PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Kicking - Misty Hyman

ande
September 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Dolphin Kicking - Misty Hyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqmA9h43x4g&NR

The Fortress
September 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
That looks like a clip from her goswim video.

You will note the use of an MF. :mooning: It's a lot longer than mine. I read somewhere that she used it for 1200+ of her practice.

She looks very elegant. And that kind of training doesn't look too hard on the shoulders.

smontanaro
September 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
And that kind of training doesn't look too hard on the shoulders.

At my age I find that I just trade shoulders for knees. One or the other often hurts to some degree. Yesterday my knees were a bit sore so I left the zoomers in my locker.

Skip Montanaro

RecreationalSwimmer
September 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Fins are cool. Maybe I'll get me a pair of those. Pretty little mermaid.

marksman
September 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Wow. She's really fluid.

I've seen some of the Univ. team members doing the "rotating SDK" underwater that misty was doing, where they corkscrew as they do their SDK. Maybe it helps with SDK off of turns.

There was an interesting sdk drill at the end of the vid...instead of doing sdk on her back, she does it on her stomach, at the surface, along with some sort of sculling motion with her arms in front.

The Fortress
September 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM
We did the spin drill in practice last week. Here's a link:

http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=2546_0_20_0_C

marksman
September 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
That's it. Thanks for the link Fortress. Looks like a good drill.

Syd
September 29th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Thanks Fortress. Tried that drill today. Don't know about anyone else but I am much better on my back and stomach than on my sides. In fact I am best on my back for some unknown reason. I seem to lose rhythm on my sides and hardly have any forward propulsion.

Misty Hyman makes it look so effortless. Ah! I have something to aspire to. Somehow, I think women just do dolphing kicking more fluidly and more attractively than men!

Syd

Josh54
September 29th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Somehow, I think women just do dolphing kicking more fluidly and more attractively than men!

Syd

Yes, I've noticed that too. I think men do more of a "power fly" while women do a more fluid fly. I think this is due to better joint flexibility. Also it maybe a Venus/Mars kind of thing - why power thru when you can finesse thru?

Or am I getting too philosophical here? :blah:

The Fortress
September 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Yes, I've noticed that too. I think men do more of a "power fly" while women do a more fluid fly. I think this is due to better joint flexibility. Also it maybe a Venus/Mars kind of thing - why power thru when you can finesse thru?

Or am I getting too philosophical here? :blah:

Too philosophical (although I enjoy philosophy)! I use power, baby. :agree: Although I admit to flexibility.

Everyone has their preference -- side, front, back. I'm fastest on my tummy. Ande says he's fastest on his back. I try to do 4 point dolphin kicking every practice: tummy, left side, right side, back, with and without a monofin. Lots of 25 shooters. If you practice, you'll improve. I have had USA coaches tell me that side dolphin kicking is great for fly.

Paul Smith
September 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I think the single biggest thing this video shows/offers is an "its OK to play" mentality. So often I swim swimmers completely focused on their "routine" or "yardage" when the reality is the more that us old folks can find our "inner kid" and explore different ways of moving thru the water....the sooner we will see break throughs. So often people get caught up in what others are doing and not paying attention to how that may apply to us based on our age, injuries, flexibility, etc. that we are "rigid" in our practice...

swimr4life
September 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I think the single biggest thing this video shows/offers is an "its OK to play" mentality. So often I swim swimmers completely focused on their "routine" or "yardage" when the reality is the more that us old folks can find our "inner kid" and explore different ways of moving thru the water....the sooner we will see break throughs. So often people get caught up in what others are doing and not paying attention to how that may apply to us based on our age, injuries, flexibility, etc. that we are "rigid" in our practice...

So true! I have to remind myself sometimes to lighten up and just have fun in workout. :party2:

The Fortress
September 29th, 2007, 11:19 PM

I agree, Mr. Fun. :party2:

I totally poached your Ventura workout today. Those 20 x 25s were quite fun. Threw in a lot of the spin fly drill and shooters. I like to play with my swim toys and underwater work. My shoulders like it a lot more than 10 x 200 free.

No knee problems yet, Skip. It's because I wasn't an evilstroker in youth. :lolup: :thhbbb:

Slowswim
October 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM

I noticed her knees come apart. I try very hard to keep my knees and feet together. Is this personal preference or am I doing it wrong?

some_girl
October 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
I noticed her knees come apart. I try very hard to keep my knees and feet together. Is this personal preference or am I doing it wrong?

There is a whole drill post about that from earlier this year: http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=4240_0_20_0_C

Slowswim
October 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
There is a whole drill post about that from earlier this year: http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=4240_0_20_0_C

Excellent video Thanx!