PDA

View Full Version : Women with Long Torsos - Suit Recs?

ensignada
September 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I know I can't be the only woman out there with a long torso with trouble finding a good workout suit.

The only true "long" suit I have is a non-polyester fitness suit. I love it, but it's dissolving. I would love to get a polyester suit but am having problems with fit because so much of my height is in my torso.

What brands/suits have you found that work better/are cut longer than others?

swimr4life
September 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I know I can't be the only woman out there with a long torso with trouble finding a good workout suit.

The only true "long" suit I have is a non-polyester fitness suit. I love it, but it's dissolving. I would love to get a polyester suit but am having problems with fit because so much of my height is in my torso.

What brands/suits have you found that work better/are cut longer than others?

Hi Barb! I have the same problem. The speedo endurance suits are way too short in the torso. I usually have to size up to get them to fit. Dolphin Uglies and Nike polyester suits fit better than Speedos for me.

ensignada
September 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks Beth!

My mom was with me the day I tried on some of the Speedo endurance suits. She took one look at me and said, "You're not going anywhere looking like that." It was great: I felt like I was 12 again!

(but this time I agreed with her wholeheartedly!)

SwimStud
September 20th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks Beth!

My mom was with me the day I tried on some of the Speedo endurance suits. She took one look at me and said, "You're not going anywhere looking like that." It was great: I felt like I was 12 again!

awwwwwwwwwww
:mad:

scwids
September 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks Beth!

I am in the long torso sisterhood - I never get Speedos, since I can barely stand up straight in them! I have had good luck with Tyr.

Slowswim
September 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Granted I do not understand your problem having a long torso...don't one piece suits only cover the torso? So whether you are long or short waisted should just be a size up or down issue. I thought the problem of getting the torso to fit is to and have the arms and legs fit too.
:confused:

BTW: Wouldn't a two piece solve the problem or are they a slower suit?:dunno:
</IMG></IMG>

swimr4life
September 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Granted I do not understand your problem having a long torso...don't one piece suits only cover the torso? So whether you are long or short waisted should just be a size up or down issue. I thought the problem of getting the torso to fit is to and have the arms and legs fit too.
:confused:

BTW: Wouldn't a two piece solve the problem or are they a slower suit?:dunno:
</IMG></IMG>

If you are long waisted the length from the top of the suit to the crotch is effected! Therefore it causes a comfort problem and a thong-like action! :rolleyes: Working out in a 2 piece indoors would make me feel uncomfortable. :blush:

Donna
September 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I guess I need to join the club on this one too. I find Tyr fits better for me, but some of their poly suits fit differently. I usually find the solids and reversables to be too short but the prints either give better or are alittle longer.

BabsVa
September 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm with y'all. For a while I went with two piece suits but they come with their own set of problems. Just for laughs, I searched Speedo's site for 'long torso' since I used to get bathing suits from LL Bean that were long torso - and voila!

http://www.speedousa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&searchString=long+torso&searchSubmit.x=0&searchSubmit.y=0

Someone get one and try it.

ViveBene
September 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I'm with y'all. For a while I went with two piece suits but they come with their own set of problems. Just for laughs, I searched Speedo's site for 'long torso' since I used to get bathing suits from LL Bean that were long torso - and voila!

http://www.speedousa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&searchString=long+torso&searchSubmit.x=0&searchSubmit.y=0

I think I DID just buy this suit! Got it in my real size, not one size larger. It was a vast improvement, but felt a bit "pulling down" at top (so I had to hitch it up). Have not tried it in pool yet but will report back.
There is also a line called Longitude that I stumbled across in a department store. I found a nice one that I care for exquisitely.:applaud:
Department of fuller explanation: with a long (physical) torso I have to buy the next larger size, which is too big in the top, so it gapes and makes me look like a misshapen elephant, and big in the seat. In other words, if it fits in length it is guaranteed not to fit anywhere else.

Regards,
VB

aquaFeisty
September 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hi Barb,

If I read your note correctly, you HAVE found a suit that fits you great, it just doesn't last. Right? So at least you have a suit you can wear for meets.

For practice, I unfortunately haven't found a polyester suit that I really like either. I'm not at all long-torso'd, but the suits just don't form-fit like a lycra suit and they all seem to gap at my chest. Nike seems to be the worst, followed by speedo. I agree with everyone else, Tyr seems to have the most torso length.

You could try doubling-up on practices suits (the 2 old suits = a new suit rule). You could try to wear the best-fitting endurance suit you can find and wear a decaying/faded, yet covering, old lycra suit underneath. Or you could go with a workout two-piece underneath a looser one-piece suit. (I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a 2-piece indoors, either.) Also a lot of people, me included, use a tier system for their suits... once a meet suit starts to feel baggy, it is demoted to a practice suit. Once the practice suit starts to get too see-through, it is demoted to a doubled-up practice suit. Once that suit starts to leave those icky lycra pills on your body, it goes in the trash.

None of these options are great, but they might help you get by till you find that elusive perfect-fitting, long-lasting suit! :)

Slowswim
September 20th, 2007, 03:48 PM
... if it fits in length it is guaranteed not to fit anywhere else.

OK, got it. Now I know why my wife forbids from buying any clothes, exercise gear and especially swim suits.

SwimStud
September 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I think you girls should just "go skimpy" and be done with it...nobody is looking, honest, we're just too busy thinking about our next event...

:drink:

ensignada
September 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM

This is the one I have and it is dissolving. Unfortunately. It's extremely comfortable.

ensignada
September 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Barb,
...You could try doubling-up on practices suits (the 2 old suits = a new suit rule). You could try to wear the best-fitting endurance suit you can find and wear a decaying/faded, yet covering, old lycra suit underneath. Or you could go with a workout two-piece underneath a looser one-piece suit. (I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a 2-piece indoors, either.) Also a lot of people, me included, use a tier system for their suits... once a meet suit starts to feel baggy, it is demoted to a practice suit. Once the practice suit starts to get too see-through, it is demoted to a doubled-up practice suit. Once that suit starts to leave those icky lycra pills on your body, it goes in the trash.

Thanks, Carrie. I had thought about the two piece - they look awfully darn comfortable. Right now though, I think I'd be like the guys in the Speedo briefs who jump in the lane and then remove their board shorts underwater. Maybe next summer I'll think about it again for outdoors (might feel confident enough to pull it off by then).

I might try the 2-piece polyester under the ragged one piece though, hadn't thought of that. Then the next lycra suit I buy would be a "meet" suit.

Or...I could buy another suit like the one I have and wait for it to develop transparencies and layer. I guess there's some financial investment involved until you get to the layering stage. lol

ensignada
September 20th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Donna, scwids - Thanks for tips on TYR.

To all: Thank you and if I find the perfect long torso chlorine-resistant suit, I'll let you know.

ensignada
September 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I think you girls should just "go skimpy" and be done with it...nobody is looking, honest, we're just too busy thinking about our next event...

:drink:

Uh-huh.

And I bet you even typed that with a straight face.

Donna
September 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
This past summer I did purchase 2 2 piece suits for practice but it was due to the extremely hot water we were swimming in. A 1 piece was just too hot. I figured if the guys could have their guts hanging out over there suits, why couldn't I! Well I didn't exactly hang over it and with the weight loss it really did look fairly decent and served it's purpose.

I hadn't thought of using the 2 piece with an old streched out suit. I probably need to start wearing 2 suits soon for practice anyway.

Willow
September 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I have a long torso and I wear TYR poly reversibles.

Hey TYR! If you are lurking, you need to make a green reversible poly suit to make Willow happy!

Slowswim
September 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
I don't understand the issue with two piece suits. I grew up on Clearwater (FL) Beach and worked on the beach for 6 years. IMO, one-piece suits are more body conscious.

To risk blasphemy, you could try Women's two-piece Tri suits. Some are more like tankini's. Just a thought.:2cents:

ViveBene
September 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM
To risk blasphemy, you could try Women's two-piece Tri suits. Some are more like tankini's. Just a thought.:2cents:

It's a thought I have given two thoughts to; they look pretty comfy and not bad to swim in. (A few pools do not allow two-piece suits.)

The traditional tank suit signals "I am a serious swimmer.":fish2:

Regards,
VB

islandsox
September 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM
Two-piece swim suit all the way! The only thing I will swim in because there are a lot less problems such as chafing. And I am a long-torso gal (and chunky to boot), so when a suit is too short in the torso, the straps cut in to my already surgically repaired shoulders.

And, if the bottom wears out, you can just buy another bottom; not the whole thing. And, on a very long swim in the ocean, I can take the top off, stuff it in my suit bottom and keep on swimming. No chafing at all that way.

:cheerleader:

scwids
September 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
I don't understand the issue with two piece suits. I grew up on Clearwater (FL) Beach and worked on the beach for 6 years. IMO, one-piece suits are more body conscious.

Clearly, you are not well-enough acquainted with the "bedonk-a-donk" phenomenon (AKA the "J-Lo" or the "when my waist and my butt argue, my butt always wins"). :mooning: Mix and match top/bottom sizing helps, but mostly it's just not comfy - at least for me. Although I can see how it would be advantageous in long open water swims.

SwimStud
September 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM
Clearly, you are not well-enough acquainted with the "bedonk-a-donk" phenomenon (AKA the "J-Lo" or the "when my waist and my butt argue, my butt always wins"). :mooning: Mix and match top/bottom sizing helps, but mostly it's just not comfy - at least for me. Although I can see how it would be advantageous in long open water swims.

Exactly what is the "bedonk-a-donk?" It sounds interesting....

BabsVa
September 21st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Hey girls there are men in this locker room!

Anyway, the two piece sitch - in my experience, I feel the suit dragging not only at the top but at the waist, say, as I push off the wall. Double drag. S'pose I could get a tighter two piece, but then there would be that muffin-top effect ... ewww.

SwimStud
September 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM
Hey girls there are men in this locker room!

Anyway, the two piece sitch - in my experience, I feel the suit dragging not only at the top but at the waist, say, as I push off the wall. Double drag. S'pose I could get a tighter two piece, but then there would be that muffin-top effect ... ewww.

Pffft...at least it's virtual I was barely into my boxers when a woman just decided it was ok for her to walk into the locker rooms to look for her son. Honestly...if it had been a guy go into the ladies...
:notworking:

Slowswim
September 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Clearly, you are not well-enough acquainted with the "bedonk-a-donk" phenomenon

Actually, I am..had to visualize to understand it. I'm not sure how a one piece effects that. At least for a rear view.

I understand the double drag which goes back to my first question. It happens to me. My jammers gapped at my spine and my briefs...umm...lower down.

Can't a one-piece gap anywhere and all alone the back opening plus the cross strap?

I know from my wetsuit what is like to have my shoulders and crotch pulled on. Maybe y'all have gotten used to it over the years but as someone (male) that its rare for; I'd do anything to lessen/eliminate that. IMO: In practice, wouldn't the freedom of movement out-weight any slight drag?

scyfreestyler
September 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Pffft...at least it's virtual I was barely into my boxers when a woman just decided it was ok for her to walk into the locker rooms to look for her son. Honestly...if it had been a guy go into the ladies...
:notworking:

Should have given her a show...something to remember.

As for the guy going into the ladies room, look out scout. Police would be on the scene in moments with guns drawn.

BabsVa
September 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
OK Coach Sue sez: deal with the wedgie! She gave as an example our local swim star (go Megan!) who is on her way to the Olympic Trials - at 5'11 she wears a size 30 suit.

SwimStud
September 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Should have given her a show...something to remember.

I didn't think to pop a "front double biceps" pose for her...

poolraat
September 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM

:rofl:

scwids
September 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
OK Coach Sue sez: deal with the wedgie! She gave as an example our local swim star (go Megan!) who is on her way to the Olympic Trials - at 5'11 she wears a size 30 suit.

It hurts just to think about it!!! :(

islandsox
September 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM

But as a lifelong swimmer, I would have preferred a back pose because I look for those triceps and lats with a little look over your shoulder that's teasing. What locker room was this?:blush:

And my 2-piece bottom has never slipped down; guess it's the safety pins I use. Rust and all.

ensignada
September 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
But as a lifelong swimmer, I would have preferred a back pose because I look for those triceps and lats with a little look over your shoulder that's teasing. What locker room was this?:blush:

And my 2-piece bottom has never slipped down; guess it's the safety pins I use. Rust and all.

I can see it now: Donna emerges victorious from the sea after her 20 mile swim, fists clenched in accomplishment...completely unaware that her bottom suit is missing because the saftey pins corroded through. What a photo op!

SwimStud
September 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
What locker room was this?:blush:

At my local YMCA!

Ripple
September 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Do you sew or know someone who does? They actually aren't that hard to make. You just need a basic zig-zag stitch sewing machine with a ball point needle and polyester thread, it isn't necessary to have an overlock machine and cover hemmer. (I have those particular toys...but I like having toys! ;) )
I've been making my own lap suits for about 8 years now, as I'm a lot bigger on the bottom than the top and long-torso to boot. Kwik Sew patterns have very clear, easy to follow directions and a pretty good fit (a bit on the generous side, Stretch And Sew have good directions but a peculiar fit around the legs. I haven't tried Jalie patterns but have heard good things about them.Polyester Chloroblock fabric can be bought online from Textile Outfitters (www.justmakeit.com) and possible there are other sources as well.

ViveBene
September 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Sewing one's own suits -- that stirred a memory. I made one, in a previous lifetime. Rose, lined with pale pink. A sweet two-piece suit that saw me through a summer of lake swimming with my young charges.

VB

ensignada
September 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
The last garmet I sewed was a peasant skirt in high school. lol

Sewing my own sounds like a great (and less expensive) solution, but I've never learned how to sew with fabrics that give. Nonetheless, something to think about.

Ripple
September 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I was in Sears today and saw some Roots lap-type suits on sale that came in a "long" size. I don't know if you get that brand where you live. It's a Canadian company.

SwimStud
September 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
If you're taking orders, can I get a neon pink "Borat" please?

Slowswim
September 25th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I got a Kieffer Catalog last night, there were Guard suits that were "long" and some two piece suits "tankini" that wore like a one piece (you could sew it or wear it as is).

Seemed expensive at $80.

ensignada
September 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM
If you're taking orders, can I get a neon pink "Borat" please?

Funny. I always figured you as the gold lame' type.:D

ensignada
September 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I got a Kieffer Catalog last night, there were Guard suits that were "long" and some two piece suits "tankini" that wore like a one piece (you could sew it or wear it as is).

Seemed expensive at $80.

CINCHome: "Bill, why are you studying women's swimsuits."
Bill: "Just looking to help out a woman swim friend cursed with a long body. These tankini's are an idea!"

KLONG!

Bill falls to floor. CINCHome replaces frying pan on rack.

cathlaur
September 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I got the Kieffer cateloge with my new fins I bought from there and quickly shipped to Canada. I love them though they are yellow. ( most of the club I swim with have the speedo fins , not sure if I should be using the same as them) Figures the colours go by sizes of feet. I am pretty bright compared to some.

I saw the bathing suits to. Has anyone tried them?

Katie

Slowswim
September 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM
CINCHome: "Bill, why are you studying women's swimsuits."
Bill: "Just looking to help out a woman swim friend cursed with a long body. These tankini's are an idea!"

KLONG!

Bill falls to floor. CINCHome replaces frying pan on rack.

Just taking one for the team.

The rest of the story:
:doh: yes dear
:dedhorse: Yes Dear
:duel:Yes dear
:argue:yes dear
:whiteflag:you are right
:wine: I'm sorry
:smooch::hug::woot:Make ups are Great!!!!

BabsVa
September 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
never mind - I'm technologically challenged