PDA

View Full Version : Hit the wall today in practice. Do you eat before you go.

cathlaur
September 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM
WOW I am tired. I hit the wall early in practice today but kept plugging along. I am a 41 year old female who has been out of the water for 22 years ( competitivley). I have been told that is common and it will get better.

How long to build up ones endurance and when does it get easier, though I know you will always have to push yourself. I just see some of the longterm swimmers glidding through the water like it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy. I must admit I am swimming much better than I thought I would be for how long it has been.

I am swimming at 5:30 am. Do you eat before you go? and if so what.

I also have a bit of a lower calf cramp.

Tomorrows practice should be something :thhbbb:. But I am determined to do this.

I need to get in shape lose some weight and just really love the swimming. SIGH

Katie

CreamPuff
September 13th, 2007, 08:07 AM
First, CONGRATS are in order for taking the plunge and not giving up!

You are not alone in "hitting the wall." I hit the wall tons, especially when I started masters after a 12 year break from swimming. You are doing the right thing. Just keep plugging along. I agree in that it will get better. Your body will adapt.

To get through those challenging times where my body is adjusting to increased workload, I eat one power bar gel with 25 mg of caffeine right before my 5:45 AM practice. They help me to keep going and prevent me from cramping up and bonking/ hitting the wall. I think they are about 110 calories. And I don't use them every practice. Just when I'm really tired from doubles. I don't like to eat a lot before swimming as I feel too full from regular food that early in the morning. And I drink lots of water before and during the workout.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get some additional great ideas from this board. Try a few and see what work for you.

geochuck
September 13th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Toast, a protien and a coffee is all I need. It takes about six weeks before you are ready to really work out.

cathlaur
September 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone

6 weekds:cry:/. LOL. I am probably like so many of us I want to be fit now LOL. I will keep plugging along. It is bound to get easier. I HOPE

I will definitley eat something before I leave in the mornings as I was STARVING by the time I got in my van to head to work.

Katie

slknight
September 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I like to have one small bar of some sort, like a Pria bar or Cliff Z-bar. These are around 100-150 calories. Last night, I was hungry and made the mistake of eating two on the way to workout. I felt like I was going to hurl int he middle of a tough set.

Try not to get too frustrated. Just remember that you've been out for 22 years; you're not going to be back in shape overnight. My most recent break was 4 years, and I think it's been pretty tough getting back from that.

MAC swimmer
September 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Geochuck is right. Six weeks until you feel strong. I have to constantly remind myself to swim within my limits--push yourself certainly--but if an interval is too much for me and my stroke starts to fall apart, I back off and miss the send off. Or move down one lane.

BabsVa
September 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Protein shake and coffee. A couple hours before Masters. And a good meal the evening before. Got to waiit a couple hours or else ... if we are doing sprint sets gotta be careful as they are very barf-inducing.

Be careful not to overdo it if you are just getting back into it - don't injure yourself (this is the pot calling the kettle black, you see).

ensignada
September 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I like a Luna bar about 45 minutes before - they've held me and never given me problems when swimming.

cathlaur
September 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone

I have never heard of a Luna bar. I will have to see if we have them here in Ontario Canada. I definitley need something to keep me going.

I can feel muscles I never knew I had LOL. I am sure by next May I will be in much much better shape and slimmer.

Katie

Blackbeard's Peg
September 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Katie - don't let that "wall" get you down. It is just your mind and body trying to play games with you. The best feeling is when you're able to hit that wall, swim through it, and then speed through it at the end of practice. :bolt:

Be glad you're actually in the pool, though! :frustrated: keep up the good work!

Oh, and one of our fellow forumites may be able to fill you in on Luna Bars... Julie???

swimshark
September 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Listen to Blakbeard's Peg. Give yourself time and you'll be able to swim through it one day. I get up at 4am and eat a banana. On the way to practice I eat an energy bar. I swim 4:30-6. UsuallyI can make it a few hours on the banana and energy bar.

Welcome back to swimming

Alison

cathlaur
September 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks Blackbeards Peg and swimshark

I am glad I am back in the pool ( I think LOL) I had thyroid cancer and treatment that finished last year. I am up in weight and need to do this. I know that swimming has to and will become part of my life. I am competitive by nature so that is a good thing. I wont let myself stop.

So my goals for this year are to continue swimming 3 to 4 times a week and continue weight training the other days as well as some cardio. If that does not help get the weight of I dont knwo what will.

Okay Swimshart 4:30:bow: holy . I thought 5:30 was early enough. GEESH that is early. I plan on swimming Mon and thurs nights from 6 - 7 pm and Tuesday and Friday mornings from 5:30 to 7.

I will keep you posted on how it is going. I am very tired tonight. I swam then walked 2.2 k's at lunch. I have to go home and cut the lawn as it is going to rain tomorrow. So I think that is enough physical activitiy for today.

Katie

swimshark
September 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Katie, you go girl! I only have thyroid disease. I can only imagine how hard fighting thyroid cancer is.

Alison

cathlaur
September 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks Alison

It was tough but I got through it 2 surgeries , radiation and then getting my meds right. I feel fabulous so the meds must be right. I workout lots so there is some toning under the flab. I am 5 10 and large boned and overweight.

Did you have any problems with weightgain once you were diagnosed with thyroid disease? Do you think the swimming will help?

Katie

swimshark
September 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks Alison

It was tough but I got through it 2 surgeries , radiation and then getting my meds right. I feel fabulous so the meds must be right. I workout lots so there is some toning under the flab. I am 5 10 and large boned and overweight.

Did you have any problems with weightgain once you were diagnosed with thyroid disease? Do you think the swimming will help?

Katie

A survivor! :woot:

I gained a lot of weight after losing a lot, too I lost 25 lbs and was down to bones when I was diagnosed. I then gained it all back and a lot more. I was over weight. I was doing ballet once a week and aerobics 3 times a week and still gaining. Within 8 months of starting back in the pool I lost the weight and was down to my original size. Having a baby has changed that a bit but I can still fit into my 12 year old wedding dress :) Yes, I think the swimming will help you a lot.

I can tell when my meds are off (just off 2 months ago) so watch your body and listen to it. (this from a person who tapped her wrist for 4 months to make it through LC season!)

Alison

imspoiled
September 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Katie-

I've been back in the water for three years now, and there are days/nights/weeks when I still hit that wall.

Give yourself time to get back in the swing. Practice should never be easy, but it will get better with time. Stick with it and soon you'll be complaining about bad swims or being off your best practice times.

Dana

cathlaur
September 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks Dana I will give it time. I was very tired today. I came home, got dinner in the oven and then cut the lawn. I am heading out now with my oldest as she has physio for an ankle injury.

I was so tired I thought nope cannot go tomorow. BUT then I thought that is ridiculous so I am going. I wont swim Saturday or Sunday so I can rest then.

Alison I was hyper thyroid originally too. I had a huge goiter that was pushing on my throat. I hate it. I named it 'Ned the alien":lmao: anyway it was then they found the cancer and I gained weight after my surgery. Though I feel better heavier than I did hyper. That was nasty.

I am glad to hear that the swimming helped. I am hoping for weightloss, fitness and meeting new people and basicially just challenging myself. I think it is important that my girls see their mother challenge herself, because they think I am old LOL LOL LOL.

Congrats on having a baby.

Katie

Donna
September 13th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Katie, I too was out for 20 years and came back overweight (220), with lower back problems. Now 3 years laters I have significantly sped up my swimming and just recently hit the 165 mark.

Swimming can definitely get you the weight loss you what but the key is to keep your metabolism up. I found that 6-7 small meals per day is much better than 3 large ones. I usually have a Boost shake on the way to practice in the morning. If you push yourself in workout you will find you won't really have to watch the eating too closely and the weight will still come off.

Good luck and keep us up on your progress.

3strokes
September 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Oh, and one of our fellow forumites may be able to fill you in on Luna Bars... Julie???

OK. I am not Julie. (Actually didn't even know we had an Ontarian Julie on-board) but if ever Julie, or any other Ontarian, knows where Luna bars can be found (other than on the Moon), I'd like to give them (the bars, not the Ontarians) a try.

cathlaur
September 14th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Donna

Thanks for responding. That is awesome. You have done wonderful. What a lot of weight you have lost but I am sure the best thing is how you feel. Strong and powerful and in shape. It sure gives me hope. I am excited about my journey. I have to watch what I am eating as I find I am starving so I dont want to overeat. It is all a balance. Of course I want the weight off now LOL

I am pleased to say I swam 4 times this week. I think I am doing pretty well. The coach told me today that I was doing well. To give it a month to 6 weeks and I would be keeping up with the majority for the drills. It is all good. I did not want to go today as yesterdays swim was so hard and I was exhausted. But I got up at 4:50 and hit the pool. Today was much better. So I am glad I did it. I am going to go for a bike ride tomorrow and Sunday. Just 5 k's but that is better than nothing

Hey 3 strokes. Another Ontarian. I am swimming out of Guelph so we are pretty far apart from each other. Still good to meet you. Yes I want to know where to get the bars to.

Katie

islandsox
September 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Congratulations on your commitment to physical fitness. I am one of those larger gals who swims piles and piles and I don't lose any weight, but I'll tell you why: I put the calories back. So, weightloss through swimming is absolutely a given if one monitors their food intake which I don't.

However, because I normally swim 6 miles 4 or 5x week, my body is changing in appearance at a rapid rate. And I do hit the wall, usually at mile 3 or 4, but with pushing through it, mile 5 feels much better.

I usually eat a yogurt, banana, and a little oatmeal before my long swims. But one thing I want to mention here is to always listen to your body's fatigue level. I can tell which days to take off of swimming and which ones I shouldn't. Training smart means staying safe with little downtime due to any injuries. And you are definitely exercising a whole lot. I commend you for that. I'll bet you already feel better.

Donna

cathlaur
September 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks Donna for all the great info.

I had a little snack this morning before swimming and it was much much better. So now I know I need to do that.

Thanks for being so honest about your weight and inches. I know for a fact that I will lose inches. I just hope some pounds go with it. I am definitley eating better than the summer. Summer is tough we have a pool and you seem to eat more junk and beverages than you do in the fall and winter.

Even if the weight does not come off fast ( thyroid problems) I will be happy to see some toning happen.

When did you start swimming? When did you notice the iches or body changes happen

Thanks for the encouragement. I am pretty happy with myself today but sooooooooo happy I am not swimming until Monday

Katie

geochuck
September 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM
cathlaur

Do they still use lugols solution of Iodine to activate the thyroid.

Lugols is Aquius Iodine. It is was also used to give endurence to front running horses so they could finish their races.

cathlaur
September 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Hi there

I am not sure if they use that or not I have never heard of it before.

I dont have a thyroid at all after two surgeris and radioactive iodine for thyroid cancer. So all I have is a litte miracle pill that I take everyday. Though I feel good the synthetic pill will never be as good as having a real working thyroid.

Katie

swimshark
September 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Hi there

I am not sure if they use that or not I have never heard of it before.

I dont have a thyroid at all after two surgeris and radioactive iodine for thyroid cancer. So all I have is a litte miracle pill that I take everyday. Though I feel good the synthetic pill will never be as good as having a real working thyroid.

Katie

I did the radioactive iodine as well. Wish we could have kept the real thing going but thankfully they have a pill for us. :)

One thing I did when I first started swimming again was to eat nothing but fresh fruit the first 4 hours I was awake. I do think that helped me lose the weight. Good luck.

Alison

cathlaur
September 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Alison.

Todays swim was much better. I was glad I went today. I thought about waiting until Monday and then I had thought forget it.

I was thinking of swimming 2 mornings and 2 evenings. But now I am thinking of just the mornings. I really like the coach and then I am done for the day and there can be nooooooooo excuses

Katie

swimshark
September 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I really like the coach and then I am done for the day and there can be nooooooooo excuses

Katie

Good perspective. I love morning workouts.

Alison

islandsox
September 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks Donna for all the great info.

I had a little snack this morning before swimming and it was much much better. So now I know I need to do that.

Thanks for being so honest about your weight and inches. I know for a fact that I will lose inches. I just hope some pounds go with it. I am definitley eating better than the summer. Summer is tough we have a pool and you seem to eat more junk and beverages than you do in the fall and winter.

Even if the weight does not come off fast ( thyroid problems) I will be happy to see some toning happen.

When did you start swimming? When did you notice the iches or body changes happen

Thanks for the encouragement. I am pretty happy with myself today but sooooooooo happy I am not swimming until Monday

Katie

Hi Katie, I've been swimming for 50 years, but this last winter I made the commitment to a 20 mile swim in about a year from now. I really started "training" for this swim in May. Now that it is September, I am noticing my arms are even more defined, my triceps are noticeable, and my tummy and hips are slimming.

It's also interesting that you said you eat more junk food in the summer; I am the opposite. I eat more heavy foods in the winter, or at least I used to because where I live it is sunshine and hot days the year around (except for Hurricane season). Also, since I am swimming so much now, my body does NOT crave sugar unless it is in fruit form. After a swim, I usually want fruit and cheese or fruit and bread. This combination helps me to recover well. And it's amazing that I now crave tons of salads with protein on the side. And I listen to this body of mine!

donna

cathlaur
September 15th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Alison

I dont love the morning swims yet. I am very tired and cranky by the end of the day. I know my body will get used to it. How long do you think it will take to adjust to it. I am up at 4:50 in the pool by 5:30 out at 6:45 and at work for 7:30 then home, kids house etc. BED by 9:30 10:00. So this is all new to me.

I am exhausted today but I went for a 6k bike ride in the wind so that is good.

Donna wow 20 mile swim. 50 years good for you. I swam til I was 19 then lifeguarded and taught lessons through University. Then I stopped. I have a pool at home and swim when we are away BUT NOT THE SAME THING. So heading back to the pool last week was tough emotionally to. I was really nervous. I am glad that is behind me so I can move forward.That is incredible that you are so committed to swimming. I bet you are changeing your body , more defined and trim. That is what really counts. Yup every summer I eat way more we have a pool, we go on vacation, and it is much more social. In the fall winter and spring I am in much more of a routine. The snow flies and people cacoon in their homes.

I am hoping by Christmas to really notice a difference in inches and maybe a few pounds. I will keep you posted.

Katie

swimshark
September 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Katie, on the days you swim, try to drink some chocolate milk after practice. It should help you later in the day. It takes me about 2 to 3 weeks to get used to the early mornings once I've had a break. Stick with it and you'll do great.

Alison

cathlaur
September 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Chocolate milk ?

WOW I need something that is for sure. I think it is just all the extra exercise and getting up early. I know in time my body will adjust

Thanks Alison

Katie

geochuck
September 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Give me Coca Cola after a swim, nicely balanced sugar and I can burp away the extended tummy if I happened to swallow air..

Allen Stark
September 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Alison is right about the chocolate milk. It is very important to eat something within 20 min. of finishing your workout to repleniish muscle glycogen. A 4:1 carbs:protein is ideal.There are energy drinks with this ratio,but a study was done that chocolate milk was just as good and cheaper.

geochuck
September 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
The way we did the glycogen replacement was to take vitamin e. I was told not to use any iron additives because iron depletes the glycogen.

cathlaur
September 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Wow

So much to learn. LOL

I will try the chocolate milk. Once I am done swimming I have a 30 min drive to work. I have to kind of back track ( which is one of the reasons I did not swim before, because I used it as an excuse, not this year) so I need something while I am driving.

Todays swim was tough but awesome. I really enjoyed it. If I was not swimming with a Masters program I would not be doing 3/4 of what I am.
I feel like I am over the hump and just really getting into it. What a great feeling. Now if I can just get used to getting up at 4:50 , working, home, kids life and bed LOL.

Katie

swimshark
September 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Todays swim was tough but awesome. I really enjoyed it. If I was not swimming with a Masters program I would not be doing 3/4 of what I am.
I feel like I am over the hump and just really getting into it. What a great feeling. Now if I can just get used to getting up at 4:50 , working, home, kids life and bed LOL.

Katie

Katie, glad you enjoyed it today. Not sure about up your way but here Costco sells Horizon chocolate milk that does not have to be refrigerated. You could take one in your bag and drink it on the way to work. By the time I get home and shower it's past the 20 min and yet I still feel better when I drink it, even if it's an hour later.

I'll be back in the water tomorrow with my kids team. I love swimming with them :)

Alison

cathlaur
September 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks Alison I will look for that. Since the weather is getting cold it will cool the milk down while I am swimming.

My girls used to swim but alas they both did not enjoy it. The oldest is a good swimmer to. SIGH. She plays rep soccer and just loves it. My other ones loves to sing and plays houseleague soccer and does plays.
We have a pool so we do swim together lots but it is not the same as this.

Both my girls are really proud of me for doing this. I hope in the next few months I go to a meet and they can come watch me for a change:groovy:.

How old are you children?

Mine are in grade 7 and 9

Katie

swimshark
September 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks Alison I will look for that. Since the weather is getting cold it will cool the milk down while I am swimming.

My girls used to swim but alas they both did not enjoy it. The oldest is a good swimmer to. SIGH. She plays rep soccer and just loves it. My other ones loves to sing and plays houseleague soccer and does plays.
We have a pool so we do swim together lots but it is not the same as this.

Both my girls are really proud of me for doing this. I hope in the next few months I go to a meet and they can come watch me for a change:groovy:.

How old are you children?

Mine are in grade 7 and 9

Katie

Soccer is cool. My son loves to kick the ball around. Maybe a future soccer player. I only have 1 and he's a little guy at 2 years old. I love it when he comes to my meets but he doesn't understand just yet. Having your kids there to cheer you on will be the best feeling. I'm glad they are proud of you. That is another good mom feeling.

Alison

marksman
September 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Alison is right about the chocolate milk. It is very important to eat something within 20 min. of finishing your workout to repleniish muscle glycogen. A 4:1 carbs:protein is ideal.There are energy drinks with this ratio,but a study was done that chocolate milk was just as good and cheaper.

I was reading something similar about the chocolate milk. The article also suggested, pre-workout, to consume around 400 calories of low-glycemic index foods to avoid too much insulin while swimming and a possible crash in blood sugar.

Something I've noticed about my own swimming is that I won't crash while swimming, I'll crash on the drive home and I'll eat *way* too much afterwards, contributing to weight gain. Perhaps some dilute carbs during swimming will help me avoid this.

Syd
September 17th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I was reading something similar about the chocolate milk. The article also suggested, pre-workout, to consume around 400 calories of low-glycemic index foods to avoid too much insulin while swimming and a possible crash in blood sugar.

Something I've noticed about my own swimming is that I won't crash while swimming, I'll crash on the drive home and I'll eat *way* too much afterwards, contributing to weight gain. Perhaps some dilute carbs during swimming will help me avoid this.

Okay, I tried the chocolate milk thing yesterday after a 90min practice. I drank it within 20mins of getting out the pool but it made me feel ill. I started to sweat and felt nauseaous. Perhaps I drank it too quickly. It didn't taste off or anything like that. Maybe it was totally unrelated and I would have felt that way regardless of whether I drank the milk or not. I don't know. Anyone have a similar experience?

Syd

Allen Stark
September 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Do you drink milk often.80% of the world is lactose intolerant.

Syd
September 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Do you drink milk often.80% of the world is lactose intolerant.

Perhaps that is it. I don't drink milk that often. Used to when I was a kid but now only on the odd occasion when I eat cereal and even then I don't add a lot of milk. Perhaps I will try eating a small snack with my chocolate milk next time. Thanks for you reply.

Syd

swimshark
September 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Perhaps that is it. I don't drink milk that often. Used to when I was a kid but now only on the odd occasion when I eat cereal and even then I don't add a lot of milk. Perhaps I will try eating a small snack with my chocolate milk next time. Thanks for you reply.

Syd

Or maybe wait a bit longer after practice to drink it. As I said before it's usually an hour beore I get to drink it and yet I can still feel the positive effects. But then again I drink at least 8 oz of milk daily so my body is used to it.

Alison

ALM
September 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM
USMS's very own Joel Stager performed study described below.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...3299&src=nldne

Chocolate Milk May Improve Recovery After Exercise
News Author: Laurie Barclay, MD
CME Author: Désirée Lie, MD, MSEd

Feb. 27, 2006 — Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink that improves recovery, according to the results of a small, randomized trial reported in the February issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

"Our study indicates that chocolate milk is a strong alternative to other commercial sports drinks in helping athletes recover from strenuous, energy-depleting exercise," coauthor Joel M. Stager, PhD, from Indiana University in Bloomington, said in a news release. "Chocolate milk contains an optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio, which is critical for helping refuel tired muscles after strenuous exercise and can enable athletes to exercise at a high intensity during subsequent workouts."

On 3 separate days, 9 male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout followed by 4 hours of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to exhaustion at 70% maximum oxygen consumption (VO2max). In a single-blind, randomized design, the men drank equivalent volumes of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or carbohydrate replacement drink (CR) immediately after the first exercise bout and 2 hours of recovery. The chocolate milk and CR had equivalent carbohydrate content. Primary endpoints were time to exhaustion, average heart rate, rating of perceived exertion, and total work for the endurance exercise.

Time to exhaustion and total work were significantly greater for chocolate milk and for FR trials than for CR trials, suggesting that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between 2 exhausting exercise bouts.

Study limitations include the possibility that the 4-hour recovery period limited the complete digestion of the complex carbohydrates contained in CR.

"The results of this study suggest that chocolate milk, with its high carbohydrate and protein content, may be considered an effective alternative to commercial FR and CR for recovery from exhausting, glycogen-depleting exercise," the authors write.

The Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc, supported this study in part.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006;16:78-91

Syd
September 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Ha! Today thought I would go with a different brand. Bought it at a small convenience store next to where I work. Should have checked the date but didn't. When I opened it found it was sour. When I went back to change it they could only give me my money back as it was the only bottle. Not having much luck with this chocolate milk thing. Will try again tomorrow. Would Ovaltine qualify as chocolate milk? I like Ovaltine?

Syd

cathlaur
September 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Alison ah a 2 year old. I remember those days you are busy LOL LOL. Good for you for swimming when you have a little one. I kind of wish I had kept it up or started earlier. I guess better late than never.

I LOVE soccer so it is all good. Yes having the girls proud of me is a great feeling.

Syd you are not having any luck with the chocolate milk. I have not tried it yet but plan on it.

Marksman I too find it really hard once I sit down in the van. I feel really tired and kind of heavy. Once I get to work I am better. I only started two weeks ago so my body is still wondering what the heck I am doing to it. I am still learning about what it needs to perform well. But I am feeling stronger and hope to lose some weight. I am really trying to watch what I eat as I need to lose a good 20 to 30 pounds.

Thanks for all the info on chocolate milk everyone

Katie

knelson
September 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Would Ovaltine qualify as chocolate milk? I like Ovaltine?

They should call it Roundtine...

I drink Carnation Instant Breakfast sometimes after a workout.

swimshark
September 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM
They should call it Roundtine...

I drink Carnation Instant Breakfast sometimes after a workout.

Carnation sounds like a good idea. This morning it was cold here so i had warmed up chocolate and milk. Yum

Katie, right now exercising is eas. I do it when he's sleeping. It's going to get harder when he's waking up earlier. Not looking forward to those days.

Alison

inklaire
September 19th, 2007, 01:58 AM
OK. I am not Julie. (Actually didn't even know we had an Ontarian Julie on-board) but if ever Julie, or any other Ontarian, knows where Luna bars can be found (other than on the Moon), I'd like to give them (the bars, not the Ontarians) a try.

Don't know about Ontario, but they're in grocery stores in BC.

I just tried one today, after reading this thread. They are surprisingly delicious.

cathlaur
September 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I will definitley have to take a look for them and buy some Chocolate milk at Costco as well.

Alison I had a hard time getting the exercise in until I could leave the girls on their own in the mornings. My hubby is a correctional officer and was out of the house early or still working night shifts when the swims were on. But now that they dont need me in the morning I have so much more time for me:groovy:. It is great. I am still struggling with how tired I am at night but I hope that changes in the next few weeks.

I got my new Kiefer silicone training fins in the mail yesterday. I am so excited as I did not have my own and sometimes there were none for me to use when we needed them for certain drills. Kiefer goes by colour and foot size mine are bright yello:lmao:. They are kind of bright. Go figure I had to have the bright ones. My youngest thinks they are cool and at least I will be different. LOL I cannot wait to use them. I need to get some hand paddles to

Katie

geochuck
September 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Don't know about Ontario, but they're in grocery stores in BC.

I just tried one today, after reading this thread. They are surprisingly delicious.

inklaire - How did you like the hail storm yesterday in the Lower Mainland. Or do you live elsewhere in BC.

swimshark
September 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I will definitley have to take a look for them and buy some Chocolate milk at Costco as well.

Alison I had a hard time getting the exercise in until I could leave the girls on their own in the mornings. My hubby is a correctional officer and was out of the house early or still working night shifts when the swims were on. But now that they dont need me in the morning I have so much more time for me:groovy:. It is great. I am still struggling with how tired I am at night but I hope that changes in the next few weeks.

I got my new Kiefer silicone training fins in the mail yesterday. I am so excited as I did not have my own and sometimes there were none for me to use when we needed them for certain drills. Kiefer goes by colour and foot size mine are bright yello:lmao:. They are kind of bright. Go figure I had to have the bright ones. My youngest thinks they are cool and at least I will be different. LOL I cannot wait to use them. I need to get some hand paddles to

Katie

Don't you love going to praatice with new stuff to play with? I just got 2 new suits and they are making my 4ams a bit brighter (and blinding everyone else). Enjoy the fins.

my son sleeps until 8am. I swim 4:30-6, get home at 6:30 to kiss my husband good-bye before his hour commute to work (love living in DC - NOT). As long as Matthew sleeps passed my shower, we're good. My husband is a former LEO so I remember those night shifts. Now he supports LE through the Treasury Dept. No Canadian work, though :(

Enjoy your next swim. I'll be in tomorrow morning.

Alison

cathlaur
September 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
YOU SWIM AT 4:30 AM:cheerleader:WOW

I thought 5:30 was early enough. I do my workout then head to work for 7:30 am. It will get better right.

Yes new toys are fun even if they are yellow. LOL. I could use a couple new suits myself. But will wait until I really need them.

Have a good swim tomorrow morning.

Katie

swimshark
September 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
YOU SWIM AT 4:30 AM:cheerleader:WOW

I thought 5:30 was early enough. I do my workout then head to work for 7:30 am. It will get better right.

Yes new toys are fun even if they are yellow. LOL. I could use a couple new suits myself. But will wait until I really need them.

Have a good swim tomorrow morning.

Katie

Yup, 4:30. Sad that I go to bed at 8pm! But then I can get in a full workout and my husband is not late for work. If I practice with the masters it's 5:30-6:30 and then he's late by 30 or more min.

This site has awesome suits http://www.eqswimwear.com/ I get her grab bag ones. They are lycra but last and last. I have one that is over a year old and I'm still wearing it.

Alison

Slowswim
September 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Yup, 4:30. Sad that I go to bed at 8pm! But then I can get in a full workout and my husband is not late for work. If I practice with the masters it's 5:30-6:30 and then he's late by 30 or more min.
Alison

Me too. I'm in the water by 5am, on my bike by 6am (group ride ~20 miles), then back in the pool around 7 to finish and cool down.

The difference is I don't go to bed until 10:30-11pm. I grew up a night owl and can't shake it.

Syd
September 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Me too. I'm in the water by 5am, on my bike by 6am (group ride ~20 miles), then back in the pool around 7 to finish and cool down.

The difference is I don't go to bed until 10:30-11pm. I grew up a night owl and can't shake it.
I am full of admiration for all you early risers. I used to be able to do that: get up at 5:30, bake a loaf of bread, do my Royal Canadian Airforce Flying exercises (5BX Plan) and off to work. I always used to do my main exercises in the afternoon though. Then it used to be a run or an open water swim in a dam. Somehow I have a much better training session if I exercise in the afternoon. I think it has to do with the fact that my body is really warmed up by then. My favourite time to train is between 4 and 6p.m. I have the most energy then.

Syd

inklaire
September 19th, 2007, 10:02 PM
inklaire - How did you like the hail storm yesterday in the Lower Mainland. Or do you live elsewhere in BC.

I heard about that, but missed it. I do believe we had some *clouds* here yesterday at about that time. ;)

I live in Victoria actually.

geochuck
September 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Syd the 5BX - RCAF fitness exercises still one of the best dryland fitness programs around http://www.gettingfitagain.com/ you can download it from this site.

I am full of admiration for all you early risers. I used to be able to do that: get up at 5:30, bake a loaf of bread, do my Royal Canadian Airforce Flying exercises (5BX Plan) and off to work. I always used to do my main exercises in the afternoon though. Then it used to be a run or an open water swim in a dam. Somehow I have a much better training session if I exercise in the afternoon. I think it has to do with the fact that my body is really warmed up by then. My favourite time to train is between 4 and 6p.m. I have the most energy then.

Syd

Syd
September 20th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Syd the 5BX - RCAF fitness exercises still one of the best dryland fitness programs around http://www.gettingfitagain.com/ you can download it from this site.
Absolutely George. It's a wonderful programme. Thanks for that link by the way. My paperback copy of the plan has completely fallen to pieces.

Syd

geochuck
September 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM
That site also has the 10BX plan for women, which is quite different.

cathlaur
September 20th, 2007, 09:57 AM
WOW Syd is a really early riser to. 5:30 is the earliest time we can swim ( THANKGOODNESS) it is a 90 minute session. I do 75 mins as I have to get ready for work. It is great. I was going to do some evening ast 6 but you know I am not sure I would go. So I am going to continue with the mornings Mon , Tues and Thurs Fri. They seem to be working. I am still getting used to it but all is well.

Alison thanks for the swimsuit website. Do they fit normally? I would be an xlarge. It is cheaper with the grab bag and kind of neat that you dont know what colour you are getting. I am going to try it

The suit I have is not good material, you can tell it is going to rot and the neck line is drooping so I need a better one.

Thanks for all your input everyone. It is great to see what everyones schedules look like

Katie

cathlaur
September 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
:DOkay Alison

I ordered a grab bag bathing suit. YIKES on some of the colours. But I will take your word on how they last. That is what I need. At 5:30 I can be colourful with my yellow keifer fins LOL LOL

I will let you know what colour I get. I just need something that lasts and holds up and the price was RIGHT

Katie

Josh54
September 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM
I am a 53 year old male. Our pool opens at 05:00 AM. I live about 10 minutes away so I rise at 04:30. I do not eat or drink before working out. I feel great on an empty stomach. My last feeding is about 8-9 PM the previous evening. Usually some kind of salad or quiche.

The Fortress
September 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM

Those are NOT night owl hours, Bill! LOL.

geochuck
September 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM
I found this super food to help when I need an upper. http://www.twinkiesproject.com/

Slowswim
September 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Those are NOT night owl hours, Bill! LOL.

It is when I'm forcing myself to go to bed that early or I have a nasty tendance to fall asleep driving home from work. I am more awake at 10pm than I am at 10am.:(
</IMG>

swimshark
September 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
:DOkay Alison

I ordered a grab bag bathing suit. YIKES on some of the colours. But I will take your word on how they last. That is what I need. At 5:30 I can be colourful with my yellow keifer fins LOL LOL

I will let you know what colour I get. I just need something that lasts and holds up and the price was RIGHT

Katie

Katie, let me know what you think of her suits. I really love them. I have gotten lots of patterns that she doesn't even have on her web site (she is a triathlete/swimmer in Portland, OR - where I used to live). They are quite funky! Enjoy them with your bright fins.

Alison

cathlaur
September 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM
Alison

I will let you know what I think of her suits. I just hope the sizing is okay. I am excited about it. I should get it by next week.

That is wonderful that she swims herself so she understands what we need

Take care

Have a wonderful weekend

Slowswim. I am the opposite. I am exhausted by 10 pm. Though it is taking some getting used to with these early morning swims and work and kids and life. BUT this week was better than last week

Katie

Slowswim
September 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM
My crash time is 4-6pm. :snore:

Once I get home, cook dinner, bathe my daughter, and do the dishes its about 9pm and I'm wide awake and ready to go.
It really irritates my wife because she's fading by then and I chatty and hyper.
:groovy:

cathlaur
September 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM
LOL you sound like my husband.

I am ready for bed at 9 or 10. I mean exhausted and he stays up til midnight or 1 am is at work for 7 am. I do not know how he does it. NOW in the morning I am chatty and annoy him completely because he likes it quiet. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Katie

Slowswim
September 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Opposites attract!
Must be a cruel joke Mother Nature plays on us!:duel:

cathlaur
September 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yes mother nature can be very cruel. Though hubby was sure glad I was a morning person when the girls were young LOL LOL.

Katie

swimshark
September 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Yes mother nature can be very cruel. Though hubby was sure glad I was a morning person when the girls were young LOL LOL.

Katie

You should see me on the nights when I'm up at 4am and ten trying to stay up until 10 to watch a show :snore: After a few weeks my body gets used to it.

Alison

Slowswim
September 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Katie

My wife uses my daughter in the morning as payback. So that if I don't take her potty or go hug her, her feelings get hurt.:cry: