PDA

View Full Version : Back in the pool after 22 years!!!!!!!!!!!

cathlaur
September 9th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Well I did it. Friday morning I bit the bullet and joined the Masters Program in my area. I had talked about doing it for so long but just never did. There was always a good excuse NOT to. My children are older now , grade 7 and 9 and just do not require the constant care small ones do. I had thyroid cancer in both sides with 2 separate surgeries and Radiation. I am now Cancer free and heavier due to the thyroid being non existant. Yes I am on meds but they dont work like the real thing does.

I workout tons but it was not enough.

I am 5'10 large boned female who used to be a pretty good swimmer.
SO I took the leap. I was proud of myself. My first day out I did 2000 metres or 80 laps of the pool. I could barely walk I felt like lead. I even have muscles I did not know I had :rofl:. I mean ouch.

As I have not swam competitively for years I was suprised at how they use fins so much. I purchased a pair on line Keifers silicone trainers. I hope they work well. I should get them this week.

I was very excited to find this forum. It is just what I need.

I live in Ontario Canada

I am heading to the pool tomorrow again.

The Masters program I joined as swims Mon thru Saturday 5:30 am til 7 and Mon thru Fri 6 to 7 pm. SO lots of options.

I hope the weight comes off , I get in shape and I meet some new people

Katie

geochuck
September 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Fins one of the reasons I do not workout with a masters club. Sore muscles another reason. I had a 25 year layoff. However I taught swimming during my layoff and only did very small stroke demonstrations.

I started with the local master swim club. I was so crippled up after 6 weeks I could not walk. I tried a couple more clubs. The last coach said You have to do everything we tell you to do. I told her what she could do.

I do not think anyone should come out of a workout with sore muscles.

cathlaur
September 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I see you that you are a fellow canuck.

Hi there

I was expecting to be sore. I mean you cannot go from nothing to swimming and not be a little sore. I know that if I don't join a program then I would not go and would not optimize my workouts as I would not know where to start.

The Masters program I joined is the Guelph Marlins. They specifically tell you that we are masters, here for fun and exercise , they put a program together for what you want. I was impressed. I guess time will tell. You can be as competitive or non competitive as you want.

Though I have not been in the pool for 22 years ( lengths) we have a pool and I swim in lakes a lot.

It is all so interesting.

Thanks for you input.

I really like this forum

Katie

islandsox
September 10th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Here's what I have to say on your return to swimming: YAY :cheerleader::cheerleader:. I used Zoomer fins for 20 years and loved the strength they gave my legs, especially for backstroke. Some advocate them, some don't as you already know. Welcome back to the world of water!!

Donna

cathlaur
September 11th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks Donna

I had my second workout today. It feels good. My cardio needs to get better. But that will come with time I am sure.

It feels good to get back in the pool

Katie