PDA

View Full Version : Masters swimming in Sun City West or Surprise

StanD
September 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I have spent the better part of 4 hours scouring the Internet for a Masters group training in the Surprise area and have come up blank. My wife and I are thinking of moving to Sun City West and although they have three nice pools they apparently have no swimming competitors.

Does anyone know of a group in the area? I would hate to think that I'll have to workout alone without a coach and the companionship of a Masters group if we make the move.

I can't believe there aren't some athletic older folks in Sun City West that aren't interested in more than water aerobics!

:doh:

Cheers
Stan

geochuck
September 29th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Find a pool near by see if they list a club. www.swimmersguide.com

Kurt Dickson
September 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
There is slim pickens in the Northwest Valley. There are essentially 4 masters teams in Arizona--Sun Devil (Tempe), Brophy (central phoenix), Scottsdale Aquatics (I believe a satellite of Sun Devil), and Ford (Tucson). I believe there are some smaller ones but those are the main ones that do any competition. From Sun City you could go east and try Arrowhead Country Club (North Glendale--SunWest swimming--http://www.swimsunwest.com/) or south to Goodyear and try West Side SilverFins. They both have smaller programs (I think most of them are triathletes). Good Luck and watch out for those rabid water-aerobic types--they can be crazy, especially in Sun City.:fish2:

Paul Smith
September 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Mr. Dickson....welcome to the forums! For those who don't know Kurt besides being a swimming machine...he also is a Doc who was one of the key heroes who responded to Ron Johnson's heart attack this past spring and helped save his life!

There are also some great programs in Flagstaff, Prescott, etc. and you can find good info at: www.azlmsc.org

StanD
September 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I was afraid of that. I lived in Sun City West (SCW) from 2000 to 2003 and at that time I found one other person who actually did any swimming for more than just pleasure. His name is Dale Webster and he and I competed in the 2002 Arizona State meet. A Google search shows that he is still competing in the Arizona State meets in the 75+ age group with back stroke being his specialty. I was hoping things had changed in 4 years.

We had a nice woman, whose name I can no longer recall, who coached the two of us twice a week. She was actually pretty good and very hands on with only two swimmers. But no one joined us and most seemed to resent that we were doing 3000 yard work outs in the Sun City Palmer pool.

In the USMS website under "Places to Swim" they list Edna Laflin as a contact for SC and SCW. Even when I was living there this gal was not reachable and never returned phone calls. I saw some where in my searching the internet that she has passed away last year.

I'll have to give Dale a call. I think I found his current phone number. Maybe we can form a team of two or more and find a coach. Since I left SCW in 2003 my running, and biking have gotten slower due to age, but my swimming has slightly improved due to the encouragement and coaching in masters. I am hoping that even after my running has deteriorated to nothing I'll still be able to swim.

Austin is terrific for swimming. There are at least 5 Masters teams that I know of and about 6 or 7 open water swims (not including triathlons). If you include San Antonio there's even more going on.

I'm sure it'll work out.

Cheers and thanks for your replys:cheerleader:
Stan

meldyck
October 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Stan,

contact Frank Eissing, in Surprise, at (623) 975-2421. He coaches a Sun City swim group and competes under their banner.

Tell him Mel Dyck sent you...

gmh686s
August 12th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I know this is an old post, but has there been any programs set up? I still can't find any in my searches. Is there an age restriction on any of the Sun City programs??? I am so disappointed at the complete and utter lack of quality pools in this area--This is Arizona for goodness sake!

StanD
August 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
When I was living in SCW (Sun City West) there was no program at all. I found one other person there who swam competitively, Dale Webster and we used to work out together. SCW has a good pool; 25 yards indoors. They have 3 as I recall. One is excellent and even has a diving area, but is used by most of the very elderly and is evacuated often due to "accidents". They keep the chlorine level very high in the two indoor pools and I eventually developed a reaction to it. Evidently the high level is due to frequent pool accidents. The outdoor pool was better, but it has some weird non-standard distance.

SCG (Sun City Grand) has an excellent pool modern pool and had masters program when I was there. The problem with all the Sun Cities recreation centers is that you must be a resident and there is no cross sharing; i.e., if you reside in SCW you are not allowed to participate in the SCG swimming or use the pool.

Now that was in 2003 when I moved and I don't know the status now. I was considering moving back to Arizona and one of the reasons my wife and I haven't is the lack of good quality programs near the Sun Cities. To the east of Phoenix there's all kinds of programs if you don't mind long commutes in the horrible traffic conditions.

Goodyear has a masters program, but there's not too much information available and they are apparently focused on younger swimmers.

What Sun City needs is someone with good organizational skills, motivation and coaching skills to form a group. I have to believe that there are some former swimmers that would be interested in a little more than water aerobics!

Ciao,
SD

Doug Adamavich
August 20th, 2008, 12:30 AM
There are three teams in the Sun City area. Here are the teams and contact information:

Sun City Grand Masters
Surprise
Frank Eissing
623-975-2421
fandpeissing@juno.com

Sun City Starrs
Sun City
Dorothy Keller
623-977-3191

Sun City West Swimmers
Sun City West
Lois McDonald
623-910-7900
rigger6@cox.net

The website (www.azlmsc.org (http://www.azlmsc.org)) will have the team page updated before Labor Day and the list of Places to Swim will be updated soon thereafter. We will send all of this information to USMS to be posted there too but that may take a coupla months to get uploaded >:>

Hope this helps.

StanD
August 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know about the other coaches, but when I was living in SCW Lois coached two of us at Palm Ridge. She is a great coach and helped my swimming quite a bit. I'm glad to hear she is leading a masters group in SCW.

Cheers,
SD