PDA

View Full Version : Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen Freestyle DVD

david.margrave
September 30th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I missed her recent clinic in Seattle and so decided to get her DVD. She keeps her hands spaced more widely apart through the stroke than most people, is this the style she learned from an Australian coach? She also gets her forearms vertical pretty quickly, by raising her elbows, and applies more force earlier in the stroke than later, so that she uses her lats more than triceps. Also she keeps her feet apart during the flip turn.

I bought it from amazon but it is also in the USMS video library if you wanted to go that route. It's not that much more than the rental fee to just buy it, though.

Allen Stark
October 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
She has a column in Swimming World where she has discussed these things. Keeping her arms wide is deliberate as she believes it generates more power.Her analogy is that when you pull yourself out of the pool you have your hands apart as that is the strongest way. I'm not sure I agree with this for most swimmers,but it is hard to argue with success.

Flow Phaser
October 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
And the legs apart on turns may stem from same philosophy mentioned above re: wide hands and pool exits.

That is, if you want to jump high, do you do it with feet together or apart? I had a coach that used to profess this, but I still land fairly close together. A good habit or bad, I wonder?

Slowswim
October 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
I would think that legs apart during a free would cause a snaking action and increase drag.:2cents:

david.margrave
October 3rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
I think it's just the turn that the legs are apart. I tried it this AM and seemed to get a bit farther past the flags than usual, but that could also be due to the big dude I was drafting behind plowing the calm water out of the way for me.

swimminlyn
October 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I tried keeping my legs a little further apart also. I was able to push off more on my back and work SDKs easier as I was turning over. I had a bad habit of flipping on an angle and rotating my body so that when I pushed off I was mostly on my stomach.
As for arms wider. I felt some what faster on sprints b/c it made my turn over faster...which is a good thing. I also felt like I was riding higher in the water without really changing my body position. On the longer swims I like to be more relaxed.

david.margrave
October 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I think I'm getting farther on my push with feet apart rather than together, and today was without drafting. Of course I immediately streamline my legs after pushing off.