PDA

View Full Version : New USMS Fitness Events!!

Bill Volckening
January 8th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Greetings,

The USMS Fitness Committee has created some fun, challenging events for 2003, and they are now available online at:

http://www.usms.org/fitness/fitnessevents.shtml

New events include the Virtual Geographic Swim Series, which currently features six swims, and our upcoming event, the 30-Minute Swim, which will be available shortly.

These events are less competitive in nature, and can be done any time at any pool. You can use an event to set a goal, which will make your time in the pool more interesting, challenging, and fun. Your goals may involve any number of possibilities, such as learning to swim a new stroke, swimming faster, swimming greater distances, or logging your distance over time. Having a goal is an ideal way to enhance your exercise and fitness experience, so consider trying one of our fun, new USMS Fitness Events.

Enjoy!
Bill Volckening
USMS Fitness Committee

pbsaurus
January 9th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Great ideas Bill!

I swam 427.1 miles last year and 569.8 the year before. How long is the Nile river again?

I'll have to pick a date to shoot for in the future when I will have traversed that distance.

Bill Volckening
January 9th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Hi Peter,

Thank-you for the positive feedback, though let's give credit where credit's due. USMS Fitness Committee Chair Pam Himstreet has been the driving force behind the development of all these new fitness events. We should all thank her for her tremendous energy, creativity and focus.

This year, we hope to develop more virtual swims for everyone to enjoy. I am currently working on a virtual swim for Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, and hope to have it ready soon. There are other ideas floating around, too, such as a virtual swim around Manhattan. We hope swimmers will enjoy participating in these events, and possibly even visit the places discovered in the Virtual Swim Series.

Enjoy your swims!
Bill

Phil Arcuni
January 9th, 2003, 03:50 PM
The virtual swims are interesting and fun to read. A unique and colorful t-shirt is an essential motivator.

I had a special interest in the Swim around Key West (actually a Swim to Key West from Tampa) as that is where my parents live now and where I lived for a couple of years in the late 60's.

In fact, I was just there last week. An actual swim around Key West is very possible - I know it is done regularly (is it a regular event?) and I would consider doing it. Not at Christmas, however. While I went swimming daily, the water was a chilly (for me) 68 F, and some days more choppy by the harbor and the gulf side than I would prefer. But I *am* a pool swimmer.

I also went the virtual swim route (in the other direction) a few years ago by boat. Very pretty. (As a coward, I would worry about gators and sharks.)

Phil Arcuni
January 9th, 2003, 04:02 PM
A moment of silence for the discontinued February Fitness Challenge. As Peter and anyone who collated the results the past few years can attest, Menlo Masters (where I swim) was a *very* active participant. When I first got back to swimming this event left several significant memories:

The USS coach of my children who (the coach) swam over 700,000 yards one month, and his description of how he did it and the physical effects.

The other (female) coach who swam over 500,000 yards the same year.

Peter and his remarkable dedication to swimming mile after mile of backstroke.

The guy (age 50+) who swam 30,000+ yards the last *day* of February to tie a couple who felt comfortably ahead and took the day off (things can get pretty competitive.)

I hope the new national programs can match the success of the FFC. Why was it discontinued?

Meanwhile, Menlo Masters is making it into a local charity event - a can of food for every 2500 yards swam. It should be fun, but I wonder if it will serve as a motivation for the swimmers who swam mega yardage to see their name as one of the top five nationally.

pbsaurus
January 9th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Speaking of that. If anyone wants to sponsor me, all you have to do is donate one item of canned food to your local food bank for each 2500 yards I swim in February. My goal is 120 cans so I should be within 30 either way. If you're interested in sponsoring me, email me and I'll put you on my mailing list (expect only four or five emails during February) and keep you abreast of my progress.

After all it's for charity, tax deductible and it will help motivate me to my goal.

And Phil according to the Tualatin Hills Website (http://www.barracudas.org/ffc.htm), it looks like it's still around. I think it's just our team that's focusing on something different.

Phil Arcuni
January 9th, 2003, 10:42 PM
You're right Peter, Tualatin is supporting a postal FFC. I was confused because it was not listed in the events section of this web site, and because it was not mentioned by Bill and Pam here, when they were promoting the list of fitness programs. (And because our team is not participating in the postal event.)This despite the fact that FFC and its originating team have been rewarded by USMS for promoting swimming fitness.

Bill Volckening
January 10th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Hi Phil,

There are several local teams sponsoring postal events during the year. Only certain events are official USMS Fitness Events. The events showcased in the Fitness section of the USMS web site are are the official USMS Fitness Events for 2003. These events require all registered participants to be members of USMS. We would love to see our list of events grow in the future, especially if our events will contribute to the growth of USMS.

Bill