 3 weeks. It is awful.:cry:

Oh, that is really horrible.

renie
September 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM
You guys will probably hate me for this, but our outdoor 25 meter pool opens for the season May 1 and is open until Sept. 30. :banana: It's starting to get a bit cool (and dark at first) for the 6:00-8:30 morning lap swim, but the 11:30-1:30 and 5:30-6:30 lap swims are great. :groovy:

Oh, I am sooooooooo jealous - are you anywhere near NJ? I may crash it.:laugh2::laugh2:

renie
September 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Do they heat it year round? I would hate that in the warmer weather.

lanehog
September 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM
The outdoor pools in the NYC area just closed too, and the lifeguards are gone from the beach. (Not that that'll keep us from swimming there...)

I'd never swum in an indoor pool until going away to college in Chicago. I grew up in Miami, never realizing how lucky I was to be able to train in an outdoor 50-meter pool at my disposal within a five-minute drive of my house. In the summer, it was ridiculously hot; the water temp would get above 86 or so, and we'd jockey for the end lanes where sprinklers would shoot cold water. It was refreshing to swim backstroke under the sprinklers. And we had to deal with daily thunderstorms every afternoon, usually right around the time we were in the water.

In the winter, the heater was perpetually broken, so we'd get to practice in the morning and it'd be 55 degrees and dark out and the pool would be just above 70. It was COLD. Some of the guys on our team with very little body fat would literally turn blue and have to get out. (That never was the case with me...)

But that was far, far preferable to the 20-yard basement pool that awaited me in Chicago. So depressing. I missed seeing the sun rise during my workout. That and my year-round tan.

renie
September 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
The outdoor pools in the NYC area just closed too, and the lifeguards are gone from the beach. (Not that that'll keep us from swimming there...)

I'd never swum in an indoor pool until going away to college in Chicago. I grew up in Miami, never realizing how lucky I was to be able to train in an outdoor 50-meter pool at my disposal within a five-minute drive of my house. In the summer, it was ridiculously hot; the water temp would get above 86 or so, and we'd jockey for the end lanes where sprinklers would shoot cold water. It was refreshing to swim backstroke under the sprinklers. And we had to deal with daily thunderstorms every afternoon, usually right around the time we were in the water.

In the winter, the heater was perpetually broken, so we'd get to practice in the morning and it'd be 55 degrees and dark out and the pool would be just above 70. It was COLD. Some of the guys on our team with very little body fat would literally turn blue and have to get out. (That never was the case with me...)

But that was far, far preferable to the 20-yard basement pool that awaited me in Chicago. So depressing. I missed seeing the sun rise during my workout. That and my year-round tan.

Oh, I hear you! I forgot to mention that -- everyone thinks I spend all my time on some exotic beach - they don't believe me when I tell them it's because I swim 4000 yards a day outside. So, it actually went down to 40 in Miami at night? :confused: I didn't think it got that cold. Did they shut off the heat in the summer I hope? That's what I hate about vacationing in Florida - it will be 85 out, sun is blazing, and the !@#$#() pool is heated! I could swim inside if I wanted to be overheated while swimming. Makes no sense to me at all.

lanehog
September 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Oh, I hear you! I forgot to mention that -- everyone thinks I spend all my time on some exotic beach - they don't believe me when I tell them it's because I swim 4000 yards a day outside. So, it actually went down to 40 in Miami at night? :confused: I didn't think it got that cold. Did they shut off the heat in the summer I hope? That's what I hate about vacationing in Florida - it will be 85 out, sun is blazing, and the !@#$#() pool is heated! I could swim inside if I wanted to be overheated while swimming. Makes no sense to me at all.

The heater was definitely off in the summer. It was mostly off in the winter too. :( As for the hot pool issue, you have to understand that Floridians like it bathwater temp. I don't think my mom will dip a toe in a body of water unless it's well above 80 degrees.

It got cold at least a couple of times each winter. The temperature pretty much holds steady at around 72 degrees from December to February, unless a cold front comes in and the temp dips down to the high 40s overnight/low 50s. I remember some days when it would get into the 30s at night, but those were few and far between.

Slowswim
September 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
As for the hot pool issue, you have to understand that Floridians like it bathwater temp. I don't think my mom will dip a toe in a body of water unless it's well above 80 degrees.

You got that right! I'm heading home in October and expect to get in several OW 80+ degree swims!:groovy::groovy::groovy:

talne621
September 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
masters practices are starting at Rutgers on monday.

aztimm
September 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
You're complaining about 82 degree water being too warm? I wish we could have water that cool....when the air temp gets to 110+ in summer here, we're lucky if the pool water is below 90. I was in my backyard pool yesterday, and it felt refreshing at 86.

I'm another year-round outdoor pool swimmer. The water has actually started getting somewhat comfortable this week, although I think I'd love it around 75. As someone else said, it is great for much of the time, but not too pleasant on those chilly winter mornings, when the outside temp can get in the 20s, you have to watch for patches of ice getting to/from the pool, and it is an especially tough walk from pool to locker room when done.

Although we swim at the ASU pool facilities, they actually do a pretty good job on water temp (when they can). They use aerators in summer, heat/covers in winter, but not overly warm. There seems to be a temp battle, even among our team....sprinters want it to be 85, distance likes it much cooler. I'd much rather swim outside, I love the fresh air...although I do miss following ceiling tiles when I do back.

Midas
September 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I guess I'll stop complaining. In my neck of the woods, it never gets that warm so the pool is always around 75 degrees, which seems fine. In the winter, it'll be cold, but very rarely freezing. I do love swimming outside. The only drawback, other than temperature, is as aztimm points out--backstroke is tough. At my pool, unless you go pre-dawn, you can only swim backstroke in one direction--the rising sun will blind you in the other.

renie
September 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
masters practices are starting at Rutgers on monday.

Water temp?

renie
September 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I guess I'll stop complaining. In my neck of the woods, it never gets that warm so the pool is always around 75 degrees, which seems fine. In the winter, it'll be cold, but very rarely freezing. I do love swimming outside. The only drawback, other than temperature, is as aztimm points out--backstroke is tough. At my pool, unless you go pre-dawn, you can only swim backstroke in one direction--the rising sun will blind you in the other.

Oh, that is my FAVORITE temperature! 75-76! Perfect. When I do back, I just try to graze my arm along the lane line lightly every once in awhile and manage to stay straight most of the time. Gotta watch for the guard table so I don't crash into the wall though - sometimes I start daydreaming.:rofl:

3strokes
September 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I can't believe the summer is over - why do our outdoor pools all close on Labor Day?

Lucky you! Ours closed on Monday (last day was Sunday Aug 26, last day of a lousy week, weather-wise, cloudy, very few sunny breaks, while I was at work, with the cloud coverage coming in right as I left the office.)
The the whole week of Aug 26 right up to the long weekend was gorgeous and no outdoors pool.

To add insult to misery, my usual indoors pool is closed for three weeks of maintenance and the other one I use as an alternate was not too crowded last Friday but I felt like a ton of bricks. I stopped swimming after 20 minutes. Yesterday, I went there again and I knew from the first two lengths that I would have a great day swimming; long easy strokes, moving seemingly without effort, one of those days when you feel you could do a PB. Then half the population of the City showed up (the lower IQ and SA (swimming ability) half). There were about 40 swimmers per lane (of six) in a 25m long pool. Life-guards' IQ even lower. No desire whatsoever to ask extremely slow swimmers to move down, even just one lane from the fast lane to the second fastest. No desire to ask dead slow swimmers to try and swim (swim? Ha Ha!) to the side of the lane to give others a chance to overtake them. Every time I waited for a sufficient gap, letting a swimmer push off and trying to push off when he/she reached a point some 10 to 12 meters away so I wouldn't have to hit my hands on their feet (or worse, between their widely scissoring, and 62 degrees sinking, legs) at the other end, someone, standing by me would push off and cancel the gap. And if I swam my usual, thinking, "OK. I'll just overtake him/her within 5 to 7 meters of the push-off", I'd run into two (land) turtles racing (overtaking) each other coming the other way (at a speed (OK, not speed, but "rate") where they would need an 80m long pool to overtake one another), leaving enough space on my side of the lane for an anorexic eel. About 30 minutes into the swim, I decided that my blood pressure had risen enough and that I did NOT need to have to change my Forum name to 4Strokes.

Don't worry, Forumites; I'm not going to repeat this post in the .....rant thread.

3strokes
September 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
not that anyone has written an excel based countdown timer that runs on their computer desktop or anything
;)

Good idea.

Now, if I had such a program, I'd be counting down to my own favorite, one meet per year: The Winterlude (sometime in Feb.........indoors, naturally), the only LCM event in Ottawa.

Now, how depressing is that? Looking forward to February in Ottawa!

renie
September 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Lucky you! Ours closed on Monday (last day was Sunday Aug 26, last day of a lousy week, weather-wise, cloudy, very few sunny breaks, while I was at work, with the cloud coverage coming in right as I left the office.)
The the whole week of Aug 26 right up to the long weekend was gorgeous and no outdoors pool.

To add insult to misery, my usual indoors pool is closed for three weeks of maintenance and the other one I use as an alternate was not too crowded last Friday but I felt like a ton of bricks. I stopped swimming after 20 minutes. Yesterday, I went there again and I knew from the first two lengths that I would have a great day swimming; long easy strokes, moving seemingly without effort, one of those days when you feel you could do a PB. Then half the population of the City showed up (the lower IQ and SA (swimming ability) half). There were about 40 swimmers per lane (of six) in a 25m long pool. Life-guards' IQ even lower. No desire whatsoever to ask extremely slow swimmers to move down, even just one lane from the fast lane to the second fastest. No desire to ask dead slow swimmers to try and swim (swim? Ha Ha!) to the side of the lane to give others a chance to overtake them. Every time I waited for a sufficient gap, letting a swimmer push off and trying to push off when he/she reached a point some 10 to 12 meters away so I wouldn't have to hit my hands on their feet (or worse, between their widely scissoring, and 62 degrees sinking, legs) at the other end, someone, standing by me would push off and cancel the gap. And if I swam my usual, thinking, "OK. I'll just overtake him/her within 5 to 7 meters of the push-off", I'd run into two (land) turtles racing (overtaking) each other coming the other way (at a speed (OK, not speed, but "rate") where they would need an 80m long pool to overtake one another), leaving enough space on my side of the lane for an anorexic eel. About 30 minutes into the swim, I decided that my blood pressure had risen enough and that I did NOT need to have to change my Forum name to 4Strokes.

Don't worry, Forumites; I'm not going to repeat this post in the .....rant thread.

LOL, that is too funny, (not really) and sooooo accurate! Isn't there SOMEWHERE else you can swim? That is awful. My pool gets like that maybe once a year and it's enough to scare away all those people who suddenly appear and try to swim with the real swimmers. I am so sorry your pool closed so eary--I remember that week -- cloudy, rainy, miserable. (I actually swam outside until our pool water dipped to 69 - not a problem if the temp outside was warm with sunshine but just one trip indoors cured me!) Then the last week was absolutely perfection. If I had to swim inside I'd be miserable. That's truly a perfect rant post--you should put it there!:D

MikeGarr
October 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Drive to the shore and swim in the ocean .....
It's still incredibly warm for this time of year.
We swam today and no wetsuits!

chaos
October 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Drive to the shore and swim in the ocean .....
It's still incredibly warm for this time of year.
We swam today and no wetsuits!

ditto.
last sunday i had a lovely 5k swim at brighton beach 66.6 degrees.

all this week have been getting into one of the lakes up here which i will not name as swimming is not permitted.....65 degrees. when the air temp is in the 80's, the h2o feels even warmer.

Midas
October 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm a West Coaster who swims outdoors year-round (well, I just got back in the pool so I guess I should say that I *will* swim outdoors year-round). I'm in Maryland this weekend and swam in an indoor pool for the first time since starting back up again, and I now 100% sympathize with you cold-weather folks. I'm still feeling the chlorine in my lungs 10 hours later. I don't know how you guys do it (or how I did it as a kid). :notworthy:

Blackbeard's Peg
October 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm still feeling the chlorine in my lungs 10 hours later. I don't know how you guys do it (or how I did it as a kid).

Hehe, yeah, I'll tell you how we do it - I, at least, swim elsewhere ;)