PDA

View Full Version : Ending Aging

ande
September 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I saw a book review in the Sat / Sun Sep 8 - 9, 2007 WSJ issue on
Ending Aging by Aubrey de Grey with Michael Rae
A Maverick biotech researcher's goal: perpetual youth

it says "Americans are obsessed with fending off old age by any means necessary." it goes on to talk about the 7 deadly sins that our bodies comit against us as we grow old.

it also says:
"Mr. de Grey is hardly just another fountain-of-youth huckster. He earned a Ph.D. at Cambridge University seven years ago for his puzzle-cracking theory about how a few mutant mitochondria in our cells could cause our entire bodies to age."

you can read the review at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118919946556720937.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

If you could undo the effects of aging?
Would you?

in the future:
If masters swimmers do this, should adjustments be made to their ages?

Ande

scyfreestyler
September 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
It would be great if it were true, but I think this man is bound to run into physiological and chemical walls that are not capable of being torn down without creating new ones elsewhere. In other words, side effects and unintended cosequences will plague this research. IMHO of course.

In the event that I am wrong, heck yeah I will take this therapy! As for USMS age groups, what kind of adjustment could you make? If a 40 year old takes the therapy is he perpetually in the 40-44 age group until he dies? Sounds too complicated. How about an open category where you can use whatever you want? Age defying therapy, testicular shrinking steroid therapy, late bloomer therapy, Red Bull and coffee overdose therapy, you name it...it's legal here. That would be fun to watch and might even bring more people to the sport. Shoot, you might even see a USMS event on TV once or twice.

geochuck
September 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I had a friend who was 90 years old, her thoughts were everyone should die at 76 years of age.

I do not agree.