PDA

View Full Version : Saw a great thing Saturday

islandsox
October 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
I was driving to Circuit City and along the way I saw about 300 cars and a field full of adults and kids. The kids were playing a soccer game. After I went into the mall to Circuit City, there was an ice rink and about 60 kids, boys and girls, were taking skating lessons.

The motto to this is: it made me happy they were not in front of a computer; they were having fun with athletics. In Roatan, there are no sports for kids at all so they either hangout at beachbars or are home in front of the computer.

It made me feel really good to see all this outdoor and indoor sports-related activity.

Donna

meldyck
October 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Donna,

it is very curious to me that we have the national obesity problem that we have, given what you saw this past weekend AND the fact that there are athletic clubs on every corner of every big city filled with users. So, what's the problem with the apparent contradiction here? My theory is that the average person who works does not expend the amount of effort that our grandfathers did working on farms and in factories at a time when there were not so many mechanized helpers for labor. It would be interesting to know the truth!

bud
October 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
with kids i think it is mostly "monkey see, monkey do".

i see posts here by parents about their kids activities, and then they post about their 3-5k/day workouts. little wonder their kids are active.

but most of the parents i know are too busy, or say they are to busy, to make fitness a priority. a lot of them i bet have overweight/out-of-shape kids. but a lot of them really are too busy, because they are ferrying each of their kids to different soccer fields and ice rinks, etc., and then standing/sitting around waiting for them to finish. :-)) :-p

as i've said before... ya gotta really want it. once you get that mindset, finding the time to stay fit gets easier. for kids however, i think setting a good example is invaluable, but i can see how tough it is to do that sometimes (especially for single parents). it can be a vicious cycle.

Allen Stark
October 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM
While there are many causes of childhood obesity,one is the lack of PE and recess in some schools. Yes,the kids who are on teams get exercise,but even though it seems all the kids are on teams,many are not and don't have/make the chance to exercise.

SwimStud
October 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
While there are many causes of childhood obesity,one is the lack of PE and recess in some schools. Yes,the kids who are on teams get exercise,but even though it seems all the kids are on teams,many are not and don't have/make the chance to exercise.

PE was always good fun...even when we did something I didn't like...the PE teachers were usually more fun than the academic teachers...better sense of humour too.

If You got lippy, or to talkative (looks innocent) you got extra push ups or a longer run...no need for canes and detention.

Slowswim
October 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
PE was always good fun...even when we did something I didn't like...the PE teachers were usually more fun than the academic teachers...better sense of humour too.

If You got lippy, or to talkative (looks innocent) you got extra push ups or a longer run...no need for canes and detention.

In HS we had Coach Dudley (of softball fame). If you got lippy, you had to catch 3 pitches. That only happened once during any semester.
:bolt:

Ripple
October 1st, 2007, 09:00 PM
I hated gymn class, because I was really bad at sports and was the one always picked last when they chose sides for teams. I got more exercise from playing active games such as tag with other kids on the street. In the winter we'd go down to the rink at the community center and play skating games like crack the whip and pom pom polloway. I don't see kids playing games outdoors anymore, the days when harried mothers urged their kids to go play outside to get out of their hair for a while seems to be gone. I can understand why they would be a little worried, but I really wonder if it actually was less dangerous back then, or if we just didn't read about as much in the newspaper.

knelson
October 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
it is very curious to me that we have the national obesity problem that we have, given what you saw this past weekend AND the fact that there are athletic clubs on every corner of every big city filled with users. So, what's the problem with the apparent contradiction here?

Yeah, well most of the pools I swim at are full, too, but that doesn't mean everyone is swimming :)

Yes, lots of kids and adults are getting regular exercise, but I think for every kid you see out there on the soccer field there are probably two others sitting in front of their TV playing Halo 3.

3strokes
October 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Donna,

it is very curious to me that we have the national obesity problem that we have, given what you saw this past weekend AND the fact that there are athletic clubs on every corner of every big city filled with users. So, what's the problem with the apparent contradiction here? My theory is that the average person who works does not expend the amount of effort that our grandfathers did working on farms and in factories at a time when there were not so many mechanized helpers for labor. It would be interesting to know the truth!

You have to take into account the "laziness" or "ease" factor that's now part of the North American psyche. (The remote control syndrome. Where else but in N.Am would someone get in their car, drive for 30 minutes to get to their gym in order to walk on a treadmill for 45 minutes and then drive back another 30 minutes? And if they stop for a smoothie or a drink or a snack, they'll circle the parking lot five times (and burn a gallon of fuel) until they find a parking spot that's 20 meters closer to the Mall entrance. (And I'm not talking during a February blizzard or the hottest day in August either........).

These same people will use the handicap "Push to Open" button rather than exert a few pounds of pressure (just by leaning on the door) to open the door, while still wearing their gym headband and palm protectors.

poolraat
October 2nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
I see many people whose "workouts" are nothing more than going through the motions. No real exertion or effort, just one of those "warm and fuzzy feel good" things that do no more than build up an appetite. They then go and eat twice what they should and justify it by having just "worked out". And then they wonder why they can't lose weight.

3strokes makes a great point about driving to the gym. I'm sure we have all observed this.

RecreationalSwimmer
October 3rd, 2007, 07:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

http://parkour.net/

Looks like good cross training, readily available and cheap. We used to do it all the time, but we didn't have a name for it then.