PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel the day after??

Concho Pearl
September 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Question: How do you feel the day after a hard swim/ swim meet or time trials?

We had time trails yesterday.

I swam well, took about 2 sec's off my back, and 1 sec off each free.
50 yd, back .34
50 yd free - .29
100 yd free- 1:05

This morning I'm stiff and hungry which has made my stomach feel a little shaky.
I'm not a big breakfast eater, but munching on crackers is making me feel better.

I'm not swimming today ( which was already planned) by will be back on Thurs.

I'm just wonder is it me or just getting older or both?

nkfrench
September 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe you just met Ms Lactate or some of her friends who visit after a hard set of swimming without an extra long warmdown.

hofffam
September 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
After a day involving true maximum effort swimming (e.g. a meet), I am usually at least a tiny bit sore. You raced a bit over two minutes at maximum effort compared to zero effort like that in practice. Max effort in practice is still not the same as racing. If it were - your times would be the same.

So what you feel is normal (at least to me).

Concho Pearl
September 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I'm wondering if I'm not eating right... correction I know I'm not eating right.

I'm going to have to step up and start eating right.

We don't have a master team, so I get to swim 3 days a week with age groupers
(up to 6th grade) It's the only time I have so I can be coached... I can keep up ...it's so different that on your own. Faster pace and we avg. about 2000 yds, in about 40 mins. more or less. If I can I'm going to stay later and show up earlier to get in more yardage.

Sunday's is going to be land exercise, 1 mile power walk followed by 20 - 30mins. weights, then 1 mile on the bike.

Blackbeard's Peg
September 26th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Concho, I am hit or miss for post-event soreness. Some soreness is worse than other times. I am not observant enough to know what the source is, but I think stretching before, during and after seems to help.
Food-wise, oddly enough, i actually tend to gain weight on the day of a meet. I make sure to eat breakfast and if i remember, i'll have a power bar or granola bar or mom's blueberry muffins (my meet favorite) in my bag waiting for mid-meet consumption. Then afterwards, I'll eat everything in sight.