PDA

View Full Version : Workout Rehydration - Gatorade anyone?

Blackbeard's Peg
September 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Are you drinking anything around workout time? Water, Gatorade, Powerade, Accelerade, Amino Vital, etc...

Me, if I remember my water bottle, ice and water-fountain water.
:drink:

swimr4life
September 13th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I drink Rehydrate by Advocare. It is the best!

geochuck
September 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM
What ever happened to water. Eat proper, drink water, intake proper amounts of salt.

Got Boost
September 13th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Water or gatorade which ever is handy as I go out the house. Its all good.
Got Boost

phdude
September 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM
can't get through my workouts without a 20 oz of the gatorade, especially if they are later in the week or of the longer variety. I read a few things a while ago that basically said it doesn't matter between gatorade/water if your workouts are under 1:15; over that time the benefits of a sports drink become more apparent.

blainesapprentice
September 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM
phdude--that seems to be the rule of thumb--we had our nutritional evaluations at the college the other day and i have my book right here:

for exercise over one hour, carbohydrate-electrolyte drinks are best--Gatorade being the best choice (according the them) because it is lowest in calories, of most sports replacement drinks and has a high level of carbs (although I can't believe that the fact that it is ridiculously higher than any other drink in sodium is a GOOD thing).

and it says--for every 10-20minutes drink 7-10oz of water or sport drink mixed with water. Athletes should be encouraged to drink beyond their thirst...

so--in other words, after my evaluation I have come to the conclusion that if I'm not in the bathroom peeing--I am stuffing my face with something...between obtaining the nearly 3,300calories they think i need a day and drinking the 1 quart of water for every 1000calories of food i eat a day, I don't really know when I am going to have time to swim.

geochuck
September 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
It is not surprising to me about sodium. I have read about depriving the body of salt. Diabetics who reduce their salt intake to very low levels are at risk of heart attacks.

I was told by my old doctor, salt is the carrier of nutrician to the blood. Blood is salty and attracts salt.

knelson
September 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I usually drink just water, but sometimes I mix about 50/50 Gatorade with the water.

smontanaro
September 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Am I the only person who wouldn't think of drinking during a 90-minute workout? Heck, half the time I have to get out and toddle off the bathroom in the middle of practice. I do drink a fair amount of fluid during the day though. I suspect I'm pretty well hydrated by the time practice rolls around.

Skip Montanaro

geochuck
September 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I never consume liquid when I train in Canada. In Mexico that is another thing. I get the bartender to set me up with a few Margaritas when I swim up to the swimup bar, when I am doing my 100 repeats. I do 5 X 100 then a longer break then 5 X 100 and another break.

blainesapprentice
September 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Am I the only person who wouldn't think of drinking during a 90-minute workout? Heck, half the time I have to get out and toddle off the bathroom in the middle of practice. I do drink a fair amount of fluid during the day though. I suspect I'm pretty well hydrated by the time practice rolls around.

Skip Montanaro

despite what I know I should do--I actually don't drink at all during practice...don't even bother to bring a water bottle--I hate the feeling of liquid sloshing around in my stomach on turns and sprint sets.

inklaire
September 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I bring a bottle to practice, but I rarely have to time to actually drink out of it until after the workout is over. I need to get hydrated for several hours beforehand.

I couldn't drink sports drinks of any sort. They are too sweet for my taste.

3strokes
September 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
In Mexico that is another thing. I get the bartender to set me up with a few Margaritas when I swim up to the swimup bar, when I am doing my 100 repeats. I do 5 X 100 then a longer break then 5 X 100 and another break.

Do you do:
a) flip turns at the bar
b) sip and turns at the bar
c) bottoms up at the bar and the empty Margarita glasses are your lap counters?

You're my kind of swimmer. (And I promise I won't hold your hand or try to kiss you if we ever meet.)
:thhbbb:

P.S. Before anybody gets any ideas, read the Burquini thread. You've been warned.
:duel:

Attention Admins: We need the little devil smiley........

3strokes
September 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Am I the only person who wouldn't think of drinking during a 90-minute workout? Heck, half the time I have to get out and toddle off the bathroom in the middle of practice.

Funny you should mention that. A couple of years ago I was telling my urologist that often when I swim fast and hard (hard flutter kicks) I find that I have to make "pit stops" more often than when I'm doing my whole 60 to 90 minutes at an easier pace. I was trying to find out if my more pronounced kicks, affected my core (and body area around the bladder thus causing this) but his response was not exactly to the point but he did say that when we swim, the body is absorbing water through the pores which leads to the feeling to want to........... you know.

So, according to him, while swimming we are already re-hydrating (porously???)

geochuck
September 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Do you do:
a) flip turns at the bar
b) sip and turns at the bar
c) bottoms up at the bar and the empty Margarita glasses are your lap counters?

You're my kind of swimmer. (And I promise I won't hold your hand or try to kiss you if we ever meet.)
:thhbbb:

P.S. Before anybody gets any ideas, read the Burquini thread. You've been warned.
:duel:

Attention Admins: We need the little devil smiley........

In Mexico the swim up bar is 15 ft from where I do my flip turns.
I don't sip until my longer rest periods.
3 Margarita glasses equals 1500 meters.
After 3 Margaretas I switch to Aqua Mineral with a squirt of limon.

I try to do doubles - I don't mean drink doubles, I mean 2 workouts a day.

tjburk
September 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Water mainly....and now instead of Gatorade or Powerade or any sodas..... I started drinking the new V-8 Fusion drinks....Love em!!!!!!! Fuits and veggies in a drink!!!!!!! That actually tastes good too!!!!!

3strokes
September 13th, 2007, 11:36 PM
In Mexico the swim up bar is 15 ft from where I do my flip turns.

I try to do doubles - I don't mean drink doubles, I mean 2 workouts a day.

With this kind of set-up, I would do quintuples (workouts or drinks).
Come to think of it, I actually did that once, in Pattaya, Thailand, at the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel........... Swim up bar........... I was in my mid-40's and the barman would open up a fresh Singha (beer) each time he would see me swimming up to the submerged barstool. When I didn't need a drink, I'd approach to -and turn at- one side of the bar. Strange thing is that after a few laps, I could still swim straight up to that barstool (and no goggles).

Cheers

ALM
September 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM
USMS's very own Joel Stager performed study described below. I have seen it mentioned in a couple of national publications.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...3299&src=nldne

Chocolate Milk May Improve Recovery After Exercise
News Author: Laurie Barclay, MD
CME Author: Désirée Lie, MD, MSEd

Feb. 27, 2006 — Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink that improves recovery, according to the results of a small, randomized trial reported in the February issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

"Our study indicates that chocolate milk is a strong alternative to other commercial sports drinks in helping athletes recover from strenuous, energy-depleting exercise," coauthor Joel M. Stager, PhD, from Indiana University in Bloomington, said in a news release. "Chocolate milk contains an optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio, which is critical for helping refuel tired muscles after strenuous exercise and can enable athletes to exercise at a high intensity during subsequent workouts."

On 3 separate days, 9 male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout followed by 4 hours of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to exhaustion at 70% maximum oxygen consumption (VO2max). In a single-blind, randomized design, the men drank equivalent volumes of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or carbohydrate replacement drink (CR) immediately after the first exercise bout and 2 hours of recovery. The chocolate milk and CR had equivalent carbohydrate content. Primary endpoints were time to exhaustion, average heart rate, rating of perceived exertion, and total work for the endurance exercise.

Time to exhaustion and total work were significantly greater for chocolate milk and for FR trials than for CR trials, suggesting that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between 2 exhausting exercise bouts.

Study limitations include the possibility that the 4-hour recovery period limited the complete digestion of the complex carbohydrates contained in CR.

"The results of this study suggest that chocolate milk, with its high carbohydrate and protein content, may be considered an effective alternative to commercial FR and CR for recovery from exhausting, glycogen-depleting exercise," the authors write.

The Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc, supported this study in part.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006;16:78-91

geochuck
September 14th, 2007, 08:31 AM
This is an article I read a few weeks ago. My grandson had been pushing a way his milk and refusing to drink it. My wife remembered that our Doctor 48 years ago told her to give chocolate milk to encourage our oldest daughter to drink more milk. Our grand son loved it but of course it has a few more carbs than regular milk.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

swimminlyn
September 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I am glad to see that someone else on here uses Advocare. Most people I know have never heard of it. Swimr4life, what other products do you use. I like to drink Spark before my workouts.

During workouts I take a bottle of water with me. Sometimes I can drink the whole thing and other times I bearly touch it. When I am done I always finish it off though. When I get home I like to drink chocolate milk with whey protein in it.

Throughout the day I drink about 5 bottles of water.

islandsox
September 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
During my swims which are always a minimum of 3 hours, I have 3 bottles of frozen water and 1 bottle of Rehydrate from Advocare. Because I swim in warm saltwater, as well as hot temperatures, these are becoming not enough hydration. I then sorta doggie-paddle with my heavy bag of fluids out to the first buoy (75 yds) and tie them down so I can hydrate every half-mile. I don't do Gatorade: too much sugar.

Off topic a bit: now that I am in Texas for awhile and not swimming quite as much (only 4miles 4xweek), I have had no foot/leg cramping at all, but in the saltwater of Roatan, it is a constant problem. Maybe my skin is absorbing salt? After all, people wear patches for different ailments and the meds are absorbed that way. Still trying to figure out the cramping problem unless it is still conditioning as I move upwards in mileage.

geochuck
September 14th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Salt water was a problem for me when I first started to swim Marathon races. For some strange reason my first races in salt water I over kicked and the legs came right out of the water. I attribute that to bouyancy. My legs cramped. When I realized you barely have to kick in salt water no more problems.

I usually had a light massage on the legs before a race, so the legs always had a light coating of baby oil on them.

islandsox
September 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Salt water was a problem for me when I first started to swim Marathon races. For some strange reason my first races in salt water I over kicked and the legs came right out of the water. I attribute that to bouyancy. My legs cramped. When I realized you barely have to kick in salt water no more problems.

I usually had a light massage on the legs before a race, so the legs always had a light coating of baby oil on them.

Ah-Ha! Maybe because I hardly kick at all is the problem; lack of circulation. I use my legs more for body balance than propulsion. And maybe coating my body with some kind of oil would help to repell the salt from the water. This IS my year of figuring out all kinds of problems.

swimr4life
September 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I am glad to see that someone else on here uses Advocare. Most people I know have never heard of it. Swimr4life, what other products do you use. I like to drink Spark before my workouts.

Hi swimminlyn! I'm glad you use Advocare. I love their products! I drink Spark and take Catalyst (amino acids) before I workout. I drink Rehydrate during my workouts. If I don't, I get cramps so badly that I can't swim! I find it helps my endurance too. I have hypoglycemia so Rehydrate works best for me because it is lower in sugar than Gatorade. I also take the Coreplex (multivitamin) and Omega Plex (Omega 3's). I started using these products in 2004 and have really noticed a difference in my health and my ability to train harder/recover faster. :banana:

Blackbeard's Peg
September 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Jayhawk- yeah, that article was circling around the office today... much like the cheesecakes sent to me will be later this afternoon. Very interesting study.

swimshark
September 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Water, water, water and at meets Gatorade and water. During a 90 min workout I usually drink 20 oz. During the 2+ hour workouts I'm running dry in the water bottle.

I've been drinking chocolate milk after hard workouts (running and spinning as well as swimming) for several months now. It really does help.

I tried Advocare. Made me sick.

Alison

okoban
September 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Before the early morning workouts I do not eat anything. Good to drink sports drinks like Powerade, etc. Mostly I drink water during the workouts. Half a liter per 1 hour.:party2:

swimr4life
September 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Water, water, water and at meets Gatorade and water. During a 90 min workout I usually drink 20 oz. During the 2+ hour workouts I'm running dry in the water bottle.

I've been drinking chocolate milk after hard workouts (running and spinning as well as swimming) for several months now. It really does help.

I tried Advocare. Made me sick.

Alison

I'm sorry! What products made you sick? I know I tried the MNS vitamins - for energy/appetite suppression - and they did not agree with me. It had something in it that messed my stomach up. Thats why I just take Coreplex (basic multivitamin) and Omegaplex instead. With swimming, I don't really need to suppress my appetite! Rehydrate actually calms my stomach. I drink it whenever I have an upset stomach or a virus.

swimshark
September 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry! What products made you sick? I know I tried the MNS vitamins - for energy/appetite suppression - and they did not agree with me. It had something in it that messed my stomach up. Thats why I just take Coreplex (basic multivitamin) and Omegaplex instead. With swimming, I don't really need to suppress my appetite! Rehydrate actually calms my stomach. I drink it whenever I have an upset stomach or a virus.

It was some energy bar thing. Several years ago. I ate half of it before practice and had to get out because it was making me shake and my heart race. That was my one and only try at Advocare. A friend sold it and asked me to try it. After that she told me to avoid it in case I reacted like that again.

Alison

hofffam
September 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I generally never buy anything from a company whose website talks about making money and becoming a distributor.

Spark looks expensive to me at $1.42 per 8 oz. serving. It has a lot of caffeine and just 45 calories. ???

I drink water during my normal 75-or-so minute workouts. If I'm swimming a rare longer workout I'll usually mix up some slightly weak Gatorade. In the summer and when our pool is 85+ degrees I know I lose a lot of fluids because of how long it takes me to hydrate throughout the day.

marksman
September 14th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I reflexively swallow poolwater. Especially during backstroke sets.

The pool water has salt in it for some reason, so I guess I'm getting my electrolytes that way too. :wine:

I have no doubt there are other things in the water too though.

Slowswim
September 15th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I drink gallons of water it seems but that's while swimming.:drown:

I usually have Cytomax waiting for me at the wall.:dedhorse: