PDA

View Full Version : swimming ADD??

dreamer
September 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
It is soo hard for me to concentrate during lap swim at my pool. Anyone else have this issue? Today i did my regular saturday morning swim. As I am traveling to the pool, I decide I am going to count how many laps I did today. I start counting as I go and then find myself trying to count my breaths for each length, or figure out a new drill to try, or why the heck is this person in front of me as slow as molasses in my lane? THEN, I rest when i hit the wall, and check out the other lanes..I get all competitive with strangers in the other lanes and it just ends embarassingly for myself. haha. On the way home, im mad that i didnt keep track of my laps n stuff. I dont time myslef as of yet because of my unorganized workouts thus far. I am going to join a masters team very very soon, hopefully that will remedy some of my issue. :shakeshead:

Concho Pearl
September 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I loose count after 4 laps- LOL, and forget what we're swimming.

My mind goes all over the place when I swim. from counting laps to what I'm fixing for dinner.
I even asked Coach to write what we're doing on the board. He laughs at me say
okay, maybe you'll do it. I think it's funny. But having it written down does help alot, even if I loose count, sometimes it's not just me, it's who I'm following. It's funny if the lane "leader" looses count we all fall short, because we are just following the leader.
I do tend to pay more attention when I"m the leader.

Now if I can just remember the time intervals I'll be doing good.

pwolf66
September 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I am going to join a masters team very very soon, hopefully that will remedy some of my issue. :shakeshead:

No it won't, cause the other folks in your lane will be asking you what the interval is. I just give them blank looks.

I hear you on the losing count. I hate going over 200 cause I always lose count. Then again, that's why I'm ussually doing the SPRINT workout not the silly distance one.

Join the Masters team now, trust me, you'll get a lot more out of it than swimming laps by yourself. I did that for the entire months of July and August and after 2 weeks of Masters work outs, I know I would have been better off doing half the work out with others than all of my laps by myself.

Paul

inklaire
September 30th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I lose count unless I've got an eye on the clock/watch. So if I'm swimming alone and can keep the pace I've set, I know how far I've gone. In a lane with others of varying speeds, I'm clueless. I guess 15m of swimming ultraslowly behind a wide kick breaststroker just throws my math off a bit, and I lose track because I'm not accustomed to having to count.

smontanaro
September 30th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Things I do at various points in the workout to help keep track of where I am when swimming alone:
open turn & peek at the clock every 100 or 200 for longer swims (500 and up) - this helps me pace myself as well
alternate 100 free, 100 non-free (especially when warming up to warm up different muscle groups)
break it down into smaller chunks - never just swim laps - it's always 4x500 or 3x300 swim/kick/pull or something similar
swim sets on intervals that aren't multiples of 30 seconds (50s on :55 or 1:05 instead of 1:00, for example) - you can tell where you are in the set by where the second hand is
if I'm doing some high count of something like 20x50 or 15x100 I have even been known to use kickboards and zoomers on the deck to count the reps in binary

HTH

Skip Montanaro

geochuck
September 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM
The clock counts for me.

Slowswim
October 1st, 2007, 10:07 AM
I always lose count so I use the lap feature on my watch. It keeps me straight but I waste time at the wall. Its: swim up, flip, get feet in place, check watch, punch button, hear beep, push off, oh wait did it beep or not, check watch again, can't see too foggy, ok its right , start swimming from dead stop, repeat every 100.
:notworking:

ande
October 1st, 2007, 11:33 AM
that's why you do sets
ie 15 x 100 on 1:10
I suggest you focus on the task at hand
think about your swimming goals
train to make them happen
join a team
show up and do what the coach tells you to do
as meets approach if you're going to them you may need to modify the work outs to accomodate your taper

It is soo hard for me to concentrate during lap swim at my pool. Anyone else have this issue? Today i did my regular saturday morning swim. As I am traveling to the pool, I decide I am going to count how many laps I did today. I start counting as I go and then find myself trying to count my breaths for each length, or figure out a new drill to try, or why the heck is this person in front of me as slow as molasses in my lane? THEN, I rest when i hit the wall, and check out the other lanes..I get all competitive with strangers in the other lanes and it just ends embarassingly for myself. haha. On the way home, im mad that i didnt keep track of my laps n stuff. I dont time myslef as of yet because of my unorganized workouts thus far. I am going to join a masters team very very soon, hopefully that will remedy some of my issue. :shakeshead:

islandsox
October 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Since I am a distance swimmer, I no longer count lengths in a pool nor loops in an ocean. I fixed this counting problem: I swim by the hour; much easier that way and then divide it all up when I finish into miles.

And we all know that the very second you ask yourself this question: was that 12 or 14, it's over; you've lost count :rofl:.

geochuck
October 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Island - count by the hour, exactly what I did. Do you also count strokes by the minute. My trainer would hold up signs eg 54 strokes, 60 strokes, 75 strokes.

If I dropped he would point up in the air which meant pick up the pace. If I was stroking too fast he gave me an up and down palm horizontal to the water motion. It became that over time I could tell how many strokes I was doing.

SwimStud
October 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM
I know what you mean! Sometimes I...

...what were you saying?

Blackbeard's Peg
October 1st, 2007, 02:35 PM
it has been said that all swimmers have ADD.
i mean, crap, those of us who aren't training on top of 20,000ft ocean trenches (Go Donna! :drink:) have only a black line to stare at for 60/75/90+ minutes during workout. with our faces in the water, its only that line and our imagination to entertain us.
I was quoted in a local paper, when asked "What do you think about over 4.4 miles?," to have thought about fellow forumite SwimmieAvsFan and playing hockey during this year's 4.4 mile bay swim.
If I were you, I wouldn't get too concerned until you bang into the wall headfirst while lost in a thought. :frustrated:

imspoiled
October 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't get too concerned until you bang into the wall headfirst while lost in a thought. :frustrated:

Um... I actually did that cooling down from the 1500 at nationals. Cruising along, doing some backstroke to unwind the arms, and not thinking about the flags at all! Just enjoying the feel of the water, until, WHAM. Direct hit on top of the head while mid stroke. :blush: That's how I knew it was time to get of the water.

pwolf66
October 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
have only a black line to stare at for 60/75/90+ minutes during workout

Hey, some are BLUE you know. :agree: I used to do that all the time, just go to my happy place. Now my happy place is filled with tired arms and thoughts of :drown: And I keep trying to click my heels together. Nope, that ain't working either.

Paul

pwolf66
October 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
I guess 15m of swimming ultraslowly behind a wide kick breaststroker just throws my math off a bit, and I lose track because I'm not accustomed to having to count.

Do what Fort suggested in the Swim Rant thread. Dive under them, turn over and wave as you go by.

Paul

dreamer
October 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM

UNfortunately blackbeard, I have on many occasions banged my head on the wall, and oh what a lump i endured.. As a multitasker, i also banged my right foot on the lane line from an intense foot cramp on that same lap, haha.

dreamer
October 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
thanks all for your ideas!!! :wave: I'll let u know how it goes..

Blackbeard's Peg
October 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
UNfortunately blackbeard, I have on many occasions banged my head on the wall, and oh what a lump i endured.. As a multitasker, i also banged my right foot on the lane line from an intense foot cramp on that same lap, haha.

wow, dreamer, you need to stop dreaming, or staring at the eye candy on deck/in the next lane and start concentrating more on your swim!

try counting your strokes every length. after a while, you'll realize that it takes you x strokes before you hit your turn, and you'll start preparing yourself as you approach that number. For example, in backstroke, I have 15 strokes per 25. Once I hit 10, head is back further and looking for the flags at 12/13, then its one stroke, and flip.

islandsox
October 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
And I really get irritated when a fellow in another lane interrupts my "meditating" swim to tell me my swim suit top is below my you-know-whats. that's because all of my suits are ripped, torn, and held together by safety pins. And because I am A.D.D.'ing, I never realized it; I was just cruising along minding my own business trying to forget about that darned lane line that won't go on forever. It always stops at the wall, gosh, can someone fix that please?

inklaire
October 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Do what Fort suggested in the Swim Rant thread. Dive under them, turn over and wave as you go by.

Paul

That would be frowned upon, I expect, during practice. ;)

CreamPuff
October 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
i mean, crap, those of us who aren't training on top of 20,000ft ocean trenches (Go Donna! :drink:) have only a black line to stare at for 60/75/90+ minutes during workout. with our faces in the water, its only that line and our imagination to entertain us.
I was quoted in a local paper, when asked "What do you think about over 4.4 miles?," to have thought about fellow forumite SwimmieAvsFan and playing hockey during this year's 4.4 mile bay swim.

I have swimming ADD (must constantly swim with different people in different environments or I get bored), but swimming cures any of my slight OCD tendencies out of the pool. Interesting. Go figure. All the boring back and forth over the black line is an OCDers dream! :rofl:

SwimStud
October 5th, 2007, 08:11 AM
All the boring back and forth over the black line is an OCDers dream! :rofl:

Only if you do the same number of laps and insist on the same lane every time...

ensignada
October 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM
One thing I've done when swimming straight laps is to vary my breathing pattern by 100s: 100 breathe bilateral, 100 breathe strong side, 100 breathe weak side, repeat. Chunking it that way seems to help.

Btw, kudos to whomever suggested this to me as a way of learning to breathe bilaterally. It worked! :wine:

poolraat
October 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Only if you do the same number of laps and insist on the same lane every time...

And the same kickboard, same pull buoy, same.....Quit talking about me!

SwimStud
October 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
And the same kickboard, same pull buoy, same.....Quit talking about me!
oooh delusional paranoid OCD disorder...

...I'm only OCD when it comes to making a pot of tea...

pwolf66
October 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
That would be frowned upon, I expect, during practice. ;)
Still funny tho :thhbbb:

Did that to my daughter yesterday. She was Not Amused. I almost drowned laughing so hard. She was doing some easy freestyle and I was doing SDKs. Just caught up to her and was seized by the Imp of the Perverse. I'm a bad parent, so sue me :banana:

Paul