PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Goals

islandsox
September 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Feel free to post both your short-term and long-term goals here relating to your swimming either as achievements with or without competition.

Here is my short-term goal while I am visiting in Texas:

To swim from the Joe Pool Lake Beach to the dam and back. Distance: 9.68 miles. I want to do this before October 6th.

The interesting thing is because I am in Texas, I have not been swimming the mileage I was doing when in Roatan. I have sort of been in a state of tapering throughout the week with a long swim on Sundays. AND, I am swimming further on those Sundays. Instead of swimming 6 miles, 4xweek, I am doing 4 miles three times a week with a long swim on Sundays; quite a reduction. The thought of over-training comes to mind as I ponder all this.

Next goal: 13 mile swim by end of November.

What are your goals?

Donna

tjburk
September 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Short term - To get back in shape after being out for a few months. This is my eighth week back in the water and I feel really good. Peachtree City Pentathlon this weekend......just doing the Sprint to see where I am. It's a 50 of each stroke and a 100 IM.....thought about doing the middle distance (100 of each stroke and a 200 IM) maybe next year.

Long Term - Make it back to Nationals next year SCY and LCM if money will allow and be competitive in a few events. Training this time is going very well I think....instead of just getting in and swimming a workout.....I am actually pushing myself this time....kind of hard sometimes when swimming alone, but getting back into coaching is helping with the motivation....gotta stay faster than the kids!!!!!:thhbbb:

cathlaur
September 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Hmmmmmmm this post has gotten me thinking.

I just got back into the pool after 22 years give or take a year. So my initial goal is to swim 4 times a week, do some cardio on the off day and just improve my over all cardio. I need to lose some weight and tone up so I hope that this all helps. Come Christmas I will re-evaluate how things are going. I am interested in doing a Masters competition sometime in January.

That is it for now. They may seem small to some but I am 41, had thyroid cancer , 2 surgeries and treatment. So I am THRILLED with myself. I have a competitive nature so I know my goals will change as I get into shape and continue to swim.

I hope to make this a lifelong committment.

Katie

geochuck
September 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Goals you have set sound good to me. When I raced the marathon circuit I never did too much open water swimming. Most of my preseason swimming was done in a pool. Lake Ontario was always cold where I lived. Westerly breezes always - the water 50 degrees or lower most of the time. I very seldom went in water below 60 degrees except in a race.

Now my goal is to get in the pool and swim a few yards or meters. The aim is to do 3500m a day 6 days a week. Not yet there. No goals beyond today.

Rob Copeland
September 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
My goal is to swimming in Heat 1 Lane 4 at nationals; signifying that I am the fastest seed in the oldest age group.

Blackbeard's Peg
September 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Super Short Term:
I would like to make it ON TIME to my first practice in over a month, tomorrow evening at UMD.

Shorter Term:
Lose the weight I've put on in the last 5 weeks of relative inactivity and injury.

Medium Term:
Get back to full training mode

Long Term:
sub 5:00 500 in Austin
be competitive in an olympic tri in '08

Very Long Term:
get married, raise mini muppets, and die young as late as possible

david.margrave
September 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
short term: match or beat my 500 free time from 1986 (5:23)

long term: break 5:00 in the 500 free.

aquaFeisty
September 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Very Long Term:
get married, raise mini muppets, and die young as late as possible

I have this vision of a brood of little swimmers with stick-straight 'fros...
:)

My goal: sub-minute 100 scy free in Austin

ALM
September 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
My goal is to be swimming in Heat 1 Lane 4 at nationals; signifying that I am the fastest seed in the oldest age group.

I'd like to have that goal. I suspect it could only happen for me if I am the ONLY person in my age group.

Anna Lea

Leonard Jansen
September 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
The interesting thing is because I am in Texas, I have not been swimming the mileage I was doing when in Roatan. I have sort of been in a state of tapering throughout the week with a long swim on Sundays. AND, I am swimming further on those Sundays. Instead of swimming 6 miles, 4xweek, I am doing 4 miles three times a week with a long swim on Sundays; quite a reduction. The thought of over-training comes to mind as I ponder all this.

Donna -
No one asked me, but...
You may want to consider taking some time "off"/"easy", say, in October. I say this because it seems like you have been building since the beginning of the year (and doing a great job, BTW), but I would be concerned about trying to build for 1.5+ years without giving your body/mind a chance to recover. If you got back into it in November, you'd have PLENTY of time to rebuild slightly and then progress further to reach your goal next July-ish. As I've said before, I think you could do it now if you had to. Admittedly, you have a great aptitude for swimming and that forgives alot, but keep in mind if you are overtrained or injured, you won't be able to do your swim very well or at all, but if you are slightly undertrained (you won't be), you can still do it by digging a little harder.
Just a thought.

-LBJ

Warren
September 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
sub 10.00 25 free.

imspoiled
September 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
The 2006-2007 season was a big breakthrough season for me, so I'm hoping to carry some momentum into 2008.

1. Break some team records--I'm thisclose to current team records & P.B. times in 50 & 100 free, 50 & 100 back, and 50 breast, both SCY & SCM.

2. Sub 1:02 100 free. (stretch goal is sub 1:00. my fastest 100 ever is in the 1:04-1:05)

Oh yeah, and to stay .01 sec ahead of Allison in the 200.:duel:LOL.

Slowswim
September 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
1. To attend or volunteer at a swim meet (CINC Home said "no" to Peach Tree City Pentathon):cry:

2. Find a local coach or swim team (thanx for the help Beth but those suggestions didn't work out):frustrated:

3. Find a place to swim that has blocks:shakeshead:

islandsox
September 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Donna -
No one asked me, but...
You may want to consider taking some time "off"/"easy", say, in October. I say this because it seems like you have been building since the beginning of the year (and doing a great job, BTW), but I would be concerned about trying to build for 1.5+ years without giving your body/mind a chance to recover. If you got back into it in November, you'd have PLENTY of time to rebuild slightly and then progress further to reach your goal next July-ish. As I've said before, I think you could do it now if you had to. Admittedly, you have a great aptitude for swimming and that forgives alot, but keep in mind if you are overtrained or injured, you won't be able to do your swim very well or at all, but if you are slightly undertrained (you won't be), you can still do it by digging a little harder.
Just a thought.

-LBJ

Leonard,

And I thank you for very wise words. Normally, I take one or two days off a week, every week, but now after having been in Texas and not doing the mileage I was doing in Roatan, I am swimming better and less frequently. I always listen to my body, but it is still difficult to to know when to "back down." The experience of this trip back home has forced me to swim less and a new discovery was made: more swimming does not equate to ability to swim more miles, to a point.

I think I am going to incorporate periodization from this point forward because, as you pointed out, any injury from now to actual swim event could ruin my chances to complete it. And because I am older and not as fit as most and having had two shoulder surgeries, I have to be careful.

Thank you for reminding me and plz do so again later down the road. I may need another wake-up call!

Donna

Sabretooth Tiger
September 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Short term goal: Drag my butt out of bed and make it to practice tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m.

Long term goal: Repeat short term goal.

globuggie
September 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I like to set slightly over-ambitious goals for myself, and I'm usually happy if I improve, even if I don't come close to my 'goals.' My main goal this fall is to improve my 100 free time from 1:10 just over a year ago to (hopefully) 1:05 and my 100 IM from 1:17 to at least 1:14.

In practice:
Improve all-out 100 free time - did a 1:15 yesterday from a push :banana:
Improve all-out 100 IM time - been 1:25-1:28 lately from a push
Improve 25 sprint times
Decrease interval for 2-4 x 50 free - currently can do 4x50 on :45

Time trials in October:
Get PB's in 100 free and 100 IM

Meet in November:
Reach my goal times (above)

Rest of the year:
My pool will be closed from January to August, so mainly just to stay in shape and learn to like (or at least tolerate) the gym.

Midas
September 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Short term goal: Drag my butt out of bed and make it to practice tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m.

Long term goal: Repeat short term goal.

That is brilliant. I'd have to concur (though my practices are at 6:30 a.m.).

scyfreestyler
September 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM
My pool will be closed from January to August, so mainly just to stay in shape and learn to like (or at least tolerate) the gym.

Oooh, that stinks.

swimminlyn
September 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with the dragging my butt out of bed every morning to swim at 5:30.

Swimming goals....
1) go sub minute in the 100 free. PB is 1:01.2
2) do the 200 fly...goal is to go 2:30 in Austin. Did 3:08 yesterday from a push keeping it long and smooth about 80% effort.

My biggest goal is to just have fun and not get frustrated with my times.

swimr4life
September 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM
My biggest goal is to just have fun and not get frustrated with my times.

That is a great goal. I try to do that too.....its hard when you know you can't train like you want to.

scwids
September 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
short term: to go from "slow and steady" to "not quite as slow and steady"

mid-range: to double my distance from this season and do a 3 miler

long-term: to get across that :censor: 4.4 miles of the Chesapeake Bay!!!

The Fortress
September 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM
1. To do more race pace training in practice and time myself frequently on all out swims.

2. Continue to experiment with swim toys and unconventional training methods.

3. To get a bunch of times with .99 at the end of them. I only have one so far and feel very deprived.

4. To keep beating Muppet in the LCM 50 fly.

5. To carry on with shoulder rehab, even though it's a huge pain in the ass.

6. To swim well and meet great folks at Austin. :bouncing:

Hoosier
September 20th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I like the get out of bed goal by sabertooth...I recently completed my "big" goal..2.5 mile open water...since then I find it hard to get to the pool. last two days have been better. but now that it is a goal, I can get it on!...great post.:groovy:

ViveBene
September 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
short term: to go from "slow and steady" to "not quite as slow and steady"

mid-range: to double my distance from this season and do a 3 miler

long-term: to get across that :censor: 4.4 miles of the Chesapeake Bay!!!

I'm pretty much with scwids (squids?) here, although my no. 3 would be doing the 8-mile Lake Champlain swim-across. Maybe there are some islands I could stop at and, uh, fix my hair.

VB

Glider
September 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
My immediate goal is to survive and enjoy Rob's Peachtree Pentathlon this weekend.

Shorter term: To consistently make practices 5-6 days a week this SCM season. I want go through a complete season of training that includes all phases: endurance, quality, peaking, and taper. Peak at St.Nicks.

Long-term, I want to swim well at SCY nats in Austin, of course;-)

Coming back after all these years is sooooo much fun. I only wish I knew then what I know now:p

Mark

Slowswim
September 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM
5. To carry on with shoulder rehab, even though it's a huge pain in the ass.

I think you need a new therapist. That geography makes no sense.:rofl:

</IMG>

Dominick Aielloeaver
September 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Donna. Great swimming, you are closing in on the long swim, that is soon coming. I am doing go the distance. And my goal is 500 miles by years end. AS of now I am aprox 350 miles. But we will see, if I get there. DOM in AZ.

CreamPuff
September 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Thoroughly enjoy racing against the boys at the Peachtree Pentathlon in my hot pink camo drag suit and hot pink toenail polish.

Kick it up a notch later on in the season with a pink fastskin.

:lmao::lmao:

Donna
September 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I will seriously condense my goals and give just the highlights.

Long Term: To make top ten in 1500 SCM most likely next year but who knows the way I am going it could become a short term goal.

Short Term: break 22 minutes in the 1650 Free, break 29 in the 50 Free and 33 in the 50 Fly.

Allen Stark
September 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Short term:train hard without hurting my shoulders or knees
Next year:get at least one AA time in 2008
Long term:win the 3 BRs at LCM Nats in WR times in the 100-104 age group.

scwids
September 21st, 2007, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty much with scwids (squids?) here, although my no. 3 would be doing the 8-mile Lake Champlain swim-across. Maybe there are some islands I could stop at and, uh, fix my hair.

VB

"Scwids" is how my little sister used to spell squids back when she was learning to read. (A looooonnnnnngggggggg time ago!!!) It's been a joke in my family ever since. :D Which makes me wonder about some other people's forum names too......

islandsox
September 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
Hi Donna. Great swimming, you are closing in on the long swim, that is soon coming. I am doing go the distance. And my goal is 500 miles by years end. AS of now I am aprox 350 miles. But we will see, if I get there. DOM in AZ.

Dom,

I'd say you are swimming quite a pile there. I couldn't do Go the Distance because my USMS card expired and I couldn't renew it from Roatan (sigh). I had really wanted to get in on that program since I swim about 24 to 28 miles a week.

I think 350 miles is the distance from Mexico to Florida if you swam it !! So, based on that, here's something for thought: swim from Mexico to Fla, rest one day, and repeat :rofl:. Now that would be some interval training!

Donna

david.margrave
September 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Is it realistic to try to meet or beat your times from 20+ years ago? I don't think I'll ever get close to my 50 free times from when I was a teenager (high :22), but maybe in distance events I will.

Blackbeard's Peg
September 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
I accomplished my very short term goal yesterday!

... sidetracking from the thread...

"Scwids" is how my little sister used to spell squids back when she was learning to read. (A looooonnnnnngggggggg time ago!!!) It's been a joke in my family ever since. :D Which makes me wonder about some other people's forum names too......

SCWIDS - check this thread out (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7339) for the origins of our forum names... I had wondered the same thing myself, so I started the thread. Very interesting stuff.
What's in a name?

... back to your regulary scheduled thread about goals...

CreamPuff
September 21st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Is it realistic to try to meet or beat your times from 20+ years ago? I don't think I'll ever get close to my 50 free times from when I was a teenager (high :22), but maybe in distance events I will.

Totally!!!

50 FR SCY
Age 18 - 25.0
Age 34 - 25.3

100 Fly LCM
Age 15 - 1:08.6
Age 35 - 1:08.4

100 IM SCY
Age 14 - 1:02.6
Age 34 - 1:03.8

You're as fast as you think you are! I say go for it.

slknight
September 21st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Totally!!!

50 FR SCY
Age 18 - 25.0
Age 34 - 25.3

100 Fly LCM
Age 15 - 1:08.6
Age 35 - 1:08.4

100 IM SCY
Age 14 - 1:02.6
Age 34 - 1:03.8

You're as fast as you think you are! I say go for it.

Interesting. I don't think I have a prayer of ever going my teenage times again and I'm only 37. :dunno:

Short-term goals: drag myself to practice tonight

Other goals:
lose 25 more pounds. I've lost 15 already.
Beat my postal 3000 time from last year
I haven't done any SCM or SCY meets in years, so I'm not sure what realistic time goals are for some events, but I'd like to churn out a decent 100 fly again.

islandsox
September 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM

You're not alone in this one. Even though our She-Man is on the verge or turning in as good as or better times, I give her one of these :cheerleader:, but I guess it depends on how long 20 years ago was. That would make me about 40 back then. I won't even try to get those times; it would hurt way too much and I probably couldn't get close. Thus, part of the reason many of us oldies do distance; much ez-ier. Uh, to a point. Distance can be challenging, too, but what the heck!

donna

CreamPuff
September 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
In all fairness, I was a bit (okay, more than a bit) of a slacker in practice as a kid. I work pretty hard now. I would think that if you really worked hard as a kid, it would be quite difficult to match those times as an adult.

My 200 IM time is WAAAAAAAAAAY off.
Age 18 - 2:11
Age 34 - 2:18
ICK!
I found it was pretty easy to match my sprint times or distance (500 and over) events. My 200s are so off the mark. Working on it.

Aquawolf
September 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Short term goal:
Strengthen my core muscles back up now that I've managed to slip in this area over the last 5 months. And, conquer the 50 Fly..:drown:

Mid-Term:
Get more consistent with flip turns, no matter the depth of the water, and consistently start off a block without losing balance or focus...:frustrated:

Long Term:
Qualify in two events for the 2008 Long Course Nationals.

slknight
September 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
In all fairness, I was a bit (okay, more than a bit) of a slacker in practice as a kid. I work pretty hard now. I would think that if you really worked hard as a kid, it would be quite difficult to match those times as an adult.

I did work my butt off as a kid - 10 workouts a week, full scholarship to a D1 school, Olympic Trials, etc. I'm certainly not going to come anywhere close to that swimming 2 workouts a week. :rofl:

I made my very short-term goal and dragged myself to the pool tonight.:D

ourswimmer
September 21st, 2007, 10:33 PM

That is one of the keys, I think: switch events. My main event twenty-five years ago was the 100 back, and I'd be happy now to go within ten seconds of my PR. On the other hand, I swam the 500 free only occasionally then, and I could definitely PR in that within the next year or two.

In fact, seeing as how the original question was "post your goals":

under 19:30 in the 1650
under 5:40 in the 500
under 2:30 in the 200 back
(all these goals are SCY)

Dominick Aielloeaver
September 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Whoa, Hold on there Donna. I like the idea. but I do not think I can do that swim, Mexico to Fla. Ha Ha. But in reality I am amazed at the milage you are doing. As I know you are preparing for that long swim. I want to hear every detail , I know you will do it. Happy swimming , Dom In AZ.

Blackbeard's Peg
September 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM

Depends on how old you are :)

I sure hope I can beat the :31 25 back I did at the 1987 Wheaton Haven Popsicle Mini Meet as a 6 year old. ;)

Blackbeard's Peg
September 22nd, 2007, 05:39 PM

I sure hope I can beat the :31 25 back I did at the 1987 Wheaton Haven Popsicle Mini Meet as a 6 year old. ;)

Swimmy
September 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM

:cheerleader:
Hahaha
You are such a young'n!
Swimmy
:cheerleader:

david.margrave
September 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Well I have my answer, sort of, to matching or beating times from 20+ years ago.

50 free SCM 31.38 8/3/84 (age 13)
50 free SCM 29.09 9/23/07 (age 36)

1500 free SCM 20:31.48 8/5/84
1650 free 19:00.42 (converts to 18:56.99 SCM) 4/13/85 (age 14)
1500 free SCM 21:57.23 9/23/07

Maybe I need to reclassify myself as a sprinter!

geochuck
September 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Congratulations!!!

Your 1500 will get better as you swim more.

mazzy
September 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hi, My first post.
Finally I'm back in a pool after over 20 years.
My big return is started last year in a gym, a season to gain strenght and fitness, I was way out of sharpe, No I didn't needed to lose any lbs.
I'm 6-0, 147lbs, Yes I Know, a little on thin side :), I wish to get around 155-160 lbs in a not so distant future.
This week I've started a 2 times at week, 45', 9 months swim course. I expect to add another day around january and maybe an 4th day around march-april, working alone.

I can swim all the styles except butterfly.
The first day was very emotional, I skipped the 10' warmup in the gym because I was awaiting at the wrong place, at the end the result wasn't as good as I expect, I can barely finish a leg of a SC pool at freestyle (25 meters) after I need severals seconds to recover, but on the plus side I wasn't as sore as I expected to be at the end.

My goal at the short time is to swim at least 100m freestyle without any stop. I expect to do it before the end of november

My goal for the end the season (july 08) is to swim 100m freestyle under 1:00. Maybe I've set the bar too far, at the end I can set for something less, but notwithstanding I want to break the 1:00 barrier some day, maybe next season, maybe 3 years from now, I'll do whatever is needed to get under 1:00.
I'm 35 years old without any major injuries. I feel that it's a reasonable goal, I'm not talking about to get under 50sec.

I feel that I've the best shoot to do some "something" in breaststoke, it's the style where I'm more competitive as ever.
My mom remember clearly still today How I manage to finish nearly an half leg ahead of anybody other, on 25m race, on my way to get a "diploma" over 20 years ago.

geochuck
September 29th, 2007, 04:57 PM
The Eternal City, I know of two Shanghia and Rome.

I see you have been watching things here since last October.
May I give you an unofficial welcome.

Are you trying to do 100m in a minute which is a big feat for lots of swimmers or are you talking 100 yards. 6' and 147 pounds, put on a few lbs but not too many.

The more you swim the easier it becomes. Work on technique and a little bit of distance and you may attain your goals soon.

pwolf66
September 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I second Geochuck's comment about sub 1:00 for 100m free. That is a very lofty goal, not saying it can't be reached but it is not something that a lot of folks can attain after a long layoff. Keep at it and remember, to go fast you need to be long and slow. And don't neglect your starts and turns, those are crucial for fast swims.

For me, short term is to finish a complete work out. I was sooooo close this morning but I went out too hard on some early Fly and fatigued my lats. Maybe Monday?

Next is to compete at the Sprint Masters in Va at the end of October. Goal times in yards.

50 free - 29.00 - this one should be reachable but is a far cry from my career best 20.90 then again that was 19 years and 40 pounds ago. :drink:
100 free - 1:10 - still have at least 90% of the speed (at least in the first 25) I used to but have the endurance of a dead rat so I'm going to see if my wife will do splits so I can groan at how much I fall off on the 2nd 50. I'm guessing 5-7 seconds at least.
50 back - 38.00 - still figuring out this new fangled flip turn thingy.
50 breast - oh WAIT, I hate BREASTSTROKE :whiteflag:
50 fly - 35.00 - now THIS should be funny to watch. Talk about expected fall off. I'm betting that I do the first 25 in about 15 and the 2nd in 20, I hope.
100 IM - 1:15.00 - Can still bang out fast 25s in each stroke, but can I do them back to back. I dunno. Should be fun to watch.

They also are having non-sanctioned 25 sprints for each stroke.
Free - 12.00 - Should be able to get this.
Back - 15.00 - gotta work more on my start and build a strong SDK.
Breast - 18.00 - Just cause.
Fly - 14.00 - Again, just for fun.

Long term - swim 4 days/week. Build my endurance up. Get my resting HR down to 66. Get back to doing some distance events. See if I can still do 200 fly.

Very long term - swim for the rest of my life.

Paul

mazzy
September 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
The Eternal City, I know of two Shanghia and Rome.

I see you have been watching things here since last October.
May I give you an unofficial welcome.

Are you trying to do 100m in a minute which is a big feat for lots of swimmers or are you talking 100 yards. 6' and 147 pounds, put on a few lbs but not too many.

The more you swim the easier it becomes. Work on technique and a little bit of distance and you may attain your goals soon.

Thanks,

It's from Rome, Italy.

Yes I've joined last year but at the end I've postponed my return in pool until this season, I feel that I've made the right decision, my muscles are way ahead of my breath. So I can improve at fast rate in the first few weeks before the breath catch-up and so I don't feel too exhausted at the end of a workout.

Unfortunately, It's meter.
Yes there's a big difference, 100yrds = 91.44m, about 9% difference, I've shoot too high, let's do 1:05, that translate roughly into 1:00 for 100 yards.

geochuck
September 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Mazzy most of us understand meters as most international swimming is done in metric. Canada has been metric for years now.

By the way I love Rome. I have only been there twice. On a trip to Egypt and on the return trip in 1964 after swimming in a 40k marathon in Alexandria UAR.

Do you have a time you swim a 25m, 50m or 100m swim. Then we can follow your progress.

If your goal is 1:05 for the 100m, that still is a goal that is hard to get to if you have never been there before. But it can be attained with proper technique and fitness. At my age my goal now is to do a 100 in 1:07 and if I get to that time I will then try to lower it to the 1:00 minute.

mazzy
September 30th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Mazzy most of us understand meters as most international swimming is done in metric. Canada has been metric for years now.

By the way I love Rome. I have only been there twice. On a trip to Egypt and on the return trip in 1964 after swimming in a 40k marathon in Alexandria UAR.

Do you have a time you swim a 25m, 50m or 100m swim. Then we can follow your progress.

If your goal is 1:05 for the 100m, that still is a goal that is hard to get to if you have never been there before. But it can be attained with proper technique and fitness. At my age my goal now is to do a 100 in 1:07 and if I get to that time I will then try to lower it to the 1:00 minute.

Yes I know that all the WC/Olympic races are in meters, and I thinks that the 25yrds pools and races are still uses mainly for historic traditions, and in minor way for money reason.

I've not time for 25/50/100m, because just like I've said, I can barely finish 25m, 1:05 it's my goal for next summers, not for next month, and I know that It's a "mirage" at the moment, but july is far away...a lot of things can happens along the way, and I'm very focused, so who know ?
For the moment I like to think that I've a shoot.
I've never swim that fast, simply because I've quit swimming in a pool when I was 11-12 years old, way under the averages for height and weight.

Looking at the picture under your nickname I supposed you're maybe 60-65 years old, and looking to swim under 1:07 in 100m is amazing for me, unbelievable, congratulation!!

geochuck
September 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Mazzy how I wish 60-65 would be great, 74 heading for 75 in May.

The pools in non metric countries were built basically 25 yards, because 4 X 25 makes 100 yards. The Usa has not switched to metric and I am not sure if they are still building yard pools or not. In Canada we now build swimming pools in metric. We have not switched over to metric completely in construction materials or things like building a house. Our grocery stores sell by the pound and Kilo.
But when we sell ply wood in Canada it is in feet if overseas sold metric. We use liters to buy gasoline - metric. In the USA they sell gallons. If we use the imperial gallon what I learned it is 1/5th more then the USA gallon.

So if I drink a quart of beer in Canada I get 1/5th more beer then if I bought a quart of US beer.

Thrashing Slug
October 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM
I'd much rather be swimming than working right now, but instead I will post my goals for the coming year.

Short term goals:

Stay out of the pool during October. Focus on weight training. Twin goals are to get rid of minor (but persistent) shoulder pain and also gain some all-around muscle. So far so good. My shoulder is almost completely pain free at this point. I think it will be difficult to restrain myself from getting in the pool, but I will force myself to stick to it. I doubt I've gone more than a week without swimming since I started 3 years ago. Taking a break is the right thing to do at this point.

Goals for 2008:

1:10 in the 100 free. (just broke 1:30 and then 1:20 this past year) 1:10 may be a little ambitious, but I'm confident I can do it if I train hard and improve my finless kicking.

Improve my breaststroke. Hard to say what my target times should be for BR, I hardly ever swim it during practice. I think my 100 time is around 1:40, and my 50 is about :40. Not great, but not too bad considering how little I swim it. Obviously there is a lack of endurance there at the longer distance. I plan to do some BR on non-Masters days, then start substituting BR instead of free during the 25s and 50s during practice.

Swim the 100 free, 50 BR, and 100 BR in a meet sometime next year.

Another goal for the fall/winter season is to continue my serious run training so I don't lose everything I've gained this year. Running and breaststroke... should be an interesting combination.

Slowswim
October 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
The Usa has not switched to metric and I am not sure if they are still building yard pools or not. In Canada we now build swimming pools in metric.

All the small Gym pools I've seen are 25 yards, but the larger city pools are 25 yards x 50 meters.:2cents:

Maui Mike
October 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I've certainly enjoyed reading the posts on this forum and it's been a big help in motivating me to stay consistant in getting to workouts.
The "goals" question required some thought --- how to keep it interesting and stay realistic. I've finally developed a plan.

Right now, at just under 62 years old, I'm about where I was at age 11. If I could do the times I did when I was 17 I'd be a the top in of my age group in several events, but that is just not going to happen. However if I could get to my 14 year old speed by the time I turn 65 I'd be able to match a lot of the times the top 65-70 year olds are doing today. What makes it interesting is that as a kid, one got faster just by getting older, bigger and stronger. Unfortunately that's no longer a given, rather, the opposite is true. But there is one hope, we didn't know much about what we were doing in competitive swimming back 40 years ago compared to what is known today. The insights available on this forum alone go far beyond the framework we operated in back in the sixties, and that helps me dream of improvement, rekindles the flame.
Next step, I just want to be 12 again!

cathlaur
October 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Goal setting is truly a tough thing to do.

I guess my goals are to lose some weight and to gain lots of endurance. I am slower with my longer distances and struggle more. I do very well with sprint sets and drills. I am also weaker in my kicking. Pretty pathetic really :cry:.

So I must commit to the 4 mornings a week practices and just keep improving.

Though my goals are smaller than others right now. They are perfect for me.

IT is all good Donkey ( got to love Shrek)

Maui Mike. I am sure you will be 12 soon LOL good for you

Katie

pwolf66
October 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Thoroughly enjoy racing against the boys at the Peachtree Pentathlon in my hot pink camo drag suit and hot pink toenail polish.

Kick it up a notch later on in the season with a pink fastskin.

:lmao::lmao:

Note to self: INVEST IN BLINDERS.

That's just not right, (S)he-Man. :notworthy:

Paul

Lisa777
October 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I just started back up and would like to get back into reasonable shape meaning that I could swim fairly fast and feel strong for a whole workout. currently my times are slow and I get weak at the end of my about 3000+ yard workouts. I would like to at least be within 5 seconds of my best 100 fly time, which was 102. I'd like to be able to swim 100s on 1:20 (currently can do them on 1:40.) I don't know what else yet but I'm sure I will have more goals as time goes by.

swimmerlady
October 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Ok - here they go:

Short Term: Swim a 500 Free by the end of this year WITH a 6 beat kick and breathing every 3rd stroke for the entire distance. This is very hard for me since I am a 2 beat kicker and prefer to breathe on the right side only. I'd like to do it under 6 minutes while maintaining that form....unfortunately I resort to my old habits when I try to go faster.

Medium Goal: Make a seasonal training plan (and stick with it) so I can focus on conditioning when I swim. Right now I only swim laps with the goal of as much yardage in a workout as I can do. I do OK workouts but I make it up as I go. Last year's goal was fitness and weight loss. I did alot of Aerobic swimming and lost 13 pounds - (Pull Bouy and Paddles...yes - I was "one of those" - but it works for fat burning since you only get to about 70% of max heart rate). I am also a Go The Distance participant. I was going along pretty good until the summer came along and the kids got out of school. I'd like to get my name back on Page 1 of the results....I've fallen back pretty far.

Long Term Goal: Go to Nationals. Just started masters swimming last year and really enjoying it after a 20 year break from competative swimming. 2 of my college teammates and I have decided to go to Austin in 2008......we want to make SCY Nationals an annual event for us as a way to stay in touch and keep swimming! I haven't seen my former college roomie in almost 14 years when she came to visit me after my first daughter was born. So the goal is to make it in 2008 and thereafter.

There! Now it's in writing!!!

ViveBene
October 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM
On goals as a movable feast...

I had no notion whatsoever what I could do, other than reasonable confidence that I could stay afloat and reach the distant shore somehow if the canoe tipped over, until I got a coach. I still don't know what I might be capable of someday. Coach has a much better idea. So I continue exploring down this path. :cool:

Regards, VB

indyswimbag
October 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
My goal this SCM seaon is to break 22 min in the 1500 and 3:20 in the 200breast....

a LONG term goal is to eventually do a 200 fly in a meet:fish2:

stussy96
October 14th, 2007, 05:50 PM
My goals:

1) Actually go to practice this season. It actually may consist of me joining a USS club team in the area to make me do it. I'll go a few times a week, but it's better than the 0-1 practices a week I usually do with my master's team.

2) Get best times for my master's career.

If I stick to #1, #2 is in the bag.:cheerleader:

Thrashing Slug
February 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Today I moved 3 seconds closer to my goal of swimming a 1:10 100 free. I did a 1:16.7 which is 3.2 seconds faster than my previous PB. The weird thing is that I was dead tired at the time and felt slow. It's been awhile since I did an all-out timed 100. It's good to see that all my technique work and fast fin swimming is working!

I'm also progressing with my breaststroke goal, though I didn't time myself for any benchmarks yet. I think my pull is coming along. I see that in Oct. I listed swimming the 100 BR in a meet as a goal. That's going to hurt. At least I didn't say the 200. I plan to start by doing the 50BR at the ORCA meet in Seattle next month.

So how are everyone else's goals progressing?

Donna
February 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I will seriously condense my goals and give just the highlights.

Long Term: To make top ten in 1500 SCM most likely next year but who knows the way I am going it could become a short term goal.

Short Term: break 22 minutes in the 1650 Free, break 29 in the 50 Free and 33 in the 50 Fly.

I guess I will need to reset my goals since I broke 29 in the 50 Free already, tied the 33 in the fly. This leaves only one short term goal left and I won't swim that until Nationals.

New goals for Nationals break 22 minutes in the 1650 Free, break 1 minute in the 100 Free, break 6 minutes in the 500 Free, 3 minutes in the 200 Fly and 2:40 in the 200 IM.

Iwannafly
February 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Short term goals:
Break :30 in the 50 SCY free before my 38th birthday.
Break :35 in the 50 SCY breast.
Break 1:05 in the 100 SCY free.

Long term goals:
Break 1:00 in the 100 SCY free and learn to swim the fly and back strokes!

LonghornbackinTX
February 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Great thread topic. Makes us all put it into words.

Short Term

Swim 6 times a week after a layoff of a year and a half. Build yardage up so that I average about 6000 yards a workout. Swim a couple of OWS this summer in the mile to 3K range.

Long Term

Continue in the good habits I develope. Continue to compete in OWS. Perhaps get back into competitive swimming (I swam in college).

3strokes
February 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM
When posting goals, or "Atta-boys/girls"...........Make that "Atta-girls/boys" ladies first" or..............even non-Attas, it would benefit the readership if distances were stated in y or m and whether SC or LC. Moreover, swimmers' ages would shed light on the goals. Dontcha think?
A 29.00 100 scy free at 25 is quite another animal from a 29.00 100 lcm free at 70

My goal is to do this year, at least what I have done last year.

That Guy
February 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
A 29.00 100 scy free at 25 is quite another animal from a 29.00 100 lcm free at 70

If you can do 100 free in 29 seconds, at any age, my hat's off to you! :notworthy:

david.margrave
February 18th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I'm revising my goals. At some earlier point here I sputtered something about getting my 500 free back to a 5:23 (back to when Reagan was in the White House, that is) as a short term goal. I think 5:45 by mid-April is more realistic.

At my most recent meet, my best time drop was in the 50 back of all events, I dropped something like 1.5 seconds (mostly from an improved start, thanks to one of our coaches), compared to 0.35 seconds in the 1500. I've neglected backstroke for so long that there is a lot of room for improvement.

aquaFeisty
February 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM
My goal remains the same: a sub minute 100 free at Austin.

I was encouraged earlier in the season because I went a 1:02.1 the last weekend in January while starting to come down with a cold (and after swimming the 500 and 100 IM). This is my fastest unrested 100 free time and a good second better than I was this time last year. Sadly, I still have the same FREAKIN' cold and haven't been at the pool much (My total Feb yardage is 7900 so far...) :frustrated: Still, there's over 2 months left till Nationals!

Good luck to everyone on their goals! Congrats to Donna for making some ahead of schedule! :)

Thrashing Slug
March 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Another update.. I've now met my goals of swimming the 50 and 100 BR in a meet. My 50 BR was somewhat disappointing... a 42 something. That's only tenths of a seconds better than my best time in practice, not even enough to account for the dive. Then again it was my first dive at my first meet, so I was happy just to keep my goggles on. My 100 BR time was much better, IMO . I got a 1:30.xx something, which was enough to win my heat, and far closer to my 50 time than anything I have ever done in practice. My best 100 going into the meet was around 1:39. So I'm pretty happy with my 100 BR time.

In the 50 BR I felt like my timing was off and I couldn't work up to full speed. I had no sense of how fast I was going, because I couldn't see any of the people in the other lanes. It was weird. The 100 felt much better, although I just about died during the last 25 of it. I think I will have to start swimming more 100s breast in practice, substituting for free.

Speaking of free, I also did the 50 and 100 free. My times were 30.86 and 1:13 something. I know the exact time of the 50 because I won the heat by touching out the guy next to me by 1/100th of a second. It was fun :D

My 100 free sucked, mainly because I only got one event's rest after the 100 BR. Still good enough for a personal best though, for now. I can definitely do better than 1:13 at my next meet. Considering my 50 time, I should be able to do a lot better, unless I am one of those "drop dead sprinters".

Jeffy_101
March 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Short Term: Be able to swim .25 miles (8 laps) without stopping and/or keep up a few laps the old guy at the pool with the funky technique that swims a mile every night and then gets out and is not even breathing hard.

Long Term: Be able to swim 1 mile and enter any triathlon I darn well please.:cool:

Super-Duper Long Term: Be able to complete the Alcatraz swim.

Rykno
April 2nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Short term goals:
Swim 3x /week consistantly
go under 42:30 - 3km river race in July (last yr time 45:16)

Mid term goals:
Increase swimming to 4x /week by Jan 2009
Compete 6-8 times /yr to see how I am improving

Long Term goals:
Sub 40:00 for the same 3km race
Lose 18lbs before Aug 2010 Worlds in Sweden
Go sub 32.00 50 Breast SCM
Go sub 1:10.00 100 Breast SCM

(Unfortunately I only have 3-4 chances to race LCM before 2010)

PArob83
April 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Short term: Dont go crazy with the lack of a pool IE:make it to september being dry&chlorine free... :(

Long term: Get home, get back into a workout set and get involved with masters.
WATER!!! Here I come.

CreamPuff
April 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Laugh at least 5 times during every practice (with and not at the swimmers of course)!

Iwannafly
April 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Short term goals:
Break :30 in the 50 SCY free before my 38th birthday.

38th birthday came and went on March 30. I swam 31.10 on Saturday at a meet in NC. :( I'll count it as complete though if I can manage to hack a second and a tenth off my time at Zones!

ourswimmer
April 13th, 2008, 11:37 PM
My main event twenty-five years ago was the 100 back, and I'd be happy now to go within ten seconds of my PR. On the other hand, I swam the 500 free only occasionally then, and I could definitely PR in that within the next year or two.

In fact, seeing as how the original question was "post your goals":

under 19:30 in the 1650
under 5:40 in the 500
under 2:30 in the 200 back
(all these goals are SCY)

I met my goal in the 1650 with 5.2 seconds to spare, and I won't swim it again this season. 500 goal is still to come. I met my goal for the 200 back too, by 5+ seconds, but I am swimming it again at Nationals.

And I have a new goal, not necessarily for this year's Nationals but maybe for next season or the next: PR in the 100 back. PR means under 1:03.1, and would mean swimming faster in my early 40s than at 15. I foresee a lot of kicking in my future.

Iwannafly
April 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Break 30 in the 50 free by my 38th birthday and break 1:05 in the 100 free.

38th birthday came and went on March 30. I swam 31.10 on Saturday at a meet in NC. :( I'll count it as complete though if I can manage to hack a second and a tenth off my time at Zones!

Woohoo! 1.23 seconds is what I knocked off of my 50 free time for a 29.87. Only 12 days past my 38th birthday, which was my original goal.
I also knocked 1.96 seconds from my 100 free time to go 1:08.50. Getting closer to that goal. Perhaps by the end of the year.

pwolf66
April 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
TJ, those were some VERY nice times you put together this weekend. Congrats on breaking the 30 sec barrier on the 50.

james lucas
April 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
At first I figured I would shoot for the times I swam when I was 16. Recent experience, however, has led me to settle on a new goal, which would have been utterly unattainable when I was younger:

A 100-yard-freestyle time that's lower than my age.

I'll have two ways to win: I can either break a minute or age up to my time...

rtodd
April 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
That's a cool goal and one that gets kicked around in the 400m run.