PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Marker to ID Swim Stuff?

TomBrooklyn
October 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
What's the best way to mark swim gear to ID it and help prevent it from being taken by someone else?

smontanaro
October 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM
I marked my pull buoy and zoomers with a plain old Sharpie. It's held up pretty well, though probably could use a touch-up application...

Skip Montanaro

Donna
October 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
You can mark it all you want, I did with a sharpie and my stuff still disappeared occasionally.

The Fortress
October 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Darn stealers. :shakeshead:

Try nail polish.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 1st, 2007, 11:00 PM
Cattle Brand

TomBrooklyn
October 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Darn stealers. :shakeshead: Try nail polish.
Good idea. Most of my swim stuff is blue so Candy Apple Red would really stand out. (I'm fairly complexted with Hazel eyes. Do you think that would work for me?)

TomBrooklyn
October 2nd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Cattle Brand
Another good idea since most liquid marks will wear off over time or could be removed by someone motivated enough. I tried an engraver but it doesn't take very well on most of the stuff because it's soft rubber. I have some metal working equipment and might be able to come up with something.

I will build a fire and play this song while I do it...

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin,
Though those streams are swollin'
Keep them doggies rollin', Rawhide!

Through rain and wind and weather,
Hell bent for leather,
Wishing my gal was by my side.

All the things I'm missin',
Good villtles, love and kissin',
Will be waiting at the end of my ride.

I'll will have to act quickly before my neighbors call the fire department and they show up and shut me down.

smontanaro
October 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Another good idea since most liquid marks will wear off over time or could be removed by someone motivated enough.

No, no, no. You missed the target of the action. Muppet meant to cattle brand the thieves!

Skip Montanaro

aztimm
October 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Ever since I invested in one of those mesh bags, none of my gear has disappeared. It makes it easy to carry out on deck. When I'm done with something, I put it away. Also keeps the coaches from taking my stuff...

Slowswim
October 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Ever since I invested in one of those mesh bags, none of my gear has disappeared. It makes it easy to carry out on deck. When I'm done with something, I put it away. Also keeps the coaches from taking my stuff...

Yep me too. I've never lost anything.

Janetswims
October 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
I got some markers called "Unipaint" at an arts supply store when I was painting designs on my fins. They produce opaque colors, like nail polish, so you can write white letters (or other light colors) on a dark background if you wish. They have worked well on fins and paddles, and come in lots of colors as well as several different widths.

islandsox
October 2nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
This is sort of related to this thread. Theft in Roatan is high (naturally). When I started training for my long swim last May, I would leave bottles of gatorade and frozen water on the beach with my towel. At the end of each mile, I'd get out and hydrate.

Well, the gatorade kept disappearing and I had put some Advocare in with it and it was costing me $$$ because I had the stuff shipped down to me. I finally had had it, so I started putting laxatives in the gatorade bottle. Sure enough the first day, it disappeared, and I laughed my way thru the next 3 miles. I do this periodically and I always hear about an outbreak of flu on West End; it's not the flu.

Now I take all my water bottles in a bag and tie them to a buoy about 50 meters offshore. But my Zoomers do have little fish painted on them to differentiate them.

My gatorade is marked a little differently than yours.

Donna

TomBrooklyn
October 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Ever since I invested in one of those mesh bags, none of my gear has disappeared.
I thought that might be one of the side benefits of those. I just ordered one of them the other day.