PDA

View Full Version : Motivational help

JoeSwimmer
September 21st, 2007, 02:58 AM
Hi everybody,

Let me start with my story. Back in my teens (I'm in my mid-30's now), I had 2 surgeries on one ear to fix a cyst and then to fit in some prosthetic ear bones. After that, twice, I went back to masters because whatever drives me has brought me back to swimming.

Lately, I've joined up with a local team. But, the ear has reared it's ugly head again. I've experienced bad effects and am now working on obtaining better ear protection.

(My problem is, even though I can exert to my hearts content, my ears make me dizzy when water enters the channel, especially if it's not body temperature. And, there are currently no plugs that work 100% due to the weird channel cartography left from surgery.)

Why should I exert all this effort instead of sitting on the couch and vegging?

Any help and encouragement would be nice. :whiteflag:

Thanks,
Joe.

ViveBene
September 21st, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hi everybody,

(My problem is, even though I can exert to my hearts content, my ears make me dizzy when water enters the channel, especially if it's not body temperature. And, there are currently no plugs that work 100% due to the weird channel cartography left from surgery.)

Thanks,
Joe.

Hi - An audiologist can make custom ear plugs or perhaps present you with other options.

Why expend the effort: self-respect, enjoyment, everything else that takes you into the pool. You already have the motivation!

Good luck!
VB

geochuck
September 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Have a look here. Wear ear plugs and cover http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/earbanearret.html

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/swimandwatpr.html

ande
September 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
you gotta keep wata outa that ear
better ear plugs
duct tape?

Hi everybody,

Let me start with my story. Back in my teens (I'm in my mid-30's now), I had 2 surgeries on one ear to fix a cyst and then to fit in some prosthetic ear bones. After that, twice, I went back to masters because whatever drives me has brought me back to swimming.

Lately, I've joined up with a local team. But, the ear has reared it's ugly head again. I've experienced bad effects and am now working on obtaining better ear protection.

Thanks,
Joe.

Slowswim
September 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Joe:

Try these: Mack's Pillow soft ear plugs. They are a soft moldable wax so you should be able to form fit to your ear(s).

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=swimshop&BusType=BtoC&Count1=332332789&Count2=249473214&ProductID=348&Target=products.asp

They work great. Good luck!

Blackbeard's Peg
September 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Joe, sounds like you really want to be in the pool, and that I think is enough motivation. I know from personal experience w/ injuries, that when you want to swim that badly, you find a way to make it work. :cane:
Keep on truckin!