PDA

View Full Version : How to receive e-mail notification of posts

matysekj
January 23rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
For those who were used to receiving e-mail notification of new posts in the old forums, here is how to set this up for the new forums. This is one area that is a little more cumbersome than the old software package.

E-mail subscription is handled on a per-thread basis, although there is also a way to subscribe to all threads in a forum.

To subscribe to an individual thread, open up that thread and scroll to the bottom of the page. There you will find link titled "Subscribe to this thread". Click on this link and you're all set.

To subscribe to all threads in a forum, open the forum and scroll to the bottom of the page. Right below the "new thread" button, you'll find a link titled "Subscribe to this Forum". Click on this link and you will automatically be subscribed to all new threads created in that forum.

To unsubscribe from forums or threads, click on the "Account Info" link at the top of any page. The opening page in your account info area shows all subscribed forums, and a few of your subscribed threads. Each listing has a link that you can click to unsubscribe. There is also a link available to view a list of ALL of your subscribed threads.

Bert Petersen
January 31st, 2002, 06:45 PM
Jim, I have indicated that I do not wish to get an e-mail every time a post is made, or ever. But they still keep coming-what am I doing wrong ? Regards- Bert Petersen

matysekj
January 31st, 2002, 07:04 PM
Bert, you're still subscribed to a few threads. Go to the Account Info link at the top of the page. The bottom part of that page shows your subscribed threads. It may not show any if you are up to date in reading all your subscribed threads, so click on the "View All Subscribed Threads" link on the right side of the title bar for that section. Now you'll see all of your subscribed threads and can click Unsubscribe for each of them. I don't understand why the threads aren't shown on the opening page here, but that's the way it works.

Rebecca
January 31st, 2007, 02:02 AM
How can I stop receiving email notification of new posts? I tried to go in and change my status on the "women are trouble" thread now that it has been revived-argh! I'm getting tons of emails that I don't want but can't figure out how to get it to stop!
Thanks, R

matysekj
February 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM
Your thread and forum email subscriptions can be found in the User Control Panel (User CP link near upper left of every page here). That first page in the control panel lists your thread subscriptions followed by your forum subscriptions. There is an Unsubscribe link there for each one. If you want to delete ALL of your subscriptions in order to stop receiving all emails, I recommend that you start by unsubscribing from any forums first (scroll down if you have to in order to see any forum subscriptions), then unsubscribe from all threads. Unsubscribing from a bunch of threads at once is easier if you follow the link on the left hand menu of the control panel main page labeled "List Subscriptions". On that page, you can check a checkbox for each thread you wish to unsubscribe from and do them all at once rather than follow a bunch of links.

In order to stop yourself from being automatically subscribed to any thread you post to, you'll need to also change your subscription policy in the control panel. Follow the "Edit Options" link in the menu on the left side of the control panel. There is a Messaging & Notification sub-section on the resulting page. You would want to change your Default Thread Subscription Mode to "Do Not Subscribe" and save the changes.

Rebecca
February 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks-got it!

Steve Peterson
December 18th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Jim - I'm mystified. Don't see "subscribe" link anywhere on forum or thread pages. Would like to receive notifications of any "Northwest Zone" activity. (Using IE 7.) Help?

Steve

Chris Stevenson
December 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Jim - I'm mystified. Don't see "subscribe" link anywhere on forum or thread pages. Would like to receive notifications of any "Northwest Zone" activity. (Using IE 7.) Help?

Steve

Go to the Northwest Zone forum. Towards the top of the page there is a drop-down menu called "Forum Tools." It is in there; subscribing to a forum will get you notification of new posts and threads.

Similarly at the top of any thread you can see a menu called "Thread Tools" to do the same thing for a single thread.

matysekj
December 18th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Chris is correct. You can subscribe to that forum if you want to receive email notification of all posts to all threads in that forum, or you can subscribe to an individual thread within a forum. Both are done via a pull-down at the top of either the forum or thread page (see screen shots below). In both cases you'll also need to select the notification type from the next page once you select to subscribe. It sounds like you'd want "instant notification by email".