PDA

View Full Version : i need help...

emoney
September 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Well i have a 500 yard swim to do in under 15 min and im not a real hardcore swimmer. Over all im in good physical shape i run and work out but i need some help on getting ready for this swim i have about a month and a half to prepare for this so any tips would be much appreciated

geochuck
September 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM
15 min for 500 yard swim?

How long does it take you to swim 100 yards?

Non swimmers could easily do that. Just swim for 15 minutes and see how far you can go. Take a swimming lesson or 2 if you need to.

I would start with doing 5 X 5min swims and see how far you can swim in 5 minutes.

Hoosier
September 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I would agree that the "aerobic" part of the swim is not that bad. So if you are in decent shape ... As says Chuck. get a lesson or two. I would spend my time on technique.

okoban
September 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
If you are in good physical condition, you can easily do this. Just a little bit of swimming technique would be enough. Just train a couple of times with a coach. Good luck and give us some feedback during the preparations and after the race.

FindingMyInnerFish
September 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'm a SLOW swimmer (in the 200 free, I think the only person I beat in a masters' meet was in her 80s and she gave me a run for the money). And I do about 600 yards comfortably in about 15 mins. (can never remember my times for 500, but guessing anywhere from 11:30-12:30, depending on how ambitious I feel). If you're fit from running and working out and know how to swim, you'll have it, no prob!

Good luck!

dorothyrde
September 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM
When I first learned to swim, my first 500 was under 15minutes, and I was a total newbie, 38 years old, in fairly decent shape, but overweight. Just stretch it out, use your walls to help you.