PDA

View Full Version : What A Waste Of Time!!!

geochuck
September 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I am quitting today being a servant of the internet. I will only open the swim forum, face book or any other program like them, between 6am and 7am.

I will only work on relevant emails concernig my business and my physical fitness during the rest of the day.

So many people wasting work time to post and for those who don't work spend more time in the pool or worthwile projects.

Believe me Fort I have had it...

fastjack
September 26th, 2007, 04:44 PM
What a good idea George, I will cover the rest of the day for you.

I am quitting today being a servant of the internet. I will only open the swim forum, face book or any other program like them, between 6am and 7am.

I will only work on relevant emails concernig my business and my physical fitness during the rest of the day.

So many people wasting work time to post and for those who don't work spend more time in the pool or worthwile projects.

Believe me Fort I have had it...

The Fortress
September 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
At first I thought that you and Islandsox were just trying to cause trouble today. But now I see that you are simply tired of being a "very active user." LOL. :mooning:

Slowswim
September 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Noooooooooooooooooo George!!!

But, I need, I need. (Bill Murray in What about Bob). I still need help.
:sad:and lots of it.

fastjack
September 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Contact me I know everything George knows and maybe even more.

meldyck
September 26th, 2007, 05:02 PM
George,

great idea. Now you can get back to watching those really good Canadian daytime soap operas. Much more worthwhile.

geochuck
September 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Here I am breaking up my plan.

Chuckie and I watched Bold And The Beautiful and All My Children they are both getting very exciting. I have to wait until 4: for The Young and the Restless. I am getting restless.

ViveBene
September 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I am quitting today being a servant of the internet.

Your experience, advice, video links, and generous encouragement are invaluable. By all means, find the right place for Internet business in your life, but I hope you will continue posting!

Best,

VB

Peter Cruise
September 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Ah George, doesn't feel right if he doesn't fire a broadside every so often- just send him a box of Timbits and he'll be a happy camper...

knelson
September 27th, 2007, 12:05 AM
The way I'm reading this it seems like George is going to end up posting more, he'll just split it between his two personas: geochuck and fastjack!

fastjack
September 27th, 2007, 12:14 AM
What makes you think that I would have anything to with that guy Park.

RecreationalSwimmer
September 27th, 2007, 06:48 AM
What makes you think that I would have anything to with that guy Park.

Maybe it's your IP address that gives you away, George?

islandsox
September 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Chuckie and I watched Bold And The Beautiful and All My Children they are both getting very exciting. I have to wait until 4: for The Young and the Restless. I am getting restless.

You can finish it all off with Jerry Springer if you want to get your heartrate up.

geochuck
September 28th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I started this morning late about 7:45 and have wasted most of my day on the internet. It must be like my coffee habit I cannot give up the internet. Here it is 9:57 pm and I am still here.

meldyck
September 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM
George,

I think your determination in your first post of this thread is a little like most folks' new years resolutions.

The internet is a big waste of time but so is a bunch of other stuff you could be doing. Pick your poison and enjoy it!

Ripple
September 28th, 2007, 08:26 AM

The Old And The Listless is more my speed.
I agree about the internet. I don't log onto eBay any more at all, just quit cold turkey.

poolraat
September 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
The Old And The Listless is more my speed.
I agree about the internet. I don't log onto eBay any more at all, just quit cold turkey.

When I refer to the "Dumb and the Useless" it makes my wife angry. There is a waste of time.

Redbird Alum
September 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Giving up on the internet for television doesn't make sense.... kind of like giving up on books to read the newspaper. Also, you can yell at the TV, but it doesn't react, respond or reply to your specific comment.

To give up both, you need to remember that there is life out there, and real people, animals and environments that are interesting to talk to, look at, and interact with.

Slowswim
September 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM
To give up both, you need to remember that there is life out there, and real people, animals and environments that are interesting to talk to, look at, and interact with.

Are you saying there is no life or real people here?:confused:

I feel like Rod Serling just walked in and told me I'm only a TV character andf my show just got cancelled.:cry:
:rofl:

The Fortress
September 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Interesting point. Does virtual social interaction = real social interaction? I have a friend at Microsoft whose job is to study this issue from an anthropological/consumer behavior perspective. His answer is yes. So don't cry, Bill.

smontanaro
September 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Interesting point. Does virtual social interaction = real social interaction? I have a friend at Microsoft whose job is to study this issue from an anthropological/consumer behavior perspective. His answer is yes.

You would think, a priori, that that is the case in situations were direct social interaction is difficult or impossible. The Internet has the ability (both good and bad) to create social networks where none was possible before. What are the chances I could interact in a meaningful way with people from all over the world about even routine activities like swimming without the Internet (and the email/web communications it provides)?

Now, is virtual interaction equivalent to face-to-face interaction where ftf is practical? I'm not so sure about that.

Skip

The Fortress
September 28th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Better a warm body, if possible.

But, because of virtual socialization, I've met, dined with, practiced with and chatted on the phone with people from this forum. One poster even saved me from disaster after my cap ripped as I headed to the blocks for my last 50 free.

Since most of us don't live next door or are at home with kids, the internet is pretty cool. Why, I've even gotten reports from Anaheim.

Slowswim
September 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Interesting point. Does virtual social interaction = real social interaction? I have a friend at Microsoft whose job is to study this issue from an anthropological/consumer behavior perspective. His answer is yes. So don't cry, Bill.

I guess it just a new form of interacting. There once was a time that a letter was considered impersonal.

Times change, but people still need each other.:2cents:

geochuck
September 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Just been on 19 minutes over my 1 hour a day..

Should I stay or leave the intrnet???

Please help my Addiction!!!

After thought this coffee I am drinking is it ever good - my other addiction...

bud
September 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM
... I feel like Rod Serling just walked in and told me I'm only a TV character and my show just got cancelled....

that's a riot. like waking up one day and finding out your life is like "The Truman Show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truman_Show)".

Interesting point. Does virtual social interaction = real social interaction? I have a friend at Microsoft whose job is to study this issue from an anthropological/consumer behavior perspective. His answer is yes....

i reckon it should not surprise me that MS pays people to think about this stuff, but i never would have guessed it. thanks for the tip. ;-)

the debate will go on forever i reckon. do computers really save us time? do they really benefit our lives? with any luck i'll be dead before anyone comes up with the truth. i'm not a Luddite by any stretch of the imagination, but i do frequently wonder how good all this newfangled technology REALLY is for humanity and the planet in general.

i once worked with a guy who solemnly told me how he was in the paper industry when PC's first hit the market in the early '80's, heralding the "paperless office". he and all his other executive buddies were sweating HUGE bullets, full of fear and foreboding for their industry. he then laughed and said the PC was the best thing that ever happened to the paper industry, that shortly after PC's became really popular their sales went through the roof. What A Waste Of Paper!!!

3strokes
September 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Please help my Addiction!!!

I hear that Intel is coming out with a miniature e-patch.

geochuck
September 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I have been looking for quick talk suggestions to use so I do not speed so much time on the net.

I have some

MYOB - mind your own business.

TTYL - talk to you later.

Give me more!!!

islandsox
October 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
I have been looking for quick talk suggestions to use so I do not speed so much time on the net.

I have some

MYOB - mind your own business.

TTYL - talk to you later.

Give me more!!!

Too Funny and for a guy who tried to stay away, we are already on page 2 of this thread :rofl:.

bud
October 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM
I have been looking for quick talk suggestions to use so I do not speed so much time on the net... Give me more!!!

so you REALLY want to waste some time...

google: <chat text acronym emoticon list (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=chat+text+acronym+emoticon+list)>
that'll keep you busy for a while.

don't forget emoticons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon)... a picture is worth a THOUSAND words!! :-o

wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang_phrases) is always a great source (and usually includes a list of "see also" pages)

some of my fav's (you'll have to look 'em up :-p ):
iirc
btw
imho
rotflmao (and related variations)

(maybe) to save you a bit of time... if you want...

this is an exhaustive list of Chat Acronyms & Text Messaging Shorthand (http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm)

this is an exhaustive list of emoticons (http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/smileys.html)

abbreviations.com (http://www.abbreviations.com/bmc.asp?c=INTERNET) looks purty slick for looking up acronyms.

then there are huge lists of lists (Directories!): :-&

google directory of "smileys"
(http://www.google.com/Top/Arts/Visual_Arts/ASCII_Art/Smileys/)

Yahoo! Computing Acronyms and Abbreviations Directory (http://dir.yahoo.com/Reference/Acronyms_and_Abbreviations/Computing/)

more, more, more, ... !!!!

geochuck
October 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Bud

TKU4UK

Redbird Alum
October 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM

No, no, no... my comment had to do with GeoChuck suggesting he would give up the internet for television. At least with the internet he does have the opportunity for "virtual interaction"! TV is all one-way...

(Unless you count text message responses and call-ins to QVC! :) )

bud
October 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM

"Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time."

-- T. S. Elliot

The Fortress
October 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM

"Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time."

-- T. S. Elliot

Great quote!! Love that.

newmastersswimmer
October 4th, 2007, 11:52 PM

I feel like Rod Serling just walked in and told me I'm only a TV character andf my show just got cancelled.:cry:
:rofl:

Its not just the internet actually....I'm now convinced that everyone I come in contact with (via the internet or any other medium including face to face communication) are all just figments of my imagination. So basically I've now recently come to realize that I am the only real entity that exists in the universe....I have concocted the rest of you in my mind to protect my conscious mind from the realization that I am all alone in the universe.....Unfortunately the ruse is now up and I have to invent some new trick to keep myself from going completely mad LOL!

meldyck
October 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Jim, I believe you ARE completely mad. Now all you have to do is enjoy yourself and stop worrying. Just don't attend any birthday parties on the other side of the looking glass..

Slowswim
October 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Jim:

Since you concocted me, could you please make me a better swimmer. Oh, what did you do with my hair?:notworthy:

newmastersswimmer
October 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Jim, I believe you ARE completely mad. Now all you have to do is enjoy yourself and stop worrying. Just don't attend any birthday parties on the other side of the looking glass..

The problem is that I don't know which side of the looking glass is the real side and which side is the side made up of psychedelic flashbacks and what not LOL! (only joking of course!...)

And Bill, Sorry about the hair thing....I think I made a good portion of mine vanish too though LOL! I decided to just add a little bit to my midsection to make up for the lost hair though so its all cool LOL!

Slowswim
October 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
And Bill, Sorry about the hair thing....I think I made a good portion of mine vanish too though LOL! I decided to just add a little bit to my midsection to make up for the lost hair though so its all cool LOL!

That's Okay. :(

My wife probably wouldn't have married me if I wasn't going bald back than. But you did a great job on her though...She's perfect (except for her poor taste in men, thanx for that too).
:banana:

Sofia88
May 4th, 2016, 03:48 PM
If you are "addicted" then it is best to set limits for yourself. Otherwise you can get carried away and miss most of a beautiful day!

Gary P
May 5th, 2016, 02:14 PM
If you are "addicted" then it is best to set limits for yourself. Otherwise you can get carried away and miss most of a beautiful day!

You do realize this thread is almost 10 years old, don't you? You seem to be replying to lot of very old threads lately. Are you a real person? A lot of your posts seem like the work of a spambot, but others seem legit. Call me confused. :dunno:

ElaineK
May 5th, 2016, 03:13 PM
You do realize this thread is almost 10 years old, don't you? You seem to be replying to lot of very old threads lately. Are you a real person? A lot of your posts seem like the work of a spambot, but others seem legit. Call me confused. :dunno:

Gary, much of what you said I was thinking. After all, I was wished "happy birthday" when it happened more than three months ago! It's bizarre to see so many old threads pop up from BEFORE I joined USMS, and that was in February, 2010! :rolleyes:

orca1946
May 6th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Is this a sign of "old timers dementia"?