PDA

View Full Version : Watch out Sprint Classic meet - here I come

swimshark
September 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
One week early and I'm back in the water. I got cleared yesterday to stop wearing the brace and to swim. Only 3 weeks after surgery :cheerleader:. He said "don't do a mile or anything" so I only swam 1600 yds (kicked another 700) this morning. My left wrist is weak but can do well at free. Back was bad, breast was okay, didn't even try fly yet. Overall I felt :woot:

Alison

aquaFeisty
September 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
He said "don't do a mile or anything" so I only swam 1600 yds

:D
You crack me up!!!

Congrats on getting back in the water! Hope your recovery continues to go well!

cathlaur
September 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
WOW Congrats on getting back into the water.

Glad you listened to your DR! :rofl:

Dont over do it to much

Katie

The Fortress
September 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Yahoo! Awesome. Can we skip the 50 BR rematch though? :rofl:

Shall I assume you're just dying to do the 25s?

swimshark
September 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Yahoo! Awesome. Can we skip the 50 BR rematch though? :rofl:

Shall I assume you're just dying to do the 25s?

Yes, we can skip the 50 br rematch. One day, though....

I actually am looking forward to doing the 25's. How badly can one long distance girl get beaten in a 25?:laugh2: Who knows, maybe I'll even suck it up and do the 200 back. It's still one of my unchecked events on the Tour de Pool. Just as long as no one :rofl:

Alison

tjburk
September 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Alison, glad to hear your back in the water.....me too.....for almost 2 months now.....feeling really good lately!!!!

swimshark
September 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Alison, glad to hear your back in the water.....me too.....for almost 2 months now.....feeling really good lately!!!!

Congrats. Glad the back is hanging in there.

Alison

imspoiled
September 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Great. Just great! Love the scheming though.

Alison: "Sure doc, clear me for the pool and I promise to do whatever you say. Scouts honor."

Doctor: "Ok, just don't swim a mile, or anything."

Alison(smiling): "Nope, no mile swims... (Muwahaha, 1600 is less than a mile....)"

Dana

swimshark
September 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Great. Just great! Love the scheming though.

Alison: "Sure doc, clear me for the pool and I promise to do whatever you say. Scouts honor."

Doctor: "Ok, just don't swim a mile, or anything."

Alison(smiling): "Nope, no mile swims... (Muwahaha, 1600 is less than a mile....)"

Dana

Were you spying on my doctor's visit yesterday? You almost nailed the conversation. He said swimmers, runners and gymnasts are notorious for not waiting until healed to go back into their sport. I think I resemble that remark (I've been running since 10 days post-op - had to hold up the brace so it wouldn't hit and bruise the incision worse).

Alison

ensignada
September 13th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Allison, TJ - Glad you are both are back in working order.

You are too funny, Allison. You know your doctor knew exactly what you were going to do too!

The Fortress
September 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Who knows, maybe I'll even suck it up and do the 200 back. It's still one of my unchecked events on the Tour de Pool.

There is no 200 back!!! This is a one day SPRINT meet. Muhahahaha.

Go to www.patriotmasters.org for the entry form.

swimshark
September 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
There is no 200 back!!! This is a one day SPRINT meet. Muhahahaha.

Go to www.patriotmasters.org for the entry form.

Shoot I looked at it (it's been on my desk top for weeks now) and I thought it had all 200's. That stinks. Maybe I'll just do the 3 free events then. save the embarassment of a backstroke start.

Alison

Blackbeard's Peg
September 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yu must be reminiscing of the great time you had at the fabulous Colonies Zone LCM Championship meet hosted by Terrapin Masters at the University of Maryland, College Park.

Hope to see you doing your 200!

AnnG
September 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Best thing I did after my back surgery was get back into the water. My surgeon at first would not let me lift my arms above my shoulders (right after the surgery I could feel it pulling in my back if I lifted my arms) so I just started in the water walking at first, then joined the water aerobics ladies in their class once I was stronger and just didn't do the arm stuff. I had to be completely off the pain medication before I could actually swim so I could "let pain be my guide" as the surgeon said. Thanks doc! But that was really the best route for me as I had a lot of pain after repair of two back disks. Once I could swim again I kicked a lot, without a board, with and without fins (I wore out a set of fins) and after a summer of that long course I really noticed how much more flexible I was, plus being in the water was very good for my attitude. An unanticipated bonus was that I got to know the water aerobics group and they got to know me and my situation. Now they cheer me on with my swimming and I am more careful not to swamp them in the pool on my turns. Ok not everyone loves me swimming with them but its better!

swimshark
September 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Yu must be reminiscing of the great time you had at the fabulous Colonies Zone LCM Championship meet hosted by Terrapin Masters at the University of Maryland, College Park.

Hope to see you doing your 200!

I think my mind was more on the pizza and fun afterwards.

Ann, swimming is an awesome recovery. I wish I could say it was successful for me right now. I was in tears in pain this morning. The swelling is bad and so is the bruising. I think it's getting worse :cry:

Alison

AnnG
September 14th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Oh no! I think you did too much to start out - I was four weeks post op before I got into the pool to walk and did that for a month, then four weeks of aerobics classes, so it was twelve weeks before I could actually swim. Give yourself a break and don't expect to just jump back into full practices at once. I did eight months of "rehab" swimming, would not go with a practice agenda like I do now, just would do my stretching and kicking and see how I felt. Are you still taking pain meds? Although I didn't appreciate the surgeon's comment at the time he knew the pain was important for me to self regulate and not do too much, not just with swimming but with daily life as well. I couldn't be on medication that masked the pain or I would do too much. It was certainly a lot slower progress than I wanted! Remember you are pacing yourself over a lifetime not just your competitive swimming career. I don't know what type of surgery you had or what the original problems were. I had ruptured L4-L5 and herniated L3-L4 to the point it also needed repair. After dealing with that and the surgery, today I am happy to be able to walk, sit stand and bend (to some extent) pain free let alone swim again. My swimming is very important to me so I understand your frustration but you are going to have to let things heal. You will get there, be patient and give yourself a break.

swimshark
September 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks Ann. The surgery I had was for tendonitis in the thumb joint. Minor compared to what you had. I'm not on pain meds. Stopped them on the first day. The reason I was hurting so bad yesterday was that I picked my son up, twice. I just did it wrong and hence the pain. Today it's fine (I still sleep in the brace) so I'm heading back into the water. I won't do a full practice. I'll be happy with another 2300, some kicking. The kicking will be based on the pain. I was good on Thurs and stopped even if I felt uncomfortable. I will do the same today.

With GTD this year, it's not a good year to have a surgery and be out of the water :(

Alison

swimshark
September 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM
Update: one week in the water and Im up to 4200. I only sat out 200 of the kids practice after I pushed off the wall and had some pain but very little. Yesterday and today my wrist feels great and is finally losing its swelling.

Tomorrow - 2 hour practice. Ack.

Alison

SwimStud
September 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Update: one week in the water and Im up to 4200. I only sat out 200 of the kids practice after I pushed off the wall and had some pain but very little. Yesterday and today my wrist feels great and is finally losing its swelling.

Tomorrow - 2 hour practice. Ack.

Alison

Great to hear you're getting back to form Alison...how does the "domestic bliss" induced finger wagging feeling on that hand? ;)

The Fortress
October 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM
So are we all going out to a late lunch post-meet? Had to ask that to annoy Aquageek. Although hopefully we can get some videos for the poor fellow.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
i'm up for it, but am planning on attending the pvlmsc meeting after the meet. perhaps the blue muppet will order me some food. or perhaps i will have to pass on this round of eating:cane:

swimshark
October 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Great to hear you're getting back to form Alison...how does the "domestic bliss" induced finger wagging feeling on that hand? ;)

Ah, I just use the other hand for that :)

I'm game for food afterwards. Although the meeting sound good, too. I'd like to get more involved with masters swimming on this coast.

So, help me here, what should I swim??? I'm so not a sprinter.

Alison

SwimStud
October 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM
So are we all going out to a late lunch post-meet? Had to ask that to annoy Aquageek. Although hopefully we can get some videos for the poor fellow.

I'm working on some new poems especially just for this...

scyfreestyler
October 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm working on some new poems especially just for this...

Hot diggety dog!

Blackbeard's Peg
October 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
So, help me here, what should I swim???
all the 25s :cheerleader:

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 03:03 PM

I thought that was mandatory for everyone!! :woot:

SwimStud
October 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I thought that was mandatory for everyone!! :woot:

No way, I'm not bothering with Fly or Back...and I mailed it earlier so it's done.

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
No way, I'm not bothering with Fly or Back...and I mailed it earlier so it's done.

Why travel and miss out? :lmao:

SwimStud
October 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Why travel and miss out? :lmao:

I'm not. I'm doing the 25's I want to do. :p

swimshark
October 12th, 2007, 03:32 PM

That's a given.... I was thinking the 100 and 200 IM's and 200 free plus all 25's. Maybe a 50 in there, too.

Alison

Blackbeard's Peg
October 14th, 2007, 08:55 PM
judging by my knee progress this week, I am very much looking forward to the 25s. with my all arms/no legs swimming the last couple of weeks, not having those turns is going to be awesome! Maybe I'll challenge Warren for Fastest Man even w/o doing the breast.
I sent in my entry a couple weeks ago around when Donna's Post Your Goals thread was out as motivation for me to heal up.

swimshark
October 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
judging by my knee progress this week, I am very much looking forward to the 25s. with my all arms/no legs swimming the last couple of weeks, not having those turns is going to be awesome! Maybe I'll challenge Warren for Fastest Man even w/o doing the breast.
I sent in my entry a couple weeks ago around when Donna's Post Your Goals thread was out as motivation for me to heal up.

How is the knee these days?

Alison

Blackbeard's Peg
October 15th, 2007, 04:10 PM
How is the knee these days?

Thanks for asking, jaws. The ole bender is doing well. I made it through a 6hr trip through the zoo w/o any sort of pain or stiffness whatsoever. Sunday, maybe once felt something. I have been giving myself a self-examination the last couple of days, just poking around where I have had pain, and felt nothing. Plus, this is *supposed* to be my last week at PT.
:party2::cheerleader:

pwolf66
October 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Warren: Look out, I'm gonna try to give you a run for your money on the Free and Fly 25s. Breaststroke? not so much.

Blackbeard: Look forward to seeing you there. When you see a 6'3, 260 guy with short brown hair who looks like an NFL tight end looking lost that would be me.

Fort: So when/where's lunch afterwards?

SwimStud: 25 Fly too much for you? Don't be such a baby :duel:

All who plan on being there on th 28th. I look forward to meeting all my fellow addicts.......um.....er swimmers, yeah, that's it.

Paul

swimshark
October 16th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks for asking, jaws. The ole bender is doing well. I made it through a 6hr trip through the zoo w/o any sort of pain or stiffness whatsoever. Sunday, maybe once felt something. I have been giving myself a self-examination the last couple of days, just poking around where I have had pain, and felt nothing. Plus, this is *supposed* to be my last week at PT.
:party2::cheerleader:

If you made it through the National zoo without pain, you must be doing better. Thaat zoo is rough on anyone's knees. Glad it is healing well.

Paul, see you on the 28th! I'll be the one wearing the red Oregon cap.

Alison

cathlaur
October 16th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Alison

So glad to hear that you are feeling better and getting read for the Sprint Classic meet. I am going to have to check out some meets for the spring.

Good luck. I think it is great you get to meet some of the people on this forum. I am jealous

I am sure that you will do really well

Katie

ensignada
October 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I'll bring the video camera (someone remind me to charge the batteries, please?) and will tape if I can if anyone asks.

Perhaps we can even produce an "aqua postcard" at lunch for Aquageek, so he won't feel left out.

SwimStud
October 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'll bring the video camera (someone remind me to charge the batteries, please?) and will tape if I can if anyone asks.

Perhaps we can even produce an "aqua postcard" at lunch for Aquageek, so he won't feel left out.

We can all collaborate on an Ode to Scyfreestyler too...

scyfreestyler
October 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM
We can all collaborate on an Ode to Scyfreestyler too...

I don't know whether to cry or vomit.

But seriously, I do hope you all enjoy yourselves and swim lots of PB's.

Warren
October 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
It said on the entry form that psych sheets would be up on the patriot masters site before the meet. When are they going to post that. I want to see it so I can know if my entry made it and didn't get lost in the mail or something.

swimshark
October 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Alison

So glad to hear that you are feeling better and getting read for the Sprint Classic meet. I am going to have to check out some meets for the spring.

Good luck. I think it is great you get to meet some of the people on this forum. I am jealous

I am sure that you will do really well

Katie

THanks Katie. Maybe one day you'll make it south of the border and we can meet up!

Alison

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Sounds good to me. We were just in Atlanta LOL.

Katie

Blackbeard's Peg
October 22nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
It said on the entry form that psych sheets would be up on the patriot masters site before the meet. When are they going to post that. I want to see it so I can know if my entry made it and didn't get lost in the mail or something.

its up...
you actually going to make it this time??? :drink:

SwimStud
October 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
its up...

*goes off to get psyched*

Warren
October 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
its up...

more than likly. Every time I try to get to a meet something comes up but this time I should be able to make it. And I'm 20 so I won't be able to participate in any post meet activities :drink:.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
more than likely. Every time I try to get to a meet something comes up but this time I should be able to make it. And I'm 20 so I won't be able to participate in any post meet activities :drink:.

didn't you join a fraternity last spring? i'd hesitate to agree that your age has precluded you from participating in such activities in the past. ;) :drink:

Warren
October 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
didn't you join a fraternity last spring? i'd hesitate to agree that your age has precluded you from participating in such activities in the past. ;) :drink:

Yeah I did and my age has not precluded me from participating in such activities. I am assuming that the post meet activities are going out to lunch because thats what I read on the forum and if that is the case how am I going to get alcohol at a resturant without a fake id?

SwimStud
October 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah I did and my age has not precluded me from participating in such activities. I am assuming that the post meet activities are going out to lunch because thats what I read on the forum and if that is the case how am I going to get alcohol at a resturant without a fake id?

What do we look like? We're not some boozy horde of swimmers...
Boozy maybe, but swimmers...that's just presumptious! Warren, who cares if you can't get a brew? Just come along.

Warren
October 25th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I have a few questions about this weekend:

1. How do warm ups work? I'm entered as unatached
2. Do I have to check in when I get there? And do I need my usms registration card or any other form of ID?
3. How do I find out which heat and lane I'm in for my events? Are there heat sheet availible for sale or give away?

The Fortress
October 25th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I have a few questions about this weekend:

1. How do warm ups work? I'm entered as unatached
2. Do I have to check in when I get there? And do I need my usms registration card or any other form of ID?
3. How do I find out which heat and lane I'm in for my events? Are there heat sheet availible for sale or give away?

When you walk in the front door, there should be a table with a couple GMUP swimmers. You check in with your last name and they hand you a heat sheet for free. Your heats and lanes for each event will be listed on the heat sheet. No ID or card necessary. Warm up starts at 9:00 am. Just hop in any lane.

Psych sheet as of Sunday, http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint.Classic.20071021.Psych.htm

Lot of studs missing. Where are all the fast 25-29 chicks besides Mollie?!

pwolf66
October 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM
So when/where are we meeting after the meet?

Paul

SwimStud
October 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
So when/where are we meeting after the meet?

Paul

I'll be lying down...with the oxygen mask...recovering...
:lmao:

The Fortress
October 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
We could just go to Red, Hot & Blue on 123 again. I could take a lot of pictures that I won't post. :rofl:

pwolf66
October 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Oh, puh-leeze. It's not like you're doing 400 IM or 200 Fly here. It's a SPRINT meet. If I can survive it, so can you. You ever see a 6'3" 265 guy try to sprint 50 Fly? :rofl: No? well, you will.

Paul

pwolf66
October 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM
We could just go to Red, Hot & Blue on 123 again. I could take a lot of pictures again that I won't post. :rofl:

I'm gonna need carbs not protein after this. Is there an Olive Garden or something close by????

Paul

The Fortress
October 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I'm gonna need carbs not protein after this. Is there an Olive Garden or something close by????

Paul

No idea, I don't live in Fairfax. Probably. But protein is good for muscle recovery.

Here's the frolic and banter regarding out last foray to RHB. http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7879&highlight=grudge+races

SwimStud
October 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM
No idea, I don't live in Fairfax. Probably. But protein is good for muscle recovery.

I could bring my vat of Muscle Milk down and we can all "bend the rules" by taking it...

Paul...what's easy about a sprint? Maybe you don't sprint hard enough... You're 6'3" ? You are already halfway there on each length, lanky!

pwolf66
October 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM
i could bring my vat of Muscle Milk down and we can all "bend the rules" by taking it...

Paul...what's easy about a sprint? Maybe you don't sprint hard enough... You're 6'3" ? You are already halfway there on each length, lanky!

Sorry, using the word 'lanky' on a guy who's built like an NFL TE is just not appropriate:thhbbb:

Sprinting is easy, it's pain that lasts for only a short time as opposed to pain that keeps going and going and going........

Paul

aquageek
October 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Paul...what's easy about a sprint?

I'd rather swim a 500 than a 50 but a 25 shouldn't make anyone nervous, except those who can't swim, Stud.

SwimStud
October 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Sorry, using the word 'lanky' on a guy who's built like an NFL TE is just not appropriate:thhbbb:

Sprinting is easy, it's pain that lasts for only a short time as opposed to pain that keeps going and going and going........

Paul

As Terry Tate says....When it's game time it's pain time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRkiouh5NEI

"Hey Janice!"

poolraat
October 25th, 2007, 11:20 AM
We could just go to Red, Hot & Blue on 123 again. I could take a lot of pictures that I won't post. :rofl:

You can post on FB. Everyone that matters is there anyway.

swimshark
October 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Paul

Sprinting is not easy!! I can do back to back 500's and be fine but put me in the 100 free and I'll pass out.

Alison

pwolf66
October 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Different strokes, different folks.

I still remember the ONE time my coach put me in the 1000. I wanted to die. I staggered out and told him 'Never again, if it's me swimming the 1000 or not swimming at all, well, there's always soccer'

Sprinting Good, Distance BAD!!!!!!

Paul

swimshark
October 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Sprinting Good, Distance BAD!!!!!!

Paul

To quote one Mr. Wonka "Wait.... reverse that..."

Distance good, sprinting BAD!!!

Alison

Glider
October 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Nope, he had it MOSTLY right. Distance bad...sprinting good. Sprinting breaststroke -- devine:mooning::thhbbb:

To quote one Mr. Wonka "Wait.... reverse that..."

Distance good, sprinting BAD!!!

Alison

pwolf66
October 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Nope, he had it MOSTLY right. Distance bad...sprinting good. Sprinting breaststroke -- devine:mooning::thhbbb:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH, MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERESY!!!!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

You (well at least I) NEVER put the words SPRINT and BREASTSTROKE in the SAME book much less the same sentence. Ugh.

Paul