PDA

View Full Version : My first meet in 24 years!

Syd
September 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I signed up for the Taiwan LCM Masters meet on the 20 - 21st of next month. Here's the link for anyone who is interested (and who can read Chinese): http://www.masterswim.org.tw/new-9.htm. I've entered the 50,100 and 200 Free and the 50 and 100 Fly.

I can already smell the chlorine, hear the starter's pistol and feel the butterflies in my stomach! Come to think of it they probably don't have starter's pistols anymore. It is probably all electronic.

I haven't even got there and already I am starting to have all sorts of doubts. Have I entered too many events? Am I fit enough? My starts and turns are apalling. Are they going to hold up? The last time I, literally, stood on a starting block was 24 years ago. The pool I train in doesn't even have them!

I have never completed a legal 100m Fly either. Well not in competition anyway and I have only recently started to incorporate fly into my training!

Actually I am more worried about the 200m free though. I never used to swim that competitively either and it will be my first event. I am worried it is going to tire me out for the rest of the events and I won't perform at my best.

Anyway despite all my worries I am actually really excited and now have even more of a purpose when training.

Syd

geochuck
September 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Good Luck - Press On..

I remember my first meet after not racing for about 25 years. I was fine until I got on the starting block. It seemed like I was starting from a 10m diving tower. I suddenly remembered that I had not done a diving start for over 35 years. During all the years of racing in Marathon races we were either in the water, or run in from the beach starts.

The Fortress
September 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I agree with George, press on Syd! I had the same exact 24 year hiatus. Very nervous the week before my first meet. Hadn't used a starting block until warm up. I signed up for 5 events and scratched one. Just hop in and get some baseline times. You'll feel great. Meets can really keep you motivated in practice, and it's good to set goals. Nothing to do but do it!!

P.S. I almost never feel as fit as I should. And most races are not error-free. There are always things to improve/fix. Don't let the little things get in the way of the bigger thing: You're out there competing and hopefully having fun.

Syd
September 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the encouragement George and Fortress. I keep telling myself it is going to be fun no matter what! I am keeping my options open to scratch an event if needs be, but hopefully I won't have to. You are quite right: I need some baseline times so that I have something to improve on. It has been so long since I competed I really can't remember accurately what times I used to do. (I can remember to the second but not to the hundredth of the second). Moreover, I don't even have inaccurate times for the 200 free and 100 fly! I really just threw in those two events to challenge myself. Thank god there is no 200 fly because I might just be tempted to do that too and that race demands energy reserves I just don't have, yet. In fact, if you looked at the programme you would have noticed that there is no event longer than 200m. Not sure of the reason for this. Will have to wait and see.

sincerely
Syd

Blackbeard's Peg
October 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Git'r Done, Syd!
Good Luck and have fun!

Red60
October 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
Great to hear you're taking the plunge! You'll enjoy it. Low expectations (from a speed standpoint) are appropriate, so no matter what happens you'll be okay with the result and ready to improve from there. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Syd
October 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Blackbeard's Peg and Red60!

[QUOTE]Low expectations (from a speed standpoint) are appropriate, so no matter what happens you'll be okay with the result and ready to improve from there./QUOTE]

Yes! As it is the first time in 24 years I promised myself I am going to be lenient with myself!

The reality of it all is starting to sink in now and I am starting to get all worked up about what I should be eating and how I should be training etc, etc. I can't really remember what I did 'way back when' and it probably isn't appropriate now so I am just going to do 'what feels right and good' and take it from there. Next time I will know better.

Thanks for your support.

Syd

geochuck
October 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Don't worry about your food intake. Eat what tastes good and does not make you barf. Well balanced protein,fats and carbs.

It sounds like you are ready. Once you hit the water you will know what you have to do.

FindingMyInnerFish
October 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Congrats on getting up the courage to enter! Enjoy the experience!

I am not a fast swimmer at all, but I have entered some meets and set my own goals, not worrying about how fast others will be, and it's great to just give it a try, find out what I can do and what I want to work on for next time. And there have been several "next times"! As you'll find, I'm sure! A master's coach I used to work with headed his workout sheets, "Do the best that you can do. Don't worry about what others are doing." It's kept me together in countless races, not only swimming but running as well!

I have to confess, I don't even use the start blocks. A swimmer friend told me that one could start in the water, and so I have done that and have seen others do so as well--or just dove off the side of the pool, not the blocks. Now my "next time goal" is to start off the block. (I know I probably have looked wimpy starting in water, but so be it... It was a step forward for me to even enter, and I wasn't going to worry what it looked like to others.)

But whatever start or events you choose, may it all be fun!

geochuck
October 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
FindingMyInnerFish

The dive keep it simple, keep streamlined, enter the water hands first head tucked in, have a target set up, imagine a small hole.

Now everything has to go thru the hole one at a time. Hands, head ,shoulders body, hips, legs then toes.

cathlaur
October 2nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Good luck Syd:cheerleader:. I think it is great that you have entered a meet. I have not swam for 22 years and just got back at it in September. I dont think I am ready for a meet yet but hope one day to enter some. I am just trying to get used to the early mornings and the practices.

I cannot wait to hear how you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie

ande
October 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
good luck
go get 'em
swim fast

ande

I signed up for the Taiwan LCM Masters meet on the 20 - 21st of next month. Here's the link for anyone who is interested (and who can read Chinese): http://www.masterswim.org.tw/new-9.htm. I've entered the 50,100 and 200 Free and the 50 and 100 Fly.

I can already smell the chlorine, hear the starter's pistol and feel the butterflies in my stomach! Come to think of it they probably don't have starter's pistols anymore. It is probably all electronic.

I haven't even got there and already I am starting to have all sorts of doubts. Have I entered too many events? Am I fit enough? My starts and turns are apalling. Are they going to hold up? The last time I, literally, stood on a starting block was 24 years ago. The pool I train in doesn't even have them!

I have never completed a legal 100m Fly either. Well not in competition anyway and I have only recently started to incorporate fly into my training!

Actually I am more worried about the 200m free though. I never used to swim that competitively either and it will be my first event. I am worried it is going to tire me out for the rest of the events and I won't perform at my best.

Anyway despite all my worries I am actually really excited and now have even more of a purpose when training.

Syd

Syd
October 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Findingmyinnerfish, Cathlaur and Ande, thanks for your support! 17 days to go and its foremost on my mind right now. :groovy:

Syd

Syd
October 22nd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Well, I did it and I am back. Here's how it went.

The BAD NEWS:

I had to scratch 3 events. I hadn't read the rules properly. Each competitor was restricted to two events (excluding the relays) and I had entered five. My entry had somehow slipped through the cracks so I went to the meet prepared to swim all of them. Unfortunately I was only told this after my first event: the 200m Free. Had I known before I wouldn't have swum that event as it is not my best. To make matters worse, because I had entered so many I had decided beforehand to take it easy on the 200m Free and use it as a warm up.

My video camera, which I had so diligently charged the night before we left for the competition, somehow and inexplicably went completely dead.

The GOOD NEWS:

I won both my events. I broke the meet record for the 50m free.:D

In the 200m Free, I did the first 100 in a 1:05.07. When I saw that I was out in front at the turn, I held back. I did the third 50 in 36.30 and the last in 34.97 for a total time of 2:16:34. I was quite pleased with that result as I had never gone faster than 2:23 in practice (timing myself from a push off the wall). Also, I still had a lot of energy left at the end of the race and hardly felt out of breath. The second place competitor came in at 2:34:82. I just was disappointed in retrospect because, had I known before I jumped in the water that I could only swim one more event, I would have swum it differently.

I did a 27:30 for the 50m Free. That was enough to win and break the meet record of 28:55. I know I said I wouldn't be hard on myself as it was my first meet in 24 years, but I have to say I was really disappointed when I looked up at the board. I was at least expecting a 26 something. My fastest time recently was a 26:52 and I was hoping to, at least, equal or better that.

More good news. My wife's small digital camera had enough space on it to record my 50m Free. I put it up on youtube and would really appreciate any comments or criticism. It is a small camera so the quality isn't great but it is sufficient. The voice in the background is my wife giving me encouragement! I am the swimmer in lane six. Second from the end with the black cap and dark navy swimming briefs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Nry3Gvupo

The fact that I had to scratch 3 events meant that I could take my wife and daughter sightseeing. And we had an excellent time! We did so much it felt like we were there for a week instead of 2 days.

And I met so many people. Made new friends from all over (there were even Hong Kong and Japanese teams out) and we have swapped e-mail addresses and they are going to let me know about future meets.

One member of the Japanese team was a member of the 1984 Japanese Olympic squad and he did a 26 low for the 50m Fly. His other event was the 200m IM. I think he went 2:17 for that. Quite impressive. He was also in my age group:40 - 44 although he is 3 years older than me at 43.

So all in all it was very worthwhile and now, at least, I have two times to improve on!

sincerely Syd

ande
October 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
congratulations

ande

Well, I did it and I am back. Here's how it went.

The BAD NEWS:

I had to scratch 3 events. I hadn't read the rules properly. Each competitor was restricted to two events (excluding the relays) and I had entered five. My entry had somehow slipped through the cracks so I went to the meet prepared to swim all of them. Unfortunately I was only told this after my first event: the 200m Free. Had I known before I wouldn't have swum that event as it is not my best. To make matters worse, because I had entered so many I had decided beforehand to take it easy on the 200m Free and use it as a warm up.

My video camera, which I had so diligently charged the night before we left for the competition, somehow and inexplicably went completely dead.

The GOOD NEWS:

I won both my events. I broke the meet record for the 50m free.:D

In the 200m Free, I did the first 100 in a 1:05.07. When I saw that I was out in front at the turn, I held back. I did the third 50 in 36.30 and the last in 34.97 for a total time of 2:16:34. I was quite pleased with that result as I had never gone faster than 2:23 in practice (timing myself from a push off the wall). Also, I still had a lot of energy left at the end of the race and hardly felt out of breath. The second place competitor came in at 2:34:82. I just was disappointed in retrospect because, had I known before I jumped in the water that I could only swim one more event, I would have swum it differently.

I did a 27:30 for the 50m Free. That was enough to win and break the meet record of 28:55. I know I said I wouldn't be hard on myself as it was my first meet in 24 years, but I have to say I was really disappointed when I looked up at the board. I was at least expecting a 26 something. My fastest time recently was a 26:52 and I was hoping to, at least, equal or better that.

More good news. My wife's small digital camera had enough space on it to record my 50m Free. I put it up on youtube and would really appreciate any comments or criticism. It is a small camera so the quality isn't great but it is sufficient. The voice in the background is my wife giving me encouragement! I am the swimmer in lane six. Second from the end with the black cap and dark navy swimming briefs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Nry3Gvupo

The fact that I had to scratch 3 events meant that I could take my wife and daughter sightseeing. And we had an excellent time! We did so much it felt like we were there for a week instead of 2 days.

And I met so many people. Made new friends from all over (there were even Hong Kong and Japanese teams out) and we have swapped e-mail addresses and they are going to let me know about future meets.

One member of the Japanese team was a member of the 1984 Japanese Olympic squad and he did a 26 low for the 50m Fly. His other event was the 200m IM. I think he went 2:17 for that. Quite impressive. He was also in my age group:40 - 44 although he is 3 years older than me at 43.

So all in all it was very worthwhile and now, at least, I have two times to improve on!

sincerely Syd

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
:applaud:WOW Syd

That is incredible. Good for you. Those are some incredible times.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Katie

Syd
October 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks Ande and Katie.

Syd

geochuck
October 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Syd you did well.

Hola from Mexico - I had a little swim today. Water in the pool was very warm.

Syd
October 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Syd you did well.

Ohla from Mexico - I had a little swim today. Water in the pool was very warm.

You in Mexico now? I guess the weather over there is similar to the weather in Taiwan. We only really have two seasons here: one very hot and the other hot. Enjoy the warm pool. Oh, and the tacos, enchiladas, fajitas....I just love Mexican food.:D

I learned so much at this meet. Firstly, despite my warm up thread I didn't warm up enough. I was too nervous. After doing a 400 and a couple of sprints I had to stop. My stomach felt all churned up.

Secondly, I have to improve my kicking. It is really very weak.

Thirdly, if you wathched the video you would have noticed not SDK'ing. I decided at the last minute that my SDK was too weak and might actually slow me down.

Lastly, I was also last off the blocks. I have a lot of work to do there too.

At least it gives me something to improve on.

Ni hao! from Taiwan.

Syd